2010 NHL Entry Draft – Day 2 – Rounds 2 – 7

By , June 26, 2010 11:06 am
Welcome to the City of Champions, Taylor Hall

Welcome to the City of Champions, Taylor Hall

Who will the Oilers add to their prospect pool, now that they’ve gone and drafted Windsor Spitfire phenom Taylor Hall?

There are still some good names out there, including some gambles such as Kirill Kabanov and John McFarland. Will the Oilers select a big d-man they need? Or will they go for a big center? Something else? Discuss here…

UPDATE:

With the 31st overall pick, the Oilers selected Tyler Pitlick. Pitlick is a centremen who played this past year for MSU – Mankato. Word is, he will play next year in the WHL for the Medicine Hat Tigers. He is described as a power forward, and apparently has very good skill on the dot. Here’s what some people had to say, taken from The Hockey’s Spy:

“Dominates faceoffs and in freshman year, is an excellent young prospect, a really good young skater and his ability to dominate a game at his level is truly impressive.”
-E.J. McGuire, Director of NHL Central Scouting

“Pitlick is excellent on the wing, where he can use his speed and size on the outside to drive to the net and use his heavy snap shot. He also possesses the ability to play center, and a year of college hockey has improved his defensive game tremendously. Despite being one of the youngest players in college hockey…he doesn’t back down from anyone physically, and has the strength to dish out his own punishment.”
-Western College Hockey Blog

A big hard-nosed centerman who can play with finesse and power. It’s that combination of skill and brawn that makes Pitlick such an intriguing prospect. … His hands are quick and smart and he moves the puck quickly with good accuracy. He plays smart all over and shoots the puck very well, with his feet moving.”
– International Scouting Services 2010 NHL Draft Guide

“Accelerates briskly out of cross-overs and blows by defenders. Has an NHL caliber shot right now. Flashed the ability to power through defenders to get to net. High energy level every shift. Can gain separation in corners with sharp twists and can turn on a dime. Patient playmaker. Long-limbed with farmboy like strength. Aggressive and finishes checks.”
– Red Line Report 2010 Draft Guide

“With little to no support on the roster, he was often forced to create and finish his own opportunities. He has a shoot first, ask questions later philosophy. At 6’2″ and 195 pounds, he still needs to fill out but has a good foundation from which to work with. Pitlick has a sizzling shot and he can pick corners, despite the fact that he scored only 11 goals this season.”
– McKeen’s 2010 NHL Draft Guide

UPDATE 2:
Oilers have traded Riley Nash to Carolina in exchange for the 46th overall pick. Then chose D Martin Marincin with that pick.

UPDATE 3:
Oilers select left winger Curtis Hamilton of the Kelowna Rockets.

101 Responses to “2010 NHL Entry Draft – Day 2 – Rounds 2 – 7”

Mr.Majestyk: How good is Ballard compared to Hamhuis? Hamhuis is looking for 4.5-5 per season. Kind of crazy money if you ask me.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470054 Ballard.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469465 Hamhuis.

Hamhuis is the guy I’d take, but yeah, 4.5 is a lot, but he’ll get it. They are fairly similar, but Hamhuis is bigger, however Ballard is very physical too.

Oilers able to move Riley Nash, thankfully. The three 2nd round picks were good picks by the Oilers. Haven’t heard too much on the 3rd round selection though

3. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan: I am still shaking my head that we didn’t take Petrovic..hope we did the right thing.

Me too Vic. I was hoping we’d take him to open up the round. I’m thinking that was a huge mistake. Pitlick is decent, but I think Petrovic is more what we need on the farm and in the pipeline.

5. victoriaoilerfan says:

I like the Martindale pick a lot.

victoriaoilerfan: I like the Martindale pick a lot.http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=527125

Big centreman with skill and likes to be physical. Nice pick. The part about being in Couture’s shadow makes him a darkhorse for sure. Could be a steal.

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

The great thing about the later rounds of the draft, they all look like good picks to me.

Yeah, after round two or so, it’s pretty much guys I’ve never heard of. lol

9. victoriaoilerfan says:

Jeremie Blain at 91. Another BIG guy. Right shot D man. Hope he developes. We need all the right handers we can get.

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

chucker: Yeah, after round two or so, it’s pretty much guys I’ve never heard of. lol

Mr.Majestyk: I agree. I’d only be concerned if I read the kids bio and it said stuff like “won’t amount to anything” but thankfully they usually highlights more than the lowlights. When you think of it, there’s a reason these guys are going in the late rounds, they either don’t possess the elite level skills, size or sense…but there’s a chance they can put it together to be an NHL contributer.

Yeah, this is all about the scouts and really taking the best educated guess on guys who are likely 2nd liners in juniors right now or play on national teams etc. As long as the bio is positive that’s pretty much all I look for at this point. I wouldn’t mind them picking up some more big bodies with decent second line numbers. We’ve gone too far on the skill and small style. We could also use a few tough D men.

12. Mr.Majestyk says:

So, should we draft a goaltender in the 5th?

14. victoriaoilerfan says:

chucker: Always draft a goalie is my feeling. You just never know with goalies. Also they can be had in the late rounds.

Well here is your goalie

victoriaoilerfan: Well here is your goaliehttp://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/2010/06/tyler-bunz-g-medicine-hat-whl.html

There we go. These guys take so long to mature, you just pick one who’s got good reviews and hope he develops. Goalies are such a gamble that I think you have to take one every year just to play the odds and keep your farm stocked.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki will be ticked that we selected Bunz instead of Conz.

Conz and Bunz. Sounds like a movie about prison life.

18. victoriaoilerfan says:

This is the guy that I am not sure about. (Marincin) Here is from Lowetide:
    Oilers trade Riley Nash to Carolina for a big D. 6.04, 187.

ISS: 40
    Bob McKenzie: 71

•Courtesy Bruins 2010 Draft Watch:

Martin Marincin, D, 6-4, 170, Slovakia (18 Feb 1992)

Posted by Lowetide at 11:26 AM 10 comments

victoriaoilerfan: This is the guy that I am not sure about. (Marincin) Here is from Lowetide:Oilers trade Riley Nash to Carolina for a big D. 6.04, 187.He competed for Team Slovakia at the 2010 World Junior Championships, as well as the 2009 and 2010 Under-18 World Championships.ISS: 40Bob McKenzie: 71•Courtesy Bruins 2010 Draft Watch:Martin Marincin, D, 6-4, 170, Slovakia (18 Feb 1992)Size and skating ability is first-round material, and he showed it off at the WJC. However, as other scouts had intimated to me earlier this season, he also demonstrated his maddening inconsistency. Looked like a stud against Team USA in the tourney’s first game, skating extremely well and moving the puck with authority while playing a solid positional game. Against Canada, he was ghastly, looking tentative, getting caught out of position and making numerous turnovers in the face of an aggressive forecheck. Tall, but slight- must add bulk to his frame. Exhibited good gap control and used his condor-like reach to keep opponents at bay and defend effectively against the rush.Overview: Defines what scouts are talking about when they say, “Good upside, but…” Has a lot of kinks to work out in his game yet. Marincin is the kind of player who polarizes opinions on him because he tends to perform in extremes. His size and mobility are what every NHL team looks for, but he’s not likely to be a player who puts up a lot of points at that level if he ever reaches it.When on top of his game, he’s involved, making the right decisions and getting the puck up the ice quickly. Given that he’s playing against men in his native Slovakia (on HC Kosice), he’ll get that chance to develop as a gangly teen. Don’t know if he did enough to crack the top-30, but will have other opportunities to sell NHL clubs on his worth.Posted by Lowetide at 11:26 AM 10 comments

Should have taken Petrovic.

20. victoriaoilerfan says:

Mr.Majestyk: Racki will be ticked that we selected Bunz instead of Conz.

Yeh I forgot about Conz. I liked him at the WJT. Wonder why we didn’t go with him instead of Bunz??

21. victoriaoilerfan says:

Well the team that won this draft is the Panthers IMO.
    Bernier
    Granlund

Draft
    Gudbranson
    Bjugstad
    Howden
    McFarland
    Petrovic
    +others I don’t know anything about.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

chucker: Should have taken Petrovic.

Petrovic was long gone by that point.

Mr.Majestyk: Petrovic was long gone by that point.Now, when you read that entire take on Marincin, is that as big or bigger gamble than Kabanov? I already know your stance on this chucker, they all have hurdles before making a contribution at the NHL level, I just never understood why people were so adamant against selecting a talent in Kabanov despite his hurdles but don’t see any problem with selecting any of these other guys who have their own issues.

Yeah I just realized that he was gone two minutes ago. Still should have picked him at 31 IMHO but Pitlick is good too.

I don’t know. I guess it may be that GMs might think it’s easier to work on a project player from NA rather than Russia? Not really sure, but Russians scare GMs and it’s not because they are less talented than they used to be. I don’t think the NHL is such a big thing for them to make a career with the KHL there now. It’s easier to just stay home and play there. Kabanov and Tarasenko are great players skillwise. It’s whether or not they come over and not having a transfer agreement really f’s it up.

Vic, I agree. Tallon has won this draft hands down. Nobody has done more to better their team this draft to this point. Let’s face it, the guy knows how to get it done. He built the Hawks into a cup contender from a very similar position to where Florida is now. The guy knows his stuff.

24. victoriaoilerfan says:

I would have gambled on McFarland before I would have gambled on either Marincin or Kabanov. But you make a good point. I think Marincin is a big gamble for a 46pick.
    As far as Petrovic goes we will never have the answer till both Pitlick and he are both in the NHL and then we can see who has the bigger impact.

I’m trying to edit my last post but it keeps scrolling all over the place without me doing anything.

I was going to add that Pitlick is a good guy and what we need, but we should have traded to move up and grab Petrovic. The guy is great and I’m getting the feeling that there is very little market for any sort of trade with any team. There have been very few deals involving real players other than the Florida/Vancouver deal. I guess that’s part of the cap world and free agency opening next week. Hopefully we see some deals yet on players.

More to the point of Marincin vs. Kabanov; That’s a great question. A D-man who is a project and struggles with consistency and a world class talent who has issues of consistency and attitude. That’s a tough call if you’re debating between the two, but it may be easier to pick Kabanov in that situation because he’s a forward and they are easier to develop. The thing with Kabanov is that he’s already on his fourth agent and been shunned by two teams. That’s really hard for me to overlook. I’m not thrilled with the Marincin pick at all though. I guess if he’d willing to develop in the A then I’m okay with it, but so few of these kids from Europe are these days with the options in Europs and KHL.

Either way you slice it it’s a risk on a player/players who have different reasons to question whether they will pan out.

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, it’s all over now. I guess they have the meetings tomorrow and drinks tonight, so there will likley be a couple of pre-UFA/buyout deals done.

Moreau, your time is up!!

Mr.Majestyk: The Thrashers selected Sebastian Owuya. They should trade him to New Jersey so he can play with Jonny Oduya.

Jhonny plays for the Thrashers lmao he was part of the Kovi deal I tohught!

30. Mr.Majestyk says:

Oduya and Owuya? Whywudya.

Racki: Well I’m not surprised that the Oilers didn’t take Conz, but I am surprised that no one took a shot on him. But hey, he’s pretty unorthodox and really all we saw him in was just a few games in the WJHCs.

I think he has to prove himself a little bit more before an NHL team takes a chance at him.

On Day2: I really like what we did in the 2nd round. I have said for about a month now we know we are getting a great player (Hall) at 1, but the 2nd round makes or breaks our draft. It sounds like Pitlick was a steal. He is going to play in the WHL next season, and has some real good potential to be a good 2nd line center. I read up on him a little bit and he had mid to late 1st round potential (Tambi even said they had him as a 1st round guy). He(Pitlick) also said he wants to be in the NHL in about 2 seasons. Not sure if that will happen, but we will see him one day in Edmonton. I hope we let him develop, play a year or two in the WHL then another year or 2 in the AHL. Let him fully develop, because he could be a good player one day. Our second 2nd rounder (In the Riley Nash deal, which I had friends calling me asking why Rick Nash was traded for a 2nd rounder, got a nice laugh lol) is the best Euro defender in the draft I read. He is a big kid and has some potential (NHL Netwrok was saying today he could be the shutdown defender the Oilers have been looking for 2-3 years down the road, and that hes a big mean kid) Since it was Craig Button I’m not sure how dead on that description is, but non the less I like the pick. Sounds like the Oilers want him in the AHL next season, and that he wants to come over to NA next season. Another good pick. 48th overall (Grebeskov trade) was Curtis Hamilton. I like the kid, and was hoping we would get him, but in the 3rd round. He had two bad injuries this past season, but was nearly a point per game before going down. He is another big boy too, which is great because we need big guys in the system. They said on NHL Netwrok that he is a guy that they think could become a real good power forward in the NHL, and he has the build to do it. Heres another guy I was excited about drafting. We had 11 picks today, and to be honest, I’ll be pumped if 5 make the NHL, and another becomes a career AHL’er(Every team needs those guys on the farm!) My bet is the Hall(no doubt he is a star), Hamilton, Pitlick, Marincin, and Blain all make the NHL one day, while Martindale, Bunz, Czerwonka all see AHL time with the Oilers in their career. It truly is too early to tell, but I am thrilled with today! How can’t I be? We got Hall and some other good prospects!

33. victoriaoilerfan says:

I am not unhappy with the draft. Mainly because of HAll of course. But we really needed some mid 1st round picks IMO. I know Tambi tried hard to get us there but just couldn’t do it.
    The picks have potential. The one I still am not sure about is Marincin. He is going to be a project IMO. But time will tell.

I am happy the Oilers didn’t move Eberle and Hemsky for #2. I would have loved to have seen more 1st round picks… but if that package truly was offered, as rumored, I think Tambellini had a bad case of sunstroke.

Seguin isn’t projected to be the next Crosby, and Hall isn’t projected to be the next Ovechkin. These guys are nice to have.. but that seemed to be big overpayment.

35. victoriaoilerfan says:

I probably would have done Eberle +Cogs for Seguin. Not Hemsky + Eberle tho. I think Seguin will be abetter player than Eberle over the long term mainly because of his size and he is a better skater.

I agree Vic.

37. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: I agree Vic.Personally I could have handled one or the other (of Hemsky/Eberle) and then Cogliano as well. I’m super glad that deal didn’t get done.. and I’m amazed that Chiarelli didn’t bite on it. It just goes to show how underrated Hemsky is. When we play Boston this year, if Hemmer is healthy, he can show them exactly what they missed out on.

One day I would like to know exactly which Oiler players were involved with the B’s and the Panthers as well. They keep that info. pretty hush hush after the fact, but still it would be interesting.

I heard it was Cogs straight up for the 15th. I think MacKenzie said so during the draft. At least he was one of the players offered. Maybe there was another, but I didn’t get that impression.

Racki: I realize our team just came off of a catastrophically bad season, but it’s amazing how little value even the better players on our team have. Really, Cogliano is pretty underrated. Even here, I think he is. I don’t think he’s top line material, no, but he’s a pretty good 2nd liner

I agree and I was hoping he’d find his way onto the top six regularly. With Hall, MPS and Eberle coming in, he’s squeezed out in a numbers game. I think this is likley what’s happening with Potulny as well unfortunatley. Both players I like. Both players seem to be targetted for trades.

I guess it won’t be so bad if the return is good, but you could easily see Cogs going to a team like Detroit or Washington/Pittsuburgh (a team with lots of depth) and scoring 25 goals regularly. Not on this team right now though.

A bad team seems to make everyone’s trade value less than what it should be.

I’m very happy with the draft, Hall is the guy I wanted, and I’m also really happy with Pitlick(we DID get both Taylor AND Tyler!).

And I like the rest of the picks as well for where they were taken, with maybe the exception of Bunz.

Anyways, a couple of thoughts to throw out there…

Let’s say Hemsky is on the block and Tambi is able to package him for something really good(Carter?)or even if we keep Hemmer, we still don’t really have much depth at RW…I know Eb’s will likely slot in as a RW, but that could be a lot of pressure to expect him to come in and be our 2nd RW…so in either scenario, how do you all feel about the Oilers taking a chance on signing Zherdev?

Apparently he wants to come back to NA, and will likely have a “something to prove” chip on his shoulder, and will likely be a decent cap hit for his skill level. In the Event Hemsky were to be traded, he could easily slot in as our #1 RW, and if not, it would be nice to have him for #2RW to sort of insulate Eberle and just add more competition to the depth chart. Thoughts?

Also, speaking of possible russians returning from the KHL with something to prove, I’d really like the Oilers to take a close look at Anton Babchuk, who would be a fanatstic Souray replacement, he’s big, strong and has a booming shot with tons of offensive upside, is still young, and will too likely be a decent cap hit. He’s a little weak in his own zone, but paired with a guy like Smid to balance that, I think might be a good fit. We could still sign a guy like Michalek/Morrison for more of a shutdown role as well. Thoughts on that?

Babchuk Scouting Report-> http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?2897

chucker:
    I agree and I was hoping he’d find his way onto the top six regularly.With Hall, MPS and Eberle coming in, he’s squeezed out in a numbers game.I think this is likley what’s happening with Potulny as well unfortunatley.Both players I like.Both players seem to be targetted for trades.I guess it won’t be so bad if the return is good, but you could easily see Cogs going to a team like Detroit or Washington/Pittsuburgh (a team with lots of depth) and scoring 25 goals regularly.Not on this team right now though.A bad team seems to make everyone’s trade value less than what it should be.

Well said, agreed completely Chucker

Lines related to my above post.

Penner Gagner Hemsky

MPS Horcoff Brule
    Jones Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
    Smid Babchuk
    Peckham Morrison

/BONER!

I don’t think we’ll be contenders, but playoff team for sure.

Hmm, Zherdev is an interesting suggestion, gr8one.. I guess it depends on his price tag. But if he’d actually play here, he’d be a nice addition. I know I burned MacT for his crazy desire to move players in positions they aren’t comfortable in, but I wonder if some of our players CAN play the right side, like Brule, Cogliano, Potulny, for example. Any of those 3 would make reliable 2nd line RWers. Brule I would think would be one of our centremen though.

BTW, I’m still choked that the Oil offered up Hemsky/Eberle for the #2 pick (if the rumor is true). Oi. Good on Tambi for trying all he could, but I think that would have been a big mistake. Thankfully Chiarelli is just as crazy.

gr8one: Lines related to my above post.Penner Gagner HemskyHall Brule ZherdevMPS Horcoff EberleJones Fraser StortiniWhitney GilbertSmid BabchukPeckham Morrisonor if we package Hemmer to get a true 1st line C, I’ll use Carter as an example.Penner Carter ZherdevHall Gagner EberleMPS Horcoff BruleJones Fraser StortiniWhitney GilbertSmid BabchukPeckham Morrison/BONER!No matter what though, if Tambi can find a way to shore up our D, I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people next year.Even with our lineup from last season, we were not a 30th place team if healthy, we should have a better offense this season, and hopefully a much better/well rounded D.I don’t think we’ll be contenders, but playoff team for sure.

I agree. The forwards are not the problem at this point, but shoring up the D will win us games. The scoring and talent is there up front. Add one or two guys on the back end who can play defense and we’re winning more than most expect.

Oh btw, two d-men… totally on board with that. Get us one shutdown physical guy a la Morrison or one of the Coyotes, for example, and get us another puck mover. Then we’ll have a nice balance of 3 of each, until someone inevitably gets injured. :P

On the note of Zherdev… if we hang on to Hemsky, I wonder if Nilsson looks good on line 2 RW or even Cogliano in your first set of lineups… or hell, even Potulny. I’m thinking we could make it work without going after Zherdev… however if Hemmer is moved, thats a diff story

I’ve always felt that this team would be easily salvagable with a good goaltender and some steady d-men. Instead, Tambellowe focused on the big grand slam deal with Hossa, Jagr, Heatley, etc. I’m certain that is in the past now though. But it’s still evident that this is what could be all the difference between making and missing the playoffs. And once we’re there, anything can happen.

It’s too bad about the Khabi contract.. that handcuffed us a bit. However if he manages to play 50-60 games this season, and we acquire a shutdown d-man, I think this team is going to claw its way in. It may even surpise, a la Avalanche.

The more I read about Tyler Pitlick, the more and more pleased I am with that pick.

Here is a fantastic read on him from(yet again)The Copper and Blue…

I’ve been reading up on Chris Vande Velde as well, and I really like him too, we really could be set at Center in a year or three.

Yah, I’ve followed Vande Velde a little bit (even seen him play this year – thanks to the Big10 channel). I like him. He’ll likely fit more of a 3rd line center kind of role though, but who knows.

Good write up on Pitlick too.

Yeah, I was thinking that VV would probably projects to a decent 3rd liner or really good 4th line C, and I think Pitlick could very well be a really good 2nd liner.

So yeah, IF they all develop well our C’s in three year scould be very good with a nice mix of size, skill and grit.

Gagner