Monday Morning Standings – Round 3 Complete!

By , May 25, 2010 1:43 pm

She's with me and Trogdor on this one...Hawks in 6

Well, the 3rd round has been completed and its going to be the Hawks and Flyers in the Stanley Cup Final.  Hawks in 6.

The Hawks demolished the Sharks in 4 straight, and looked good doing it.  Toews is a beast.  As is Keith.  As for the Sharks, I don’t think they choked this year.  Getting to the conference finals is no small thing.  They just had the unfortunate luck of getting there at the same time as this Blackhawk juggernaut.

The Flyers ended up making quick work of the surprising Habs, winning it in 5 (and all but one of the games wasn’t really even close).  I honestly think that Halak just started to get tired, and couldn’t keep the team in this series.  On the Flyers Richards, Briere and Giroux had a pretty dominating series up front while on D the Philly top 4 shut down everything the Habs had.  And no one can argue the talent that Pronger has.  Dude gets his teams to the finals.

As mentioned above, I’m calling the Hawks in 6 but that’s just because I think the Flyers will make it interesting late (It will be 3-1 and the Flyers win game 5).  I think the teams stack up well against each other (equal in goal, both have top notch top 4 D) but the difference will be the forwards.  Hawks have Toews, Kane, Hossa, Byfuglien, Sharp, Bolland and Versteeg etc.  Flyers have Richards, Briere, Giroux, Gagne and Carter.  And that will be the difference (and now looking at it, its not much of a difference).  But that’s my opinion.

And in the pool, gr8one is number 1 (damn it, I knew I should have picked Leighton!), I’m 1 point back in second with Racki and Trogdor in 11th and 18th respectively.  I’m thinking the final round should be interesting as I think a bunch of people chose Sharks and Habs.

Stanley Cup Finals Predictions
Series Steve-O Racki Trogdor MMS Girl
logo Flyers vs logo Hawks Hawks in 6 Flyers in 7 Hawks in 6 Hawks in 6

24 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Round 3 Complete!”

1. MetalOil says:

Hawks in 5
    Toews wins the Conn Smythe

Anyone else get the feeling that Leighton is going to get lit up like a Roman candle?

Hawks in 6. (I’d really think 4, but the Flyers have surprised, so….) Toews Conne Smythe with Niemi getting second in votes.

3. victoriaoilerfan says:

I think Mr. Leighton is going to get a schooling in goal in this series. He got to see all the shots that the Habs threw at him. The Canadiens were just not big or strong enough to get traffic in front of him. Well Mr. Leighton meet Mr. Byfuglien. Pronger and Buff are going to be at war every game!
    This is going to be an old fashion black and blue series. Hawks in 6

Philly in 6. Richards wins Conn Smythe.

I think the Hawks are too young and cocky right now, and I think Philly will surprise them. I think Leighton will hold up.

San Jose never had an answer for Big Buff, and I think Pronger will negate him. I think Philly will out grind the Hawks, and I think Carter will be getting his legs and really help to supplement their firepower, and I actually think that that Flyers offense has more depth and potential to get secondary scoring.

I think gr8one hit the nail on the head as far as why I went the opposite direction most people would (betting on Philly). Philly has a LOT of offensive depth, and right now they’ve got a hot guy in net (albeit that maybe he wasn’t quite as tested as he could have been). I think they’ve got an underrated offense that can match the Hawks, plus they have the one guy that we all love to hate that can own a series – Chris “Fucking” Pronger.

6. John says:

There was this really hot, out of nowhere goaltender named Halak too, anyone remember him? Ya, that’s what I thought!!! I agree, Chicago in 6, they are gonna surgically take philly apart Prong by Prong =P

7. John says:

Also, where the Hell does Steve-O find all these fine ladies? Damn!!!!

8. Trogdor says:

She’s yet another fine co-worker of ours. Don’t ask us where we come up with the outfits for the photoshoots or how we convince co-workers to dress up and pose, just believe!

As for the series, the longer it goes the better the Flyers chances of grinding the Hawks down and wearing them out. Speed versus grit. I still think the Hawks will take it but also think/hope the Flyers make it interesting.

John:

Also, where the Hell does Steve-O find all these fine ladies? Damn!!!!

The thing that makes the Flyers a wildcard for me is that not only do they have the grit, but they’ve got some really talented offensive guys and a hot goaltender to boot.

But the Hawks do have Buffy, who has been on fire.

10. dawgtoy says:

Just like last year,a young team will finally get the respect it deserves when Captain Jonathan Toews accepts the holy grail and hoists it over his head (in six). It was once written that the Oilers were too young and cocky, as were the Pens last year. Young and cocky fit the bill last year, but this year they added something … discipline – “Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental improvement.”

We are watching a very beautiful thing, the dawn of a new NHL/Canadian superstar in Jonathan Toews.

11. hawksfan,oilerfan says:

i think hawks in 5 and they will lose the 4th game because Philly and Leighton will get into a win-or-go-home mentality

^^
    welcome to the site, and thanks for the prediction!

I’m pretty excited about this series.

Well that was a barn burner! If game 1 is any indication, it’s certainly not going to be pretty from a goalie POV. Niemi gets the job done though – I disagreed with pulling Leighton in a 1-goal game, doesn’t really matter what the score IMO, if it’s still close keep him in. But that said, go Hawks!!

LNOF:

Totally agree that it was bad form pulling Leighton when they did.

15. John says:

Not sure if this was already posted….BUT, accoriding to Gary Bettman the NHL salary cap could go up as much as 2 million for next season. That should make horcs contract a little easier to take….

18. Puritania says:

John: Haha, by pulling Leighton like that in a 1 goal game it kinda puts a hint of doubt in his mind & a lack of confidence from his coach doesn’t it? Laviolette may have just lost this series for his guys mentally!No points from the Hawks top line to boot? Wow, could be a rough haul for Philly =P

Racki: Yah I think at this point, Horc’s contract isn’t even really an issue anymore anyways, now that we’ve begun the process of cutting salary. But it’s great to have that extra breathing room.

That’s probably true, and I don’t really mind it all as long as it doesn’t handcuff us anymore. The thing about Horcoff is that he’s still a very very good hockey player that brings a lot of things to a team, and as long as they use him in the roles he’s best suited for(3rd line center/pk’er) instead of keep trying to plug him into roles he just not have the skill set for just because of the money he makes.

And if they do use Horc like that, than it really dissipates the need for us to get that Betts/Malhotra type signed, because Horcoff will excel in that kind of role. He’ll just be an expensive option. lol

And as for Leighton…I’m still pissed that they pulled him…though, it might have more to do with the fact he’s my only remaining goalie in the pool.

20. John says:

Puritania: Kelly Hrudey made a good point about Leighton having doubts before the game began. He said that Leighton knows Boucher is the better tender and if he doesnt perform up to snuff he might not get another chance in net for the remainder of the finals. that internal pressure added to the pressure of the finals must be pretty hard to overcome. I agree with Kelly, I doubt we see Leighton start another game.

True, true… so if that’s the case & Boucher gets lit up for a game or two (which is conceivable due to his layoff), then Laviolette is truly effed isn’t he? How do you go back to your previously stellar back-up (the reason you’re in the finals), possibly down 2-0 or 3-0 & say, “Hey buddy old pal, we have all the confidence in the world that you can get ‘er done!”

Yeah, I guess, but it was a one goal game and Leighton looked very shakey as per Hrudey’s assesment, which I too, agree with.

I guess if you have Boucher and you figure he can shut the door for the rest of the game, and you know the Hawks won’t pull a shaky Niemi (shakiest game I’ve seen him in anyway), then your chance of getting another goal and tying it up and then winning is likely what Laviolette was going with.

I knew he’d get lit up, but whatever. He did have an amazing string of games. I’d say Boucher still gets the start next game as he only let in one on the Hawks who were playing much better by the end of the game to me.

That has been their achilles heel though. It shouldn’t be surprising that it catches up to them in at least one game.

It has been confirmed they are going back to Leighton for Game 2. Hopefully for the Flyers he can use this to motivate himself to be better. If he’s not, I can see them going to Boucher the rest of the way, especially if they go down 2-0.

Niemi also admitted he never felt comfortable all game and was thankful to get the win. So he’ll be digging deep to be better as well. Should be interesting to see how both guys bounce back next game.

If they don’t it’ll be last goal wins I guess!

23. Puritania says:

I was surprised when I heard the Flyers are going to go with Leighton again. I thought for sure Boucher was going in for game 2. Should be really interesting to see whether Leighton can bounce back and play a more solid game or not. Either way Go Hawks Go!

24. mrgod2u says:

I’m not completely surprised at the move. He delivered in the last series, and this was pretty clearly a bad case of nerves. Boucher wasn’t that much better once he got in. I think he’ll be on a pretty short leash though. If he hits 3 goals against in the first he’ll get the hook.