Monday Morning Standings – Round 2 and Worlds

By , May 11, 2010 8:04 am

Kinda Esks colours. Plus she's in a new movie thats out now.

Well, I am super super busy at work (missed last weeks too because of work!) so I’m going to have to keep this brief…and if Racki wants to add anything he’s more than welcome to.

Round 2

The Habs keep killing my work pool and somehow winning.  They have pulled it all the way into a game 7 that will go Wednesday.  Un-fricking-believable.

Flyers are showing some heart (again, once I started picking Bruins to win…I just can’t win) and made the series 3-2 with a dominating win (? I was watching the Pens/Habs so it may have been a flukey 4-0 win).

Sharks ass-pounded the Wings (and, in which seems to be a trend, in a series where I picked the losing team every FUCKING game) and finished up the series 4-1.

Finally the Hawks are beating the Canucks 3-2 (I think they just want to win in Vancouver so we can see those classy fans boo their team and throw shit on the ice).  At least in this series I am doing about 50/50 in my picks.  LETS GO HAWKS!

Worlds

MPS kicked some ass in his first game against Norway (1 goal, 2 assists) and Canada is a healthy 2 and 0, but both wins are over … not top tier teams.  Still 2 and 0 is better than the States who are a unhealthy 0 and 2, although one of their losses was in an indoor arena record crowd so that’s a plus.

POTF Pool

And finally, in the POTF playoff pool I’m holding down 4th, Trogdor is in 10th and Racki is a distant 14th (tied for it).  Majestyk is still in first (about 228th overall) but dawgtoy is having a killer segment and moving up quickly.

Also as a reminder, your picks for rounds 3 and 4 must be in by next Monday May 17th by 5pm MST.

31 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Round 2 and Worlds”

1. dawgtoy says:

Love the Pic … and Round 2!

Dammit, I can’t pick winners for shit.

Ah well, I guess its the Habs turn for a run ala Flames, Oil and Sens.

I wonder if Canucks and Leafs fans feel like they are missing out?

Also, all the poolies notice (I just did) that the picks deadline has moved from Monday to Saturday.

I thought it odd that the deadline was Monday when the last possible game was..Friday?

Now they changed it to 1pm Sunday

heh, I’m just changing mine the minute I know who wins the Flyers/Bruins series.

7. RoboNerd says:

Svensson and Omark Vs. Eberle today!

9. NorwegianOiler says:

RoboNerd: You guys really need to stop hacking into my family photo albums and posting my girlfriends.

What? Robo, dude, they are your girlfriends too? Sorry to say, but they’re cheating on us…

God damn Canada, losing to the Swedes! No forgiveness!

So no points for the Oiler prospects today?

Toni Rajala 2 goals today for the Wheat Kings.

Rumor out there that the OKC Barons WILL NOT be the name for the new AHL team

13. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Rumor out there that the OKC Barons WILL NOT be the name for the new AHL team

How about the Oklahoma Bombers? JK that is not funny. It is just the first thing I associate OKC with.

14. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Quote

Besides not hitting the score sheet how did MPS & Ebs look out there? Unfortunately I had to miss the game.

Oh my god! You’re dating Zackman’s sister??!

Bostonoiler: Toni Rajala 2 goals today for the Wheat Kings.

Woohoo! Good to hear. Wish I could have watched that one, but I was watching the Canadians get beat by Sweden, and then the Sharks/Hawks for a bit.

Damn you internets for lying to us again!

Yeah, I heard “Roughnecks” ~might~ be the name of the farm team.

which I like a lot better.

18. MetalOil says:

THN is now peddling another Malkin to the Oilers trade idea. They Suggest Hemsky, Penner & Cogs for Malkin. I like this idea much better then the one involving MPS & our 1st overall pick!

Also:
    TSN has a story up about Steve Tambellini’s wish for Pat Quinn to stay behind the Oilers bench for next year. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=321806
    My question is why is this even a story? & why is Tambellini making public statements about this? Did last season frustrate Quinn to the point that he wants out and has he said something to Tambellini prompting Steve to make a public pitch to try and sway Quinn to stay on board? Maybe I am reading to much into this???

19. mrgod2u says:

20. mrgod2u says:

As far as Quinn and Tambi… I think Quinn is planning on coaching here for another season then retiring. I’m pretty sure it was the plan all along, although last season may have made him consider advancing the timeline of that.

I hope he stays and gets a team that
    a) stays healthy and
    b) wants to play.

If he can’t win with that… then we start talking to Renney about being the only coach

21. MetalOil says:

mrgod2u: I don’t see how any of these Malkin trade ideas carry any water at this point. This is a hockey analyst at a hockey paper matching perceived needs on teams to possible available players. Nothing more.That said, I am in favour of getting Malkin because I think he could step in and take on a team, but not from Sid’s Shadow. The package offered is the same in both deals (wingers to work with Crosby) the real difference being in how much salary is taken back each time, and whether we want to rebuild over 4 years or 2. Personally I think losing bona fide performers for potential is a bit risky.Also anyone think it would be worthwhile to look at a package deal with the Bruins trading Thomas for Khabi. We take back salary and they get a cheaper backup goalie, maybe that and some wrangling would get us their pick.

Yeah all this Malkin trade talk is nothing but speculation right now and besides I think if the Pens did move him that it would be an overreaction on their part. I think they have to give their current group another season and then assess the situation next off season.

I think the reason Tambellini addressed Quinn staying on as coach is because some of the media have been speculating that Quinn will not be back as coach next year.

RIP Ronnie James Dio.

1942-2010

24. NorwegianOiler says:

Ok Canadians. The loss against the Swedes might be pardoned if you beat the Czechs for us – so we can go on to the Quarter Finals. We promise to beat Russia if you do. Thanks.

(PS: Happy Norwegian Constitution Day)

He started line matching a bit more towards the end of the season when he assembled the overpriced line of Moreau Horcoff Pisani. I think at the beginning of the season, I liked his game plan. It wasn’t one where we have 1 top line, but 4 balanced lines. Unfortunately, the ever flow of bodies to the med-lab pretty much killed that plan. I’d like to see it given another shot though. Again, it was pretty much something like: Big body, defensively responsible offensive forward, skill player.

He might not resort back to that at the start of the season though. Perhaps he’ll continue with having a checking line. At any rate, I’m fine to give him another chance since “we” gave MacTavish like 7 chances.

NorwegianOiler: Norwegian Constitution Day

I’m a bit concerned, but really, did it matter? Renney is that guy anyways. I’m hoping Quinn moves upstairs after this year or retires. One of the two, but I’d like him in the organization for his input.

I think his mandate was to sort out the crap from the gems. He’s done that.

For next year, I’d definitley like to see a more structured team for sure, and that means matching. Hopefully we have the team assets to facilitate that.

28. MetalOil says:

I want Rob Daum back on the bench at some point. When he was on our bench in 2007-2008 our young kids(Gags, Cogs & Nilsson were at their best. However with the new team starting up in OKC the organization is best served by having him down there for the time being. As soon as an vacancy opens up here he should be first in line. That or just get rid of Bucky.

29. Ktown says:

“Shero should start making calls to his contemporaries, and his first words should be: “Make me an offer for Malkin.” It must include a top-line wing, a top-pairing defenseman, two roster players and either two top prospects or two first-round picks.” – http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_681429.html
    The Pittsburgh Tribune

Don’t get me wrong – Malkin’s a helluva player, and I wouldn’t be against picking him up, but I think Rob Rossi of the Tribune is smoking some fine BC Bud if he thinks that’s where offers start for a guy with an $8.7 Million cap hit.

I could see it fair giving up a top-6 winger, and a top pairing defenceman, and even adding in some roster guys for flavor (but those guys are named Ethan, Robert and/or Patrick), but to add two top prospects or two first rounders as well? Not on your life. That just really hampers any chance of a rebuild, and the Oilers have too bright a future to go trading it away – especially if you’re already giving up two top players.

Am I wrong on this, or do you agree this guy’s just a little to deep on the homerism?

30. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: Happy Nasjonaldagen to ya (wiki told me that one, although I’m sure “Happy” isn’t quite the right term, and Nasjonaldagen probably isn’t either. lol). I’m thinking Canada’s goaltending is pretty weak this year. I’d like to think we could beat the Czechs, but you just never know what might happen with suspect goaltending.

Thanks, close enough – though the ‘happy’ isn’t really what you were looking for ;)

But damn Canada, 3-1 down now!

NorwegianOiler: Are we sure Quinn is the guy to lead our team forward? I’m most concerned with the fact that he does not appear very interested in matching lines. What do y’all thaiink?

agreed