Playoff predict-o-rama – Round 3! Plus MMS and other news

By , May 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Something to justify Racki's love for the Habs

Trogdor isn’t dead!  So they made me do today’s write up…

Playoffs

Flyers moved on defeating Boston in game 7.  Habs pulled a similar trick on the Pens, and the Hawks reinforced that the giant C on the Vancouver jerseys stands for CHOKE!!!  Round 3 kicked off with the Flyers making the Habs look like the Hab nots with a 6-0 drubbing, chasing Halak from the net and then everyone’s favorite Canuck killer Dustin Byfuglien scored late in the 3rd to give the Hawks a 1-0 series lead over the Sharks.

Round 3 Predictions

Looks like MetalOil did the best on last rounds predictions and as before, if you have some thoughts, post them below.  Here’s what the magic 8-Ball influenced picks of the POTF staffers look like for round 3.

Semi Finals Predictions
Series Steve-O Racki Trogdor
logo Flyers vs  logo Habs Flyers in 6 Flyers in 5 Flyers in 5
logo Sharks vs logo Hawks Hawks in 6 Hawks in 7 Hawks in 6

Worlds

Canada absolutely punished Norway 12-1, with our very own Eberle scoring 1 and setting up 3 others.  That was after an unexpected loss to the Swiss, and the last two games have been less than glorious, losing 3-1 to Sweden then 3-2 to the Czech Republic.

MPS has 1 goal so far in their matchup against the Swiss today.

Team USA is DOMINATING!!! The relegation round…

How our Oilers are doing:

Player Country GP G A P
Jordan Eberle CAN CAN 3 1 3 4
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson SWE SWE 6* 4 4 8
Linus Omark SWE SWE 6* 0 2 2
Taylor Chorney USA USA 6 0 0 0
Ryan Potulny USA USA 6 2 2 4
* game currently in progress

Excluded Dubnyk, because he hasn’t played yet, for one.

POTF Pool

Dawgtoy’s success continues and they now sit atop the POTF pool.  I’m clinging to 12th and failed to make 3rd/4th round picks so I’m done.  Steve-O as moved up to 3rd and Racki is 17th.  Looks like I wasn’t the only one not get picks in so a few of us can silently sob together.

Other News

• Oilers are currently on the hunt for an assistant GM so get your resumes updated and submitted.  Current front runner is Scott Bonner, the GM for Vancouver Giants and an Edmontonian.
  • Johnny Boychuck is a UFA this July 1st…  A hard hitting D-Man from Edmonton, currently making .5 million.  Might be a good fit, so we won’t pursue him.

UPDATED 3:02PM: Name That Team…
The Oilers’ AHL affiliate Oklahoma receives a name tomorrow, according to the Oklahoma City TV station KSBI. Rumored names are the Barons, the Bison, the Twisters and more recently the Roughnecks (credit to Copper N Blue for those, as they’ve been monitoring the US Patent database).

Oklahoma City Barons logo
Oklahoma City Barons logo #2
Oklahoma City Roughnecks logo

Oklahoma City Bison logo

26 Responses to “Playoff predict-o-rama – Round 3! Plus MMS and other news”

Svensson added an assist moments ago for his 8th point of the WHC

And I really like Boychuck, watching the way he played for the Bruins during the playoffs, I realized hes got a good NHL career ahead of him, hopefully the Oilers see that. GO HABS GO!

Bostonoiler: Svensson added an assist moments ago for his 8th point of the WHC

Thanks B.O., I’ll add that in. Caught his goal, but of course since the game was in progress, there was a chance we’d miss something.

O’Mark looks fairly quiet. Hopefully that’s not a sign of things to come. I wonder if he’s getting lots of checking attention or is on a 3rd line or something.

Updated the post above to include the news that the Oklahoma affiliate for the Oilers gets a name finally! A few rumored names so far.

6. Trogdor says:

Bisons logo looks alright, but the roughnecks could use some work. They’ll need to hire a coach named Rico if they go with the Roughnecks.

Starhip Troopers! Anyone?

I don’t know.. I think the Roughnecks is alright. It works for an AHL team.

Here is another Barons logo:

8. Trogdor says:

It’s fine for an AHL team, but put a mask on the dude and you have the Hitmen logo…

Yeah, of all the rumored names, I like Roughnecks the best, for a few reasons.

It Best ties in with the “Oil” theme.
    Real life Roughnecks are known to be very hard workers that aren’t afraid to get dirty, which fits very well with hockey. Roughnecks also have a reputation for being “tough”.

Hate the Bisons name. Maybe if they were the Sabres affiliate, that’s be ok. lol

New poll up.

Not a fan of “Barons”. I like the Roughnecks too. Bison….meh.

Racki: New poll up.

Indeed, I’m sure there were a few upon seeing the picture for this thread. Although you misspelled “poll”.

13. Puritania says:

I like Roughnecks as well, the logo is pretty terrible as is though.

If they do happen to name them the Roughnecks it would be a crime if they didn’t play this right before every game on the jumbo-tron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9kTIleMoo&feature=related

lol…yeah and/or this.

and yeah, the logo sucks, but the name is good.

15. MetalOil says:

Hawks Vs. Habs final !

Hawks in 5
    Habs in 6 -This series will change dramatically one it shifts to Montreal for game 3(just like the Oiler VS. Sharks series in ’06 shifted once the Shraks got dazed by the rockuss Oiler fans in game 3 :) )

16. MetalOil says:

chucker: O’Mark looks fairly quiet.Hopefully that’s not a sign of things to come.I wonder if he’s getting lots of checking attention or is on a 3rd line or something.

I thought he looked pretty good today although he didn’t hit the scoresheet.

MetalOil: I thought he looked pretty good today although he didn’t hit the scoresheet.

Good to know. The stats are not always as complementary as watching for sure.

18. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Good to know.The stats are not always as complementary as watching for sure.

I just remember one sequence where O’Mark had the puck behind the opposition net for what seemed like 20-30 seconds with no one on Swiss challenging him and I was screaming for one of his teammates to get open (no one did). I think it may be a case of him not really having the right linemates.

My husband would like to know what number the Hab-chicky wears? He doesn’t remember seeing her on the ice. Maybe she could help them score…

20. MetalOil says:

LateNightOilFan: My husband would like to know what number the Hab-chicky wears?He doesn’t remember seeing her on the ice.Maybe she could help them score…

She looks like a 10 to me :) especially that bum ! I do not think she will have any problems scoring ether.

gr8one:

Lol.. Bazinga! Nice work.

gr8one: lol…yeah and/or this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXzZTYjUl0and yeah, the logo sucks, but the name is good.

I would never go to a game if I heard that! :P

MetalOil: Hawks Vs. Habs final !Hawks in 5
    Habs in 6 -This series will change dramatically one it shifts to Montreal for game 3(just like the Oiler VS. Sharks series in ‘06 shifted once the Shraks got dazed by the rockuss Oiler fans in game 3 :))Too lazy to look it up but when is the last time that there was an all original 6 cup final?

Looks like 78-79 Seasons.. Habs win vs. NYR.

MetalOil:

Why didn’t he bank it off the goalie’s back this time? lol

22. MetalOil says:

Why didn’t he bank it off the goalie’s back this time? lol

He did try to pick up the puck lacrosse style but was unable to. I think it was on this play but I might be wrong.

Due to lack of time? Or just couldn’t manage to scoop it up?

24. MetalOil says:

Just could not manage to get er scooped up. I am not totally sure if he was trying to do it. It just kind of looked liked it maybe? It was all so quick, you would have missed it if you blinked.

MetalOil: She looks like a 10 to me especially that bum ! I do not think she will have any problems scoring ether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V2mE_QCpzU Is all I have to say about that. :D

26. hawksfan,oilerfan says:

Habs vs. Hawks stanley cup,
    Hawks take game 1, if hawks lose game 2 habs win in 6, if hawks win game 2, hawks win in 5