Edmonton Oilers AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City is named..

By , May 19, 2010 3:16 pm
Oklahoma City Barons it is..

Oklahoma City Barons it is..

The Edmonton Oilers AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City has been named, and it is… *drum roll* … well you already know, since you saw the pic above, and since it’s been rumored for about a week or so now – Barons.

The Oklahoma City Barons start up in the 2010/2011 AHL Season in the Cox Covention Center which supports a pretty impressive 13,399 butts in chairs for hockey games.

Now, feel free to come to this site more often without your boss busting you for having some chick’s ass staring at him/her on your computer screen… at least for today.

Here is a shot of what the jersey will look like, from the Prodigal Hockey website:

Oklahoma City Barons Jersey

Will the Oklahoma City Barons make the playoffs next year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

18 Responses to “Edmonton Oilers AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City is named..”

1. MetalOil says:

I think they may have a real shot at the Calder next season. We certainly have the assests to make it happen. I do wonder who their goaltender will be though. Roy maybe? Is Rob Daum gonna be their coach. Ahh….. probably to early to have answers to these questions I guess.

Updated with jersey pic…

Also, I could be wrong, but I think Oliver Roy will be one year too young to play with the Barons, which is too bad (have to be 20 by the end of the year, if drafted from the CHL, right?). But it might be better for his development anyways to spend another year with the Cape.

3. MetalOil says:

Humm….Me thinks it might be Torrie Jung then. That might work out well.

Jung? I know he got called up here last year on a try out. I also looked him up and it shows that he was drafted by TB… I’m assuming they never signed him and he went back into the draft or something…?

All I can say is they better figure it out. The Falcons sans-Dubnyk were friggen horrible. But with him, they were at the top of the heap.

5. MetalOil says:

Losing Potulny, Peckham, Chorney, Stone & so on for large portions of the year did not help the Falcons much ether.

Yeah Jung never signed with TB, re-entered the draft and went undrafted. Did see action on the Oiler bench for a game last year though.

Oh yah, definitely agreed on that. But it was interesting that the fall really started when we called Dubnyk up. No wins from that point forward for quite a while.

That is a lot of butts in the Cox center. :P
    Kurtis Mucha is a guy I’d like to see again. He had a cup of coffee in camp last year here. He was here last camp as an invite from the Winterhawks. I’m hoping they sign the kid to play down there. He’s a good goalie on a mediocre team in Portland but did a bit better in Kamloops then back to Portland and kept elevating his game. BTW, Neonrider plays on that team as well. http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24238

Jung would be nice to see get a tryout as well. I thought he did fairly well last camp.

8. MetalOil says:

Same thing with the big club here. Before Khabby went down we were looking fairly good and hovering around the .500 mark I think. Not great but a lot better then the last place team we finished as.

MetalOil: Same thing with the big club here. Before Khabby went down we were looking fairly good.

I think the heavy stat-whores out there were pointing to unrealistic shooting percentages in the beginning. But yah, for sure having reliable goaltending all year would have helped. Hopefully Khabi can stay out of the drunk tank and stay healthy for next year.

The question everyone is asking; “Will there be cheerleaders in OKC?”

If I was a betting man, I’d say “All in.”

11. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: I am happy how the season played out really. Sure it was tough to watch but our pick should be worth a year of misery. No pain No Gain right?

chucker: Yeah that will definitely be the one bright moment to cap off this year. I’m looking forward to it, even though it will only be about 10 mintes of time, it’ll be a great day.I’m really stoked our players finally have a club that we own again and control all aspects of development. I really don’t think its possible to overstate the importance of this and how it has affected our prospects and this franchise over the years. It really makes it poor at best for a prospect to not get the development that the team needs to see happen. We have not been able to foster our kids the way we would like to because of that. This bodes very well for the organization.

10 minutes??? dont forget trades !!! lol

Well, if our pick busts…… well, I won’t bring that option up, as that would be pretty Negative Nelly of me.. :P

I have to say that the outcome this year was one of a couple possible best outcomes for the team in the long run. I didn’t want us to barely miss the playoffs, as some had somewhat hoped for (since losing wasn’t an option for them). But my thoughts, if we’re going to lose.. lose big.. get that permanent piece, and pray they turn out to be an elite player to build around.

chucker: The question everyone is asking; “Will there be cheerleaders in OKC?”If I was a betting man, I’d say “All in.”

Hellyes!

16. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Yeah that will definitely be the one bright moment to cap off this year. I’m looking forward to it, even though it will only be about 10 mintes of time, it’ll be a great day.I’m really stoked our players finally have a club that we own again and control all aspects of development. I really don’t think its possible to overstate the importance of this and how it has affected our prospects and this franchise over the years.It really makes it poor at best for a prospect to not get the development that the team needs to see happen.We have not been able to foster our kids the way we would like to because of that.This bodes very well for the organization.

Hell yeah!!!
    I think the lack of having a stable AHL affiliate has played a BIG BIG part in the current state of the organization. If you think about it our sister team has been a slut moving from person to person(location to location) and sometimes doing the solo act without a partner( 2005/2006 & 2006/2007 when we had no affiliate).
    Looks like we finally beat some sense into our lil sis and she may finally settle down now and stop being such a whore :)

17. Puritania says:

Please tell me the half bar on the arms won’t be on the final jersey, such a horrid design. Other than that I like it.

18. MetalOil says:

I guess OKC has a history with Ice Girls with the Blazers. I was reading an OKC newspaper and one commenter posted that they should be called the Bare-in it all girls :)