We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming…

By , April 8, 2010 1:54 pm

Sorry, don’t want to jam up on Racki here, but just finished reading Elliotte Friedman’s Mondays 30 thoughts and I can’t stress how awesome it is. Everyone needs to read this. Its on CBC’s website every week and always interesting.

An example of whats in there:

22. Jim Matheson of The Edmonton Journal suggested an interesting deal: Mike Ribeiro for Sheldon Souray. It’s my problem for your problem, but that’s what happens with big contracts in a cap world. Both teams would like to get rid of those players.

Absolutely money. Now scroll down and continue on with Racki’s awesome post where he admits that he was wrong.

12 Responses to “We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming…”

I’ll give Matheson’s idea a thumbs down, tentatively. For one, I don’t like the idea of us picking up someone small. But also, and more importantly, we need to see who we draft first. If it’s Seguin, do we need a Ribeiro now?

Also, I’d prefer that we let the offensive forwards sit as is, and pick up some better defensive help. Maybe even a defensive forward or two. But I’m happy with the potential of the forward group we have, offensively.

Btw, things change a bit if we go for Hall instead. And really, the Oilers should probably know by April 13th who they are drafting, barring some sort of catastrophic discovery about one of these players between then and draft day. So by that, I mean, perhaps it might be a bit more logical an idea if we pick up Hall. But I’m still not really *that* interested in the idea.

Bostonoiler: Yeah no thanks I’d rather have Sheldon Souray. I truly hate Mike Ribero. He made me cry as a young kid and bruins fan when he did this. Anyone remember it?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNw8ZZT8tOU

I can’t view Youtube from work, but I’m going to guess it was one of the several times he dove/faked injury on a play. I used to follow the Habs a lot, and that was one thing about him I didn’t like. That kind of crap is embarrassing.

He also threw a slash on Osgood that was cheap in the west finals two years ago also. Hes a dirty player and I dont want him. Yes it was that dive against Boston

6. mrgod2u says:

I would rather see Souray shopped for guys that fill a need we have rather than an “our problem for yours” deal. Freeing up cap space via a trade for picks would allow us to sign more UFA’s that would likely fit our team better than Ribiero.

Plus the only “problem” that we have with Souray is that he costs too much for a team in rebuild. If we can manage to exceed expectations next season (and they will be pretty low) then he might be a needed asset if we sneak into the playoffs like how the Avs did.

I want to see Souray go for a defensive ofrward or shut down guy.

8. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s a horrendous deal. If that’s what Tambellini is thinking, Kurri save us.

I wouldn’t consider Souray a problem he’s just been severely unlucky in that he keeps getting these injuries. It all came down to the hit he took from Iggy in the first quarter of the season.

I’m not a big fan of the what if game but… Think about it, if the hit never happened, wouldn’t have suffered that concussion, then later in the season he wouldn’t try fighting Iginla because of the hit and then he wouldn’t have injured his hand + got the infection from that fight.

Souray was plagued this season, I don’t know what all this trade talk is about, he’s a leader in the team, there’s no question about it and if he can stay healthy he can usually produce. Souray’s a very intimidating opponent and tough to play against when he’s healthy plus we all know of his cannon of a shot.

If he can stay healthy I’d rather have Souray on our back end then a lot of the defensemen out there, the only thing that’s inflated is his cap hit but considering some of the defensemen’s salaries out there. It’s not too bad.

Also Seguin ranked first, that will show a lot of the Hall bandwagon. Arguably they go hand in hand, it’s a matter of position but I’d still love to see Seguin in an Oil jersey down the road. I like his game but something that stands out to me is that he excels in leadership and has great character.

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind Hall either but Seguin is number one in my humble opinion.

Side note: if I can get my last paper out of the way I may try and start working on a template/skin for POTF that I promised so long ago.

Zack: woot @ the skin. Are you creating it as a wordpress theme?

Racki: Zack: woot @ the skin. Are you creating it as a wordpress theme?

Haha I wish! I’ll work with Photoshop first and then I will download wordpress and see if I can come up with something.

What will most likely happen because of my HTML skillz, I will download a wordpress theme that is similar to the skin I have created and try and integrate the layout as best as I can. Or if I get really lazy I may end up using this layout and just making my own skin.

Either way, whether you use it or not I’m going to try and do a complete run through of an entire layout, from simple tables in posts which I should be able to do with my HTML skills to an enhanced watermark (similar to the one I used in the battle for top seed pic with Kessel + Burke). I’ll try and create a simple template for most kinds of posts… trades/line-ups/roster changes/gdt’s etc. which are crisp looking yet easy to manipulate if needed.

I have a development site for the Foil that I can set you up on later for testing too if you like.

E-mail me at contact at this site’s name, and we’ll talk about setting you up there.