By , April 27, 2010 3:21 pm
I'm tired of trying to remember if it's Paajarvi first, or Svensson first.. and how many A's to use. So here we have MPS...

Hockeyanalen.se reports that Edmonton Oilers GM is currently in Sweden scouting Edmonton Oilers prospect Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson (be impressed by the fancy dot usage). Credit to M Ace at HFBoards for posting this article which caught my eye.

I ran the site through google’s translator (which is pretty impressive) and then through the patented Racki Google-Translator-to-real-English Translator ™ and came up with this translation of the article:

Edmonton’s interest in Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson is growing strong. General Manager Steve Tambellini will check out the 19-year old in the LG Hockey Games (Racki’s comment: runs April 29 – May 2nd). “We will meet and discuss his future,” says Gunnar Svensson, agent and father of Magnus, to Dagbladet (Racki’s comment: Dagbladet is a Swedish Newspaper – thank you NorweiganOiler).

A good effort in the LG Hockey Games may present an NHL contract for Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi.

According to Dagbladet, the Edmonton Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini be in attendance during the LG Hockey Games, which starts on Thursday, to scout the 19-year-old super talent.

“I knew he would come and watch since last week. Now we will meet and I hope they can come up with a message as to what they want to do with him next season,” Gunnar Svensson told the newspaper.

The Edmonton Journal reported that Edmonton is very interested in having the Timrå player next season. General Manager Steve Tambellini hopes, according to the newspaper, that Pääjärvi-Svensson succeeds to earn a place in the World Cup squad, so that the Edmonton-boss will see how he stands up against NHL opposition.

I’ve been reading a bit more information here and there suggesting that the Oilers might actually bring in MPS next year, and/or Eberle. I know we don’t want to rush these guys… especially considering how flawed the team is right now. Feel free to comment in the comments on whether you think they should play in the big show next year or not. We did a poll on this a while back, and only 19% were completely opposed to the idea of either playing here. I personally am still on the fence on that. It really depends on how camp goes.

Anyways, it is good to see that the Oilers are showing proper interest. There was an interview earlier in the month with MPS’ dad in which he expressed that he was unclear about what was going to happen next year with his son. So good on the GM to address that problem, promptly.

47 Responses to “Tambellini scouting Prospect Paajarvi-Svensson in Sweden at 2010 LG Hockey Games”

I want MPS in North America, but not necessarily in the the NHL. Ideally I’d like to see him come to camp, compete for a spot, but ultimately get sent down there to cut his teeth on the N.A. style of play and rink size. Unless Eberle comes to camp and absolutely lights it up, I think he could use some more time in the OK city as well.

I would also like to see Lander and Hartikainen down there too, hopefully they can all get some chemistry, and get a taste of somem success at the professional level, learn that NHL roster spots are not going to be handed to them, and hopefully nip any sense of entitlement[s] in the bud. I don’t want to see Taylor/Tyler get any special treatment either. If you don’t light up camp with intensity and passion, you will not be in the NHL.

2. NorwegianOiler says:

Nice to know ;) Dagbladet is, as Racki suggests correctly, a Norwegian newspaper. But, it there is also a Swedish “Dagbladet” of the same name, which is probably the one in question here (I could not find the reference to MPS in the Norwegian paper and would be surprised if I did, considering the little information they have on even domestic hockey players, let alone Swedish prospects)

I will be satisfied about the MPS situation in any case, I think, whether Pääjärvi goes to NA or stays with Timrå another year. Hopefully he’ll play for Sweden and make it an ‘easy’ choice ;)

Ahh thanks, N.O.! It would make sense it is the Swedish newspaper… google can only suggest so much, but I knew I could count on your expertise! :P

I, like gr8one, would like to see him come here and play in Oklahoma. Our farm team NEEDS these kinds of players. It also gives us a chance to be able to recall him up say someone gets injured or isn’t working out. And I agree on Lander and Hartikainen. Also, it sounds like Omark will be playing in Oklahoma, at the very least, next year. That is good news.

Really, our farm team can be a lot stronger with the likes of MPS, Eberle, Omark, Nash, Petry, Hartikainen, Lander and others all reporting there, and perhaps Arsene, Minard and some other “career” AHLers returning back there. Also, perhaps Peckham might get more time down there at the start of the year. Like the big club, I wonder how strong the goaltending and the defense will be down there, however.

Btw, Omark is also at this tournament again this year, and apparently he had a pretty good showing. So that’s another guy that Tambellini can keep an eye on.

5. MetalOil says:

Good to hear that the Oilers staff is working hard and getting a head start on the analysis of our prospects. If I were Tambellini during that sit down with MPS’s Dad/Agent I would tell him something like this: If we get a deal done to bring MPS to North America he will be treated fairly and will have every oppertunity to prove himself worthy of an NHL roster spot coming out of camp however their is a strong possibility of him spending some or all of the year in the AHL to get accustomed to the North American Pro game. Also I hope that his dad is not of the Eric Lindros’s father type that tries to get too involved in the Organizational affairs. That is the last thing we need here. Maybe I am just reading to much into the fact that his father is also his agent though but none the less I think it is a great sign that Tambellini is wasting no time preparing for next season and beyond !!!

Yeah, On the note of N.O. bringing up MPS and team Sweden, I too REALLY hope both him and Lander make it, although I suspect Lander likely won’t, and also Hartikainen hopefully making team Finland.

It certainly would be fantastic to see how these kids compete against NHL caliber players in the WHC’s.

M&O:

I totally understand what you’re getting at about MPS re: his father, but I’m actually pretty sure that I read somewhere that MPS’ father has actually been a prominent hockey agent for many years in Sweden, so it’s only natural he would represent his son as well, I think he also represents Lander too.

Hopefully that alleviates anyones concerns of a meddling father.

8. MetalOil says:

Man we may have a real chance at the Calder Cup next season or at least a long playoff run in Oklahoma if we use our assets correctly. If we truly do want to rebuild from the ground up it would make perfect sense to stack our roster down their with our highly touted prospects who could learn the winning mentality as a group. It would be good for the overall and long term success of our new affiliate !!! A spinoff benefit of this could also possibly be getting another high draft pick in next years draft and also clearing more cap space so we can add a quality free agent or two to mentor these kids when they are ready to make the jump up.

9. MetalOil says:

Hopefully that alleviates anyones concerns of a meddling father.

It certainly does !

10. Puritania says:

As much as I’d love to see Ebs MPS and Seguin in the bigs next year I would be much happier to see them all in the AHL. Get these guys a little seasoning, no need to rush them in to get whalloped all season long.

We are going to eat shit next year as well so we might as well do these kids right by getting them all in OKC. It would be nice to have a contender in the AHL. Eberle, MPS, Seguin, Lander, Hartikainen, Omark, Petry, Nash, Plante with some AHL Vets like Racki said would be awesome. If Roy progresses well he could be a hell of a goaltender for OKC too, what better way to bring hockey to OKC than to bring em the Calder Cup.

A winning culture in Oklahoma could go a long way to providing elite level competition for the big club. (Assuming management is competent enough to not destroy it.)

MetalOil:
    It certainly does !

Yeah, I just checked in to it a little further to make sure I wasn’t just talking out of my ass and Wikipedia confirms what I thought, his most notable client is actually Zetterburg, so that’s kind of cool, maybe MPS can get some Z-chi flowing his way. lol

/edit

lol, is that a picture of Tambi on the puck in the thread pic??

12. MetalOil says:

gr8one:
    Yeah, I just checkedin to it a little further to make sure I wasn’t just talking out of my ass and Wikipedia confirms what I thought, his most notable client is actually Zetterburg, so that’s kind of cool, maybe MPS can get some Z-chi flowing his way.

That would be Great Gr8one !!! LOL
    Hey the Swedes do like to stick together right !!!

Good stuff. I tend to be with most on bringing these kids in slowly. Gagner and Cogliano are proof of patience likely being a better tactic than being thrust directly into the NHL. My ideal plan would have them going to OKC unless they are unquestionably ready at camp and if they go down to OKC, I like the idea that we are now focussing on proper skill and team introduction.

Ideally I would want to see them on the farm for a while and called up when ready. I think we fill the gaps with cheap and serviceable vets this year who have low cap hits. Svensson is another guy I would guess he’s over there to see I would hope. Same with Lander.

I just hope that these guys are willing to show up in OKC. I forgot to also include Rajala in there, who’s already been playing in N.A. with Brandon. However, I’m not sure if he’s eligible to play in the AHL or not. I forget the rule around that when it comes to Euros. But I think it has something to do with being drafted into the CHL, or not playing in Europe-equivalent league, or something to that effect (too lazy to look it up today), and I think he’d be eligible to play. Someone else can confirm that!

Anyways, there is a lot of potential here for a very strong AHL team, which is something we haven’t seen in a while. Although this year’s team actually got off to a flying start. I don’t know if anyone remembers, but I believe we were a few points out of first place for a while there (late December-ish), then suddenly we had to call up Doobie, and PLUMMETED like a sky diver without a parachute from that point on.

Really, if Roy comes up, that just makes things even better. However, he is only 19, so I think he’s uneligible, if I recall, since he can still play in Junior and is a CHLer. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong there.

Really, it would be nice to see the team take that seriously and pick up a solid career AHLer goaltender.

Anyways, like I said, I think we’re very, very solid at forward if a lot of these guys report to OKC. Defense and goaltending are still question marks for me though, even if Chorney and/or Peckham goes back down and Petry is added into the mix.

15. MetalOil says:

chucker: Good stuff.I tend to be with most on bringing these kids in slowly.Gagner and Cogliano are proof of patience likely being a better tactic than being thrust directly into the NHL.My ideal plan would have them going to OKC unless they are unquestionably ready at camp and if they go down to OKC, I like the idea that we are now focussing on proper skill and team introduction.Ideally I would want to see them on the farm for a while and called up when ready.I think we fill the gaps with cheap and serviceable vets this year who have low cap hits.Svensson is another guy I would guess he’s over there to see I would hope.Same with Lander.

To me the real question is not “Are these prospects ready for the Oilers?” It is ” Are the Oilers ready for these Prospects ?”

I think we need to determine quiet a few things before we introduce these prospects to the team.

This off season is about filtering out the under preforming vets (Moreau, Pisani and my addition of Struds), the players who just ain’t working out (O’Sully, Nilsson & perhaps MAP) & the players who are not happy here (Souray & Hemsky (???) ). This will allow us to next season to see out of the remaining players who fits into the long term plans of the franchise with the increased ice time/workload they will receive(i.e not having Cogs on the 3rd or 4th line). Then and only then should we start introduce the prospects to the pool and start building towards contender status.

If this strategy is used then I see playoffs not next season but MAYBE the season following if we can bank on strong rookie seasons from these prospects and I think that will be a stronger possibility with a year of AHL seasoning for most of these prospects. Lets just hope that they understand that this will benefit them and the team in the long run. Just show them the Redwings model of player development where most of their players enter the league as 22-25 year olds as an example.

Nice thoughts, M.O. I can agree with that.

I also possibly unrealistically think there is a chance the Oil can fluke their way into the playoffs. So it’s not a guarantee they will miss. But it shouldn’t be something that they are focusing on however. Focus on rebuilding the team, and who knows, we may luck out and make the big show this coming year as a little bonus.

17. MetalOil says:

It can be done, Just look at the Aves right ! Sometimes teams come out of nowhere, Just look at the Yotes right :) This what makes the NHL great, The unpredictability and teams and players overcoming great odds to prove their critics wrong!!!

18. Puritania says:

M.O. your post made me think about the whole “Who wants to be an Oiler” thing Tambo keeps saying over and over. If there is any truth to Hemsky wanting out maybe that is Tambos way of getting the public prepared for a Hemsky trade?

I don’t know, it might make sense to make it abundantly clear after the fact that the trade is because Hemmer doesn’t want to be an Oiler thus lessening the anger and hatred directed toward management.

A little conspiracy theory-ish but I’m bored and hell, you just never know why things happen these days.

19. MetalOil says:

I do not think it’s that Hemsky is demanding a trade or anything like that but rather he is just telling management that he is leaning towards a change of scenery once he hits the free agent market.

Of course this is just speculation at this point but if true I give him props for not dumping this on management at the last minute and for giving us ample time to get the most value possible in the trade market for him. It is kinda like when you quit a job and give your two weeks out of respect for your employer. You could just quit and leave that day if you wanted but out of respect you give them 2 weeks to find a replacement.
    I have no problems with Hemsky maybe wanting to explore new avenues as he hits the mid point of his career. No hard feelings towards Hemsky whatsoever if what has been reported is true.

20. Puritania says:

I agree with everything you said, I’m just speculating a trade happening before Hemmer hits free agency, as much as I would hate to see that happen.

I think it would be great to have Eberle, Svensson and Hall/ Seguin all start their NHL careers at the same time. Bring him overr and lets get started. Let them work with a playmaker like Hemsky and a 30 goal guy like Penner. These 3 guys combined with Brule, Gagner, Hemsky and Penner will make a sick offense. I’d get him over here. I’m looking forward to see how this plays out though, should be very interesting.

22. MetalOil says:

yeah we do not want to wait till the final year of his contract and get Kovalchuked. Ales Hemsky with 2 years left on a very good contract would hold great value to a Stanley Cup contending team(or a team that wants this status). It’s up to Tambellini to gauge the chances of him resigning and if Steve feels that the chances of that happening to be slim then he would be wise to trade him this off season while he has max value. I think we could get a top tier pick or a solid Dman for him.

I personal think that LA would be a good fit for him, not sure what we would get back for him but maybe Hemsky, Souray & a second rounder for Jack Johnson, Michal Handzus and the Kings first rounder.

23. Puritania says:

24. Puritania says:

Puritania: If I had to choose between trading Hemmer and getting some good returns or lose him for nothing to free agency it’s really a no brainer. However who knows what might happen in 2 years, maybe Seguin or Hall come in with MPS and Ebs to light it up and this team starts winning games, lots of games. Maybe that fills Hemmer with enthusiasm for the team and he wants to re-sign with the Oil, who knows.

25. MetalOil says:

I do kinda think as Oiler fans we overate Hemsky a lil bit but if given the right linemates he could finally reach a teir 2 star.

Puritania: If I had to choose between trading Hemmer and getting some good returns or lose him for nothing to free agency it’s really a no brainer. However who knows what might happen in 2 years, maybe Seguin or Hall come in with MPS and Ebs to light it up and this team starts winning games, lots of games. Maybe that fills Hemmer with enthusiasm for the team and he wants to re-sign with the Oil. It’s something to keep an eye on for sure.I wouldn’t be surprised if Hemmer gets traded at this years draft to be honest. As much as the thought of trading Hemmer makes me sad inside I could see it happening soon.

I have always been opposed to trading Hemsky because he really is the best contract we’ve had here in a long while. Best value for what we get, for sure. Plus he’s easily our most exciting player. But all that said, we’d been trying to build around him for I’d say at least 5 years now with only a bit of luck. So I’m not completely opposed to seeing him traded. But really, they have to make a pretty damn impressive deal if he is moved. Something that addresses a long term need. For me that means perhaps a franchise d-man (might need to sweeten the pot for that), or a solid, scoring power forward.

I’d say if they’re going to do it though, they may want to try it at the deadline when things are a bit more desperate for teams. Really, Hemmer’s contract is a bargain too, so I’m sure teams would be fine with keeping him around the next year too.

27. Puritania says:

MetalOil: I do kinda think as Oiler fans we overate Hemsky a lil bit but the right linemates he could finally reach a teir 2 star.

I honestly don’t think we do. I think he’s one of the better players in the league that gets a lot of attention from other stars in the league, however he plays on a shit team, and that hampers his results a fair bit. Gawd, could you imagine Hemmer with someone like Ovechkin? Two incredibly speedy players, one of them with a lethal shot, the other with a seeing eye pass… or perhaps pair him with Kovalchuk.. or Heatley.. or another sniper like that. I’m sure teams would LOVE to have Hemsky. I honestly think a lot of fans can’t accept that we have a really damn good player here and are always trying to quell the excitement surrounding him because they have a tough time believing that on our crummy team we could have a guy that dynamic and exciting that other teams would covet. Put him out East, and I can almost guarantee that if he were healthy he’d be making TSN highlights weekly. Call me crazy ;)

29. MetalOil says:

Puritania: On an unrelated note the wings are up 5-1…lame. If I see Pittsburg and Detroit in the finals yet again I will cry into a pillow. Only thing worse would be Vancouver in the finals.

I always tend to cheer against the Wings( I like rooting for the underdogs ) but I hate the Yotes and their so called fans and want to see that market fail so GO Wings Go !!!

30. Puritania says:

@Racki Franchise D-man would be the route to go imo, with Taylor/Tyler Ebs etc. waiting in the wings we could use a real deal of a stud on the blue. A Tyler Myers type player is what I would be going for, I don’t think we could get Tyler himself but damn would I ever try my balls off for that deal.

31. Puritania says:

@M.O. lol I hear that, I want Phoenix to fold and move to a hockey market. Them and Nashville, Atlanta and Florida. Two can go to Canadian cities and the rest can go to cities in the U.S. where hockey isn’t a cute sideshow.

Puritania: Agreed. I’ve heard really good things about Jeff Petry (and seen him play a few games this year as well). But I have to wonder if dominating at the College level is all that impressive when it comes to defense. But he had a pretty well rounded game. So it’s good we have him in the system. But I’d really like to see us get our own, Doughty / Pietrangelo / Myers / etc. type. If this were last year’s draft, I’d be pushing for the Oil to draft Hedman.

Look at everything that that douche Pronger did for this team.

That said, I have been extremely impressed by Whitney so far though. He’s no Pronger, but he’s been a rock on the blueline and him paired with Whitney is pretty impressive. But it would be nice to have that franchise d-man for real in the system. That would pretty much solidify our team for the future.

33. Puritania says:

Pronger can eat my shit, but yeah he was the catalyst of the team in ’06. Every championship team needs that franchise defenseman. Ideally if we can move up from 31st to 2-15 I’d try and grab a guy like Erik Gudbranson or Dylan McIlrath.

35. Puritania says:

My comments won’t load up to edit for some reason but I forgot to mention that Whitney has played stellar so far. I hope him and Gilby continue to kick ass. Add in Gudbranson or McIlrath with Laddie to the mix and you have quite a nice top four.

36. Puritania says:

gr8one: Yeah, I totally agree with the sentiments regarding acquiring a franchise D man. I think that really is the next important piece of the puzzle, every great team has has one.If you were drafting right now, knowing what we all know, would you take Stamkos, or Doughty? how’s that for a tough call….

Man that’s a good question. I think I’d have to go with Doughty, I have a man crush on that guy. As awesome as Stamkos is I think Doughty has the stuff to be a hall of famer.

Yeah, I think I gotta agree about Doughty, the kid is an absolute stud. I too developed a man-crush on him during the Olympics. The fact that he was outstanding in the playoffs this year didn`t hurt either.

btw, Mike Patton is the shit.

38. Puritania says:

@gr8one: Fuck yeah Patton is the shit! everything that man does is pure gold.

39. dawgtoy says:

Looks like our boy MPS did well today at the worlds…Goal and two assists.

Nice to hear. Hopefully he comes and gels with Hemsky in camp.

Yah that’s awesome. I guess he was just added to the roster this morning too (or at least finalized on the game roster). No points for Omark though. But that’s alright.

42. dawgtoy says:

I was thinking that I hope he gels with Seguin.

gr8one: Wow, that is awesome. I had read somewhere that he didn’y make the final cut. GREAT NEWS!

I remember you posting that. Then heard he had a big day today and was very confused lmao. Great news indeed though!

46. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: Great day for MPS today at the WHC!! How cant this kid be on the team next year?

Because the Oilers won’t be playing Norway for 82 games? ;)

He made the team that morning. I don’t know the details as to why.. I’m guessing someone got hurt..??