Quinn reacts to Souray trade request

By , April 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Pat Quinn made a short, but strong statement today in regards to Sheldon Souray’s trade request:

It’s been no secret here. He’s made it clear for a long time (that he wants a trade). We have a hard enough time trying to build team framework. I always believed you should be able to look around that room and look into a teammate’s eyes and say ‘I’m giving it my best and I want you to do the same. That’s how a team builds trust. If you don’t want to play here, don’t screw around. Get the hell out. If you’ve got one guy sitting over there who doesn’t want to bloody well be here, how do you build trust, how do you have a team? You don’t. Sheldon knows how I feel about that sort of thing. This organization, certainly in my time, and I know the people involved here, are not people who would order them to go and play if they were in (injured). Legally it’s dumb. Secondly, I as a coach don’t want a guy in the lineup wearing the sweater who is in a position to let his teammates down because he is not physically or mentally ready to go.

EDIT: Updated with more quote from Quinn.

38 Responses to “Quinn reacts to Souray trade request”

1. Oilersman says:

Good, get him the hell out of here Tambs! Good on ya Quinn, feed it like it is!!! Give him the flying elbow you gave Orr on the way out!!

While I do agree with Quinn’s words, I am a bit irked (albeit unsurprised, however) at how the fans are already acting with venom against Souray. I’m glad he came here when no one else did. It bothers me more that our management team is so out of touch with the players than it does that Souray would ask for a trade. I honestly get tired of fans here running people out of town every time something doesn’t go right though. Just accept the fact that he doesn’t want to be here and move on. It’s a good opportunity for the Oilers to be able to move him and his salary, and pick up a player who could be of help to the team.

That said, I am never happy when a player asks for/demands a trade. But I think this city has a bad enough rep as is without flaming every player that came in here and played well and with heart (which he did) when they are gone.

3. Oilersman says:

Good on Quinn for saying this. Look I like Souray but if he really wants a trade he should have just told Tambi like he did and he shouldn’t have went out and made it public to the media. Shame on him for doing that. Tambi you heard Coach Quinn get him the hell out of Edmonton and bring in someone who wants to be here and can make an impact on the team.

Oilersman: Yeah we get a bad rep for ragging on players leaving Racki, and I understand where your coming from, but Souray was saying it wasn’t the fans, it wasn’t the team, yet if you listen to his interview with Tencer he didn’t name players but said there was some leadership problems and certain players may have been problems in the room… and also was saying all of this WHILE mocking the Oilers management… seems to me like a double slap in the face to me… I guess for being half healthy in all 3 seasons, and a half-ass leader he only deserved what’s coming to him… a swift kick in the ass!It’s a privilege to play in Edmonton, you don’t like it, get out! Like Quinn said :P

How is that a slap in the face?? Fuck that, if our team is screwed up.. say it. That’s what I want. I don’t want people to sugar coat it and hide problems. It just emphasizes stuff I’ve been suspecting for a while.

And I can agree with B.O., that going public with it is possibly a bad idea.. but I think it just forces Katz’s hand. Let’s get this team cleaned up while we can. Leadership is a problem? This I’m not surprised about.

Would you really rather have a guy here have a fake smile on his face and say everything is fine while the team rots at the bottom of the barrel, or would you rather have a player be one more black mark, yet get the ball rolling on a REAL rebuild and help cleanse this team of the fuck ups (looking at you Moreau, Lowe, Tabmellini and others) that have been dragging the team down for years?

I also wouldn’t call him a half-assed leader at all. I think you’ve got him mistaken for #18 who gave the “yah I don’t know why we just can’t win” kinds of responses. Whitney is a lot like Souray, but he’s getting praise… both guys were very honest while here. Whitney is proving to be a better leader. Screw the lame excuses, and the old boys club crap. Clean the team up properly.

We need guys that will hold the team accountable and hold themselves accountable… and well, hold EVERYONE accountable. Souray did that, and now people are running him out of town. Whether you guys realize it or not yet, he did the team a favor. It’s just a matter of whether or not Katz will pick up on that favor.

Yes, Souray’s demands are going to ensure we get less than equal value in return for him, but it could ensure that the real problems with this team are addressed. So thank you, Sheldon Souray for the honesty.

edit: btw, my post may seem a bit harsh and aimed at you, Oilersman, but definitely not.

Souray talking on the Oilers website right now. Its on the front page. Basically saying everything we have heard the past few days.

Yah one thing he stressed was that he was trying to prove himself and justify his salary when he really wasn’t ready to health wise. He also briefly touched on leadership issues, but didn’t really go into it at all unfortunately. He did say the past two months have been incredibly difficult for him and “shone the light on the business side of things”. Not sure what all he meant by that though.

Quote from Quinn has been expanded above. Funny how journalists cut out some of the juicier bits.

Anyways, Quinn is basically calling Souray on him saying that he was pressured into playing while hurt.

I still say that I’m glad that Souray is speaking his mind, however I do think there are some holes to his argument as well.

Bottom line is this.

The Oilers clearly have managerial issues, and this Souray situation shines the spotlight on that, and I’m happy for that reason, and although doubtful, I am hopeful it will be a the “final straw” as they say and become the catalyst for some real change in the front office.

The other side of the coin is Souray certainly went about it poorly, and not only helped diminish his tradability, but also likely lessened the return we will get for him now.

So really, if this circumstance helps lead to positive change in the structure of this franchise going forward, it can be a good thing, but that ultimately falls on Katz and how he deals with this. If however nothing comes of this, no changes are made, and this franchise stays stuck in it’s ways, and maintains it’s shitty reputation, then it’s lose-lose across the board, as we likely end up getting less than fair market value for an asset, and the Oilers organization continues to look like a circus.

Gr8one: Agreed, but I don’t think that falls on Souray’s shoulders though. I think he did the right thing, personally. A lot of people in the media and otherwise are saying “do it behind closed doors!”. But we know shit never gets done that way. It gets brushed under the rug. Time for the media types to stop kiss-assing management as well, and consider that there could be a problem there.

Yes, his value is diminished, but it’s the only way anything will get done. It doesn’t guarantee that anything WILL get done, but what good does it do if he approaches Tambellini quietly about it? It certainly doesn’t help the management issue. Is he going to go talk to Katz? I doubt that. But either way, it just holds management more accountable and forces Katz to look at that areas as well too.

11. Oilersman says:

*cringes* sorry racki… lol

What a mess. I am saying this without the benefit of hearing any interviews so I am going out on a limb here, but what exactly do fans want?

I read all kinds of comments from sports fans in general about being annoyed with ‘canned’ responses in interviews and appreciating candid, honest responses in an effort to find out what things are really like. But heaven forbid if any player says something the fans don’t like, and then it’s all about how the players are being paid the big bucks and they should just keep quiet and stop complaining, among other things.

Pronger and Heatley were both hated for not disclosing their reasons for wanting out of/not wanting in to Oil Country. Now Souray gives full disclosure, rules out all the speculative stuff like the fans/city and he’s hated as well. Isn’t that hypocritical? The players are damned if they do keep quiet and damned if they don’t.

I appreciate the honesty from Souray and everyone should remember he was only stating what he felt and how management made him feel. Given he has been around a while he has other teams to compare to. If anyone just wants to turn a blind eye to the problems that have been identified here and wish nothing had gone public and now just say get the hell out, then don’t expect things to change. Remember, this has become public knowledge now, but other players have probably known about these things for a long time. If management makes younger players like Gagner or Eberle feel the same way, then hope for this team is dim no matter what draft selection they have this year. It becomes a vicious cycle.

Oilersman: *cringes* sorry racki… lol

LOL! Dont’ apologize. Like I said, I wasn’t directing my reply at you specifically. I was at first, with the “slap in the face” comment, but I honestly didn’t mean it anywhere nearly as harsh as it came out (thus my edit at the bottom lol). I get pretty carried away in my tone at times and ramble on, and in no way was it meant to shoot your point down. I fully understand your point, I’m just saying that I’m glad Souray did what he did, and I think it was the right thing. I think I’m very much in the minority on this though.

Racki:

Yeah, I totally agree that it doesn’t solely rest on Souray’s shoulders, and I really do appreciate Souray’s honesty. I guess my only issue is the timing of it all, but the more I think about the timing, the more I realize it actually kind of had to be now.

I mean, what were the alternatives? He waited until the season was over, it’s obvious the bridge was already burning out of control, so it’s not like he could have extinguished those flames, and what good would waiting do? wait until the draft and he’s already been traded? well, I guess maybe…but then what impact would have that had?? He’d come across as just another disgruntled ex-employee and most people would probably have just shrugged it off.

But really, if nothing comes of this and the status quo is maintained, that will be the biggest kick in the nuts as a fan.

LNOF: Exactly what I’ve been trying to convey as well, thanks!

gr8one: the timing is definitely good (assuming something actually becomes of it, which I doubt). If we’re rebuilding for real, now is exactly when you need to hear about these issues, not in 10 years when he’s retired, and he’s writing his autobiography. Get it out while we’re already undergoing change, and then we can just completely start fresh. I am naive in my thinking, but I would love for Katz to listen to what Souray has to say, then go and talk to some players one on one. Talk to a vet or two, and talk to a rookie or two. I’d say, Horcoff, Whitney, Gagner, Cogliano would be good starters… but realistically, it won’t happen.

LNOF: Fantastic comment.

and Racki, yeah that would be an ideal approach for Katz to take, but I too have my doubts.

17. MetalOil says:

I liked Souray and still do but I do not really buy that he was pushed to play before he was ready too due to injurys as something that is not the norm in this sport or any other sport. I mean if he was playing before he was ready too then why was he still fighting? Even if he was not 100% ready he was probably at least 90% ready and in the NHL players play despite not being 100%. Just look at Ryan Getzlaf of the Ducks who admitted today that he had been playing not only with a sprained ankle but also with partially torn ligaments between the tibia and fibula in his leg since a February 8th collision with Kings’ forward Dustin Brown.
    Sorry Souray but I do not buy it one bit.

18. Horpensky says:

19. John says:

F’n rights Racki, I was trying to explain the same line of thinking on the OMB but I don’t think it was well received. I tried to draw a parallel between powerful, ambivalent organizations like the Oilers & large corporations as well as government. If it wasn’t for whistle blowers & watchdog commitees do you think these guys would become self-acountable? “Sorry folks, we spent $2billion more last week than we should have, we’ll fix that”, or “Whoops! sorry about all the animals that died in the toxic sewage, we will clean that up right away at our cost”. Give me a break.

Souray might have been a jackass the way he went about his business but at least these issues are all out in the open to ponder now. There have been issues here at least since the cup run, everybody must have had a feeling? Think about Cole, he was gung ho to be an Oiler when he first came, couldn’t stop talking about the storied franchise steeped in tradition & lore. When he left less than a year later he looked like he had been dragged under a bus!

He stayed silent & look how much good THAT did the fans & the franchise :(

Hey John, must be fairly new here eh? Welcome to POTF.

Cole was one of my favourite Oilers last year hands down. He just couldn’t seem to “fit in” which really sucked because he’s the kind of player that the Oilers should be bringing in. Now that this Souray thing has came up and you mentioned Cole, I remember seeing him just before the trade deadline last year.

He almost looked like he was going to cry or something and was fairly silent when I talked to him (at the autograph signing). It was very odd, it could have been something else but I think it was the fact that he knew he was going to be traded again.

The media must be drooling like a fat kid who’s just about to eat a tipple chocolate cake covered in smarties. The Souray drama, top pick, all these trades that will probably be happening over the summer, possibly new captain and just for shits and giggles they may mention some type of development of the new arena. Oh and not to mention the re-location and “new” AHL team.

Like most, if not all of you already pointed out, what kind of team/organization are we trying to build that doesn’t address these certain issues.

zackman35: The media must be drooling like a fat kid who’s just about to eat a tipple chocolate cake covered in smarties.

Not the local media however…they are just going to tow the company line

22. Oilersman says:

Horpensky: Wow Quinn totally just told him to GTFO, and Tambo said Souray is lying. Maybe Souray just saw himself totally replaced by Whitney

Agreed! He didn’t want to think about 2nd line mins, and less PP time… he would be too “humiliated” poor Souray, tell me… what team is going to play him top line mins with all the injuries he has had? It’s really funny but I was also reading some quote’s from Souray from when he left Montreal, and guess what? Management was a problem too… *chuckling*

Steve-O:
    Not the local media however…they are just going to tow the company line

Agreed.

And on the note of Souray, I think a lot of Oilers fans suffer from severe short term memory. All I heard was “Moreau is a shitty captain, hand it over to Souray, he is a no BS guy that speaks his mind!”. Now look…

Sorry guys, but while I do question some of what Souray is saying, I think he was great for this team, and its disappointing to see the rabid fans already on him.

T-minus 30 days until rumors of Souray sleeping with another player’s wife creep up.

24. MetalOil says:

To me this Souray situation does not have nearly as much bite as the Pronger one. When Prongs wanted out he was damned near the best D-man in the NHL and it hurt us fans very deeply. Shelly is an injury prone -19 dman & I will be happy to take back another teams bad contract/player situation plus maybe a 5th round draft pick cause in no way will trading Souray damage this team to the degree that Pronger leaving did. There will be no “He is whipped” type coments coming from me. Just trade him, forget him and move forward.

That’s how I want to see it too, MetalOil. It’s fine by me, trading him. I just don’t want to see any more of the stupid comments and rumors people started about other players here. He definitely is no Pronger, but I think we can get an OK player in return. Better than what people are expecting.. now obviously I’m not delusional in thinking we’re going to get a perennial all-star back though, or anything.

26. MetalOil says:

I forget where I heard it but apparently the Dallas Stars are being mentioned as a front runner to land Souray and I think most of us know who would be coming back in a deal with the Stars.

Yah, I’m not sure I want Ribeiro at all. Decent player, but yah.. count me as not a fan of that trade.

28. MetalOil says:

I would look at it as a plan B trade if nothing better came about.
    I also think you may be overvaluing the return for a player who is injury prone, has clearly stated he wants out of here(thus giving the acquiring team the upper hand in trade negotiations)& makes more then his worth.
    At this point I take Ribeiro for him but we do have some time to find other options but in no way shape or form can he be on this team come training camp.

Perhaps, but I don’t think we need to take on another guy that potentially duplicates what we have here. Plan B for sure.

I’d be ok with Ribeiro, as I think he is very capable of being a #1 center, but then we’re creating another logjam, we’d have Ribs, Gagner, Horcoff, Eberle, Cogliano, Pouliot, Potulny, Brule, and O’Sullivan, now granted not all of those players have to play center, and in some cases(Cogliano most notably) they shouldn’t be centers at all, however, almost all are small, skilled centers, so I guess what I’m saying is fine with Ribeiro, but only if they can than flip some of those other guys for assets.

Ribs was hurt this year and only played in 66 games(although 19g/53p ain’t bad either), but the two previous seasons he put up 78 and 83 points and 22 and 27 goals respectively, those are better than Hemsky numbers.

31. John says:

Thanks for the welcome Zackman!
    Gr8, I know what you are saying about the logjam @ center but in that respect, Ribeiro is a no go in my books. We need a bonafide #1 center to unquestionably replace Horc or Gags for that matter. Bringing a guy like Ribeiro is like trading oranges for oranges again instead of bringing in the big cantaloupe don’t you think?

32. MetalOil says:

Well Steve Tamby’s end of the season presser will be streamed live on the Oilers website at 1:00pm. He is sure to touch on the Souray situation and based on his brief comments on the subject yesterday I expect him to prove that Sheldon’s comments about being forced to play hurt are untrue based on the language that Steve used.

Here are his comments from yesterday.

“Sheldon’s comments are unfortunate and counterproductive, but we are going to manage through this in a responsible and professional manner. We understand Sheldon has had a tough year and he has a desire to play elsewhere. His additional comments regarding being ‘forced to play’ when injured are far more serious and my stance is that they are demonstrably untrue.”

Anything less then Concrete proof and I may have to give Sheldon the benefit of the doubt on this one.

John: Thanks for the welcome Zackman!

yeah, I actually totally agree with most of what you say, although I think my post seemed to come across as be pro Ribeiro, that’s not really the case, I guess my point was that although Ribeiro might not be true #1 center material,I do believe he would be an upgrade offensively for any C’s we currently have. Gagner will likely be better, but I think he’s probably at least another season away from really blooming, and Eberle hopefully meets expectations, but that would be far too much to expect from him in the next 2-3 years, that pretty much leaves Horcoff, and well, I think that’s all that needs to be said there.

So far this thing keeps cutting out a lot on me.. but Tambellini is saying a lot of the right stuff so far.

Yeah, I am actually really liking what I am hearing Tambi so far…

This offseason is going to be interesting if nothing else.

Basically to sum up what I heard between audio break-ups:

– “i’m sick and tired of people complaining about the city, this organization.. ‘ i don’t like the coach/manager ‘, ‘it’s too cold’..” (aka, Suck it up and play, buttercup.. be proud of the Oil crest and stuff this other B.S.)

– He seems to be indicating that the #1 pick is not up for grabs, even in exchange for #2. He wants his scouts to make the decision

– There are about 213 fuck-ups in the Oilers organization and he realizes he has a lot of work to do – “this is not a quick fix”.

edit: oh, also he said Souray asked for a trade about a year ago.

37. MetalOil says:

Maybe we can do something with the Panthers. Horton for Souray perhaps??? Aren’t the Panthers and him at odds right now?

M&O:

Yeah, I’ve been an advocate of acquiring Horton for awhile now as I think he’d be perfect in our top 6, I think we’d have to add something to the pot to make that trade happen, but I ‘ve been mulling over something like Souray and Cogs for Horton and McCabe.

McCabe would be a good veteran presence on the blueline, still has talent, but is overpaid much like Souray, but he only has one year left on his contract as opposed to 2 for Souray. we could get half a season out of him then maybe we could flip him at the draft as he’d make a fantastic rental for a contender or team making a playoff push.