Putting on the Pool – 2010 Official POTF Hockey Pool!

By , April 12, 2010 9:49 am
This could be you, after winning the first ever POTF Playoff Pool!

This could be you, after winning the first ever POTF Playoff Pool!

OK folks, sorry for the delay, but we finally have a pool going!

I wish it were a bit more straightforward, but here are the steps for joining the pool:

1) Sign up on Sportsnet’s pool site. It appears to be separate from their regular site log on. NOTE: When you register, it looks like your name in the pool is the username you sign in with.
2) Once you are logged in, go to the group search section and search for Putting On The Foil 2010. The password for the group is potfrocks
3) Once you’re all joined up, pick your players! You pick for each round. Pick Deadline for round 1 is 05:00 PM MST on Wednesday, Apr. 14, 2010.

The pool rules are available here.

We will be updating the standings here frequently, but you can also check them on Sportsnet at this link.

For those wondering, I’ve signed up as “cstooch” (damn it that I can’t change that) and Steve-O is sln0069. Don’t forget to pick a good name, and post on here who you are, so we can laugh at your picks!

Oh and one final thing, I guess by being in the pool on Sportsnet, we all have a shot at winning some kick ass prizes through Sportsnet. But what about the winner of our group, you say? Well, for now it is just bragging rights, but I’m currently in negotiations with Steve-O to convince him to send the winner pictures of his sister, but that doesn’t seem to be going so well.

Other links:
Playoff Schedule

49 Responses to “Putting on the Pool – 2010 Official POTF Hockey Pool!”

1. YDNAR says:

YDNAR1 if your interested in my picks. First time I have entered one of these since I was in junior high and that was a long time ago. Kind of off the board picks but it always seems like some players get better when the pressure is on and I think I picked most of them.

2. Smokin' Ray says:

I’m in. I await my ass whopping. Go easy on me. I have a tendency to not be good at playoff pools.

Nice, welcome guys… keep ‘em comin.

Don’t forget to throw your name up here too. The only one I don’t recognize so far is unclechee . Everyone is welcome in here, regular posters, friends of posters.. everybody. But it would be cool to know who everyone is. :)

4. Samus says:

Done

5. Oilersman says:

For anyone wondering I had an account lonnnng ago, so I’m flameboy62 in the pool :) Real name is Matthew

:| Flameboy… well…. at least you picked the right team, in the end. :P

7. Oilersman says:

yeah sorry about that, no relevance to hockey at all… I was in grade 8-9 when I first got into pools, and that’s well… a few years back, I was a skateboarder too, and I liked the guy Flameboy (popular skating icon)… that being said I made a user name based on that lol… Die hard Oil fan none the less :P

LOL OK, alright, you can stay here then without us giving you too bad a hard time. :P I see resident Flames fan “DropIt” has signed up.. really there is only room for one Flames fan! :P (kidding)

9. mrgod2u says:

I’m in

not sure about pics of my sister as a prize, but i did hear Racki offer up his bunghole to the winner

Hmm… anyone looking to be a writer for POTF? We need a replacement…

12. Oilersman says:

hahahah nevermind, I thought you were serious for a second! Then I read the above comment ROFL!

13. Puritania says:

Heya I’m signed up. My username is Banned_From_Heaven

14. MetalOil says:

Alright I am gonna try this. I am username BringBackKlima.

Nice, that makes 11 so far. There is no limit on the number of people who can join (as far as I can tell). So, bring it on!

16. Smokin' Ray says:

Obviously I’m OilersJambalaya. I must have missed the creative part. lol.

hah, I figured that one out :P

ok, I’m signed up as “d0nkey_punch”…haven’t made my picks yet though….

lol..I missed the creative part too, and just went with my fantasy hockey name, oh well…

20. dawgtoy says:

I`m in! Regular reader and fan of the site, infrequent blogger!

Good to hear Dawgtoy and gr8one… great turn out so far! The deadline looks to be Wednesday, so I hope that anyone who is interested will jump on in.

22. Trogdor says:

Signed up and hopefully I fare better than the regular season. I could use another big screen TV. Pretty self explanatory, but I’m POTF_Trogdor.

23. DropIt says:

Racki: LOL OK, alright, you can stay here then without us giving you too bad a hard time. I see resident Flamers fan “DropIt” has signed up.. really there is only room for one Flamers fan! (kidding)

Token Flames fan!

And without my biased picks, Im sure to win!

lol…Racki, you should put the word filter for DropIt’s name to be “token”.

25. MetalOil says:

chuckerspuckers is now in the pool. Also, I third the motion for “token”. :D

MetalOil: I have never done a pool before. I can’t seem to find the Rules on the sportsnet site. How does it work.

Once you sign up you choose some players for the first round. For each round we will have to choose players. Click on the tab ‘My Picks’ to choose your team for this round.

28. MetalOil says:

Thanks Steve-O I have already picked my team and I just found the scoring system.
    1 Pt for a goal
    1 Pt for an assist
    1 Extra Pt for a OT goal or Assist.
    Goalies
    2 Pts for a win
    2 Pts for a Shutout
    Hope my gamble of picking Jonathan Quick for my west goalie pays off.

29. Oilrsgrl77 says:

chucker: chuckerspuckers is now in the pool. Also, I third the motion for “token”.

Haaii!! Was just talking about getting you in on the pool this morning :)

HabOiler also just joined. Now we just need Norweigan Oiler, Hockey Noob, and OilersTyler in there.. amongst anyone else that wants to join. We’ve got a pretty solid group so far though! 20 people in the pool so far.

Just joined, when you guys first started talking about it I thought it was a money thing and I’m already doing that type of pool at work. So I’m not a p#$$y but I am cheap! Anyway, figured this pool needs more women to keep you guys in line. If I win, you can spare me the pics of Steve-o’s sister though.

32. Puritania says:

Good luck everyone :)

Damnit. Signed up this morning and was about to pick some players but then I went to go see my girlfriend and I just got back home now. There was something at the back of my mind all day I just couldn’t remember. Now I do.

34. Puritania says:

Brodeur and Parise really wiped the floor with me.

My first draft I had Miller and Backstrom over those two and Doughty over Keith in the west. should have listened to my gut.

Oh well, here’s hoping I do better in round two.

Yah i’m not faring so well in the pool. :P

36. Puritania says:

yeah I noticed you took Brodie as well, that sumbitch failed us!

lol, yeah, MB failed a lot of us, but I still managed to do ok despite having him.

Yah I had him and Parise too. I think the biggest surprise for me has been Keith, who got zero points so far.

39. Puritania says:

Yeah for sure, after much deliberation I decided to scrap Doughty for Keith. Needless to say I’m stoked at that decision! :P

Well at least I do have Doughty.. but could have used a better second western d-man.

41. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m currently tied for 65th spot in the Sportsnet pool. Pretty amazing considering there must be thousands of entries. Well, time for me to pull a classic Oilers collapse.

holy shit! keep it up, man!

haha, Mr.M that’s awesome! at least the only guy ahead of me is elite! :p

If you win the pool, I recommend donating your 198 inch TV grand prize to the staff of this fine site. :lol:

Seriously though, good luck.. that would be pretty damn amazing just to finish in the top 100.. hell, top 1000.. never mind have a chance to come close to winning it.

And well, I guess knowing that you are #65 / 30128340923 poolers, I don’t feel so bad about stinking up the bottom of the pool.

POTF POOLERS:

Just as a heads up, the deadline for Round 2 picks is tomorrow (Thursday) at 9PM ET (7PM for Albertans). Set up your picks now, and change them tomorrow if need be, based on the outcome of the Montreal/Washington game.

46. MetalOil says:

Done !!! Hopefully this segment treats me better :) In my defense it is the fist time I have attempted a pool & at least I am beating our resident Flames fan “Token” :)

I’ve done a few, and I’m not doing well at all.

Worst yet is the work pool that Steve-O, Trogdor and I are involved in. The stakes are pretty embarrassing. The loser will undergo horrible shame during a lunch out together. So far, I’m sitting in last!

48. MetalOil says:

My downfall was Hating on the Nucks but I am gonna stick to my guns and keep the same strategy and load up on Blackhawks for round 2!!! The Hawks do see to own the Nucks of late :) looking back I should have taken a Wing or two as well. What was I thinking not to do so :(

Hah, well I took Datsyuk / Zetterberg and H. Sedin and I still am only sitting in 15th.

I had a few players that were poor choices like Carter. As well, not having one of Ovi or Backstrom was bad ( I didn’t take either because I thought they’d sweep the Habs and not have enough time to rack up good points). Also, Keith ended up barely doing anything this last round.

Add in picks such as Parise and Brodeur, and there you have it.