Oilers sign Linus Omark to 2-year, 2-way Deal, Chris Vande Velde also signs

By , April 5, 2010 9:37 am

From TSN.ca:

According to a report in Swedish newspaper Expressen, the Edmonton Oilers have signed prospect Linus Omark to a two-year deal.

It is reportedly a two-way deal worth $800,000 if Omark sticks with the Oilers. The deal also included an $80,000 signing bonus.

The 23-year old Omark was selected in the fourth round, 97th overall, by the Oilers in the 2007 NHL Entry draft. He has spent the past season with Moscow Dynamo of the KHL, scoring 20 goals and adding 16 assists in 56 games. The Oilers remained busy on Monday as they also signed NCAA prospect Chris Vande Velde.

The 23-year old Vande Velde will report to the Oilers’ AHL affiliate in Springfield this weekend. The University of North Dakota product was chosen in the fourth round, 97th overall by the Oilers in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. In 43 games for the Fighting Sioux this season, the Moorhead, Minnesota native had 18 goals and 17 assists.

Good to hear that he signed a 2-way deal for Omark!

UPDATE: Added the Vande Velde signing.

14 Responses to “Oilers sign Linus Omark to 2-year, 2-way Deal, Chris Vande Velde also signs”

Awesome, training camp is going to be interesting!!

With Eberle and now this signing, it really seems to make the likes of Nilsson, O’Sully and even Cogs that much more expendable…throw Souray into that mix and we have some damn fine bargaining chips to hopefully get another high draft pick and/or a good roster player via trade.

Oklahoma should be much improved over Springfield as well, looking forward to that.

It’s a two-way deal too… which of course just simply means that if they put him in Oklahoma, he will make AHL money instead of NHL money. But it’s good that he agreed to that, as I know it was a stumbling point before.

3. Horpensky says:

I’ve been on an Oilers hiatus for a while, but this is one of the best news I’ve heard in a long time. TC will be very competitive!

Yup, lots of depth coming up for the 2010 TC. Also bodes well for our farm team (well, if people report…)

Good deal in my view. Nice to see a guy like him signed to an entry level deal. Somewhere Nilsson is crapping his pants.

6. MetalOil says:

1) O”Sully
    2) Nilsson
    3) Poo
    4) Cogs

GOOD!Its about time Omark came over to test himself over here! It seems like young players are liking what we are doing here right now!

OILERS ALSO SIGNED CHRIS VANDE VELDE

MetalOil: So in my view the list of players who should be traded(of our small forwards) are:
    1) O”Sully
    2) Nilsson
    3) Poo
    4) Cogs

I wouldn’t really say Poo is small, and I personally hope we don’t give up on him, I think he will still become a very good player, other than that, I tend to agree with your list, although with O’Sully, as much as I see him as being expendable I do think he is MUCH better than he showed this season, and it’s unfortunate because we won’t get fair value in a trade.

9. MetalOil says:

I also like the new MAP and think he has shown true potential for a 3rd line player and in no way would I be upset if he were on the roster next year. Same for Nilsson too. I think he has shown some improvement of late but with him its too little to late and I think that this summer his value will be higher then it will ever be again and since someone has to go it should be him and O’Sully.

10. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: Kind of coincidental that both of these players that were signed today were selected in the 4th round, 97th overall in their respective draft years(97,95).

lol…I assume you meant ’07, and ’05 as their draft years?

but I agree, the 2000′s flew by! :p

13. MetalOil says:

Racki: I’m completely fine with MetalOil’s trade list, except Cogliano… but I’m pretty sure the Oilers will move him. I just want to kick the Oilers organization in the nuts because they’ve pretty much held him back all year, until the end, and that’s when he showed how well he can play.

Yeah with Cogs I just get the feeling he will be thrown in on some type of big trade cause…… well he has good value unlike the rest of the kids on my list.

14. MetalOil says:

gr8one:
    lol…I assume you meant ‘07, and ‘05 as their draft years?but I agree, the 2000’s flew by! :p

LOL uh might be time for me to kick a habit or 2.