By , April 9, 2010 9:43 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Los Angeles Kings
logo Edmonton Oilers 4 FINAL (SO) logo Los Angeles Kings 3
26-46-8 Record 45-27-8
Location: Staples Center
Date: April 10, 2010 @ 2:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

Two final games left in the season for the Oilers. Be prepared for an early one. Oddly enough, this one is on Sportsnet too (you would think a Saturday game would be on CBC). I’m going to keep this write up short. The Oilers are 5-4-1 in their last 10, while the Kings are 4-3-3.

Prediction: 4-3 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Cogliano
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Linglet-Pouliot-Jones
Comrie-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Whitney-Gilbert
Chorney-Strudwick
Johnson-Arsene

Dubnyk
Deslauriers

Los Angeles Kings Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Modin-Handzus-Simmonds
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Richardson-Halpern

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Jones
O’Donnell-Greene

Quick
Ersberg

GAME NOTES

– Nilsson didn’t make the road trip, due to medical reasons. With only 2 games left, his season is done.
– Unrelated to tonight’s game, but… per the Oilers’ Official Twitter: Oilers prospect G Olivier Roy stops 30 of 33 shots in 3-2 OT defeat for Springfield in his AHL/pro debut.

25 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 4, Los Angeles Kings 3 (SO) – April 10, 2010 @ 2:00 PM – SNET– Game 81”

1. Horpensky says:

So close.. can’t wait for playoffs to start. The last stretch seems to be dragging on and on

I agree things are dragging, but I always find it a bit depressing entering the playoffs again without feeling any passion towards any specific team. I’m sure I’ll get caught up in the excitement sooner or later though. Perhaps with this LAK team given the Oiler alumni on it.

Looks like I will completely miss this game though. Starts at 5pm my time, I’m working until 6:30, my son plays at 7 so his game will end after the Oilers game. I’ll try to get on the site though to follow along for the first half.

Nice for Roy to get some time in the A to end his season. Doesn’t sound like too bad a debut for him, definitely could have been worse.

Nice to see Roy have a good start. Finally the missery will end tomorrow. Then two months of waiting for the draft…

Don’t forget the lottery on Tues!

5. Horpensky says:

Draft Lottery!

Tuesday, April 13th, 6pm MST! Live on TSN!

Horpensky: Draft Lottery!Tuesday, April 13th, 6pm MST! Live on TSN!If you’ve guys have been playing the draft simulator, I found that Tampa keeps winning for some reason. If they win, I’m going to cry. How can a team with this much talent be so bad!

I came across an interesting post at the OMB last night, the post as follows…

Korolynth: The lottery is rigged by the NHL and Tuesday will prove it. The Oilers will not win the lottery…the most likely candidate is either Toronto or Florida.

My explanation…

2006…St.Louis was also going through ownership and management changes. Plus being an American Franchise helped.

2007..Bill Wirtz died mid season in Chicago. Again..enter ownership and management changes…Chicago got a nice present from the NHL.

2008..Tampa is in the process of being sold….guess who gets the pick???…the team with the ownership issues.

2009. The Islanders are lobbying for a new building and Wang did threaten to sell the Islanders at some point during the season. See where this is heading?

2010..The NHL really only has two choices…send the pick to Boston or Florida. This could go either way, but there is no way Edmonton is going to win given the lottery’s history of going to American teams with ownership/building issues. The safe money is on the Toronto pick that Boston holds, but they might do Florida a favor to boost attendance there too.

The Oilers are too stable a Franchise for the NHL to rig the lottery in their favor. At least we either get Hall or Seguin.

How would this be possible? You can easily inject paint or substance into the balls.

Is there any truth behind this? In my opinion I doubt it but it does look awfully fishy.

Either way, Seguin or Hall will probably be in Oilers silks next year. As I’ve stated numerous times I hope its Seguin.

On a side note, I kind of find it interesting how one athlete can potentially influence the cash flow of millions and millions of dollars.

Interesting that in 5 of those examples, 3 of the teams retained the 1st pick in accordance with the highest probability of doing so after their last place finishes.

If people (not you zackman) want to buy into the conspiracy theories and analyze them to death, I guess that’s up to them. I don’t buy it myself.

Woah Racki – that’s my comment above and when I try to edit it, it looks normal. Not sure what happened there.

edit – nvm, now it looks normal, before it was jibberish. I think you have Gremlins…

9. MetalOil says:

Well this one is my team Vs. my playoff team. I like the slot that the Kings are in right now (6th place & would open vs the Canucks). Not sure how a win or loss would affect the Kings as its very close in the standings from 5th-7th so I just hope for another exciting game like we were treated to against the Avs last time out. Hope Penner has another strong game. He was a force out their vs the Avs. I really hope they hang on to him.

Yah sorry, not buying the conspiracy theories.

11. NorwegianOiler says:

30th: 48,2%
    29th: 18,8%
    28th: 14,2%
    27th: 10,7%
    26th: 8,1%

Lockout year (for the 2005 draft)

2005 draft

2007 draft:

2008 draft:

2009 draft:

2010 draft:

LateNightOilFan: Don’t forget the lottery on Tues!

The lottery will be stressfull. I really hope we control who we pick and win the lottery. I believe it would make trading up for an additional pick a lot easier.

@ NO, I was going to reply to that too but you took care of it nicely. By his own “logic” one could argue that Edmonton is looking for a new rink, is a team in crisis and therefore the lottery will be rigged for us. Honestly, these conspiracy guys are just silly.

This penalty shot should be good, crazy stick! Nice doobie.

And as always NO your post is top notch quality. I didn’t even look into it really just thought it was an interesting that he’d say that. And there usually is a correlation with a teams record and their fan base.

When we look back at this game come season opener we’re probably going to be blown away by all the faces that we call our Oilers right now.

Anyone around? I see the Kings are more than doubling us in shots, what about scoring chances?

edit – Guess no one’s around! Looks like it’s the Doobie & Comrie show so far, that’s good. I’m off to a more local game, hope this one ends well.

just joining now, missed the first half of the game

atta boy gilbert

how many points are we away from our worst season ever?

19. NorwegianOiler says:

Steve-O: Its a nice problem to have I suppose, but Dubnyk and Deslaurier are both waiver eligible next year and unless we roll with 3 goalies chances are we lose one. Hope we pick the right one.

Hehe – I foresee many suggestions that the one we keep should be Dubnyk, and the other should be Deslauriers…:P

Butt ugly win, btw, having a minute of 5-3 and not even being able to gain the zone is terra-awfu-gly. Even though it has taken some 75 games or so, we have seemingly grasped the concept of net presence in front of our own cage, however, and we cleared away quite a good amount of rebounds that were goals earlier in the year.

DD played unreal today. Gilbert with another goal and 2 more assists. In my mind he has played so well since the deadline and being paired up with Whitney that I think Gilbert gets a pass and stays at least until next deadline. Comre got two more goals, wonder if he will get re-signed, I know he is settling into the Edmonton area and has 11 goals while missing a lot of time. Potulny’s shootout goal was a beauty and Horcoff got lucky, but hes had a lot of luck in the Shoot out this season and it was nice to see him score one. Fun fact of the day, The Oilers broke their 10 game road losing streak with the win, their last road win was in LA in the Shootout. Hopefully they finish strong and beat the Ducks tomorrow.

DD had a really rough patch early when we stared to use him. However now that he has a knack for the NHL game he has gotten A LOT better. JDD hasn’t been great, but also hasn’t sucked and has showen flashes of possibly being an NHL goalie at times. I think that the Oilers should sign JDD this offseason. Also approach DD about maybe playing one more season in the AHL and sign both to 1 year deals, with DD getting a 2-way deal. Odds are that doesn’t happen so I say sign JDD and trade DD at draft day and try to get a pick or possibly a prospect. Remember we still have Oilver Roy to develop and Khabibulin coming back.

NorwegianOiler: I replied to Korolynth in that thread…and I think it is just a speculative, un-founded fantasy. Korolynth’s theory emerges from a lack of interest in facts, it is not based on them, as he – almost – makes it appear.First of all, there is a mathematical approach. The bottom 5 teams are, by percentage, this likely to win the 1st overall pick:30th: 48,2%29th: 18,8%28th: 14,2%27th: 10,7%26th: 8,1%So, looking at the stats for the years in question, keeping in mind that your hypothesis (seems to me to be…) is that the NHL rigs the first overall to be given to teams that “need it” (due to managerial problems, financial trouble and general disarray). When presented with such explanations, I always ask myself, “what are the alternatives involved”? Is there any way to look at it that does NOT involve a team with problems getting the pick? I especially consider the chance of a recurring fallacy in which it is assumed that correlation does imply causation. 2003/4 (for the 2004 draft) (You did not include this one, but I’ll tag it along either way…)Washington Capitals win first overall with 14,2% chance of doing so. This year Pittsburgh finished last, behind Chicago and Washington. None of the teams were in particularly good shape (which I see as your main explanation for the alleged rigged lotteries) Actually, the Penguins were dead last in attendance, with a meagre average of 11, 877. Chicago had a 13,253 average for 27th in the NHL, and the Caps were 25th with 14,720. According to your theory, it would have made more sense to ‘give’ the pick to either of the other teams over Washington in this season. Source: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2004Lockout year (for the 2005 draft) Korolynth: “2005…Pittsburgh was in dire need of a new building. Add in all of their financial trouble, it makes perfect sense that the NHL would send the next “Gretzky” to Pittsburgh.”A special system was implemented for the draft in 2005 due to having no regular season to base the draft lottery on. The system was devised from the amount of playoff appearances and first overall draft picks in the past 3 years, leaving Buffalo, Columbus, New York Rangers and Pittsburgh with the highest chance of winning the first overall. I do recognise that this improvised system is vulnerable to criticism for the way in which it was formed – and it is clear that the chance of Pittsburgh winning was much less than them NOT winning (which is still the case in the current system, as the 30th team has less than a 50% chance of winning the 1st overall). However, it was not at all unlikely for Pittsburgh to win by pure mathematical chance. 2005 draft Korolynth: “St.Louis was also going through ownership and management changes. Plus being an American Franchise helped.”St. Louis finished dead last in this year, before Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington and Boston. St. Louis wins the pick, which is the second most likely alternative between the teams (though them NOT winning is technically more likely in itself…) Again, you disregard the pure mathematical chance to include your theories instead. The last part of your statement makes no sense, as ALL the teams that could win the first overall were American. In addition, all bottom 3 teams were again (naturally so, being a losing side) among the bottom 5 in attendance (meaning financial burdens)- but the addition of Crosby had propelled the Penguins a bit up (20th) while the hard-core fans in Boston made them 18th in average attendance…2007 draft: Korolynth: “Bill Wirtz died mid season in Chicago. Again..enter ownership and management changes…Chicago got a nice present from the NHL.”This is the mathematical anomaly of the bunch, as Chicago was the 26th overall team. Then again, they were in no more problems than for example Phoenix, who were 29th overall. 2007 admittedly fits your theory, but it does not hold water over other, purely mathematical and logical explanations. 2008 draft: Korolynth: “Tampa is in the process of being sold….guess who gets the pick???…the team with the ownership issues.”As expected from the standings, the last team wins the first overall – Tampa finished below the Kings, Thrashers, Blues and Islanders. All of which were in trouble some way or another, but the team with most chance to win, does. It’s not like the Thrashers or Islanders were stable teams in terms of ownership either…2009 draft: Korolynth: “The Islanders are lobbying for a new building and Wang did threaten to sell the Islanders at some point during the season. See where this is heading?” And the purely mathematical pattern repeats itself: the bottom team wins the lottery. (The Islanders finished last, behind Tampa, Colorado, Atlanta and LA). Not only that, from your argumentation of ‘giving out picks to the team with most trouble’ the NHL must surely have been ice-cold to wait until this year to ‘award’ the Isles the first overall – considering that NYI had been bottom 5 in attendance since 2004 (dead last in 3 of them). Then again, they haven’t been eligible for the draft lottery in more than once outside being dead last and winning (they were 26th in 08). 2010 draft:Korolynth: “The NHL really only has two choices…send the pick to Boston or Florida. This could go either way, but there is no way Edmonton is going to win given the lottery’s history of going to American teams with ownership/building issues. The safe money is on the Toronto pick that Boston holds, but they might do Florida a favor to boost attendance there too.” Just to reiterate, your repeated allegations of the NHL favouring American teams is a red light for me, as it indicates that your basing your theory on other things than objective observation. In fact, the only year where a non-American team was eligible to win the lottery (in 2005, with its improvised draft) Montreal was drawn to draft 5th overall (Price). In all the other years, including 2004, there was a total of no Canadian teams in the bottom 5, which means, not surprisingly a 0% chance of a Canadian team winning the lottery. All in all, there is nothing to say that Edmonton WILL win the lottery, after all the chance is less than 50% (as mentioned), but the relative chance of Edmonton winning over other teams, regardless of financial position, is still the best. So, simply from looking at the drafts in question, we find that the majority of the teams that finish last actually land the first overall. Not much of a conspiracy there, considering the mathematics of it. In addition, it is not at all surprising that a team with a poor record (finishing bottom 5) is also a team with so-and-so management, thus finanically troubled – which is also reflected in the attendance averages of bottom-dwellers. I am sure your theory will gain much momentum if the Oilers are to lose, but it will in all likelyhood be explained by other things than a rigged lottery.

Very good points, I hope you are right cause I want Hall!!!

Wow, just checked the boxscore. 52 saves and a W for Devan = 2nd star of the game in LA…

24. Horpensky says:

DD with 52 saves… is that a record for this season?

chucker:
    The lottery will be stressfull.I really hope we control who we pick and win the lottery.I believe it would make trading up for an additional pick a lot easier.@ NO, I was going to reply to that too but you took care of it nicely.By his own “logic” one could argue that Edmonton is looking for a new rink, is a team in crisis and therefore the lottery will be rigged for us.Honestly, these conspiracy guys are just silly.

I should mail him a Putting On The Foil tin foil hat.