Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 3

By , April 6, 2010 9:22 am

Game 3 was a 5-0 win for Windsor in the playoff series between the Windsor Spitfires and the Plymouth Whalers. The Whalers now have a comfortable 3-0 lead, in the best of 7 series.

Taylor Hall had 2A tonight and was a +2, Tyler Seguin had 0 pts and was -1 on the night, and Cam Fowler had 1 assist and was even.

Draft Watch
Name G A PTS +/-
Taylor Hall 3 3 6 +5
Tyler Seguin 0 0 0 -6
Cam Fowler 0 2 2 -1

31 Responses to “Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 3”

Yes, he plays with better players.. but interesting how Hall is currently a 2PPG player in the series, and Seguin has been held pointless. I’m not sure what to make of that, given he doesn’t have the benefit of good players around him. And while I don’t like stat reading, if a guy can’t produce, it doesn’t look good to me. But hey, its a 7 game series, and I’m certainly not basing his draft-worthiness on a 7-game series anyways.

you should put up the entire o, w and q playoff stats…or i could with my mms i suppose…which i guess i should start working on

i heard kadri is just killing it this year

4. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: I still think Hall is better, We need this guy! Seguin doesn’t seem to be able to do it himself.

I am with you on Hall but in Seguin’s defense I do not think it’s fair to expect any player in any organization to do it all on his own.

I want Hall myself for pure entertainment value because I love the Cam Neely/Mark Messier type’s that bulldoze their way to the sweet spots and do not care what stands in their way. That’s what I see in Hall !!!

Anyone considering going to the Draft? It’s in LA on my birthday(25th of June) and I think that it would be a really cool experience. I am just hoping that my Pardon comes through in time(fingers crossed) because right now tt is looking iffy but if it does go through in time then I am there for sure!!!

Metal if I could fly out there I would go, instead I’m saving up to go to NYC next year for the Oilers @ Rangers game. Hoping the draft comes to Boston soon.

Anyone see Hall get just hammered cutting into the center last game?

Not sure of the D-man’s name but just destroyed Hall cutting across the blue line.

@ Steve-O, no I didn’t see the hit. They only show the score on NHL network, so I’m relying on you guys for all the stats and stuff on the series.

8. MetalOil says:

Seguin is now Ranked #1 by CSS.

Holy shit, that’s a shock. All the talk has been on Hall lately.

I didn’t realize it, but ISS’s rankings from a few weeks ago also had Seguin at #1. Interesting.

11. MetalOil says:

Yeah but It will not change a damn thing when it comes to who will be picked 1st overall.

BTW Nino is now ranked 12th.

Yah for sure the Oil will go with who they feel is best.

Where did CSS have Nino last ranking?

13. MetalOil says:

Nino was ranked 14th at the mid term rankings.

ISS had nino at 8, or something like that

15. MetalOil says:

I think Nino is the true wild card of the first round. I see him going anywhere from 5th to say 15th overall.

16. MetalOil says:

I wonder if the Oilers will be targeting Jordan Eberle’s Regina Pats teammate Jordan Weal with their 2nd round pick (31st overall) Weal made the biggest jump in the CSS rankings(45th – 30th) but is another small player (5-9 1/2, 162 pounds). ‘

“Jordan certainly played himself up into that position after the question marks we had beside his name at midterm,” McGuire said. “Because of his size (5-9 1/2, 162), we normally put a player in a lower position at midterm in the hope he’ll play himself into an even better position and Jordan didn’t disappoint. With any small player, you’ve got to be a high point-producer and he certainly was.”

So somehow Se3guin is ranked number 1 going into the draft. I still think Hall is better and I really hope the Oilers take him. Seguin wont be as good as Hall.

We have two 2nd’s this year, don’t we? isn’t that what we got for Grebs?

I wonder what player it would take packaged with our early second round pick to move up into the 8-12 range to get a Nino or Gudbranssen.

Also, I personally think that Seguin and Hall will eventually become pretty equal in their NHL impact comparisons, however, I think Hall will attain that status a bit faster than Seguin will, and I also think that I prefer Hall’s style of play better, a little more physical, a little more dynamic and exciting, probably a little more gifted goal scorer, but not quite as good all around.

I’m not making a direct comparison, because I don’t think either has the upside of Ovie/Crosby, but I think a similar correlation could be made to Seguin/Hall in the style of play they possess, Crosby being the less dynamic, bjut better all around, But Ovie being more exciting, and a bigger impact player with his hitting and goal scoring.

All I know is, I think I’d prefer Hall, but I wouldn’t be upset with Seguin.

20. NorwegianOiler says:

21. mrgod2u says:

Hall is the better choice as his playoff performance is showing (which would not be reflected in current standings). Nintendo-rider is not just a tourney jumper, he plays in the ‘dub and plays with heart. I would trade up 2nd round picks for him, but I doubt we’ll find a dance partner unless he is unpicked by 13-15, no-one higher than that really wants what we’d be selling.

NorwegianOiler: I prefer Hall too, simply due to his style. However, I have not seen nearly enough of either to make any more than an emotional guesstimate at this point…And, as for Niederreiter, I’ll just say, watch out for one-tourney (merely a few games) wonders…He’s got skills, but I think he’s being overrated due to overperforming a bit in the WJC. We’ll see how high he goes. He shouldn’t be anywhere near our first pick…

For sure the WJHC helped, but he showed size, speed, work ethic and skill. Outside of that, he’s put up some good numbers this year. I would be happy taking a chance on him given what he’s shown, but it is smart to not get too excited from only seeing him in a tourney… but I can say he really impressed me on a pretty non-stand-out team.

Hall is like Messier. Has a great shot, can score goals, a leader, hates to lose, has guts, grit and drives the net. Huge mistake if we don’t take him.

24. NorwegianOiler says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, the skillset Niederreiter brings is quite encouraging. I wouldn’t mind it if he dropped into our laps somehow, at the right price.

B.O.

even if you’re right, and he is that much better than Seguin, it really might not even be our choice, we still have greater statistical odds of getting the second pick.

Ever so slightly greater :P

Btw, I find it interesting that Fowler dropped a couple spots. I actually haven’t ever been sold on him. Admittedly, I don’t know enough about him, but the stuff I’ve read hasn’t sounded very promising.

Another “sleeper” pick is Brett Connolly. I quote the sleeper because CSS has him #3, but he was injured for the majority of the year. He had 30G at age 16. Not too shab!

Racki: Ever so slightly greater

hehe…yeah, shhh, I’m trying to not jinx it by thinking it is automatic for us!

gr8one: hehe…yeah, shhh, I’m trying to not jinx it by thinking it is automatic for us!

Well its automatic that we get a top 2 pick I believe because we had the worst record in the league. I really hope we get 1st pick and choose Hall.

Yeah, that’s my point, if we get the second pick, and Hall goes first, we “settle” for Seguin, which isn’t too shabby either.

A very interesting article on Hall/Seguin up at Coming Down the Pipe, it seems to be pretty speculative, but things too look out for nonetheless. (also included in the article of the hit that Hall got rawked on, for those that have not seen it.)

also, Bob MacK touched briefly on the subject of Seguin is #1 in the rankings despite having a poor playoff series.