Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 2

By , April 3, 2010 8:51 pm

Well, game 2 of the playoff series between the Windsor Spitfires and the Plymouth Whalers ended 5-3 for the Spitfires, tonight.

Taylor Hall had 1G and 1A tonight and was a +2, Tyler Seguin had 0 pts and was -2 on the night, and Cam Fowler also was pointless and was a -1.

Draft Watch
Name G A PTS +/-
Taylor Hall 3 1 4 +3
Tyler Seguin 0 0 0 -5
Cam Fowler 0 1 1 -1

11 Responses to “Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 2”

So yesterday was my last day at work at my part-time job (been there for almost five years) and I quit last summer too for the same reason because I got a job in construction. Anyways, the rumour mill was pumping out some old/recent stuff. I heard it from about six different people and two managers, something along the lines of this…

To Boston:
    Hemsky or Penner
    Souray
    Cogliano or Gagner

To Edmonton:
    1st Round Draft Pick
    Depth Guy

This is assuming that Toronto finish’s second last and by the sounds of what everyone was saying it’d be on draft day (because everyone was saying they’re aiming to draft Seguin + Hall).

To me there are a few red flags that stand out, especially on Boston’s side,

i) Cap Space
    This can be fixed but Edmonton would be offering… lets say roughly 12.000M in cap hit and Boston would maybe offer someone worth 1.500-2.500 tops so that would still be about 10.000M roughly that Boston would have to shed/trade away.

ii) Potential
    One of these two players has the potential to turn into a semi-elite player, Stamkos would be the most recent example. One or two seasons in and this guy has 40G. I’m not saying that Hall/Seguin may end up with this kind of production but I’d say at least a 20G within their first season. So unless Boston is looking for a quick fix then I’d doubt the players offered would add up to the potential.

iii) The Return (for Boston)
    This is assuming what’s happened in the past

Hemsky: Struggles to get 80pts each season and almost could be called a 20G scorer. This year looked like a big year for Hemsky and Penner both for that matter but just couldn’t stay healthy.

Penner: Big forward that is getting better on conditioning, could be a consistent 30-35G scorer per season.

Souray: Leadership qualities but has been hit by the injury train, in 37 games this year he’s racked up 13pts, not exactly a great season but if Boston is willing to gamble on him staying healthy then it wouldn’t be too bad.

Cogs or Gags: Thrown into the deep end extremely early in their pro careers. Cogs has had a little more time to develop and both have fallen victim to the injury bug in that they haven’t had too much veteran presence to help them develop. There is a definite upside to both of them but it may take a while/the right line mates to see their full potential.

In conclusion: We would be trading away proven NHL talent for future potential. I’m usually skeptic when it comes to draft potential but both Hall/Seguin are looking pretty darn good. If there would be anytime to trade away proven NHL talent for potential NHL talent this would be the time but I still can’t see a deal like this going through for both sides.

Anyways, what are your guys’ thoughts?

Anyways, Gagner gets very little credit here, because people seem to habitually forget that he is only 20. He shows the potential to be very good. Hemsky, well, what more can you say about him? He was on pace for a record season this year, and his injury has a lot to do with this team’s nose dive. Dustin Penner… doesn’t get the respect he deserves. He’s a very solid two-way player that makes players around him better. If he’s traded, it’ll have a pretty big, negative impact on the team. Souray… well, I like his leadership and all that he brings, but he’s the one guy that I could handle parting with, however.

Anyways, I wouldn’t do it. Too much for one potentially good player. On the flip side, would I give all of that for someone like Stamkos? Yes, I would… so it could be one thing that I look back on and think “damn, I wish we did that deal!”. I do think it would be tough to bring all these young guys into the league though. We’ve got too many young skill guys all vying for jobs. How about we hold off on that idea to trade for the top pick, for now?

Racki: I wouldn’t do it.. not interested in both of the top pics. I’m always a “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” kind of guy. We don’t want to be in rebuild mode forever either. We don’t need 18 star rookies here.

About your comment on the abundant star rookies Racki, last night on after hours Doan had an interesting interview. Basically said something along the lines of… we don’t really have a designated star in the locker room but when we all play really well we kind of all mesh together. I can’t remember the exact quote, obviously but basically he was stating that the team didn’t need a star to produce the season they’ve been having and that there are other ways to have a good season then having elite players. Now I’m not sure how well they will do in the playoffs but you never know.

From the games I’ve been to this season it looks like Gagner will turn out to be quite a leader one day. He may have struggled offensively but really, who hasn’t this season?

It looks as though Cogs has been a puppet controlled by the Oil Brass this season. It’s going to be relatively easy to sign him at a decent price. He has immense speed and great talent but it’s hard to score goals playing with a checking line or fourth line players.

Now one of the guys mentioned yesterday, who is a Nuck’s fan I may add, talked about how Vancouver traded up to pick the sisters. Part of me thinks that we could be drafting two number one picks (since the race is so close and the talent these kids have) but the other part of me thinks the quote you mentioned Racki, “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”.

Good point on the Sedin Sisters.

But yah, I think the better point is what Doan is saying. Sure, it would be awesome to stack a team of elite players, but really it takes more than that. We’ve got great potential already with Eberle, MPS, and Gagner… adding a guy like Hall should be enough to really cement our future. It would then be up to the GM to pull his head out of his ass and put some “glue” players on this team.

If we’re going to dump that package you mentioned above, I’d prefer to see it put towards an elite defensemen or goaltender, anyways. I think I’m happy with our forwards.

5. Oilersman says:

I’d be much happier like Racki stated with just 1 top pick… lines would look something like:

Penner-Hall/Seguin-Hemsky
    Eberle-Gagner-MPS
    Stone-Potunly-Brule

and from there on I have no idea, too many players that can take the 3rd-4th line role it’s ridiculous!

Defence will look like:

Souray Smid
    Gilbert Whitney
    Peckham Chorney (or whatever 2 you wanna throw in here, Arsene/Johnson (depending on signing) could very well be in the mix)

Khabi (If we don’t void/buyout contract)
    Insert goalie here… not sure who will stay if either do, I’m leaning towards DD since he is younger and better positioning. Yeah JD is outstanding and all, but he flops around a lot on the ice and is out of position quite a bit… Devan really stays square to the shooter… at the same time both let floaters in so…. *scratching head*

Well I don’t see why we would need to make any more trades with what we will have… focus on resigning what RFA’s and UFA’s we need and let the rest slide…

6. Trogdor says:

Aside from the New York Oilers, ask the Rangers how stacking a team with elite players has worked out for them.

7. Oilersman says:

This is how are future team is going to look next season… Moreau, Pisani, O Sullivan, perhaps Nilson could be getting the shaft…

Yeah, I gotta say that part of me likes the idea of having both picks…can you imagine if it turned out like the Malkin/Ovechkin draft and we had BOTH of them? highly unlikely as I don’t believe either players are projected to be that good, however even if they project to be like a Stamkos and Sharp it would still be very tempting.

That being said though, I agree with Racki that I think I’d rather stick with what Hemsky, Penner and Gagner, I’d be inclined to trade Cogs though in a package for a top 6 guy like Nathan Horton that brings some more size, not because I don’t like Cogs, but we gotta give to get, and I think he’s the most expendable with enough upside to still get a good return.

Anyways, there is another factor involved with my excitement for next year, and it’s that when we look at management the inclination is to think that they have their head up their asses, are out of touch with team needs, and slow to make decisions, but the more I think about things, the more I am tending to believe that this poor season may not have been “planned” per se, but that after the Heatley debacle they took a serious look in the mirror and finally realized this team will never be built via free agency until we can build some success via internal building, good management, but especially the draft. And so, I am inclined to think that by managements lack of addressing needs in the last off season, and failing to try and address other needs early in the season when we still had a chance, that this season although not intentional, was very much expected by management in the hopes of securing a top pick.

Now that is just my theory, and we won’t know if it was all part of a “master plan” or if management is just inept until sometime around next years training camp.

ok, so now that I’ve said all of that, I think we currently have a great core to build on, I think Hemsky is going to still have a big breakout year if he stays healthy, and with the emergence of Penner, and hopefully Gagner and the addition of our first pick, a lot of the presuure on Hemsky to be “the guy” will be gone, and I think this will help him even more.

And with that, a better Hemsky will make a better Gagner, a better Penner, and a better overall team.

Add in Eberle and MPS, who if they meet expectations in a year or three imho project to be like Parise and Forsberg lite, all we would need is, as Racki put it so well is some “glue” in the form of some good role players, and a good culture change, and we’re set.

whew…that was long.

I’m OK with giving JDD and Dubnyk more time to develop, but I wouldn’t have a problem seeing either sent packing either. Its not our biggest weakness, but it wouldn’t hurt to bolster that area with a young up and comer. But we do have Olivier Roy in the wings… he may pan out. And of course, JDD and/or Doobie may as well.

Defense is still, in my mind, our biggest issue. But it improved a bit with Whitney (oddly enough), and once everyone is healthy again, it may deserve a new look.

I’ve been solid on Hall since day one and continue to stay solid on him. He is excelling right now.

11. MetalOil says:

At least we now know that Hall can take a hit. If you missed it he got leveled by a Plymouth player(Clean Hit) and looked a bit shaken up(Just winded I think) Still in the game and has an assist as Windsor leads 1-0.