Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 1

By , April 1, 2010 7:32 pm

For those unaware, the Windsor Spitfires are in a playoff series with the Plymouth Whalers. Windsor has two of the top 3 2010 NHL Entry Draft prospects in Taylor Hall and Cam Fowler. Plymouth has Tyler Seguin.

The Spitfires took game 1 by a score of 5-1. Hall had 2G and was +1, Fowler had 1A and was even, and Seguin had 0 points and was -3. Chalk up game 1 to Hall so far, at least as far as points concerned.

Anyone have the pleasure of catching this game?

Draft Watch
NameGAPTS+/-
Taylor Hall 2 0 2 +1
Tyler Seguin 0 0 0 -3
Cam Fowler 0 1 1 0

36 Responses to “Draft Watch: Hall vs. Seguin – Game 1”

1. MetalOil says:

Oh nice. The last score that I had seen was 3-1 for Windsor and both players had been held of the score sheet at that point.
    I have been flip flopping on which player the Oil should select(if we have that luxury) but lately I have been thinking Hall. ESPN has even said that how close the two player are has been overblown and have Hall as the number 1 in their mock draft. For me whoever out preforms the other in this series will win my vote.

BTW you have Seguin with an assist in your table there :)

IMHO I think basing the decision solely on this series could be a mistake, Hall has a much better supporting cast, so the potential for his performance to be padded is higher.

All I know is it will be a very tough decision, but one that ultimately might not really matter as both of them will likely be exceptional NHL’ers.

3. MetalOil says:

Not gonna base it solely on this series but if one vastly out preforms the other then it may just be the final tipping point.

4. MetalOil says:

just read a damn good summary of the game from the OMB.
    Not sure how much to trust but it seems legit.

Oh woops, Thanks MO.. and yah, for sure, can’t judge the two players by one series, of course.

6. Oilersman says:

Great to see Hall take the jump in the series but from what I heard Seguin looks better… his line mates couldn’t make a pass if their lives depended on it, and it sounded like he was creating great plays but no one could put the biscuit in the basket… I alone don’t think you can base who will be number 1/2 on this series alone, it has to do with the players entire career up to now does it not?

Some teams also have more heart than others, right now Hall has the definite upside, but don’t be surprised if the Oil draft Seguin… I mean with a guy like Hemsky giving him tape to tape passes, things could get pretty interesting… *evil grin*

Racki: Ya, don’t take this thread wrong.. this isn’t meant to state that the guy that wins the scoring race in this series is who should be drafted. Not at all. It’s just good to be able to watch these guys go toe-to-toe Ovi vs. Crosby style. When those two face each other, the winner of the game doesn’t indicate who is the better player either, but it’s fun to watch them go at it and fun to stat watch.

It’s funny you mention that Racki, the Crosby vs. Ovi show because at this point I really don’t think that Ovi can catch up to Crosby. Sure he may win the Cup this year, who knows but I don’t think he’ll ever attain the status of an Olympic Gold Medal overtime hero.

The rivalry will always be there for those two, especially with their two different types of personalities/playing styles but I think Crosby has leaps in bounds of hardware over Ovi at this point.

It may be quite a few draft generations until we have another Crosby/Ovi rivalry but it will still be entertaining for Oilers fans to watch this series.

Draft Tyler Seguin!

I wouldn’t be so sure to count out Ovechkin from winning Olympic gold, I truly think their poor showing in Vancouver was an anomaly, and they will not only likely be favorites again in ’14 but they will also have home ice and be very very motivated to duplicate winning on home ice like Canada just did.

Yah for sure, of course that’s if the NHL allows the players to go there (or if the Russian NHLers ignore the NHL’s rule). I think and thought the Russians should have gone with Bryzgalov earlier on. I think he’s a fairly underrated goaltender, and at times I wonder about Nabby. Having him in the hockey pool, I wonder about his issues with consistency.

Racki: Yah, I wouldn’t call Crosby a definitive better player though because of the extra hardware. It’s a team game, of course, so having those great players to surround you with helps. Ovechkin had to wait a bit longer to have those great players to play with in Washington. They’re obviously both great in their own right. If I had to choose one, I’d pick Ovechkin. But really you’d be equally happy with either guy on your team.

Maybe hardware wasn’t the best word to use there, achievements may have been better in place of hardware. I just mean, Crosby’s career so far has been pretty much storybook. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Ovi but what are the chances OV can win it for team Russia in overtime, at home, in the gold medal game against their greatest rivals (country wise)? He may be able to in 2014 but still, I’d say at this point Crosby has had more achievements (Gold Medal OT wining goal + Stanely cup + arguably being a keystone in bringing the hockey market back to Pit).

13. Sheik says:

I saw the game on Thursday and several others this year. Taylor Hall is the cream of the crop. He creates on his own and he is a wicked playmaker. His motor is unbelieveable, he wants the puck in big situations and he competes harder than anybody else on the ice. Tyler Seguin is slick but Taylor is dynamic and he will sell tickets.

Nice…. thanks for that info Sheik. Feel free to keep us updated on how he’s playing throughout the playoffs!

15. Sheik says:

I will be at the game on Monday Racki and I will let you know how the game went and how Seguin and Hall looked.

16. Sheik says:

Yet another dominating performance by Taylor Hall Racki. One minute and twenty some seconds into the game he flew down the wing and at full speed feathered a perfect saucer pass over two defenders sticks and right onto the tape of Dale Mitchell. One nothing spits. He got smoked on a curl and drag and had the wind knocked out of him but he was right out there the next shift driving the net. I’m not kidding you Racki this kid is sometimg extra special. He never dissapoints, that’s the amazing thing about this kid. He brings it every shift, every period, every game. He is the ticket. Everybody comes to see him. If you put him and Jordan Eberle on the same team that would be exciting to put it mildly. Tyler Seguin on the other hand has looked terrible. He’s not fighting through any checks and his body language is terrible out there. He’s pouting up a storm. He’s a total nonfactor in this series. Plymouth is cooked, the goalie lost it and started throwing punches and got kicked as Did their coach. Taylor Hall by a mile Racki. Rock on.

Sheik: Tyler Seguin on the other hand has looked terrible.

What I would like to know is has he looked terrible because the other team can focus on him as he’s the only player they have?

18. Sheik says:

I’ve been watching that Steve-O to see if it is tight checking or no help from his teammates and I’m sure that is playing a part in it. They’ve got Kassian, Nemisz and Timmins against him, that’s two first rounders and timmons is signed by Florida but Seguin just isn’t fighting through any contact and he seems to be very easily stopped one on one. Their whole team seems very frustrated but honestly he’s been downright terrible in this series. I’m not saying that he sucks or that he won’t be a good pro but he is just isn’t showing much in this series.

Maybe he’s trying to prevent being drafted by the Oilers.. :lol:

20. Sheik says:

Honestly Racki if you bring Taylor Hall along with Eberle into Edmonton your fortunes will change. All of a sudden they would be in feature games on TSN on a regular basis. Just a side note but I wished Team Canada would have played Hall and Eberle on the same line in the World Junior tournament. Taylor Hall opens up room and Attracts attention. Eberle could finish alot of what hall starts.

21. MetalOil says:

Racki: Maybe he’s trying to prevent being drafted by the Oilers..

That would make Tamby want to draft him even more :) Maybe Steve can arrange a flight to Tyler’s summer home to convince him to be an Oiler!!!

BTW CSS final rankings come out tomorrow!!!

Interesting.. I’m pretty sure it will be Hall, Seguin, Fowler.. but I’m just curious where my other fave in Niederreiter will fall now.

And Sheik, it was nice seeing them on the PP together, but yah, would have been great to see them at ES together too.

Btw, next Tuesday (13th), the lottery pick is decided… ooooohhhh. That will be an exciting day. 48.2% chance! Btw, the last overall team has drafted 1st in 50% of the draft years since the lottery was introduced (excludes the Crosby sweepstakes, of course). Pretty much bang on.

Sadly, there is a slightly better chance we’ll be drafting second. I like Seguin and all, but I REALLY like Hall better so far from what I’ve been hearing. I wonder if the Oil will try to swap with Boston if they don’t get their way.

23. Sheik says:

Yeah Racki I really didn’t like the line Hall was on at the world juniors with Nazim Kadri. They both are similar in that they both like to bring the puck up ice and into the offence and then create from there. I constantly thought while watching that those two should have been on seperate lines. Just a couple of comments on Fowler after watching about twenty games he has been in. Fowler is a very smooth skater and he makes very good decisions on the pp and coming out of his zone. He’s not overly physical but just very efficient with good positioning, good stick, always has his head up. Really similar skill set to Nick Lidstrom but not quite the cannon that Lidstrom has. Speaking of cannons Ryan Ellis has been ripping the top corners apart on the pp. Exciting time to be a Spitfires fan!

24. Sheik says:

I’m rooting for you guys Racki. I would absolutely love to see Hall go to the Oilers. I still can’t believe that the Leafs gave up two first round and one second for Kessel. I’m so glad that they can’t get Hall. He would look great in an Oilers uniform. I would be amazed if he did not go first overall. Niedereitter could be a dark horse in the mix with Seguin and Fowler. Gotta love the way he plays. He was a beast at the world juniors.

Yah, if you hang around here long enough, you’ll see a few of us are pretty high on Niederreiter too. And good to hear another person supporting the Oilers getting Hall. Are you a fan of another NHL team? If so, who? Or do you just follow Windsor, specifically?

I love Knight Rider too!

27. Sheik says:

I’m a wings fan Racki, my dad was always a fan and he used to go see them when they played at the Olympia when Gordie Howe was the man. They even played briefly in Windsor before the Olympia was built. I have relatives in Edmonton and the oilers have always been a close second. If the oilers played everybody else liked they played the wings this year we wouldn’t be talking about the lottery. I would love to see the oilers back on top again. Basically I just want Oiler nation to know that Taylor Hall is definately a franchise player and I hope you get him. I take it you guys don’t think too highly of Tambellini?

28. MetalOil says:

I think that we are starting to warm to Tambellini. The Lubes-Whitney trade along with the clearing of cap space at the deadline looks to be a good start in the rebuild. He did stand pat with the roster for a bit longer then many of us Oil fans wanted but he was handcuffed with a bunch of the contracts his predecessor handed out. This summer will go a long way in our assessment of his GM skills.

Yeah, I think M&O nailed his assessment of what the average knowledgeable Oiler fan feels about Tambi, especially the part about this summer being the time most are reserving our true judgement for.

Living in Windsor how could you NOT be a wings fan, what’s the alternative, the Leafs? lol

I find of all the fans out there Wings fans are always some of the best, always very knowledgeable and proud, but not in an obnoxious way.

anyways, good to have you here Sheik, and thanks for the updates on the series, I’ve really enjoyed hearing about your first hand experience watching it.

Tambellini spent too much time last off season chasing rainbows. That’s why I don’t really like him. But he redeemed himself a LITTLE at the deadline. The Whitney trade was good (surprisingly) as was trading an aging Staios for a 3rd + Johnson.. very good deal (and I’m a fan of Staios). But even a blind squirrel gets a nut, now and then, so I’m still not completely sold. But it looks like at least he figured it out at the deadline and handled it well. But the off-season at the start of the year? Clueless.

Let’s not pull punches here.. he IS the guy that begged Heatley to come here at the start of the season and ignored other issues.

31. Sheik says:

Yeah gr8one living in Windsor it’s Wings against Leafs and I think the biggest reason I don’t like the Leafs is because of alot of their fans are obnoxious and very bitter. If they did ever win anything it would be unbearable. Most hockey fans can talk hockey right across the board but alot of Leaf a around here think that Toronto is the only team in the league. Every year the parade is planned in September and by Christmas time they are all pretty quiet.

32. Sheik says:

I can’t believe that Seguin is rated no.1 in central scoutings final ratings. I know that because he is a centre that some teams might think that they are harder to come by than wingers but I was pretty surprised that Hall finished second. I was also wondering how Gagner has played for you guys? I watched Windsor and London games and he was a skillful guy but does he go to the tough areas to score?

33. MetalOil says:

I think the reasoning for Seguin being rated number 1 is this:
    He is one developmental year behind hall yet producing at the same rate(with the exception of the head to head playoff series) thus has more room to grow then Hall. Add in the fact that Seguin is playing on a less stacked team and and it is not that big of a shock that he is rated ahead of Hall. How I wish that both these players were in their same development years, it would make the picture clearer.

I think that Hall is the safer pick due to a number of factors(Size and consistency) & that Seguin is a riskier pick (unknown potential & being outperformed by Hall in the OHL playoffs). At this point I would lean to Hall because he is more NHL ready and we(the Oilers) are not really in a position to take a risk. The Bruins on the other hand(should they pick 1st or 2nd) have this luxury being in playoff contention and being able to be more patient. If the Bruins and Oil pick 1 & 2 then I think no matter who picks first that the Oil will get Hall and the Bruins get Seguin.

Just my opinion on things.

34. Sheik says:

Great Insight Metaloil, I think that being one developmental year behind does make it more of a projection issue for Seguin and that’s where scouts knowledge comes more into play. Thanks for letting me be a part of this thread oiler nation, you guys really know your hockey and it’s great to talk hockey with such knowledgeable fans. I have enjoyed it. I’ll be going to the next spitfires series, either London or Kitchener and I’ll keep you guys up to date on how Hall is doing. Long live hockey!

Hey Sheik, no problem at all, good to have some insight from someone in Windsor. So it’s definitely great to have your thoughts on Hall/Seguin, since you can see one of them first hand.

36. Sheik says:

Congratulations, I could hear the cheer from Windsor. Tambellini would not tip his hand as to whether it is Hall or Seguin. TSN has Hall as number one on their list and in my mind I really believe it will be Taylor Hall. The Spitfires play Kitchener starting Thursday, if there is interest I can give you guys, and maybe some gals, updates on how he does each home game.