Damn I hate these moments…

By , April 8, 2010 10:02 am
This has nothing to do with this article, but it made me laugh..

This has nothing to do with this article, but it made me laugh..

That would be admitting I was wrong about a player. Well, partially. I was wrong in wanting to see Tom Gilbert traded because he was playing piss poor in the defensive zone. But he’s won me over again lately (mostly due to elevating the part of his game I already liked).

Those of you that have followed what I say long enough know that I was a big Tom Gilbert fan in his first year, and we had a bit of a falling out in recent times (hah). That has had a lot to do with his defensive play in the past, more so than his offensive play. I’ve always felt like he’s been solid in the offensive zone. I still am a bit unsure about his defensive and physical abilities. However, it would appear that Whitney balances that load quite well. Lately I’ve seen Gilbert playing more of a 4th forward role, and making some pretty gorgeous breakout passes. I think his elevated play has a lot to do with confidence – confidence which came in playing with a solid defensive partner. That is something that didn’t exist much before, especially when paired with Grebeshkov.

Anyways, Steve-O will be in his glory over this post, and will be full of “I told you so’s” as he has been advocating patience with Gilbert for 2 years now. Good on you for appearing to get that one right. But really, I think there are parallels between Gilbert and Penner. Both were in the doghouse with many people the past couple of years. They showed the potential to be good, but just weren’t getting it done. They got out of it by elevating their game back to where it should be. Anyways, the Edmonton Sun has a good article on the pairing of Whitney/Gilbert today, including some good bro-love shown by Whitney to Gilbert. Here is my favorite quote from the article:

I knew Tom was a good player, but he’s so smart with the puck. I’ve never seen a guy make so many good passes. I thought one of the strengths of my game was breakout passes, but that’s something he’s unbelievable at. He’s a guy that can have someone draped all over him and still be able to hit a guy at centre with a small spot to aim at. It helps create lot of odd-man rushes for us. He’s a very good NHL defenceman and I know it’s been a tough year for everyone around here, but I’m really looking forward to playing with him all year next year, he’s a really good player.

Now if you’re right about Nilsson and Pouliot, Steve-O, I’ll eat crow. My question now though is, how expendible is Souray now that we have Whitney here? Would you hang on to Souray for a 2nd pairing? I’ve always liked the guy, but there is no arguing (at least right now) that Whitney and Gilbert deserve the top minutes.

44 Responses to “Damn I hate these moments…”

told you so

as for poo and nilsson, both are good for the role they belong in. Poo should be a good 3rd/4th line center that can chip in some offense, and nilsson is a good second line player who should get sheltered minutes against the other teams suckers…kinda like when him, cogs and gagner shined a couple years ago. But that also requires a coach who will line match and that doesn’t seem to be quinn’s style much to my dismay

oh, and souray should be gone. 5.5 is too much.

I have really mixed emotions about Souray, on one hand he makes a lot of money, and is kinda aging, and doesn’t necessarily fit into a team doing a re-build with youth.

But on the other hand, he’s only one injury plagued season removed from scoring 23g/53p and if he’s able to stay healthy and get those types of numbers I think is worth the money. Also, 33 isn’t THAT old, especially for a defenseman, he also brings much needed physicality, grit and great leadership. And no matter what, with that shot he will at the very least be one of the most dangerous D-men in the league on the PP.

Really, it depends on what we get for him…if we were able to obtain a good top 6 forward with size, or a high pick in a package deal, I’d be ok with that, but I can’t help but think the better move would be to bring him back, hope to hell he stays healthy and puts up some good numbers(which I think he will), and then deal him at the trade deadline next season for much higher value than he’s worth now.

4. MetalOil says:

Yeah I am eating crow on this one too. I had completly given up on the “Soft” play of Gilbert (last season and most of this) but give our GM lots of credit for finding a solution in Ryan Whitney. I think when most of us found out that Lubes had been traded to the Ducks for Whitney we had similar reactions to it. I was like “what the Fuck is this Steve Tambellini doing???? & we now have the worst D in the league but It did not take long for me and probably most of us to see the true potential that Gilbert and Whitney posses as our top defensive pairing going forward. The transformation of Gilbert happened almost overnight with the arrival of Whitney.

I agree on Souray. Whitney and Gilbert have pretty much surpassed anything that he and another d-man can bring, as far as I’m concerned, and they have many years ahead of them. Don’t get me wrong, I like Souray, but I think this new pairing makes him obsolete. That said though, I have been and still am a big proponent of acquiring a young up and coming d-man. Perhaps we have some assets that can bring that player in.

As for Pouliot, I was just saying last night that he’s good as long as he stays in that bottom six and earns cheap cash. But that’s about it. Nilsson… well, at $2M, he’s arguable… but I would rather see his roster spot used on some more gritty “glue” players. So, see ya later. And actually, the same could really be said about Pouliot too. I’d like to see our bottom six a bit tougher to play against.

6. MetalOil says:

If we can’t find a trade for Souray then maybe he qualifies as a player we could throw to the wolves on re-entry waivers. Someone would take him for half price.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Johnson? He’s been quietly sneaking a few points in too, although that’s not his forte. I’d like to see him in, and Strudwick out next year as our 7th d-man.

8. MetalOil says:

I like Johnson and he should come cheap. I like him paired with Peckham for the 3rd defensive unit next season. That was the pairing before Peckham got injured was it not?

I would give the 7th Dman spot to Chorney athough it might be a better Idea to sign a cheap vet Dman for that spot and give Chorney some more AHL seasoning next year.

I guess it turns out that Grebs really was that bad or at least that bad on this club when paired with Gilbert. He’s been excellent for sure since Whitney got here and was clearly lacking confidence. Good to see him doing well.

As for Pouliot, I really don’t mind him. He’s good at both ends and is a natural 3rd or fourth line centre who is the right price, age and talent level. He’s one of the easy decisions for me, but so was Brodziak.

As for Nilsson, I really don’t know. I think he’s dangled to try and move up in the draft, but part of me thinks him and O’Mark with a guy like Stone would be fun to watch as a line. All in all, I have to think Nilsson is tradebait.

10. MetalOil says:

^^^ I never understood why so many were not liking the Grebs trade to Nashville. He gave up more then he contributed and I think we got fair value in a mid 2nd round pick.

Racki, out of curiosity if they do get rid of Souray, who do you see as our second pairing?

Smid and someone else? Think Smid is ready for second D pairing responsibilities?

There are some very interesting UFA D’s out there as well, Volchenkov most notably, and he’s still pretty young, but probably too expensive and not really a good fit for what the Oilers are looking for, but another one I really like would be Shaone Morrison who I’m pretty sure is an UFA, and wouldn’t cost THAT much I don’t think.

anyways, yeah…I really like Johnson too, definitely as our 7th, maybe even as a 5-6 D-man, I hope they bring him back, and I would like them to lock Smid up for a few years at a fair price too.

something like,

Whitney-Gilbert
    Smid-Morrison
    Johnson-Chorney/Peckham?

12. Coach pb9617 says:

Gilbert was never piss poor in the zone, his partner was. Gilbert has held up against tough competition the last few years – no one else has.

13. Puritania says:

Personally I’d like to see

Whitney-Gilbert
    Volchenkov-Smid
    Peckham-Johnson

We might need a younger guy over Anton, but having him in our lineup has been a dream of mine for a while.

I also question whether Smid can play as well as he has this season with another young fellow. He might need a stud on his pairing another year before he takes that leap to being a stud himself.

Volchenkov is a pipe dream, but I would love to have him here.

And I do agree about Smid… he had great chemistry with Visnovsky, but the chemistry with other d-men hasn’t quite been the same. Ideally, he gets paired with an offensive d-man of some sort. I think in the future, it could be someone like Chorney or Petry. But that would be hard to see next year though, I would think, since those guys are young/inexperienced. But they could work in our future.

I’d say we should move Souray, and some of the other smallish assets (O’Sully, Nilsson, Cogliano, to name a few) and try to acquire another solid blue liner.

Failing that, I don’t have much problem keeping Souray. Always been a fan of his, but it would be hard to justify him staying here now given that he likely wouldn’t be our top guy anymore. Tough call.

15. mrgod2u says:

To me the Souray question comes down to 2 things.

1) Are we rebuilding next year or competing next year, 5.5 for a d-man is too much in a rebuild year. Unless we are counting on him to mentor our developing players.

2) Is the Souray we get back next year going to be the hard-nosed howitzer of yore, or “Giveaway McNevershoot” that we had this last season. ’cause only one of the 2 is worth anything.

My only concern about trading him in the offseason (which I am totally for) is getting our value for him. I doubt we will get anything better than “broken down defenseman” value, which will either be a steal for the other team (if he regains his form) or fair market value (if my fears prove valid). That hand surgery, paired with a concussion are 2 pretty major wild cards in terms of his future ability. I would rather someone else pay his salary if he never regains the form.

The way I’ve always stood on the money thing:

I’m not paying the bills. If Katz is happy enough to shell out the money, and having these players doesn’t prevent us from getting other players we’d like to have, what’s the big idea? So Souray at 5.5M shouldn’t be an issue unless we can’t pick someone else up. Of course that extends over the length of his contract though, which ends the following year. So you have to ask, in 2 years, will we need that cash?

This is my justification for Horcoff, who I feel has been looking a lot better lately. I don’t really think about how much he makes anymore because we probably aren’t a cap team anymore.

I do realize though that we have lots of contracts to re-sign at the end of the year though, so we’re not out of the woods yet.. but I’m just pointing out that Souray’s salary issue is a bit of a red herring to me. It’s not really a problem anymore.

Also, to add… I haven’t ever really felt that it was as black and white as “rebuilding” or “contending”. There definitely is an in between. Plus, i think we’d want to be fairly competitive (or try to be) while developing all these new assets who are due up. I don’t think we need another tank year, given what we have waiting in the wings.

18. mrgod2u says:

Well I guess it comes down to money on this vs. money on that. Sure it isn’t my money but if we are going for a deep playoff run we want talent (and keep him). If our intention is to give our prospects the ice time to develop then the money might be better spent on guys that can mentor and teach them. Plus having three $1.8 mill./season forwards on staff can give us the leeway to allow some more development time in the A for those that need it.

I also don’t think we need a tank year, but we may have another bad year as our young players continue to develop. Personally I see us having the same kind of years as the Avs are having. No pressure to perform and a new atmosphere in the room combining to give us a level of compete that no-one will expect (I expect a lot of commentator crow next year, and expect a lot of predictions putting the Oil at 15 in the west again)

To qualify my earlier post I think the question of whether Souray will be healthy is a bigger concern than what he will cost. I would love for him to be worth what we pay for him, much the same as I want nothing more than for Horcoff to earn his cheese.

19. David Staples says:

Souray has got to go for all kinds of reasons, including him asking to be traded out of town. What kind of a leader is that?

If they can move him, it will be a blessing for the Oil.

David are you sure that’s not reading between the lines a bit? Yah, granted, I might be a bit naive in my thinking, but his words were something along the lines of “I’d accept a trade”. We all know how reporters can spin things and ask the right questions to get the answer they want. At the same time though, when it came close to the deadline, his list of teams sure expanded pretty quickly to just something around 20 teams. So it’s probably more unrealistic to think he is excited about sticking around. I just am not sure he’s got his bags packed and ready to flee the city like past players have been.

I am very much more on board with trading Souray now though, but depending on what we get. I think this team is OK on offensive minded forwards, so I’d like to see them shore up the defense on this team (meaning defensive forwards… goaltending… defensemen). The Ribeiro for Souray idea Jim Matheson pitched is an example of a trade I don’t want to see.

I’m really happy with how well Gilbert & Whitney complement each other, as opposed to how badly Gilbert & Grebs made me cringe. Not that I ever had a hate on for either, they just didn’t work as a pairing and I felt Grebs was going to want too much for what he had to offer so I’m fine with him gone. I think Gilbert & Whitney will be the cornerstone of our D.

I love Souray as a leader/player, I’m just not sure where he fits anymore and if he does fit anywhere he needs to stay healthy. I hold nothing against him for saying he would accept a trade because he did it in the context of what would be best for the team. He really wanted to make it work here and now I’m not so sure if it will so it might be best to move him. I don’t really care for Ribeiro in return though.

Anyone ‘eating crow’, if it tastes anything like pigeon it’s not that bad actually.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

I am continually being captivated by the non-sensical suggestions and rumours that emerge in both media and forum circles. I don’t mean to say that less-than-logical trades haven’t been made before, or won’t happen again, but where is the self-censorship here? Ribeiro? Apart from having held a higher standard point-wise than our forwards have the past few seasons, he brings nothing new (and isn’t “new” himself at 30) – but more soft/skill. Maybe it’s just me, and my reactions are more in fear that Tambellini might wake up one day and figure “Hey, let’s bring in someone who adds nothing but what our head coach already has stated we have enough of, just to get rid of someone”.

The salary world is one that seems to stress fans a great deal more than it stresses GMs, fortunately, because we always anticipate cap issues that rarely seem to materialize. Souray’s salary is not that much of a problem in itself. We should be looking to shed salary IN THE PROCESS of making our team better, not shifting sideways. Moving a group of players like O’Sullivan, Nilsson and/or a few others goes a much longer way in actually improving the team. Cap space, for all it’s worth is only ‘potential’, if we turn around and spend ‘saved’ salary on someone like Ribeiro we’re prolonging the rebuild rather than improving the roster…(and that’s not going into what BostonOiler touched on, Ribeiro’s dispicable tendency to feign injury, cheat and play a cowardly dirty game)

Keep Souray, unless an opportunity to truly get better through a trade arises. A top 4 of Souray-Smid-Gilbert-Whitney seems like a balanced one, where size, offensive and defensive skills are all present in acceptable amounts :D (Add to that, I’d like to see Johnson re-signed for less than 1M, he’s a solid #5-6 d-man for that money, plays with tenacity, has decent composure and can even pass with some accuracy. Let Chorney, Peckham, Petry, Plante battle for the last spot)

First or second overall, there’s a lot of pieces to be shifted into (or out of) place before this team will emerge as anything like Chicago, Pittsburgh or Washington…

23. MetalOil says:

I think the Souray situation is pretty simple. He plays for the Oilers next season and if he stays healthy and regains some of his strengths then we pitch him at the trade deadline to a contender. I do not think he is trying to Pronger his way out of here but does have a desire to play for a win now organization and if that is his wish then it is up to him to up his value.

Right now I do not see many teams that would be willing to spend 5.4 million for the next 2 years on a guy that is a question mark(health wise) this summer. Come deadline day this will change if he stays healthy and starts playing up to standards again with only 1 season(plus after the Deadline) remaining on his contract.

Great Post N.O. agreed on all that you say.

as for Souray “requesting a trade” I totally think that’s bunk,as Racki already politely pointed out. I do however have no doubt he was frustrated with this season, especially since he’s been one of the few vocal players that has had the balls the past couple of years to speak publicly about what this team lacks, and mostly to deaf ears.

Anyways, like a I said before, Souray is only one season removed from tying for the team scoring lead and put up 23/53 and has the wickedest cannon in the league, and has improved defensively. At the beginning of this season most fans were touting him as being pretty damned awesome.

It just seems to me that a lot are forgetting some of the dominant offensive and physical performances he had the season before last. And yeah, 33 is getting there, but it’s definitely not over the hill.

We’re not a salary cap team anymore, and

Gilbert-Whitney
    Smid-Souray
    Johnson-Chorney/Peckham/Petry/Plante

certainly doesn’t look too bad and i think actually has a pretty good balance of size, grit, offense, defense youth and experience.

Package some of our smurfs and/or one of our second picks for a top 6 forward with some size, and I think we’re ok going forward for next year.

25. John says:

Wicked site folks, keep up the good work!

I agree with the HUGE improvement in Gilby’s game since Whitney came to town, wether by accident or on purpose it looks good on Tambi!

Love Souray but if the team is re-building for real then Shelly has to go. In my mind skidding Smitty signaled the beginning of a re-build for sure, it just wasn’t followed up on quickly & properly afterwards :( Hopefully Tambi will continue unimpeded this summer (please Lowe?)

How much does Ribs make? Maybe a Horcoff for Ribs deal with a Souray added in for Robidas would work. Let’s face it; If you want to trade a bad contract, you need an idiot to take him, or a bad contract coming back and you may need to sweeten the pot too. All in all, we can trade Souray anywhere this summer as his NTC expires and I really doubt we’d have to move him for another anchor. He’s still attractive to lots of teams and isn’t really the albatross lots suggest he is.

For the deal with the NYR’s to fall through after a brutal season and them still wanting him, I have to think a two year healthy Souray is more attractive than the one who is only hear because he infected his wrist. Horcoff is the contract that will be nearly impossible to move. Souray is not all that out of place when you look around at some of the deals out there for D men and there seems to be on on every team. He can be moved fairly easily and with decent return. Just watch.

I’m posting this in two places since the Souray talk seems to be more prominent in this thread/post/topic.

I wouldn’t consider Souray a problem he’s just been severely unlucky in that he keeps getting these injuries. It all came down to the hit he took from Iggy in the first quarter of the season.

I’m not a big fan of the what if game but… Think about it, if the hit never happened, wouldn’t have suffered that concussion, then later in the season he wouldn’t try fighting Iginla because of the hit and then he wouldn’t have injured his hand + got the infection from that fight.

Souray was plagued this season, I don’t know what all this trade talk is about, he’s a leader in the team, there’s no question about it and if he can stay healthy he can usually produce. Souray’s a very intimidating opponent and tough to play against when he’s healthy plus we all know of his cannon of a shot.

If he can stay healthy I’d rather have Souray on our back end then a lot of the defensemen out there, the only thing that’s inflated is his cap hit but considering some of the defensemen’s salaries out there. It’s not too bad.

I’m taking the words right out of Chucker’s post, Souray isn’t really the albatross lots suggests he is.

First off, welcome to the site John, and thanks for the compliment.

Some great thoughts here, guys.

As for Horcoff, he’s looked better since the deadline, which is nice to see. I’m not in any rush to see him traded right now, although it definitely wouldn’t be that bad of a thing if we somehow do it without taking a big salary contract in return. But he’s been looking more his like his better form again.

Racki: First off, welcome to the site John, and thanks for the compliment.Some great thoughts here, guys.I also agree with the sentiment that Souray isn’t done yet. Personally I wouldn’t mind if he was traded for a good return, but I’d have no problem with him staying either.

30. John says:

Thanks for the welcome Racki!

People look at me like I’m nuts but I honestly feel that Horcs could have a come back year next season. Chances of moving him are about the same as Lowe getting fired so kick back, relax & hopefully he comes around! I feel the same about Sully too (having a comeback year)for that matter.

I would like to see a Souray for Horton type deal if Shelly is going to be moved anyway. I would suggest Marleau but I don’t see SJ wanting to take on that much cap.

Hey if Florida moves Horton for Souray, I’d be happy with that deal.

And I think Horc could have a bounceback year too. I don’t want to see him playing the top line anymore though. But he could make an impact on the 2nd or 3rd line both defensively and offensively.

Zack: In regards to faceoffs….

Brule 144/274 – 52.6
    Penner 200/419 – 47.7
    Potulny 381/800 – 47.6
    Gagner 336/709 – 47.4
    Horcoff 601/1287 – 46.7
    Pouliot 97/218 – 44.5
    Cogliano 163/378 – 43.1
    O’Sullivan 70/192 – 36.5

Maybe even something like Souray and Cogs for Horton and a second or third?

Penner Marleau Hemsky
    Hall Gagner Horton
    Eberle Horcoff Brule
    JFJ Pouliot Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
    Smid Morrison
    Johnson Boynton

anyways, that’s my pipe dream. lol

zackman35: That $10,000,000 checking line has been on fire lately! Hahaha jokes aside though, Horcoff’s contract is a long one and if we do move him somehow we’d better get a guy that can take a face-off, *oough*..Stoll..*cough*, seriously though who else can on this team. I haven’t looked at stats at all lately but no player is shouting number one center. Another bonus if we land Seguin but I don’t think it’d be the best idea throwing him in here as our starting center. Gagner maybe? As for goalies can you imagine another three headed monster? When Khabi returns next season because lets face it, come opening night he’ll be there given he’s healthy, I don’t know if I want to trade away our potential starting goalies just yet. JDD could make one hell of a back-up but I would hate to see Doobie just “given” away (knowing the goalie market these days).

This is a topic that I’ve seen on a few sites; i.e. The three headed goalie monster for next year.

With all the goalies that get sent up and down constantly and the real lack of anyone who would clear a roster spot for one of these guys, I don’t see any need for worry.

Yah, honestly, I’m not too worried, even if someone DID scoop up one of these guys. I’d not bother to trade Doobie or JDD, and instead attempt to send one of them to Oklahoma at the start of next year.

36. Horpensky says:

Horpensky: Gilbert and Whitney was like making gold by mixing shit and pee together. They’ve been absolutely outstanding, especially the terrible season Gilbert has had and all the horror stories you hear about Whitney being soft and lazy.

Who ever said there that alchemy doesn’t work. ;)

38. Puritania says:

chucker: Who ever said there that alchemy doesn’t work.

Puritania: After some lengthy research in my shitter I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make gold by mixing my shit and piss.

But can you make Gilbert and Whitney?

40. John says:

gr8one: Yeah, I would love a Souray for Horton deal, but I think due to the fact Souray is 33 and Horton is 24 we’d have to sweeten the pot, which I’d still consider depending on what the sweetener was.Maybe even something like Souray and Cogs for Horton and a second or third?And John, since you brought up Marleau, I just wanted to point out that he’s actually an UFA come July 1, so if San Jose were to trade him, it would only be for his negotiating rights.That being said, in my pipe dream fantasy mind, I have considered things a scenario where the Oilers try and forego a rebuild altogether and Trade for Horton for what I described above and sign Marleu, which would give us something like…Penner Marleau HemskyHall Gagner HortonEberle Horcoff BruleJFJ Pouliot Stortiniand grab a couple of UFA D men like a mid range priced Shaone Morrison and and an inexpensive Nick Boynton would give us something like…Whitney GilbertSmid MorrisonJohnson Boyntonto me that looks like pretty damned good team that could do some serious damage, the top 2 lines are wicked, and the third line would make an awesome energy line that scores a lot, and well the 4th what it is…Moreau, O’Sully, Nilsson would be gone via trade either for D men instead of UFA’s like a I said about or picks/prospectsWe’d still have some great players in OK too like Omark, Potulny, Stone, Jones and all of our young D getting an extra season of development playing for what is actually a decent team down there.anyways, that’s my pipe dream. lol

I didn’t realise that Marleau was a UFA so ya, the Oil could probably get away with trading one of this years picks for his negotiating rights & use Souray in a different move. Bouwmeester cost Calgary Leopold + a third rounder so the Oil would probably have to give up a second rd pick+ maybe a prospect for Patty’s negotiating rights. I think I could live with that!
    Centers could then be:

Marleau
    Horcoff
    Gagner
    Cogliano/Brule/Pouliot?

Looks pretty decent in my books, although I wouldn’t mind seeing Comrie in Oiler silks again next year I just don’t know if there’s room for him anymore!

Puritania:

haha, at least this thread has turned to pure gold!

chucker: I ask this in a serious way and no disrespect intended, but what team is going to be interested in the two AHL/marginal backup goalies from a 30th place team to the extent that they need to put them on their active roster if claimed off of waivers? Sorry, I just don’t see it being a concern.

Well you know the standard ‘world against the Oilers’ response will be that they will turn into the second coming of Patrick Roy once they are picked up.

Now that I’ve seen them both play, I don’t think anyone would pick up Doobie for their active roster so it’s probably safe to send him down at the beginning of the year. I think teams saw enough of JD’s compete level to think about it, knowing he did win games on his own (at least a couple anyway) and it’s his consistency he needs to work on the most – which isn’t as crucial in a backup role. So I can see the season starting with Doobie in the AHL and JD/Khabi with the Oilers. Based on his track record, when Khabi gets hurt would Doobie have to clear re-entry waivers? (not that it matters, I’m just curious and too lazy to research).

That said, both are RFA and JD is arbitration eligible, if it’s looking like they won’t be able to sign one of them, we could see an attempt at a draft day trade in a package or alone for a pick.

Pretty sure Doobie would have to clear re-entry waivers, but I don’t know 100% for sure. But at any rate, I think any of our 3 goaltenders would clear any form of waivers at this point. :P

44. Oilrsgrl77 says:

Love it!! Now all the Bilbert haters can stfu..LMAO. He has always had the talent, he just needed a bff to compliment him :p