And the winner is…Oilers!

By , April 13, 2010 6:01 pm

The Mona Lisa (as per the wordpress example)

Just a quick post that I will update as the lottery goes on, and for us to discuss the next 30 min.

So excited! (Not really)

6:06pm: In fact, I’m going to live blog this shit…feeling ambitious!

6:07pm: Its come at a good time because you’ve run the team into the ground buddy (Tambi talking about it coming at a good time)

6:07pm: Hey! A good GM (Howson cause we’ve gone to shit since)

6:08pm: Because Oiler fans have nothing better to do now, but sit in a bar and tweet to each other

6:11pm: JESUS! An elephant is climbing a tree!  I want to know who writes these commercials.

6:12pm: Already getting bored with this idea…

6:13pm: McKenzie says NHL scouts are still saying Hall as #1

6:14pm: Fowler still at #3, Connolly @ 5 even only playing 15ish games

6:15pm: Nintendo-dude at 7

6:16pm: Gundbranson sounds like a hell of a player @ 4

6:16pm: No Hall doesn’t want to go to Boston…stop putting dumb ideas into his head!

6:17pm: Oh hey! In a post below this there is talk of a keeper pool.  If interested let say so in the comments so we can get an idea of how many people would be interested.

6:19pm: Islanders @ 5

6:19pm: Jackets @ 4

6:20pm: Panthers @3

6:20pm: OILERS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

6:21pm: Bruins at 2 obviously.

6:22pm: He should talk smack about Souray while he has the national audience.

6:23pm: Oilers won so everyone else stays as is.

6:24pm: Hall is a flames fan?!  Second instantly.

6:25pm: And Seguin says all the right things…unlike Hall.  Seriously. Flames fan?

6:26pm: And as per MetalOil the Rangers won.  Ignore me.

6:26pm: Anyways, I’m done.  Luckily I didn’t jinx anything with the picture I chose.

30 Responses to “And the winner is…Oilers!”

1. Horpensky says:

If Isles win, I’ll RAGE. They’re not allowed to pick twice in a row!

Horpensky: If Isles win, I’ll RAGE. They’re not allowed to pick twice in a row!

That’ll be a piss off. But really when you look at Chicago and Pits, they won (or came close) almost 5 years in a row.

Hopefully we don’t do that.

3. MetalOil says:

I hope the Flames win and move up 4 spots for the Yotes while we keep the #1 pick.

4. MetalOil says:

YA BOYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

5. Oilersman says:

1st BABY WOOOOOOO

6. MetalOil says:

So the Ranger actually won the Lottery.

Were 1st!

8. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: So the Ranger actually won the Lottery.

MetalOil: So the Ranger actually won the Lottery.

NVM no team moved up.

As per Mirtle on twitter

mirtle

Chiarelli on having second overall pick: “I’ll be keeping this pick. If anything, I’ll try and move up.”

I’d do it in a heartbeat depending on what he’s offering.

10. MetalOil says:

LOL the guy gets the 2nd overall pick in a year that there is 2 #1 picks and he wants to move up. Pure Greed lol.

11. Horpensky says:

Not often your team is in the Playoffs and you get to sit at the Draft Lottery table.

12. MetalOil says:

We are on the clock!!!
    only 104401 minutes until we make the pick !!!

13. dawgtoy says:

Duh Hall is a Flames fan, he grew up there! Born in Kingston, raised in Calgary, his fondest memories are a backyard rink his father made while living in CALGARY.

FYI
    “Despite playing for the Windsor Spitfires in the Ontario Hockey League, Hall is a native Calgarian and only moved down east when he was 14 years old.

According to Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun, his father Steve was a defensive back for the Edmonton Eskimos, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Ottawa Rough Riders from 1983-1985.

Once Steve’s football career was over, he then moved to Calgary to be a part of the Canadian Bobsled program.

Hall played bantam hockey with the Northeast Canucks before moving to Ontario as a young teenager.”

C’mon Racki, i thought you knew everything!

14. Trogdor says:

On the one hand,
    “Hall has been awesome, so glad the management team made the right choice.”

and on the other,

Time will tell.

Trogdor: Well we know for sure who the first two picks are, we also know we’ll be closely scrutinized for the choice we make depending on how their respective careers go.On the one hand,
    “Hall has been awesome, so glad the management team made the right choice.”
    and on the other,
    “DAMN OIL!!! If they would have done a little more research, they would have picked Seguin!!!”Time will tell.

That’s exactly how it’s going to go, Trogdor. Especially in a Canadian market, the pressure will be on.

On another note, I think the Oilers may be leaning a little more on Seguin. For the main reason being the position he plays for. You’ve heard countless times that both the players are within the same caliber and it’s just the position that really divides them.

I think Edmonton will pick a true up and coming number one center. If that’s the case, that these two players can be chosen at the flip of a coin, per say. Although some are starting to sway one way because of the playoff performance by Hall or so it seems.

Either way I will be happy with either but I’m just imagining the top line of Penner – Seguin – Hemsky.

EDIT: I highly enjoyed the elephant climbing a tree commercial.

16. NorwegianOiler says:

Hall or Seguin?
    Tits or ass?

I’ll take Hall and Boobs, please. :lol:

Seriously though, I am still on the fence, but leaning a bit more towards Hall just because he was touted last year as a high pick even… actually, apparently he would have gone first (i.e. ahead of Tavares) if he were eligible last year. Seguin kind of came out of nowhere, and that troubles me a bit. I like to know that a player isn’t just having a fluke year. I really doubt Seguin is though, but I think Hall seems a little less of a risk (although he may be a risk for other reasons that are being speculated).

Gah… man, these guys are too close to compare. I’d be happy with either or. Actually, like Steve-O said, I’d be content in trading down, depending on what Chiarelli has to offer.

18. Oilersman says:

Hall has overcome what most players hope they never have to live through… he lost a very close team mate and friend about a year ago… mentally he lead his team through tough times, physically he dominates the game, visually he is very creative and gifted, for those who haven’t seen it should watch it here…

Well unlike Racki, I’m an ass man.

Plus this post by lowetide seems as thought thats the way they are leaning (he actually references a ON post, but I don’t go there).

Seguin is a center, scored 106 in his second season (Hall didn’t do it until his 3rd, although granted he had two seasons of 80 and 90 first)and is RIGHT HANDED SHOT (something we miss here at center, and rarer in general).

Yeah yeah, i know…I’m back on the Seguin wagon.

Oh, and I’ve heard a few times that Boston would like to swap picks…what if we swap, but in the process also get to switch the 31st pick with their 17ish pick? How would that sound?

Takes the decision away from us, and moves our second pick up about 14 spots.

I’d do it.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

NorwegianOiler: Well, apart from the non-sensical reason of “taking the decision away from us” (what lack of cojones does that show? that we’re afraid of ourselves? of the fans? bollocks it is) it’s not a bad idea to have another pick in the top 20. I’d just go with our first and see if we can’t move players for another 1st.(Btw, we have 3 centremen with a right shot – Gagner, Brule, Pouliot versus two lefties – Horcs and Cogliano. Granted, neither can carry us as well as Seguin likely can, at least in the future, but we do have more RH centers than most teams…)

Fair enough…it takes the non stop bullshit of having to listen to the fans bitch about making the right decision for years away from me.

I’d still do it.

And I stand corrected on the right handed center. I just recall having to see a lefty taking the draw in our end’s right circle (weak side) and missing Stoll because of it. Maybe its just the fact we can’t win a damn faceoff that bothers me (outside of Horcoff).

I had an awesome post that touched on all kinds of cool shit, but google chrome crashed, and now I need to kill google.

anyways, I’m not sure how I feel about swapping with Boston, other than if the Oilers were going to take Seguin no matter what, Boston almost certainly wants Hall since their pretty stacked at C.

I think I might be more interested with doing a trade with someone like Tampa, for the 6th overall pick, they already have Stamkos/Hedman to build around, they might be willing to give up their pick for some more immediate help, especially if we gave up one of our 2nds.

we could then get someone like Nino, that Joahnson kid ssounds like a pretty awesoem prospect especially since he’s a big bodied center man that TSN has ranked as the 2nd top C in the draft, or a franchise type D prospect like Gormley or Gudbranson if he falls a few spots.

btw, Eberle is also a right handed Center.

24. MetalOil says:

Btw, TSN did their own draft rankings and had Nino at #7

Norweigan Oiler/Steve-O:

I’m all for trading our picks as Steve-O suggested. Why? It has nothing to do with not wanting to buck up for picking the right guy (really, trading down to select the wrong guy could bite us in the ass as well too, right Pouliot?). It is just that I think both Seguin and Hall are phenomenal players, that appear to be of equal caliber. So why not get one of those guys, plus get another 1st rounder?

I’d really like to see the Oil then flip THAT pick and try and get in the top 10. What better way to improve our future than by drafting a top ranked d-man. It would be hard to do though.

Btw, in regards to Hall being a Flames fan….

“I hope Edmonton picks me, it would be a great place to play,” Hall said Tuesday.

I think he just is happy going wherever.

Edit: The quote above came from the Edmonton Sun. However, I’m seeing that quote also attributed to Tyler Seguin. LOL So god knows who said it. I thought Seguin said something like that last night on TSN though.

27. MetalOil says:

Yeah I am pretty sure that Iginla grew up a fan of the Oil but an entry level contract should give Hall millions of reasons to have a change of heart Just like it did for Iggy :)

Well the funny thing is, the Edmonton Sun quoted Taylor Hall with that quote, but the Toronto Sun quoted Tyler Seguin as saying it. hah!

Anyways, really, I hope the days of Lindros-esque douchebaggery are over. Play for the team that drafted you, and play with heart. You whine and moan about being drafted by a specific team, and you probably will have a real tough time in this league.

MetalOil: Yeah I am pretty sure that Iginla grew up a fan of the Oil but an entry level contract should give Hall millions of reasons to have a change of heart Just like it did for Iggy It was Hall who said that, not Seguin. Hall from another interview said his favorite player NHL player was Bobby Orr (hence the #4) and also would find it a real privilege to play for the Boston Bruins. Me being a paranoid Oiler fan( & for good reason) take that as a clue that he may not truly be happy to play in Edmonton but would suck it up and do so anyway.

Don’t say that last statement again….My heart cant be broken again like it was this summer lol

MetalOil: Btw, TSN did their own draft rankings and had Nino at #7

I think we can move Souray and a few draft picks and or one of our skill guys to get this pick. What do we have like 14 picks or something? Moving up should be doable.