Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…

By , March 3, 2010 9:04 am
Let's get it on!

Let's get it on!

Well, today is the final day to make any trades, as of 3PM EST (1PM MST). Will we see anything happen, or will it be a whole lot of smoke for nothing?

We figured we’d start up one place to gather all the day’s trades and rumors. We won’t be putting down every dinky little trade, but we’ll discuss some of the bigger ones, Oilers or not.

So far, we have for the Oilers:

Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd rounder. Denis’ debut was pretty memorable, earning a goal and an assist against his old team last night

Cody Wild to Boston for Matt Marquardt.

Let’s hope Tambellini isn’t done. There is talk of interest in Staios (Washington I think it was) as well as Moreau and Pisani. Pisani got hit pretty hard last night into the end boards, so I’m hoping that he wasn’t hurt at all (anyone?).

Let the games begin! (er.. resume)

Btw, you can monitor the deals on TSN and discuss them in this thread.

There’s already been a few small deals so far.

Oilers deal tracker:
Oilers claim Ryan Jones off waivers from NAS.
Oilers trade Lubomir Visnovsky (nooo) to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney (hooray!) and 6th Round Pick
Oilers trade Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and 3rd Round Pick.

120 Responses to “Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…”

MetalOil:

Dan Tencer just said he doesn’t think the oilers are done.

2. MetalOil says:

Ok, heres a little break down…

Ryan Whitney is less money, bigger, younger, hits more than vish

Vish gets more goals, points, assists and has more heart.’

I will say this though, Whitney scored 56 points a few season back, was great in Pittsburgh then went to the Ducks and did nothing. Hopefully he gets his old style back. I still think we were sexual assulted by the ducks though.

MetalOil: We might as well trade Hemsky now then. Get a mid 1st rounder for him. Probably happen at the draft since he is out for the year.

Christ no, we need someone exciting to watch here!

I wonder if a Souray trade will ever happen then….

5. Trogdor says:

Just making room on the roster to bring Jaomir in… Bring us right back up to cap in no time!

Visnovsky played the right side (his comfortable side). Whitney is a left-hand shot… did we just lose another elusive RHD?

I’m starting to like it a little more as i continue to think about it.

8. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler:
    Christ no, we need someone exciting to watch here!I wonder if a Souray trade will ever happen then….

Well Hemsky’s value is high with his great contract and that value will only go down as he approaches Free Agency. I would not put money on him resigning here and we are in a complete rebuild. What is the point of keeping him around when his stock is at its highest?

MetalOil: Well his value is high with his great contract and that value will only go down as he approaches Free Agency. I would not put money on him resigning here and we are in a complete rebuild. What is the point of keeping him around ?

Cause 1) I have a few jerseys and 2) The Oilers are going ot be back in 2-3 years, plus I think Hall, Eberle, Svensson and possibly jagr and cervenka hemsky could re-sign.

Steve Staios looks to be gone guys.

OMFG Oilers trade Staios to FLAMES

12. dawgtoy says:

Staios to the flames??? Aaron Johnson and a 3rd round. wow

4th period: Staios to Calgary.

WHAT?!

Edit: For Aaron Johnson and a 3rd rounder.

I’ll have to research that Aaron Johnson isn’t making 8M per season for the next 10 years, but sounds great!!

Yup, to Flames…weird.

To Oilers:
    Aaron Johnson (D prospect)
    3rd round pick

To Flames:
    Staios

Thank you Steve for all your contributions to the Oilers. I do like him!

16. MetalOil says:

WOOOOOOOOO A trade with Calgary. What the hell is going on here???
    Thank you for your years of service Steve now Off with your head :)

17. mrgod2u says:

That is a pretty good salary dump, plus it should allow us to win a game against the Flames next year. The only salary listing I have seen was 540,000 but that may be old.

Hemsky should never ever ever be traded.

19. dawgtoy says:

Keenan keeps saying Staios can play forward, is he nuts?

20. MetalOil says:

Jail bait !!!! wow do we ever have a young back end here now.

hah, well color me happy, and you know I liked Staios. But we definitely won (for our side) on that deal… the Flames might be happy too.

Tambellini is fired for committing a cardinal sin and trading to the Flames though

22. Trogdor says:

A lot happening after thinking Grebs was going to be the only big move. Good to see management getting invloved and taking action.

dawgtoy: Keenan keeps saying Staios can play forward, is he nuts?

Staios started his career at forward and was moved to D either in Van or Atlanta.. I forget.

24. MetalOil says:

dawgtoy: Keenan keeps saying Staios can play forward, is he nuts?

He is getting old. He must be confusing him with Struds.

25. dawgtoy says:

Maybe we should have tried moving him up, Maybe he could have been the Center we were looking for.

MetalOil: Jail bait !!!! wow do we ever have a young back end here now.

lmao

I like this trade, Cap dump and an earlier pick. Johnson won’t be back here next year either.

27. dawgtoy says:

Flames will be joining us at the bottom of the division in no time. They have made some terrible moves.

28. MetalOil says:

All said we do have quiet a bit of defensive depth now.

MetalOil: All said we do have quiet a bit of defensive depth now.

Yes we do.

Thoughts on Whitney?

So besides scary, whats our blueline look like now?

31. NorwegianOiler says:

This was certainly a kick in the teeth for those who are of the ‘something must be done’ variety. Something was done, I was NOT impressed. Visnovsky for Whitney? Christ…

I do not normally do the trade-chain argument, but what if we’d traded Stoll/Greene for Whitney directly? Uproar. As I expect is the case now too. Bloody awful deadline.

Racki:

You are correct. He was a swing player for both Van and Atl. Wasn’t until Edm that he became solely a D-man and defensive stalwart.

33. MetalOil says:

I am warming to that trade. Olympian for Olympian and one that is some year younger who has put up some very strong numbers early in his career.
    One thing that is certain is that we have managed to get some bigger bodies and some more draft picks too & clear some cap space & that fits in with the rebuild.
    We also I think have a more versatile defense now. Before these last few days we had some D men that played very similar games and I think we now have a better mix on the blueline but it cost us the high end of our defense. It will just take some time for them to gel and develop together I suppose.

Time will tell I guess.

Pisani will be off the books also next year too guys. The Oilers odds are will not re-sign him. Ryan Rishaug of TSN says he expects the Oilers to be very active at the draft.

I think Whitney is better than Vishnosky defensivly. Didn’t we all say we wanted a SHUT-down guy?

36. dawgtoy says:

Interesting…

I know a lot of you folks are hating the deadline, but I think it was a step in the right direction. Visnovsky I severely hate losing.. but everyone was asking for cap space and youth, and you got it. Grebeshkov freed up cap space (although I still don’t like it). The Staios trade was VERY good.

Also 4th period says the Oilers and Rangers almost had a deal in place for Gilbert to Rangers, but it fell through.

The only move they didn’t make that they should have to make it a complete success for me was dropping Moreau in any possible way.

We are CURRENTLY a worse team, but the rebuild has begun, and that’s what’s important. Look at the whole picture here. It does suck to lose Visnovsky though… not happy about that. And I’d like to think there was a better deal out there for him too. But oh well.

39. Haboiler says:

Quite the D line for tonite.

Gilbert – Strudwick
    Chorney – Peckham
    Motin – Arsene

40. MetalOil says:

This is the first trade ever between Calgary-Edmonton ever right ? did TSN confirm this ?

41. MetalOil says:

Haboiler: Quite the D line for tonite.Gilbert – Strudwick
    Chorney – Peckham
    Motin – Arsene

We want 10!!! We want 10 all over again. This is gonna look like Canada-Germany in the Olympics.

42. MetalOil says:

Whitney on TSN. Surprised he ain’t in tears right now.

gr8one: I also think Souray’s injury had a huge impact on what the Oilers were trying to do at the deadline, however I do think he will become a very good bargaining chip at the draft.Overall I think it’s a decent start toward the rebuild, shed some salary, bring in some younger players and picks.I’m a little disappointed Moreau wasn’t dealt, but hey…there is still the draft, and if not, maybe that was what Lowe was alluding to when talking about burying salary in the minors next year.

Without question. One of those two were moving and it seemed pretty evident that Souray was being shopped. Today’s news of infection pretty much put the stamp on moving Lubo, but I really feel they would have moved him as well as he’s quietly asked to be traded.

Let’s face it. We’re a rebuilding team with heavy contracts on the blueline, we’ve now moved three of those and received a quality guy in Whitney who is bigger and has the ability to move the puck as well.

I was very pissed about Grebs, but it’s clear that this team is going to be gutted and some pain will come with that. Losing a world class player like Lubo stings, but I guess it’s all just bad timing. Great player, right place, wrong time. Chorney showed good stuff, we can use Peckham to fill in Staios’ role, and there will be growing pains, but the end result is a more balanced blueline and less dollars there.

Don’t be shocked when Souray is traded this summer. I fully expect him to be gone as well at this point.

As for tonight’s blueline….it will not be a great game for sure.

As for trading with the Flames, we’ve done it before and even at the height of the BOA when we got Nilsson and Fotio.

44. MetalOil says:

So that 3rd rounder we got from the Flames is ether for this years draft or next years. Calgary’s choice.

MetalOil: So that 3rd rounder we got from the Flamers is ether for this years draft or next years. Calgary’s choice.

Strange for sure. It has to be conditional to making the playoffs.

46. mrgod2u says:

I noticed that Moreau pulled a classic “late game penalty to kill the comeback” last night. Bet that added to his value..

47. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Strange for sure.It has to be conditional to making the playoffs.

TSN said that it is simply Calgary’s choice.

According to the 4th period (again pretty trusted), the last deal is done now. So the Oil be finished.

49. MetalOil says:

So can all of this newly created cap space be a indication of Jagr being brought in next year? I would not be against it for a very reasonable price.

Jagr and cervnka to oilers now i think