Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…

By , March 3, 2010 9:04 am
Let's get it on!

Let's get it on!

Well, today is the final day to make any trades, as of 3PM EST (1PM MST). Will we see anything happen, or will it be a whole lot of smoke for nothing?

We figured we’d start up one place to gather all the day’s trades and rumors. We won’t be putting down every dinky little trade, but we’ll discuss some of the bigger ones, Oilers or not.

So far, we have for the Oilers:

Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd rounder. Denis’ debut was pretty memorable, earning a goal and an assist against his old team last night

Cody Wild to Boston for Matt Marquardt.

Let’s hope Tambellini isn’t done. There is talk of interest in Staios (Washington I think it was) as well as Moreau and Pisani. Pisani got hit pretty hard last night into the end boards, so I’m hoping that he wasn’t hurt at all (anyone?).

Let the games begin! (er.. resume)

Btw, you can monitor the deals on TSN and discuss them in this thread.

There’s already been a few small deals so far.

Oilers deal tracker:
Oilers claim Ryan Jones off waivers from NAS.
Oilers trade Lubomir Visnovsky (nooo) to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney (hooray!) and 6th Round Pick
Oilers trade Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and 3rd Round Pick.

120 Responses to “Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…”

From the Fourth Period (these guys are pretty reliable):
    “To clarify, Panthers are not shopping Vokoun, teams are calling them and they’re listening… Oilers in same boat with Gilbert, who has attracted serious interest from a team in East.”
    Also:
    “Rangers and Oilers are seriously talking trade, not involving Sheldon Souray…”
    Gilbert?

TSN’s Darren Dreger saying Souray will accept trade to 19 teams, but no CDN clubs.

3. MetalOil says:

Damn. Byron Bitz got traded from the Bruins to the Panthers. Thats a guy who I would love to have on our 3rd or 4th line.

Yah no kidding.. I was surprised the Bruins let him go easily..

5. MetalOil says:

Racki: From the Fourth Period (these guys are pretty reliable):
    Also:
    “Rangers and Oilers are seriously talking trade, not involving Sheldon Souray…”
    Gilbert?

right now this worries me. There is not that much on the Rangers that I want coming our way save for Callahan & Gabs who are most likely untouchable,

more 4th period:
    ” Lots more chatter surrounding Oilers, expected to be very busy (Souray, Gilbert, Moreau, etc.)..”

Oilers claim Ryan Jones off waivers from NAS.

i’d take dubinsky off of rangers in a heartbeat

9. MetalOil says:

Thats not a bad waiver pick up.

I think Comrie will be gone by 1:00 today unless we can get an extension at a reasonable price for him.

Walker to the Caps.. no details yet.

11. Haboiler says:

Rumour of Gilbert to NYR… wonder what is coming back if thats the case…

lol…this David Staples tweet cracked me up!

“David Staples
    Tamby can’t make trade because, dammit, he just needs five or six more hours to assess his players. Deadline too darn tight. . .”

13. MetalOil says:

I wonder who will be rotting away in the minors next season. Things ain’t looking good right now and I hope we do not push the panic button & do something stupid like trade away Lubes.

Haboiler, how come you stopped managing you fantasy team? go manage it!!!

15. Haboiler says:

I will have a lookout for the trade offer this evening…

gr8one: Haboiler, how come you stopped managing you fantasy team? go manage it!!! also, try and be on the lookout for trade offers there, I will probably be sending you one in the next day or so.

16. MetalOil says:

LOL Mike Keenhan just said that Staois would be a good pick up for a team also saying that he can play both Offense and defense. he must be talking about struds.

17. DropIt says:

Toskala!

*facepalm*

18. Haboiler says:

If nothing happens in the next 15 minutes…. Today should be classified as a complete and utter failure.

19. MetalOil says:

Might be something happening with the Oil with TSN reporting that the Oilers have called up 2 more d men from Springfield.

20. Haboiler says:

Souray out for the year with infection in his hand and is in hospital according to Rishaug.

21. hockeynoob says:

Hey everyone!!!

Big day for the Oilers, lol.

Love the Staples tweet.

So the deadline came and went.. but there still could be more deals rolling in. However it looks like it was a huge bust for the Oil today. Phhhhhhuck.

23. MetalOil says:

At first I was getting steamed with Tamby but as is usually the case when I start laying the blame on him I usually switch to blaming Lowe for all these horrendous contracts that are clearly not movable. I am glad he did not trade Lubes due to the others being too pricey for for what they would bring to the other teams.

25. Trogdor says:

What did I miss?!?!?!

Oh, nothing…

26. mrgod2u says:

Wow, well I guess we will be making the moves in the off-season. Realistically with the teams that are shopping looking for players that would help them win a cup there is very little of that in our “For Sale” bin. Plus the return value of players was pretty low, considering that this was supposed to be a “seller’s market”.

I guess in the end we didn’t want to break up the chemistry that is doing such an amazing job of guaranteeing us a top 2 pick.

27. MetalOil says:

Oh hell no. Lubes is gone for Ryan Whitney.

Lubo traded to Anaheim for Ryan Whitney.

WTH??

Lubomir Vishnovsky has been traded to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney……….Thanks for nothing Tambi you idiot

30. Haboiler says:

WTH??? Vish gone?

Ryan Whitney to the Oilers for Visser!

I hate you Steve Tambelini. I needa brown bag.

Steve-O: I’m still hoping another trade comes in, but right now it looks as though Tambellini is fucking dumb.

Careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

34. Trogdor says:

Veteran to lead our young forwards, but a big hole on the blue line… Hopefully something else is in the works there.

Scratch that, wrong Whitney…

Whitney is signed until 2012-13 season with cap hit of 4M, it looks like.

36. Haboiler says:

A bigger body too… After initial sticker shock, maybe long term with age and size… maybe a fair deal.

37. MetalOil says:

That was so retarded. Clear house with this incompetent management team of no good losers we have here. Now our forwards will never get the puck, heck it won’t even leave our zone for the most part and when it does it will be the classic pass off of the boards to a waiting opposition D man. Sorry about your luck Mr. Ryan Whitney.

I don’t hate the trade. I mean I really liked Lubo (our best d-man by far…really really far), but his salary and age doesn’t work with a rebuild. Now we have a good young d-man, with a decent salary that positions us better for the future.

Unless they trade Gilbert. Then I wouldn’t like that so much.

You guys should hear Racki weeping softly at his desk.

40. Trogdor says:

Anyone know anybody who plays D? Oilers will be looking for some help at training camp.

Trogdor: Anyone know anybody who plays D?Oilers will be looking for some help at training camp.

I’m a D-man!

42. mrgod2u says:

I’ll wait until I see the team on the ice at the beginning of next season. But the salary dump is ok…

Right now it is all about our first overall pick, this year and probably next year too.

Racki: Ryan Whitney for Visnovsky.. hmmmm… tough one to call. Visnovsky was a very good d-man for us. That saves 1.7M and goes with the youth movement as well as adds size (even though he isn’t one to use it, it still helps if he’s getting banged around). I’m 50/50 on this one.. time will tell.

yeah…the more I think of it, the more I like it it actually, right now, yes Lubo is the better all around D man, But Whitney is still young with HUGE upside and a bigger body, Whitney will just be hitting his peak when Lubo will be retiring.

add to this that this season is a write off, and this will help likely help us with the “tank” this season but long term will be great for us.

and as Racki pointed, the 1.7million cap hit swing in our favor doesn’t hurt either, that certainly is not insignificant.

Excuse me while I buy an Bruins jersey.

Oilers also get a 6th rounder in the deal as per the website. Yes Whitney is bigger and young but still overpaid and hasn’t worked out anywhere. I believe Ryan Whitney is from around here though (Boston area)

46. MetalOil says:

Well that should up JDD and Dubes GAA in the streak drive but hey this pretty much makes certain a last place finish and a top 2 pick in the draft.

Heads up guys another oilers deal on the way, looks like moreau is gone.

48. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Heads up guys another oilers deal on the way, looks like moreau is gone.
    I was just gonna say that this trade still does not change anything about the players that we must get out of our dressing room ASAP. I hope ur right Boston.

Gilbert-Smid
    Whitney-Chorney
    Staios-Pecks
    Strudwick

This would be the lineup with out trades at the draft and such. Damn I liked Lubo, but lets hope Quinner and RTenney get Ryan going.

Also Sheldon Souray to Boston for Matt Hunwick and a 3rd round pick was rumored to happen, but it fell apart do to the infection. That was what wasd on the radio here.

50. dawgtoy says:

I wish we would have never traded for Visnovsky. I didn’t like that trade and now…Ryan Whitney. Visnovsky is a very good, but we desperately miss Stoll and Greene. Whitney now joins his third team in two years. I’m very disappointed with the trade deadline day for Edmonton. I guess its time to buy out some contracts??? I like the fact the Oil are rebuilding and feel its the right move in an attempt to right the franchise, but I was so hoping to see some vets move on. Might be time to rebuild the management team first once the season ends, then rebuild the franchise through draft and youth.