Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…

By , March 3, 2010 9:04 am
Let's get it on!

Let's get it on!

Well, today is the final day to make any trades, as of 3PM EST (1PM MST). Will we see anything happen, or will it be a whole lot of smoke for nothing?

We figured we’d start up one place to gather all the day’s trades and rumors. We won’t be putting down every dinky little trade, but we’ll discuss some of the bigger ones, Oilers or not.

So far, we have for the Oilers:

Denis Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd rounder. Denis’ debut was pretty memorable, earning a goal and an assist against his old team last night

Cody Wild to Boston for Matt Marquardt.

Let’s hope Tambellini isn’t done. There is talk of interest in Staios (Washington I think it was) as well as Moreau and Pisani. Pisani got hit pretty hard last night into the end boards, so I’m hoping that he wasn’t hurt at all (anyone?).

Let the games begin! (er.. resume)

Btw, you can monitor the deals on TSN and discuss them in this thread.

There’s already been a few small deals so far.

Oilers deal tracker:
Oilers claim Ryan Jones off waivers from NAS.
Oilers trade Lubomir Visnovsky (nooo) to the Ducks for Ryan Whitney (hooray!) and 6th Round Pick
Oilers trade Steve Staios to Calgary for Aaron Johnson and 3rd Round Pick.

120 Responses to “Trade Deadline Bonanza part 2…”

(thats for Grebs + Vis + Staios basically for just Whitney in the long run)

Racki: I’m pretty luke warm to Jagr, myself. He only makes sense here in a mentorship role.. if he’s cool with that, then come on by, buddy.

4. MetalOil says:

Yeah Only if he comes on a short term deal with no more then 2.5 million per, if that.

Racki: Correct me if I’m wrong… but Tambellini shaved off $7.45M in cap space long term….He’s not my favoritist GM in the whole world, but we can cut him a small break I think.. that is good for the future.(thats for Grebs + Vis + Staios basically for just Whitney in the long run)

Also Racki, we have 10 picks in this years draft I believe

6. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: I think Whitney is better than Vishnosky defensivly. Didn’t we all say we wanted a SHUT-down guy?

I do not think so. In most games I’ve seen, Whitney’s size has been a mirage. Come to think of it, he’s a bit like Tom Gilbert in that way…The cap ‘relief’ of 1.6M is not at all worth the downgrade in skill, puck movement ability and character. If it was only about keeping the books, we could have waived any one of our forwards to meet the target. Instead, we moved what may be our best leader, a player that made other defensemen better (the only one at that) and opted to get a “Joni Pitkänen” with less potential.

Don’t think this trade was a good fit, don’t think the Grebeshkov trade was a wise move, the Staios move was ok, though for the cap relief alone.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: he wants to bring his 24 year old superstar friend roman cervenka to the team who has 70+ points in 40+ games.

Hehe, look up “Jiri Dopita” and you’ll find a link to Cervenka. He plays in the less than illustrious Czech Elite Leauge, and he’s small too :P

8. MetalOil says:

So a pattern has now developed. Any time our best D man gets traded just turn of the TV/Internet/Radio and know that he is now a duck.

Bostonoiler:

Yes I know he does… this is the guy that was 5’7, 120-something and missed the draft because of it. But he grew a fair bit (5’11 now… and what 180something I think??) and will be more valuable now.

But I have to wonder how much of a reliance these guys have on each other…

I think the Oilers are waiting. They are waiting right now for the draft, whe nteams will have more cap space and such. Honestly what do they have to lose out on? Lets say they end up with top pick, then you make the trades for picks at the draft and get a better idea of what your getting.

Oh, if the Oilers want Jagr and his star buddy Cervanka (Who I want really bad) to play in Edmonton next year, they are going ot have the cap space. They only have 33 million commited to next season roster. A good day for Tambi.

Racki: Yes I know he does… this is the guy that was 5′7, 120-something and missed the draft because of it. But he grew a fair bit (5′11 now… and what 180something I think??) and will be more valuable now.But I have to wonder how much of a reliance these guys have on each other…edit: oops, ignore that, for some reason I thought they played together in the KHL. I’m barely impressed by numbers there, let alone in the Czech league. So I’m not foaming at the mouth over Jagr and his buddy, but I’d be open to it if the price is right and the role is right and they aren’t stealing quality minutes from anyone that should be getting it.

Wow It said he played in the KHL with Jagr in the journal. my bad guys! Well we need to look for someone else :p

N.O: I disagree with you there. I loved the Staios deal, wasn’t huge on the Grebeskov deal and likes the Vish deal. Lets hope it all works out.

12. Trogdor says:

I wonder how it is for these guys. Especially on a road trip. You only bring so much with you and if you’re expected to report the next day, do you fly home, pack some things, tell the wife and kids “We’re moving!” then jump back in the cab that was waiting for you and fly to your new home? Or skip the flight home and buy a 3 pack of underwear at the airport?

Just quickly generated this for reference for next year…all the * need contracts for next year ($ amount is from this year)

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
    FORWARDS
    Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Ales Hemsky ($4.100m)
    Patrick O’Sullivan ($2.925m) / Ethan Moreau ($2.000m) / Robert Nilsson ($2.000m)
    * Sam Gagner ($1.625m) / * Andrew Cogliano ($1.133m) / Ryan Jones ($0.975m)
    * Marc-Antoine Pouliot ($0.825m) / * Gilbert Brule ($0.800m) / * Ryan Stone ($0.600m)
    * Ryan Potulny ($0.595m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Sheldon Souray ($5.400m) / Ryan Whitney ($4.000m)
    Tom Gilbert ($4.000m) / Ladislav Smid ($1.300m)
    Alex Plante ($1.075m) / Taylor Chorney ($0.942m)
    * Theo Peckham ($0.600m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Nikolai Khabibulin ($3.750m) / * Devan Dubnyk ($0.700m) / * Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers ($0.625m)
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
    ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $49.720m; CAP ROOM: $7.470m BONUSES: $0.390m

Looking at that, if we trade Souray and Moreau (or waive) in the off season and pick up some el cheapo vets we aren’t looking too terrible. Won’t win much but can field a competitive team (ala late 90’s Oilers). It will also set us up pretty for the future.

And another plus, now when I say Gilbert is one of our better d-men I will get less argument.

15. DropIt says:

Just. Wow.

Never thought I would see a Calgary/Edmonton deal in my lifetime.
    (Which actually has NOT ever happened before. The Nilsson deal Chucker mentioned actually included the Minnesota North Stars in a 3 way deal)

I guess I don’t have to eat my words though, as I have said more than once that Staios was my favorite Oiler (if there was such a thing). :P

With Sutter going senile, I think I may have to start watching Oiler games :S

We should have told Sutter we needed Staios for one more game.. (nevermind that it doesn’t make sense, given the deadline.. :P)

17. DropIt says:

Only if we can borrow Penner and Gagner for the rest of the year…

You guys continue your fall. And we can lock up 10th with ease.

God damn sutter

18. NorwegianOiler says:

Hehehe, you’ll find that that would be spelled “SutterS” (plural) DropIt.

19. neufab says:

Now that I’ve had time to digest here goes. The worst team in the league got worse today.

The trades on deadline day combined with the lack of movement leading up to deadline day Tambellini made it very clear that this is going to be a long process. The over-hall on defense was started by shedding salary and bringing in 1 guy (Johnson remaining a question mark). I hate to see Visnovsky go but by the time the Oilers are any good Visnovsky would be on his way out anyway, and Grebs was a gonner anyway also. Staios for an older prospect and a 3rd rounder would be a better deal if it were not a deal with the flames.

The media consensus is that Souray’s gone in the off season. Souray MUST yeild us a good return! I like Whitney coming in as a younger guy with some experience and size and the Oilers do need to be better in their own zone, but even there, Visnovsky was one of our top players. The defense will remain a question mark until we know the status and/or destination of Souray.

Maybe Tambi can get more for our players in the off season, but keeping ALL of the current forwards until end of the season confuses me a little. I wasn’t expecting much, but … I hoped for something, namely; Moreau. There is lots of work to be done with the forward corp.

Our D going forward looks to be Gilbert, Smid, Whitney, and young guys; maybe Johnson. If they keep Struds we then have 1 veteran. I can’t see Souray staying for a rebuild in the latter portion of his career.

I guess it’s a start.

I’m sure they have people that take care of that. Also, the debit card with access to millions likely makes it easier.