The rebuild….

By , March 4, 2010 1:16 pm
The mastermind behind the Oilers rebuild..

The mastermind behind the Oilers rebuild.. or so it seems, sometimes

Well, it’s D-day + 1. The trade deadline has past and we are left with the aftermath. Expectations for Tambellini to be able to pull it off were quite low, but hope was quite high. As such, I think a lot of people were disappointed by his efforts.

I’m going to play devil’s advocate on this one, however (which I know won’t gain popular support). I thought he did a relatively good job with what he has to work with. I do think that trading Grebeshkov over Gilbert was a poor decision, if that was the choice. However it wasn’t either or here… it was both. Gilbert was set to go to the Rangers (not sure for who though) and that fell through. It’s hard to say whether we got full value for Grebeshkov, however. I would have liked to have seen a reclamation project or an unknown prospect come our way. However, that was a step in the right direction; it shedded salary, and it added a pick. Effort was also shown in trying to move the likes of Moreau and Souray. However, Souray proved to be unmovable due to his injuring taking a worse turn (he is now officially out for the season).

Next, let’s take a look at trading Cody Wild for Matt Marquardt. Cody Wild is a guy who’s a bit of an enigma based on how he’s gained favor with fans here. He has a pretty steady following from several bloggers out there. This is a guy a few have felt has had his development ruined by being in the Oilers system. I’m not so sure of that at all. He’s had a couple of trips to the ECHL under different coaches. And Rob Daum (the guy that everyone loves) also had alluded earlier when comparing he and Chorney, that a lot of fans are stats reading when they talk highly of Wild. Clearly he wasn’t the prospect several thought he was. In Marquardt, we get a guy whose last name is significantly harder to spell, for one. We also get a big body (these Bruins sure love their big kids) with him being 6’3″ and 229 lbs. Size has been an issue here, and it will help to have a guy we can call up if Stone or Jacques or someone with size gets hurt. Also of note is Marquardt is 22 years old.

Next in the timeline we have the Ryan Jones waiver claim. Ryan Jones is a 26-year old left winger who weighs in at 200 even, and is 6’0″ tall. I don’t know really much at all about him yet, but it looks like he does bring a good physical/energy game. Here’s the scouting report on him:

Assets
Plays with an all-out hustle that gets him noticed by his coaching staff. Can play either wing position. Has good size and decent offensive ability.
Flaws
Isn’t great in the defensive zone. Needs to perform with greater consistency at the highest level. Must be more disciplined and not take bad penalties.
Career Potential
Depth winger.

Next deal up, we have Ryan Whitney and a 6th rounder in exchange for Lubomir Visnovsky. Wow… this is a tough one to judge. I think we’ll have to give it some time, but I have a bad feeling this will bite us in the ass later. It is a step in the right direction in a way though. The idea was good. Take a veteran, high-paid defenceman and flip him for a younger player. It obviously was a salary dump. This deal saved us $1.6 Million in cap money. On the other hand, however, did we not learn from trading Pronger to the Ducks how badly it sucks trading these big name players within our conference? It could bite us in the ass for that reason alone. But it’s hard to know what deals were out there. Ryan Whitney is a gamble. A former 5th overall pick of the Penguins, his best numbers he put up would have been on a team with Crosby and Malkin on it – a highly offensive-laden team. Since being traded to the Ducks, the numbers haven’t been the same, but they haven’t been bad either. I kind of have to wonder if we’re getting another Tom Gilbert here. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen him here for a while. This could be a good deal, but it has potential to be ugly. But it was a good “re-build” move in that we dropped salary and got much younger. 50/50 here.

Lastly, we have Staios to Calgary for a 3rd rounder and Aaron Johnson. Wow, I love this deal. Steve-O likes to mock me for my mancrush on Staios, however there is nothing bad about this one at all. We take an aging, declining defenseman and ship him off to the city we hate… more salary their way. Not only do we get a good pick out of it (hey, 3rd rounder isn’t bad at all), but we also get a guy who can be in the lineup. We’re not talking top-4 here (at least I’m not), but he could help the team out. Yes, our defense is now in shambles right now. But this will help seal the draft pick, makes us younger, and frees up $2.7M, plus gives us yet another pick. Not bad at all. I’m glad Steady Steve is looking forward to playing in Calgary too. It’ll suck having to play against him, but it will (possibly) only be for next year that we have to face him.

So all in all, I know there is more to be done. But these recent deals shaved off near $7.5M in cap money (to put towards RFA re-signings), helped the youth movement, and gave us a bit more size to work with. I have to admit, the Staios deal is what clinched it for me though.

So I won’t duplicate work that has been already done. Steve-O brought it to my attention earlier that Lowetide has done a write up on estimated caps for players next year – looks pretty reasonable and his numbers sit around $57.2M (just under the max) with our current crop including potential tradees Moreau and Souray. You should take a look here if you’re interested in the numbers he suggested. With some certainty, we can say that Moreau will be gone (I could be out to lunch here though). One would also suspect that Souray could be moved at the draft also. So that will free up loads of cash if that happens. The other part is that Lowetide figured the new draftee in our lineup (Seguin by his guess), for one, and figured him to be making $3.75M with bonuses. I’m not sure I agree with that, but it is not an unreasonable thought at all on his part (by that I mean, I’m not so sure we have our top pick in our lineup next year.. but who knows).

Anyways, there are positives to this deadline. The re-build has begun. We moved a guy (that I did really like) that was not living up to his salary, and was due to make at least his salary on July 1st (Grebeshkov). We freed up some good salary for the future. Now what I’d like to see between now and the start of next year by Tambellini is moving Moreau and Souray (potentially – I’d be fine with him here still). I’d also like to see him move one of Nilsson and O’Sullivan (or both) to help make room for the new crop we’ll be bringing in. As far as additions, we still need some blue line help, but this is a whole other matter to discuss and not overly urgent yet.

32 Responses to “The rebuild….”

Yeah, I’m pretty much on board with everything you have to say.

Although I don’t love the Grebs trade, I do understand it, I think qualifying him with 15% raise would be an overpayment, and for all we know he told Tambi straight out he didn’t want to stay, or that he was going to the KHL, I also think Gilbert still has bright future, and will surpass his contract’s worth before it’s expired, but as of right now, I doubt Gilbert was nearly as tradeable as Grebs because of his contract.

gr8one: Yah, for sure.. I agree with all that. Grebeshkov I was unhappy to see go (especially with Gilbert staying), but I see the reasoning behind it. I do have a bit of beef over only getting a 2nd rounder (I’m not sure how deep this draft is, but it doesn’t strike me as though it is THAT deep, but I don’t know), but I see the positives in it (another pick, salary saved).

3. MetalOil says:

Great read Racki!
    So the day after D day I think I feel a little bit better about Tambys moves. Yeah it sucked that we lost our hardest working and most consistent player in Lubes as he was a fan favorite because he was our only player who had both the effort and ability all season but who’s kidding who. Lubes age and salary did not really fit in with what needed to be done in our rebuild attempts. At least now we are not spending right up against the Cap for the NHL’s worst team and now we have plenty of options and cap room going forway with more cap room coming in the summer with expiring contracts and more moves on the way. I like that we now have a lot of picks stock piled and ideally I would like us to make a trade to pick up another 1st round pick(probably mid 1st round pick). I would like to see us maybe trade the 2nd rounder we got from the Preds along with one of our many smallish forwards( O’Sully, Cogs ect…) for that 2nd 1st round pick in what is being called a very deep draft.

Point being we now have a lot of wiggle room and assets to use in our rebuild and that’s a good start.

I give Tamby a B- for the trades leading up to and on deadline day.

Yah, I’m hoping that we can flip some picks to get a higher 1st rounder. I know I have a crazy love for the kid, but I’d love to see Nintendorider drafted in addition to one of Seguin/Hall/Fowler

Good post Racki to sum everything up. I mostly visit Lowetide and POTF now and hardly see the Oilers main page or any hockey forums because I think its a waste of time (hockey forums), especially when your head is buried in books for such things as anatomy and biomechanics.

Anyways, at first I thought I read Ray Whitney (from Carolina) and almost lost my mind yesterday but then saw Anaheim and I cooled down. Would have liked to have his contract a little smaller around 3.25 for his cap hit but what can you do?

Do you think we could snag another first rounder for Dustin Penner before the actual draft from Florida or Carolina (someone in the top three)? Penner has cooled down considerably from his hot streak the first half of the season but he could be a potential asset I could see us moving before his contract becomes something to talk about again.

I’d love to see us draft Seguin but Hall looks more like a safer draft (point production wise) but then again he’s had the line-mates to back him up. Seguin seems to be much more of a leader/potential captain years down the road (from what I’ve taken in from his interviews) where as Hall may be more of a flashy forward.

This could shape up to be quite a season next year for Oklahoma City, if I were them I’d be quite excited about this up coming draft.

One last note, I’ve begun to come up with a GM philosophy type paper and I’ll try and submit it to one of the staff and hopefully it’ll get posted on “The Wall”. The only thing is at the moments there are just a lot of bullet points on a sheet of paper and I’m going to need a lot more time on my hands to write it out but I think it will make for an interesting read at the least.

I’d also like to mention that I still think 65pts will be the magic number for the Oilers to claim the top seed in the lottery. And for Carolina, the second closest team to Edmonton, that’s only 4 wins away. Really our only competition for the top seed is Toronto. We could have a “pathetic” heated rivalry for top seed in the draft with the Leafs’ and that could give us another reason to “hate on” Burke (more so than on the Leafs IMHO) and to make fun of his transactions of first round picks.

The salary we dropped yesterday will allow us to sign our restricted free agents (that need a raise).

The salary we are going to drop at the draft (or summer…hopefully) (Moreau and Souray) will get us to the cap floor (if we are going to suck no point in spending money).

Suck for at least next year, and probably the year after that gaining picks and by that time we should be right in the wheelhouse of the current kids, the end of some entry level contracts, and for Hemsky’s final contract year. He’ll look at how awesome we are now and be willing to resign. We can then get out of Khabibulin’s contract and be ready to rock!

As a final plus, enough people will have gotten off of the bandwagon that I can pick up seasons tickets without paying that ridiculous admin fee for being on the waiting list.

zack: thats if our current crop of prospects even play in Oklahoma (hopefully they do). Anyone in the CHL under 20 or whatever it is won’t be able to play there yet. So hopefully we can assemble some guys that actually will play at the AHL level.

Btw Zack (and anyone else not aware), you can make your own posts over on the wall.. you just type it all up and submit it there and it will automatically flag it for me to be ready to publish. There is help there on how to do it too.

9. neufab says:

This season can’t end fast enough. My bone of contention is that a full year has been wasted due to managements inability to make changes during the previous off-season.

I don’t buy in to the idea that the only time you can make changes is draft day, free agent day, and trade deadline day. Frankly, this thinking pisses me off. Why not make changes WHEN they need to be made? A deal that makes sense for both clubs involved CAN be made. It may not be easy, but that doesn’t make it impossible. The previous moves are what they are… a start!

I’m tired of saying “maybe next year”. I am still a fan, and apparently a sucker for punishment as I continue to watch games, but I am not so easily convinced by managements “speeches” of hope as other teams get better and we’re left with the guys we can’t get rid of. We should expect some good draft picks for a couple of years, but you still need the right players and leaders leading the way for these new guys to rise up to their potential.

Lets not kid ourselves though because I still think that injuries to key guys have killed this team on multiple levels; hesitation to engage physically, throwing the puck away under pressure, inconsistent line-up, lack of chemistry, fear, doubt, etc. And the waiting continues… sigh… at least we made history – record for consecutive road wins with in 1 road trip (5), team record for consecutive losses, road losses, and first ever trade with the Calgary flames, and maybe a couple others by the time the season is over.

Stores shouldn’t be running out of Oilers gear though ;)

i’m interested to see if maybe Gilbert gets traded at the draft. I don’t doubt that at all. I actually think Gilbert will come into his own. We have Smid and Whitney right now and probably Peckham and Chorney. I wonder if we keep Gilbert, or send him and Cogliano to the Rangers for Staal at the draft. I would love that deal….I like what we have done so far, opening cap and roster spots. Its clear they have a plan and that its not yet done, not by a long shot. They know what Eberle and Svennson can possibly do, and what we could get in Hall or Seguin. Those 3 would be our core at forward, and remember Gagner will thankfully be here for the long run, as will Pennner and Hemsky. They did good yesterday, at according to TSN, they set themselves up nicely to make deals at the draft. I’ll be looking forward to the draft.

as for cap for next year I think we look like this:

Jagr-Hall/Seguin-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-Eberle
    Svensson-Brule-Cogliano
    Jones-Potulny-Stortini

Whitney-Souray(I don’t think hes going)
    Gilbert-Peckham
    Chorney-UFA
    Strudwick

Neaufab, good points…I actually also can’t help but wonder if Tambellini’s inaction in the offseason was somewhat premeditated in the sense that if he had of pulled off these moves, or similar ones in the offseason, he literally would have been lynched, the fact that this team has been so horrid really has made these moves much more palatable to the fans.In other words, he knew what needed to be done, but realized the fans really needed a good taste of shit before we’d be willing to eat some sawdust.

Very good point… verrrry good point.

I also think that while I hate his inaction to make moves, we don’t get a 3rd rounder and a player for Staios at the start of the year either. I still think that was a really good trade for a declining and now inconsistent d-man.

as for cap for next year I think we look like this:Jagr-Hall/Seguin-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-Eberle
    Svensson-Brule-Cogliano
    Jones-Potulny-StortiniWhitney-Souray(I don’t think hes going)
    Gilbert-Peckham
    Chorney-UFA
    StrudwickNot sure what the cap hit would be there. I think we can dumb Nilsson, O’Sullivan, Moreau and Horcoff at the draft, and simply let pisani and comrie go. Its do able. I also think Hall is the better player between him and Seguin. Lastly I don’t think we have to suck next year. Look at Colorado. Anyone have any additions or subtractions to their lineup?

I agree with you here. And like I said earlier they aren’t nearly done with this re-build. They have Smid, Whitney, Peckham and Chorney on the backend or next year, whie they have Hemsky, Brule, Gagner, Penner, Eberle, Hall/Seguin, Cogliano, Svensson, Jones and Stortini for next year at forward while Lander, Hartikkan, Rajala and Vande Velde continue to develop in the AHL. The future is bright in Edmonton, we all just need to be patient, because yes we suck right now, but it will be worth it when a cup comes to Edmonton within the next 10 years.

as tempting as it may be, not sure I want our first round pick to be in the NHL next year, especially with the added pressure of being on the first line.MPS would probably benefit from some significant AHL time as well, why burn a year of entry level eligibility so soon, and take the risk of rushing them

Whens the last time a top pick didn’t go right to the NHL? I think both Hall and Seguin are ready for the NHL, and most experts do too.

B.O.: I think Souray and Moreau are both gone before the start of next year. If not then, it’s because Tambi wants more than is offered, and he waits until the trade deadline next year (in Souray’s case.. I’d be surprised if Moreau survives waivers if he isn’t traded before the start of next season).

2006, Erik Johnson, to answer your question…

But you’re right.. generally the top pic plays right away.. especially if they’re a forward. Looks like Mats Sundin was the last forward (drafted in 1989) that was drafted first overall and didn’t play in the NHL the same year he was drafted. Interesting.

Of course there might be something to be said about Daigle/Stefan possibly being too rushed… more likely just the talent level they had was incorrectly evaluated, I am guessing.

19. MetalOil says:

I do not think it would really hurt to start our 1st round pick in the AHL but I would not send them there with the expectation that they would be there all season. Maybe send them down for 10-20 games to get their feet wet and see how they handle themselves. Of course if our 1st round pick knocks the coaching staffs socks off at training camp then it would be a no brainer to keep them up in the bigs. The ball is really in our 1st round picks court to earn a spot on the team just like everyone else.

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

Sad to see Lubo go, but I wish him all the best in Anaheim. Poor Horpensky just got his #17 Lubo jersey fixed, he should have sent it to get fixed and tell them the mistake was the name and asked for a Kurri instead.

There was some suggestions today that the waiver of Jones was part of the Grebeshkov deal. Makes sense on a few levels. It’s also been done before where a player is traded and then another is waived the next day for the other club to pick up.

All in all I’m fairly satisfied that we did got a big start on the re-build yesterday. It sucks to lose good players, but they just don’t fit here I guess. There has also been lots of suggestions that Grebs wouldn’t have been qualified, so if that’s the case, good trade. I like him a lot, but if he’s going to end up UFA, then trade him and save some dough.

I fully expect Moreau to be gone, as it wouldn’t shock me to see Souray moved as I believe, from the sound of things, they basically had a deal worked out and then he had a sudden flair up of herpes on his hand. I think he’s gone and if it’s not deadline day, it’s in the summer.

Pisani will not be coming back, so that’s another 2.5. I doubt they re-sign Comrie either, but he’s cheap and I’d be cool with it if they did. JFJ is now questionable as to whether they qualify him, but I believe they will similar to what Minnie did with Foster.

I would also think one of Cogliano, POS and Nilsson will be offered up for some sort of deal as well. We have redundant players that need to be moved. I think for sure one of these guys is moved and likely two. Don’t forget O’Mark is in the system and he’s not a giant either as well as a few others.

With all that, we could be looking at a salary (before qualifying offers and UFA signings) of around 35 millionish. Pretty good if you ask me in terms of ability to sign some cheap vets and qualify everyone to the minimum.

The one thing that may save Souray is the need for a captain and he brings that in spades, but his salary sucks. That is the big question mark for me; Who will be captain and who will be the vets to lead the way through the re-build? Clearly some will be coming in. The only guy I feel remotely comfortable with giving the C to is Souray right now, but I think he’s tradebait. Hopefully we get a quality vet back who is C material, because I will puke if Horcoff gets a C.

I think of it like this, we really only know a few things about this rebuild. We only know that Tambi has a plan and that it will be done at the draft and over the off-season. We know that he wants Hall, and will get either him or Seguin for next season, and the draft pick will be in edmonton. Eberle will be on the roster next year and likely Svensson will be too. Gagner will be re-signed and Brule too. Moreau, Pisani and Nilsson will most likely be gone. Will we really sign a UFA? If not Jagr, then probably not, and I only say him because Hemsky wants him here and He wants to play with Hemsky and he said the Oilers would be his first pick. Peckham and Chorney should be on the roster for next season. We will be a young team and I for one think we can make the playoffs next season. I really like what Tambi is doing here. Penner, Gagner, Hemsky, Eberle, Svensson, Brule, Hall/Seguin, Cogliano, and IF we sign Jagr, then Jagr make for a great offensive core. Whitney, Peckham, Chorney, Gilbert and Petry will be the defensive core. I’m very excited for the future. I can’t wait for the draft where we should all expect maybe two more trades and the drafting of our future of our franchise Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin. We should all be excited for our future! I just felt like ranting tonight hahaha so thanks for listening and if you feel like leave some thoughts. Just thought I’d say this, the Bruins and Oilers were close to dealing yesterday, which would have sent Staios and Cogliano to Boston for Ryder. Thankfully it didn’t happen. And Racki I heard about that Gilbert to NYR, but nothing coming back. Cheers

Due to the CHL agreement with the NHL, our first pick (if he’s a CHLer, which he will be, unless we surprisingly climb the standings) will be too young to play in the AHL next year. It’s either the NHL or CHL, until his CHL season is over.

Team’s too young. Young players bleed goals against. They may score a couple hundred goals, but will let in lots more. Bump a bunch of those players to the A and replace with cheap vets and you have a better chance of the playoffs.

Also, I don’t think this was Tambellini’s original plan…otherwise how do you explain Khabibulin?

Definitely not Tambellini’s original plan. Nevermind Khabibulin… Dany Heatley?

I actually don’t think it hit him until the team hit absolute rock bottom in January and everyone in the media and fans were talking about how crappy this team has become.

26. mrgod2u says:

We are likely not going to be a contender next year either, and signing Jagr would be a mistake, and a waste. I don’t think we will even be on his radar honestly so it is a moot point. If we were going to even try to contend next year then there would have been no point in trading Visser. Jagr will sign with a contender so he can go out on a high note.

This is just year one of the 2 year suck-fest necessary to build a championship team from the draft up. Get used to it. We will complain and moan, but in the end we will be the team that brings the cup back to Canada. Mark my words.

Now that the trade deadline is past there is really nothing to look forward to until draft day. I wonder who I will root for in the playoffs. I’m thinking Chicago.

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think the margin between winning and losing in the NHL is the smallest its been in years. With that said, I don’t see any reason why we can’t see drastic improvements next year. I’m not saying we’ll be regarded as cup contenders, but its within reason that we are respectable again.

I agree with Steve-O about having too many rookies in the lineup. We definitely need to acquire some cheap vets to fill out the roster. As far as going the free agent route, I’d say the best way to do it is to pick through the leftover scraps at the end of the summer. I know fans will moan all summer because Tambi isn’t doing anything, but we aren’t in a position to overpay for the top end free agents. What we should do is get the best bang for our buck(which I think is at the end of the summer because not every player is able to find a home so you can get good value at that point)especially putting guys on short term contracts so they can be the bridge till the Halls, Eberles and Svenssons are ready to emerge.

28. mrgod2u says:

I totally agree, that we could quite easily return to our respectable almost in the playoffs standings spot with very little changes. Heck we could probably move up to 10th place if 3-4 more guys a night actually came out and played.

Not that I advocate a deliberate tank on the ice but by fielding the cheapest worst team on the ice we may get next years #1 pick too, or at least a top 3. If we aren’t going to be in the playoffs, why not get the best player we can.

I also agree about waiting to the end of the FA frenzy and paying bottom dollar for average players, other than that the UFA market is a rip-off. 1 player in 4 lives up to the outrageous salaries that get handed out.

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

ugh, I don’t want to come in last place 2 years in a row. I want to believe that our team has a chance to win every game they play. It just sucks the life out of you seeing them suck night after night. I’m thinking of not getting CenterIce next season depending on what moves they make.

30. mrgod2u says:

Yeah, I’m sure Penguins fans hated every minute of their two seasons to get Crosby and Malkin, but look what it got them.

It could be worse with Center Ice, I have the distinct pleasure of living in Saskatchewan, which despite being 10 hours drive away from the Oilers is still a “home market” for them and as such a blackout zone. I have to pay for every PPV, or buy a package of them which still runs, at best, at over $10 a game. I intended to buy every PPV this year, but haven’t bought one since X-Mas.

I like the idea of getting the best value at the end of the summer. I also think sucking next year would suck all season but pay off greatly in the coming years. Eberle, Svensson, Hall/Seguin and whoever we get in next years draft in the top 5 make a great core, not to mention Gagner, Hemsky, Cogliano, Brule and Penner still here. I think wee need to give Chorney and Peckham time in the NHL and get Petry to the AHL. I think the Edmonton Oilers will be the next Canadian team to win the cup, because they ARTE building to be the next Penguins. The stars are coming. I’m ready to be patient, suck next year the nbe great for 10 years with our solid core of 5 young highly drafted studs and brule gagner hemsky and penner. This sucks but it will pay off.

32. neufab says:

Just a thought on Gilbert… we haven’t seen as much of it this year, but he is at his best when he jumps in as the 4th forward. Gilbert skates better and seems to see the ice better in his own zone also. I want to see him paired with Whitney or Smid… someone defensively sound so that Gilbert brings the game we saw getting him that contract. He’s here, and Quinn needs to allow him to do the things that made him successful. It’s not like things could be much worse in their own zone, so may as well work the other end with a little more pressure.