Oilers assign Jordan Eberle to the Springfield Falcons of the AHL

By , March 16, 2010 9:07 am

Pretty anti-climatic… very expected, but here is the write up from the official Oilers e-mail:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have assigned forward Jordan Eberle from the Regina Pats of the Western Hockey League to the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League.

Eberle, the Oilers first round draft choice (22nd overall) in 2008, finished the 2009-10 WHL season with 106 points (50G, 56A) in 57 games with the Pats. He led all WHL skaters in goals scored (50) and ranked second in the overall scoring race with 106 points. The 19-year-old also had the highest points-per-game average with 1.86 points per game and was named the WHL’s Player-of-the-Month for September and October.

54 Responses to “Oilers assign Jordan Eberle to the Springfield Falcons of the AHL”

1. Oilersman says:

First games Friday! Look forward to listening in if I can to the game! Go Eberle Go! Show the management what you got, no pressure, absolutely NONE, the Falcons are just as bad as the Oil this year so giver buddy! 9pts in 9games last year, let’s see it again if not more :P

That’ll be cool.. I wonder if I can catch the games on the web at all. I know the Springfield Falcons twitter generally has links to Youtube highlights, at least.

3. MetalOil says:

http://www.atdhe.net/index.html Does show quiet a few AHL games every night.

4. Oilersman says:

FYI Eberle debuts with the Falcons tonight!

Debuts for this year, anyways ;) Was there last year, of course.

Dan Barnes has an article today in which he suggests bringing Eberle up after 2 games (and presumably riding the season out with him?). I’m all for bringing him up for the final 9 games of the season. There are 12 left.

6. Oilersman says:

Only If we protect the kid… and seriously, there will be head hunters that want to welcome him to the NHL, we need to protect our young-ins!

I hope you’re kidding.. :P

8. Oilersman says:

perhaps.. teehee

9. Ktown says:

Man, I’m so conflicted on Eberle.

On one hand, yeah – I’m concerned about rushing/ruining him.

On the other, I think we’ve got a guy who IMHO(assuming he wasn’t already drafted) would be an easy #1 pick this year (blame that on press, exposure, whatever – but he’s still pretty good). A lot of guys have stepped right into the big league with few issues. I guess while I’m afraid of the downside, I don’t think the team should be afraid to let this kid succeed either…

I certainly don’t want to ruin him, but by the same token, I don’t want to waste him in the A. I think I’d be all for bringing him up for a few of the final games this season, seeing what he can do, and then making the call from there. If he manages to play well in his 9 games (or less) this season, and has a good camp, then I’d be all for starting him on the Oil next season.

If he comes in this season and is only average, then I’d have him in the AHL to start, and let him earn his way up sometime during the 10/11 season.

10. MetalOil says:

I hope he gets the last 2 or 3 games if he preforms well in Springfield(as he did last year). No need for anything more from him. He can use these few games heading into the summer as a tool to fine tune his game for his Real debut in the NHL next season.

I hope that atdhe site works for the Falcons game tonight( it is listed up there for tonight !!!) I am more interested in this game then the Oil-Wings game.

going to see the falcons a week from tonight!

12. MetalOil says:

going to see the falcons a week from tonight!

Do they show Falcons games on any TV networks up there Boston?

13. MetalOil says:

On a Falcons related side note it looks like the Blue Jackets are the front runners to become Springfield’s affiliation next season. There are still other teams in the mix though.

14. MetalOil says:

1 min in and Eberle scores a beauty !!!

Game is on that Atdhe site.

Eberle with the snipe!!!!! I can’t wait to get an autograph next week.

Do they show Falcons games on any TV networks up there Boston?

They sometimes do, but this week its all Hockey east champsionships so not this week.

17. MetalOil says:

ah so ur probably watching the same shitty webcast that I am.

18. MetalOil says:

The TV guy said it was his first ever pro goal but didn’t he have 3 last year? He has now said this well over 10 times in the first period lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes i am lmao and he had 3 or 4 last year and 9 points

20. MetalOil says:

add an assist to Eberle’s game total !!! he hit the post and his teammate put it in.

21. MetalOil says:

and now Reddox got one(3-1 Falcons leading)! Go Falcons GO! This is much more exciting then Oiler Hockey.

22. MetalOil says:

This guy will be ready next season. He is dominating this game. 2 points already. We know Eberle can score but what is impressing me is all the little things he is doing. In this game he is blocking shots, skating well & is making great passes too.

i like what i see

hehe this is all good to hear. Wish I could watch this one. I was dead tired when I came home and had a power nap.

25. MetalOil says:

Did you lose your feed as well BO?

Did you lose your feed as well BO?

yeah i did. I turned on the Hockey East games now. The feed won’t work.

27. MetalOil says:

ah well now I am listing on the radio. I guess WB scored 3 times in the 3rd and now the game is in OT.

That would explain why I couldn’t watch it when I woke up..

any update?

30. MetalOil says:

Eberle almost won the game but got robbed by the WB goalie. WB then went the other way a scored the OT winner. 5-4 WB beats the Falcons in OT.

31. Ktown says:

So encouraging to hear Eberle doing well in his first game (this season) in the A.

Give him a couple games, see if he keeps it up, and then give him a few NHL games to close out the year…

32. MetalOil says:

Falcons @ Wolfpack tonight. 5:00 Edmonton time. this is the 2nd game of a 3 games in 3 days trek for Eberle and the Falcons. Ain’t no rest for the wicked in the AHL!!! Hopefully my feed does not cut out on me in the 3rd like it did last night.

33. MetalOil says:

David Staples countered Dan Barns article on Eberle.

The thing that I agree with most in Staples blog is that Eberle & MPS have to win a job at camp just like everyone else. Neither of them should be a given despite the fans wants. I would actually prefer MPS to have one more year in the SEL regardless of his camp performance though.

It really is a positive to see our GM is not gonna rush any of our prospects into the NHL & I really now doubt that Eberle will be getting the call this season. Tamby is gonna stick to his guns on this one I think.

35. MetalOil says:

zackman35: In case anyone missed it Eberle has a goal and an assist in his first game with the Falcons. Not only that but I think the goal was on his first shift, or so I’ve been told.

Yeah. First shift about a minute in !

36. MetalOil says:

Ok that one is official !!!!!!!!!

A goal and an Assist(Again) so far :)

37. MetalOil says:

Another Assist
    1g 2a so far tonight. This kid produces points faster then I can type !!!

38. MetalOil says:

The transition from Jr Hockey to Pro Hockey is supposed to be a steep one but Jordan is breezing through it. In not even 2 games this year he already has more then half of his points total from his stint with the Falcons last year. He just might be the best player in the AHL already !!!

Wow, way to go Eberle!!! I won’t get TOO excited just yet, but that’s good to hear he is doing well.

40. MetalOil says:

He is looking like a steal at 22nd overall.

He might be a make-up pick for Parise :P But the only way to prove you can be successful at the NHL level is by being successful.. at the NHL level :P It’s nice to see him doing well at the WHL and at the AHL (so far), but the true test will be at the NHL level, of course. So I’m trying to repress my excitement a bit for now.

42. MetalOil says:

True True Racki. I am guilty of be overexcited for this kid.

If he is make-up for Parise then I hope our pick this year is make up for that 1995 Steve Kelly over Doan & Iginla pick. 15 years later and I am still steaming over that :)

Oi, don’t remind me!! :P

I love how on a springfield chance, they pop up the Supercuts powerplay banner… sonsabitches!!! hehe Obviously we’re getting the scoreboard feed.

Racki: He might be a make-up pick for Parise But the only way to prove you can be successful at the NHL level is by being successful.. at the NHL level It’s nice to see him doing well at the WHL and at the AHL (so far), but the true test will be at the NHL level, of course. So I’m trying to repress my excitement a bit for now.I just don’t want everyone building up huge excitement around him and putting extra pressure on him and then getting on his case if he starts off slow in the NHL. But he does seem to be a guy who can play under pressure!

That pretty much articulates exactly what I’m feeling about Eberle. I literally talk myself out of my excitement sometimes.

46. MetalOil says:

The streak is alive !!!

Eberle scores to tie the game at 1 early in the 3rd

47. MetalOil says:

yep !!! He is playing on a line with Chris Minard today. Game is now in OT.

Dang, Bridgeport wins it in the OT on a powerplay.

49. MetalOil says:

Well Falcons lose in OT but Ebs now has 3G, 3A in 3 games !!! :)
    Pt per game player for the Falcons last year and he has doubled that so far this year. Kinda weird logic but the better he does down there the more I want him to stay there to keep gaining confidence.