Monday Morning Standings – Olympics are Done

By , March 1, 2010 10:11 am

Ashleigh McIvor - Olympic Gold Medal Winner

The end of a successful Olympics.  And what a final week.  Canada picked up 8 golds (!) since the last MMS. Last Monday the papers were talking about the Own the Podium being a failure and how we should have never done it, but I think as this amazing week has come to an end it looks like we did kick some ass (and as I read on twitter, technically we do own all the podiums).

And what a hockey game!  Wow. I don’t think they could have scripted it any better. Overtime, Crosby, against the States. If I worked for the NHL I would have that running in all my commercials non-stop with some comment like “Do you know what you’re missing?”. If they cut it with the simultaneous shots of Robson square/ the Molson house/Toronto/everywhere with a TV just erupting then they would have a hit commercial.

The closing ceremonies kinda sucked if you ask me. I enjoyed the athletes march and all that (intro to Sochi etc), but the obvious lip-syncing for the entire intro part (where are we? oh yeah, Vancouver) annoyed me, and I didn’t really like how they did the whole try to be comedians part. I did like Mr. Fox coming out and saying “Hi, I’m Mike” and getting a huge cheer (and Shatner was awesome as well…go watch Free Enterprise). Now as for the “concert”, I am aware that I don’t have the most common taste of music, but what they had there was crap (although Alanis had a nice dress on). The only band that interested me in the slightest was the Marie-Mai. And we all know why that was…the guitar was the closest thing to music that I like.

All in all, the Olympics were a massive success, and I’m glad that the world got to see us drinking from the pitcher on the way to interviews, partying in the streets, kicking ass in the sports and just being all around awesome. Also, for all of the athletes who made it to represent our country, congrats. Win or lose, you made the whole country proud.

As for NHL standings, they are the same as last week.

In the pool, the “week” finally ended which leaves Racki in first, I am in second and Trogdor is in fourth.

Medal Standings

Canada finishes 3rd with 26 medals (14 gold, 7 silver and 5 bronze). Also added the medals per capita numbers.

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total Per Capita (Medal/Million)
United States 9 15 13 37 0.12 (309 mil)
Germany 10 13 7 30 0.37 (81 mil)
Canada 14 7 5 26 0.76 (34 mil)
Norway 9 8 6 23 4.6 (5 mil)
Austria 4 6 6 16 2 (8 mil)

Canada Medal Winners

Marianne St. Gelais – Speed Skating 500m – Silver

Alexandre Bilodeau – Men’s Moguls – Gold
Jenn Heil – Ladies Moguls – Silver
Mike Robertson – Men’s Snowboard Cross – Silver
Kristina Groves – Ladies Speed Skating 3000m – Bronze

Other headlines

Oilers are back (meh, and I still have tickets to two games).  And practicing (much needed).  Also the deadline is in a few days so that should be interesting, although I think ultimately disappointing. We need a massive overhaul of the team, and I don’t think it will be done. A couple of pieces may be moved here or there, but all in all we should be seeing the same basic team for the rest of the season. I don’t think they will be January terrible, but will probably lose more than they win.

Oh, and Lubo is a cheater. Pissed dirty during the Olympics. (Really not that serious, but lets blow it out of proportion)

And Khabibulin is being charged with EXTREME drunk driving as he blew a 0.15 (or greater…twitter wasn’t exactly big on details). Holy crap.

14 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings – Olympics are Done”

Wow, I love the per capita count… NorweiganOiler, be proud!!!

Now bring on the Oilers!!!! Should be amazing….

3. Trogdor says:

Looked up the numbers since I was curious and looks like viewership was about 1 in 3 in both Canada and the US. Thought we’d win that one, but good to see there was interest South of the border as well.

4. mrgod2u says:

Interestingly along with the Medals per capita count is the “alternate scoring count” where a gold counts 3 points, silver 2, bronze 1, we win big time.

They usually tally them this way in the UK (and in the States when counting it that way puts the US on top)

So hopefully the Oilers version of the “Cash for Clunkers” program will be “Plugs for Picks”

Ya the US are still on top with the 3-2-1 medal count thing, but either way, I’m happy with how well the country did.

Well it’s official; The Russian propoganda machine is in fifth gear.

Yah, it couldn’t have been that your team just didn’t show up.. man, some people.

I find it pretty funny to tell you the truth. Could it be that Russian hockey is not as good right now as Canadian? Hmmmm. NHL>KHL.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: We were ok…;) No matter how many million, only a few compete at top level in each country anyway. From pure randomness, it looks awe-riffic though :P

Chucker: It’s Pravda, they’re all about ‘truth’ and have been since Trotsky founded that atrocity of a paper.

I asked one of the ladies that works here (she’s originally from Russia). Unfortunately she’s too out of touch with the motherland, but said that it used to be the national paper. Figured it’s probably slipped a bit but thought it would still be akin to the Journal here. But also admitted its been 4 years since she’s read it, so anything could have changed. Also said that she just has been hearing everyone making excuses for the team there, and also bagging on the team as well.

11. NorwegianOiler says:

It was the Bolshevik speakerphone for over 80 years, and it’s name (Pravda) literally means ‘truth’, which is kind of the media equivalent to totalitarian states with ‘democratic republic’ in their name :P

From what I know now, it’s ‘independent’ from the state, but what that actually means for its credibility is unknown to me :P

Yeah, good old Trotsky. Pravda “Truth” was indeed a propoganda/state controlled “media” source. The Russians have tried to perpetuate it as an independent entity, but as we’ve seen, everything that was old in the USSR is now new again in Russia, especially the state paranoia and need for chest thumping.

We learned all about Soviet politics in high school and I also did in my University studies. I took a few political sciences classes and also had an economics proff from Russia. He was hillarious.

I find Russia a puzzling political creature. They want to have the veil of democracy, when nothing is further from the truth, it’s basically exactly the same as it was in the USSR except with an open economy now and they want to move forward and be recognized as an world leader, yet they cannot move past all the same pitfalls of the old systems.

I expect Sochi will be very interesting. Russia wants to wow the world, but Sochi is in the middle of the largest arms and drugs smuggling and sales corridors in the world. Should be interesting. Not to mention a few near by neighbors who like to terrorize them…

chucker: They want to have the veil of democracy

Steve-O: I actually think the opposite. I bet they feel that democracy hurt them, and they want a return to when they were 1a or 1b on the world stage.Putin keeps taking power, and they keep giving it to him because its felt that he is restoring that greatness to Russia.

Kind of what I was going at. They want the “image” of a progressive democracy/open economy but the old dictatorship is firmly entrenched. The control of the media there is astounding. Lots of reporters routinely get threatened, and lots have been killed.

I agree. They are tightening their grip for sure. What’s old is new again.