By , March 21, 2010 10:34 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks
logo Edmonton Oilers 5 FINAL logo San Jose Sharks 1
22-42-7 Record 43-18-10
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Mar 21, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: SNET

With the Oilers all but guaranteed to pick 1 or 2 now, things feel a bit more loose in Oiler-land. No more cheering for losses by anyone from this point forward. They currently sit 13 points behind the Leafs with only 11 games left to play. They’re finishing dead last. An interesting stat I heard last game is that in three of the 4 drafts since the lottery pick was instituted, the last place team has picked first overall. So the odds are in our favor to get who we want. From this point forward, let’s just hope for some exciting hockey that shows promise for next year.

The Oilers face the Sharks possibly at the right time. They’ve lost their last 4 outings. Nabokov has struggled since coming back from the Olympics (and consequently is ruining my pool numbers). The Oilers are coming off a tough win vs. the Red Wings on Friday in which they were unable to hold a 2-0 lead and were forced to go to the shootout.

Prediction: I will regret dressing Nabokov in the Yahoo pool…. 4-2 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Cogliano-Brule

22.1 PP% 17.8
85.2 PK% 77.1
32.2 S/G 28.3
31.3 SA/G 32.4
55.9 FO% 46.8

GAME NOTES

- The Sharks have won all 3 meetings so far this year.
- Chris Minard has been sent back to Springfield, that means someone will be taking his place. According to the Oilers Twitter, it’s not likely going to be O’Sullivan. Does that mean Mike Comrie is back in? According to Quinn, Comrie sat out the last game because he wanted to rotate a veteran out each game.
- Dubnyk will get another start tonight.

61 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, San Jose Sharks 1 – Mar 21, 2010 @ 6:00 PM – SNET – Game 72”

1. MetalOil says:

LOL Best GDT pic off the season. I still remember how the Sharks stole the last game that was in Edmonton. Hopefully the Oil players remember this as well. go out for payback and really give it to them from behind :)

Also for anyone wanting to catch the Falcons game today its on ATDHE at 1:00 Edmonton time.

I hope someone rocks Heatley. And the Oilers go out and get the win and allow the yotes to overtake the division lead

I did a double take when I read this, but:

“Patrick O’Sullivan (hand) and Sheldon Souray (hand) should return shortly.”

Sheldon Souray almost back??? (Oh and POS too :P)

4. Puritania says:

Okay Peckham do me a solid and hammer Heatley into a fine paste, hope Pecks pots a goal as well.

Man it feels weird cheering for wins now instead of losses, I’ve missed it heh.

I think these newer defenders (Peckham, Whitney, Johnson) will be ok with throwing a hit unlike Vishnovsky. Hopefully DD can grab another win, that would be nice. I’m going 4-3 Oilers in the SO tonight, goals by Brule, Gagner and Stortini, SO winner by Robert Nilsson, DD gets his 2nd win, Sharks get goals from Thornton, Clowe and Blake.

6. MetalOil says:

Maybe the Devels can loan us Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond and Cam Janssen from the Blues to beat the royal snot out Heat-Me. just like they did to each other last night. In case you missed it, a link to fight is posted in General Discussion. It was a great scrap, Fight of the year in my books.

7. Puritania says:

Shit that was an epic scrap! Don’t see too many of those anymore. Nice to see ‘em share a smile after the fight.

Leblond tagged Janssen quite a few times there, gotta give Cam credit though he can take a punch. Great fight, thanks for pointing it out MO :)

8. MetalOil says:

Did anyone hear about what happened to former Oiler coach Ron Low?
    Hear is the story:
    Here’s to a speedy recovery Ron.

Also Like Jim Matheson’s proposal to land Bostons pick. I would have no problem trading Hemsky for it ether although I would rather try and trade for a pick a slot or two down, keep Hemsky and draft Nino. I would also target Nino’s Swiss WJHC teamate Conz(goalie) with one of our 2nd round picks.

9. MetalOil says:

Yeah Nilsson !!! nice move !!!
    I have flip flopped a lil bit on Nilson and hope he is on the team next year (depending on trade returns). However I will always be wary of his game and effort pulling a disappearing act.

2-0!!! Great start so far.

11. MetalOil says:

Penner !!! 2 zip.
    Wow with the Yotes leading the Stars right now they could end up in a first place tie in the west by the end of the night.

Penners 100th too !!!

12. MetalOil says:

Talking about disappearing acts it looks like the Sharks are right on schedule for their end of the season/playoff slump. :)

13. Trogdor says:

Thanks for dressing Nabby tonight Racki. So far so good.

Damn, I knew I shouldn’t have dressed him. grrr.. but at this point I don’t think it matters. For one, I’ve already lost the goaltending stats to Noob.. and also I think i’ve safely locked #1 pre-playoffs.

15. MetalOil says:

I really hope that Jordan does go on to play in the Worlds this year. It would be a great experience for him and be really good for Canada if we happened to find ourselves down a goal or two in the 3rd period of a crucial game :)

I can say this with the utmost sincerity, and it has nothing to do with his “shun” of the Oilers and what some might seem as perceived bitterness over him not waiving his NTC to go to Edmonton, but I truly think Heatley is a douchebag, and could not be happier that he is not an Oiler.

Well said, MetalOil. I hope he gets to go to this year’s tourney too.

18. MetalOil says:

I am going to miss hearing “Ferrrrnannnndoooo Pisaniiiiii” if he ain’t back next season.

this has been a good game

lol…btw, my Heatley rant wasn’t out of nowhere, I’m watching the San Jose feed and they were showing snippets of a sit down interview with him during intermission.

anyways, yeah…this has been a good game, like someone else pointed out it really is a good feeling cheering for wins again, and watching the team actually play well.

21. MetalOil says:

ewww ouch. That fingernail looks painful.

22. Trogdor says:

He’s our resident cyborg now.

lol Trogdor.

And I would have liked to have heard that interview, gr8one. I haven’t really had reason to judge him, other than him shunning E-town.

wow…Phoenix is now tied for first in the Western Conference, and second overall in the NHL.

that will be our spot next year…… :P

Wow, congratulations text from Roli to Dubnyk on his first win. That’s pretty impressive. I wonder if Khabibulin drunk-texted him. LOL

“Hey, congratulations on your first NHL win, Christobal (sic)”

you really think a drunk russian can spell congratulations correctly in a text?

:p

what’s on the back of Doobies mask? I can’t make it out on my shitty feed.

Wow, what a gorgeous goal.. all 3 on that checking line made a great play of some sort there… nice feed by Pisani, cross seam… and ditto for Moreau, and Horcoff with a nice finish.

gr8one: you really think a drunk russian can spell congratulations correctly in a text?:p

OK, how’s this:
    “Hallo, Christobal… conggards on win! $3 highballs at Saffire.. be there now”

Shit, Man down… that’s a bad hit for Peckham. I hope he’ll be OK.

Weak call on 77.

Johnson! First as an Oiler? P.s., Nabby sucks.

edit: wait, that’s his second as an Oiler, I think.

Racki:
    OK, how’s this:
    “Hallo, Christobal… conggards on win! $3 highballs at Saffire.. be there now”

haha…yeah, much better. lol

Ahh fuckkkk, shutout broken. I was really hoping Doobie would get the shut out.

37. MetalOil says:

Wow the Sharks are losing their Cup Contender status in a hurry.

Yah, seriously.. 5-1… yikes. Who predicted that one??

Racki: Ahh fuckkkk, shutout broken. I was really hoping Doobie would get the shut out.

yeah, me too…but he will have a 2 game winning streak!!!

YAH!!!! Comrie!!!

Comrie, I hope he’s back next year.

42. MetalOil says:

It may have been a feather weight bout but Nichol went down like a brick. Atta boy Mike!!

really really good game

Racki: First as an Oiler?

3rd

45. MetalOil says:

Defiantly the Oilers best game of the year, By far.
    I think the biggest change has been a balanced blue line. I would like to see the same mix of defenders next season and that includes re-signing Aaron Johnson. I am starting to get a lil bit more optimistic about next season( Oh no, I have said that before and got burned).

Steve-O:
    3rd

3rd?! I corrected above saying 2nd.. but I didn’t know it was his 3rd already. Damn!

Steve-O: really really good game

Game of the year.

MetalOil: Defiantly the Oilers best game of the year, By far.

Agreed on all of that!

Ok – I only made it in the door in time to see Comrie deck Nichol. So yah it sounds like I missed the best game of the season? Thankfully my thoughtful hubby recorded the game!

So cool, congrats to Devan – 2 in a row! SJS should have traded for a decent goalie to bail out Nabby, ha!

Yes, you missed a wild one. It got better as the game went on too. Doobie was a couple of minutes away from a shutout, as well. Dang.

I still say with healthy Hemsky and Souray(or an equivalent replacement if he’s traded), a top pick, Eberle, and a full season of Khabi and low expectations this team could be very dangerous next year, especially if Penner doesn’t have any sort of regression.

I still think it it’s astonishing that Penner is likely going to be a 30 goal/point and a plus player on a terrible yeam, with not so good linemates at times that revolved constantly around him all year, with a full season of Hemsky and a good center I don’t see why he can’t be a 40 goal/80-90 point player.

with the emergence of Brule/Potulny and if Gagner finally has the breakout season I think he will we should have strong secondary scoring, and we already have a much more balanced D, and as everyone knows we will have tons of experienced role players that we can count on for depth and grit and even some skill like Stone, JFJ, Pouliot and I think we are going to have a nice balanced team that I can’t help but get excited about for next year.