By , March 21, 2010 10:34 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks
logo Edmonton Oilers 5 FINAL logo San Jose Sharks 1
22-42-7 Record 43-18-10
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Mar 21, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: SNET

With the Oilers all but guaranteed to pick 1 or 2 now, things feel a bit more loose in Oiler-land. No more cheering for losses by anyone from this point forward. They currently sit 13 points behind the Leafs with only 11 games left to play. They’re finishing dead last. An interesting stat I heard last game is that in three of the 4 drafts since the lottery pick was instituted, the last place team has picked first overall. So the odds are in our favor to get who we want. From this point forward, let’s just hope for some exciting hockey that shows promise for next year.

The Oilers face the Sharks possibly at the right time. They’ve lost their last 4 outings. Nabokov has struggled since coming back from the Olympics (and consequently is ruining my pool numbers). The Oilers are coming off a tough win vs. the Red Wings on Friday in which they were unable to hold a 2-0 lead and were forced to go to the shootout.

Prediction: I will regret dressing Nabokov in the Yahoo pool…. 4-2 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Cogliano-Brule

22.1 PP% 17.8
85.2 PK% 77.1
32.2 S/G 28.3
31.3 SA/G 32.4
55.9 FO% 46.8

GAME NOTES

- The Sharks have won all 3 meetings so far this year.
- Chris Minard has been sent back to Springfield, that means someone will be taking his place. According to the Oilers Twitter, it’s not likely going to be O’Sullivan. Does that mean Mike Comrie is back in? According to Quinn, Comrie sat out the last game because he wanted to rotate a veteran out each game.
- Dubnyk will get another start tonight.

61 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, San Jose Sharks 1 – Mar 21, 2010 @ 6:00 PM – SNET – Game 72”

Yah, even the Sportsnet panel were giving their raves over the Oil for next year. It’s hard not to think positively of this team’s future. Especially once we get Taylor Hall! :P

So again, I’ll point out that the Oilers write up today said Souray was due back soon… *shocked*

2. Puritania says:

Only game of the year I missed that wasnt PPV. Had some family over so I missed this one.

Watched the Highlights…Man that looked like an awesome fuckin’ game. I’ll have to watch it on the ol’ Oilers in an hour on Snet, not the same as watching it all live but oh well.

Got to see all the shit games and missed a great effin game.
    *Sad Panda Face*

They just said on NHL on the Fly that Peckham has a separated shoulder. Tough season for him, starts and ends it injured.

Oh btw that’s cool that Roli texted DD after his SO win.

4. MetalOil says:

Damn that sucks about Peckham. Anyone know the time frame for a separated shoulder? You would have to think it would be longer for a physical play like peckham???

LOL as I write this a fighter has to get his shoulder poped back into place. Tough guy, he is going to continue on.

I kind of figured he separated it.. he looked to be in a lot of pain when he went into the boards from that check, and it just had separated shoulder written all over it. Damn it.

That should make him done for the season, I’m sure… and I think those kinds of injuries can be a bit of a bitch. It depends on the degree of the injury, and if I’m not mistaken injuries not involving breaks can sometimes be tough to judge. I would think at bare minimum, he will be out for 4 weeks, which means he’s done this year. But I’m no doctor…. but yah, don’t expect him back this year.

Great win last night! Enjoys every bit of it! Penner with 27 now on the season, I said he could hit 30, prove me right Pens! I’m really looking forward to next season and think we will be a dangerous team.

I think many of us said he could hit 40, until he completely tanked the second half.. oh well, here’s hoping for at least the 30 milestone!

I still say under the circumstances of playing on such a terrible, injury riddled team,and a revolving door of linemates that the fact the Penner is a + player and will likely have a 30 goal/60 point season is pretty fucking amazing and way beyond any pre-season expectations…

if someone had of told any one of us in the pre-season that Penner would have the numbers he has right now playing half a season without Hemsky, they would have been a laughing stock.

Like I said in another thread, if he does not regress, I see no reason why Penner cannot be a 40 goal/80-90 point player with a full season of Hemsky and a good center, and considering his size and strength with the puck he should be the last player we consider trading.

I think for me, I’ve always seen two things in Penner… one… he quits easily.. unfortunately (when the going gets tough, he can sometimes disappear). But on the positive side, he’s generally one of the best players on the ice – very defensively responsible, has underrated speed, is a gamebreaker when he is on, and he makes teammates better. OK technically that is actually six things. :P

Anyways, I’m in no rush to see him go. It sounds odd, but I don’t think I’d be excited to see Penner + Gilbert traded for another top pick. We have to be able to give all these up and comers ice time! Plus I think Penner would rule paired up with Hall/Seguin and another skill player. We need him to open up ice for our players.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing the Oilers trade for another young d-man. I would love someone like a Pietrangelo, for example.

10. Ktown says:

I think Penner’s “quit” showed up dramatically last season. Not too bad his first season, and a little bit now at the end of this “lost” season.

I loved the fire he came with to start this year, but I do see a bit of “give up” in him now. In fairness, I think he was one of the last players to throw in the towel this year, so I’m willing to give him a pass.

I don’t think it’s a smart idea to let him go just yet. Give him the next season to see what he can do(assuming a more competitive team) with a healthy roster. If he comes to play the way he started this year, I think he’ll be worth the re-sign. If not, he’ll probably be decent trade bait at next season’s deadline…

Yah I totally give Penner a pass on giving up for the same reason.. really the whole team quit this year. He held it together for quite a while though. I think it wasn’t until the January meltdown that he started to give up.

They really should stop shopping him though. I think his abilities outside his offense are highly underrated.