By , March 19, 2010 10:21 am
-={ Puttin’ On The Foil Presents… }=-
The player to watch tonight..
logo Edmonton Oilers 3 FINAL (SO) logo Detroit Red Wings 2
21-42-7 Record 34-23-12
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Mar 19, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: TSN

If a team falls in the standings and there is no one around to watch it, are we better off? I think so. I’ll probably watch the game though, being the die hard I am. But my game watching routine has gone from watching like a hawk at every play, and doing a lot of rewinding/replaying to having it on in the background while I do something else. Can we watch Eberle and the Falcons somehow? Perhaps that internet link that’s always floating around…

Anyways, enough of that tone. I’ll hope for wins from here on out. I demand entertainment. The #1 pick overall (lottery pick aside) has pretty much been settled. The Oilers are currently 13 points behind the Leafs with a mere 12 games left (the Oil do have a game in hand, to note). I can’t see them getting 13 goals in that time period, let alone 13 wins.. so it should be sealed. But nonetheless, I’d like to start seeing some wins here and a glimmer of hope for next year.

Prediction? Pierre McGuire will crush on Theo Peckham tonight, James Duthie will say something monumentally funny that the whole panel will laugh at and Craig MacTavish will feel sorry for the Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Cogliano-Brule

2.58 GA/G 3.43
19.8 PP% 17.8
83.3 PK% 76.9
32.9 S/G 28.4
29.9 SA/G 32.4
51.2 FO% 46.8

137 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Detroit Red Wings 2 (SO) – Mar 19, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – TSN – Game 71”

1. Oilersman says:

Penner, Cogliano and Brule; Minard, Gagner and Comrie; Moreau, Horcoff and Pisani; Nilsson, Potulny and Pouliot. As per Dan Tencer! Just thought If you wanted to update :P

thanks! i had no idea what they were, just went with the most recent lineups.. will update.

Jeez that picture makes me feel old.

4. Ktown says:

Wings were just out here in Kelowna for two open practices. Apparently raised over 7.5 tons of food for the food bank. A buddy of mine was in the players’ box, taking pictures of the team (and they used his shots on the Wings site).

Just cool to have a taste of the NHL again…

5. MetalOil says:

Jeez that picture makes me feel old.

Is that Stick made of Wood?
    Sorry I know that was cheezy.

LOL! that actually was pretty funny MO… man, “Uncle Joey” was one cheesie mofo.

7. Oilersman says:

Update… Comrie probable to NOT play in tonight’s contest according to Quinn…

8. MetalOil says:

That whole show was the definition of cheese. Same storyline every show. One of the Kids gets in trouble, a disagreement ensues and it gets solved with tears and a big family hug.

9. Ktown says:

I’m still harboring resentment to that show for basically launching Bob Saget’s “Career”…

Of course, it’s funny to look at what happened to all the stars afterward… Whoda thunk the most successful careers to come from Full House would be the babies with no lines..? LOL.

11. Puritania says:

saget is one of the funniest comedians i have ever seen…watch his normal standup instead of that tv crap (full house and americans videos or some such jazz)dude is crude…in fact if you can, watch the roast of bob saget for some really funny stuff

Agree completely. As well do yourself a favor and rent The Aristocrats. That movie is bloody wonderful.

Make sure you rent “The Aristocrats” and not “The Aristocats”. Many a poor sap has made that mistake and been bitterly disappointed.

Sounds like Comrie is out, tonight.

Its hard to listen to these guys from TSN tell us that there is no hope for next season :( …..Just still gonna hope for the playoffs next season and look forward to the draft this year and hope tambi can pull off this re-build and turn us into a legit contender (see Chicago) Anyway I’ll be watching tonight and rooting for a Win, we aren’t catching the leafs so lets just hope we don’t finish as the worst team ever (that would suck)

Cogliano skkewers… from Brule

Agree BO… i’m watching, hoping for a win.. or at least an entertaining game. Nice pass by Brule on that goal.

16. MetalOil says:

Yeah !!! Lots of Oil fans want a Wing win just so we screw Calgary but I want a win. Its not up to us to decide Calgarys fate.

Yah I couldn’t care less what happens to the Flames. They’d likely be out in round 1 anyways. I want a good game from the Oil tonight.

18. DropIt says:

Yuor looking at the #1 Oiler fan for the next 4 hours!!!!

GO OILERS GO!!!!!!!!

Whitney scores!! First as an Oiler.

20. MetalOil says:

Whitney’s first as an Oiler!!! Man the wings look terrible out there.

21. MetalOil says:

Yuor looking at the #1 Oiler fan for the next 4 hours!!!!
    GO OILERS GO!!!!!!!!

Consider this as the final piece in that Johnson-Staois trade :)

22. DropIt says:

Wow, Dubnyk(sp?) story is eerilt reminisant of the McElhinney story….

no wins all year as a backup until late in the season….
    If he could pull it off tonight, i would be incredibly happy

23. Trogdor says:

Guess I better log in since they keep lighting the lamp. I guess if we’re on the outs, we’ll help our awkward little brother make the playoffs.

24. DropIt says:

Consider this as the final piece in that Johnson-Staois trade

If this win comes as a package in that deal… well worth the price… even if you raked us a bith with the actual deal

25. Oilersman says:

Good showin by the boys in Blue so far! Let’s keep it up!

26. DropIt says:

wow, a rare gaff from Zetterberg.

If Stortini could take a Zetterberg or Datsyuk out for the rest of the season, i will honestly be an Oiler mascot-for-a-day

dress me up and parade me in public

27. MetalOil says:

Oh wait……. We play the wings once more after this. How about if we win that one then you guys agree to take Horcoff for a 7th rounder in the off season :) :) :) deal ???

So Springfield lost in OT (not sure if it was mentioned in the other thread). But MetalOil and BostonOiler say Eberle at least had a great game (1G, 1A?)

29. DropIt says:

from what i hear in the Flames circle. Staios actually texted the entire team and mailed in a favour.

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but would be great if it did

I am sure the Oil had that plan in mind anyways, even though they generally play with little heart these days. The remainder of the season they will be trying to play spoiler, no matter who they play, I would guess.

31. DropIt says:

Oh wait……. We play the wings once more after this. How about if we win that one then you guys agree to take Horcoff for a 7th rounder in the off season deal ???

unless you can figure out a way to guarantee us a Stanley Cup, there is no price that i would take Horcoff….

so if you can figure out a way to hand us that cup, ill be happy to take that money laundering douche off your team

32. MetalOil says:

He did. My feed cut out at the beginning of the 3rd. Springfield was up 3-1 at the time. Anyways on the radio they said that Eberle had a great chance to win it in OT but got robbed by the Wilks Berry Goalie then WB went the other way and scored the OT winner. Eberle was not only producing points but was playing well defensively blocking shots and had good positioning as well. Those little things will make a big difference for him. I could not see any issues with his size.

33. DropIt says:

I would think so too… there is always the conversation of “they are proffesionals, they always play to win”and i dont think the fact hat Staios’ text would have made a difference in any fact… but i like to think it did :P

:lol:

Hey what do you guys think of him there anyways? How’s he been?

35. MetalOil says:

How do you think the Oiler players would react if Coach Quinn in his pre game speech said to lose this one to screw over our rivals??? I would personally refuse to take the Ice if my coach said this.

36. DropIt says:

Hey what do you guys think of him there anyways? How’s he been?

I have bben very happy with the style of play that i expected from him….

The hard nosed, tough as nails attitude and play.

Minus the occasional bone-headed penalty from time to time

DropIt:
    I have bben very happy with the style of play that i expected from him….The hard nosed, tough as nails attitude and play.Minus the occasional bone-headed penalty from time to time

I think he really kept the boneheaded penalties down while he was here. But he depending on who you ask, he fit the rest of the description while here though.. even this year.

38. DropIt says:

39. Trogdor says:

Is Pierre less grating tonight because they are winning or is he even around?

DropIt: Im also waiting for his first fight. He has had tons of opportunities but they keep getting stopped….

He didn’t do much this year, but he had a pretty epic shift last year in which he hammered someone, then took out some more rage on Clutterbuck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDG96TT2pfA

Good play there by the “top line” again.

43. Trogdor says:

Another close one there. I have Wings in my pool, not Oilers… Still good to see the boys show some fight.

44. MetalOil says:

Racki: So Seguin’s Whalers lost the first game of this playoff round (vs. the Soo Greyhounds). Hopefully they can battle back and win the series and potentially face Windsor for a Hall/Seguin series.

That would be something else and also could be the difference between who goes number 1. The Oil would also save $ on the scouting staffs travel expenses :)

45. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: Man I love Peckhams game. not as much other skills but his hitting reminds me of a young Scott Stevens.

Oh, and unlike most agitators, he can and will back it up.

47. Oilersman says:

Doobie really wanted that one back…

48. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    His meanness is something we’ve lacked here for a long time. But I also really love the fact that he’s an agitator too. He’s cocky as hell and likes to chirp.Oh, and unlike most agitators, he can and will back it up.

Yeah For sure. I really wish they would get rid of the instigator rule for 2 reasons. 1) there would be not as much retaliatory head hunting(see Wisnewski-Seabrook incident) & 2) Cowardly agitators like Ruutu would not be in the league.

49. MetalOil says:

This Eberle Goal coming up was pretty nice. I’m getting my PVR ready !!!

50. Ktown says:

This passive defense is scaring me. I understand guys are really trying to stay at home and make the Wings go around them, but on loose pucks, that’s awful tough to win races..

whoo… San Jose coming back on the Flames, too… things are getting interesting…

WOW… Dubnyk with a big stop there!!