By , March 16, 2010 8:49 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Minnesota Wild
logo Edmonton Oilers 2 FINAL logo Minnesota Wild 4
21-41-7 Record 33-29-6
Location: Xcel Energy Center
Date: Mar 16, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: SNET

Well, I didn’t get to watch much of last nights game. I did see Peckham take several jersey punches before body slamming Boll though. Was good to see the linesman snuggling up with Boll afterwards. Seriously though, that was potentially pretty dangerous, with Boll hitting his head on the ice like that.

Anyways, on to tonight’s game. The Oilers take on the Wild in St. Paul. The Oilers are currently on a two game losing streak and are 3-6-1 in their last 10. The Wild have won their last 2 and are 4-4-2. The last time these two teams faced (11 days ago), Deslauriers stole one with a 2-1 shootout win. Look for him to play again tonight and hopefully have a similar game.

I’ll call a 3-2 win for the Oil on this one. Have I been right yet this season? I think my record is about 1-68… and I complain about the Oilers’ poor record!

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Pouliot-Gagner-Minard
Penner-Cogliano-Brule
Moreau-Horcoff-Comrie
Nilsson-Potulny-Stortini

Gilbert-Whitney
Chorney-Strudwick
Johnson-Peckham

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Minnesota Wild Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

– To come.
– Updated: admittedly, this is never coming.. but I’m pretty sure whatever asshats the Wild assemble will beat us on the scoresheet.

TEAM COMPARISON

17.8 PP% 19
76.6 PK% 82.2
28.3 S/G 28.5
32.4 SA/G 28.8
46.8 FO% 53.3

GAME NOTES

– To come as news comes.

34 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Minnesota Wild 4 – Mar 16, 2010 @ 6:00 PM – SNET– Game 70”

Line of the year from Wanye over at Oilersnation: “Dubnyk is one win away from his first NHL win”

Oilers Win 4-2.

Don’t click on this link if you want to watch the Leafs/Ottawa game. Not sure where that url came from :P

Think I’ll be tuning into the battle of Ontario. Should be fight filled and gritty.

Great save by JDD there

I don’t think JDD gets nearly enough credit, considering the circumstances he’s been thrown into this year, the kid hardly played last year after the three goalie debacle, and so came in this year backing up Khabi, and again doesn’t really get much of a chance until Khabi’s injury and then gets thrown into the fire of a terrible team with a terrible defense and overall has played pretty damned good, you put any goalie in this league behind this team and they’re going to look bad at times, especially with the mental/confidence beating it must have been over the course of this disaster.

I still think he has some huge potential going forward.

I hope so. Not really sold on him either way (as being bad or good). Still a bit of a crapshoot. But he does put up some really good performances on some nights. I really liked what i saw from him last year, as seldom as his appearance was.

yeah…I wouldn’t say I’m totally sold on him, but I certainly think he is still showing more upside than down, and with some confidence and a better team in front of him I would not be surprised at all if he rounded into a very good goalie. I certainly don’t think he has done anything this year to lead me to believe that there is no hope for him.

8. MetalOil says:

Was just doing some research looking a past NHL drafts and found this interesting tid bit. Tom Glavine(Former MLB picher) was drafted by the LA Kings in the fourth round of the 1984 NHL draft ahead of both Brett Hull & Luc Robitaille. Just thought that was pretty crazy.

Really weird that I can’t get this game on Centre Ice tonight. I can’t remember the last time that’s happened!

I think I heard that somewhere before. He chose baseball because it wasn’t as hard on the body I think.

11. MetalOil says:

I think I heard that somewhere before.He chose baseball because it wasn’t as hard on the body I think.

Baseball players (Starting Pichers especially) tend to make more $ then Hockey players do. So that might have factored in too him going the baseball route. Wikipedia also says that he is coaching his sons hockey team in Atlanta right now. Nik Antropov’s son also plays on this team.

If he’s concerned about taking it easy on the body, he isn’t right for hockey anyways :P

That is an interesting tidbit you came across there MetalOil. And not sure if it’s because its a weekday game or if it’s because of the record (probably more the record) but this place seems quiet as of late. Racki and POTF staff, you can probably gain a shitload of people to come to POTF if you do in-depth analysis of pre-draft and post draft information. If you’re looking to add more users to the POTF community you’ll have a huge opportunity starting with the draft hype.

Hopefully you guys can attract the same type of crowd that you have been rather than 90% of the crowd type at the OMB.

14. MetalOil says:

Isn’t trowing baseballs at over 100 MPH pretty hard on the arm and shoulders. Why else would they need 4 days rest between starts ?

pooooooooooooooooo

Yah really, it would be nice to have more people that are like you guys that we’ve got hanging out here already. If it’s the negative OMB-type people that only serve to drive people nuts, we can do without them (they wouldn’t last long here anyways).

I would have to think that its a toss up between pitcher and catcher as to which is harder on the body. The other positions are probably pretty far down the line though. Other than that, it’s no contest as to which sport is harder on the body.

Well yeah, I just remember an interview where (I think it was Glavine) was just saying the daily grind of the physicality of hockey made him choose ball. As a pitcher, you know you are going to be putting a strain on certain muscles. With hockey, you have other players exerting their force on you so you don’t know what’s going to happen game in and game out.

Ethan Moreau is such a dumbass. Cross check, cross check, cross check, cross check… think you’ll get a penalty Moreau?

Sorry.. you can tell I’m not a fan of his ability to take inopportune penalties.

You know it’s really annoying that I’ve been watching NHL on the Fly for the last hour hoping to see some highlights and they’ve gone to some games twice and no mention of the Oiler/Wild game.

Well far be it for the Oilers to receive any sort of attention :P

that brodziak guy would be pretty good to have on the team. i mean he’s cheap, young, good on the draws, knows what to do in his own zone and can chip in a few goals here and there.

where the fuck is moreau going?

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…tulny

Even without Ovie the Caps are fuckin’ scary.

that brodziak guy would be pretty good to have on the team.i mean he’s cheap, young, good on the draws, knows what to do in his own zone and can chip in a few goals here and there.

Yah it was a great idea to send him packing..

Yah it was a great idea to send him packing..

That ticked me off too? What’d we get a 5th/6th round pick? Was that a pathetic attempt at salary dump?

Him + our 6th for their 4th and 5th (2009 picks for all).

Big waste of time, if you ask me.. but it got us Olivier Roy (and Kyle Bigos, although that one uh.. not so sure about that one, but i guess you never know until they get a shot).

At any rate, it seemed like a pretty odd decision.

SO I see from NHL.com that we lost 4-2. Boo. Night all, thanks.

Oilers Win 4-2.

Well, I was half right.

30. MetalOil says:

Another loss, Hummm.
    We need 8 points before the season ends to not tie for the worst points total since the lockout(when possible 3 point game came into effect) Flyers-2006-2007/56 points

Well on a good note, we’re pretty far from the actual NHL worst record, which according to wiki answers is the Washington Capitals from their inaugural season in 1974-75 with a record of 8-67-5. Jebus. That would be PAINNNFUL to watch.

inaugural season

I think we should toss aside records from expansion teams, and then see where we stack up. They at least have an excuse.

Yah, that might be pretty scary. I’d guess it’s at least top 10 since the 80+ game schedule. Maybe top 5.