By , March 13, 2010 8:59 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Toronto Maple Leafs
logo Edmonton Oilers 4 FINAL logo Toronto Maple Leafs 6
21-39-7 Record 22-33-12
Location: Air Canada Centre
Date: Mar 13, 2010 @ 5:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

The battle of the basement takes place tonight. Who will you cheer for? It will feel dirty cheering for Toronto for a lot of people, so I think most will cheer Edmonotn on. But at the same time, having some extra separation would be nice. The Oilers are coming off of a wild one versus the Habs on Thursday. It ended up being settled in the shootout (5-4 final). The Leafs have won a couple in a row, which has given them a 7 point lead on Edmonton with 15 games remaining for both teams. A regulation loss tonight could all but seal the deal on 30th overall place for the Oilers.

Prediction 3-2 OT win for Edmonton.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Pouliot-Gagner-Minard
Penner-Cogliano-Brule
Moreau-Horcoff-Comrie
Nilsson-Potulny-Stortini

Gilbert-Whitney
Chorney-Strudwick
Johnson-Peckham

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Toronto Maple Leafs Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Kulemin – Bozak – Kessel
Stalberg – Grabovski – Caputi
Mitchell – Hanson – Lundmark
Primeau – Wallin – Orr

Beauchemin – Phaneuf
Kaberle – Schenn
Gunnarsson – Finger

Gustavsson

GAME NOTES

– Ryan Whitney is questionable for tonight’s game, Ethan Moreau is probable. As such, the lineup above will likely change.
– Update @ 10:00MST: Moreau and Whitney are both on the ice for practice today.
– Update @ 10:50MST: Lines updated, per TSN’s Ice Chips.
– Also per TSN’s Ice Chips: Ethan Moreau skated at practice on Saturday. He will play against the Leafs; head coach Pat Quinn says a decision will be made this afternoon about who comes out of the lineup.
– Update @ 13:30 MST: Moreau in, Pisani out. Whitney is also in.
– Credit to Zackman35 for the new GDT pic!

SCORING BY PERIOD
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 0 2 2 4
MTL TOR 2 3 1 6
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 10 11 8 29
MTL TOR 13 15 19 47

56 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 4, Toronto Maple Leafs 6 – Mar 13, 2010 @ 5:00 PM – CBC – Game 68”

1. Oilersman says:

As much as I want the Oilers to win this one, it can and WILL solidify the 30th spot if we get a loss tonight (in regulation would be best). The Oil have battled hard as of late, last game in Montreal was a treat for sure, reminded me of the playoffs for some reason, just so much up tempo to their games as of late, I love the energy!

As for Whitney it looks like Quinn will make a call-up, too bad but like Quinn stated himself “Whitney has sparrow legs, I always encourage guys with legs like that to get out of the way… but oh well it happens”

2. Horpensky says:

Wow the Leafs really blew up their team. They went from Ponakarovski, Hagman, Stajan, Stepniak, and Blake on the top 6 to a bunch of exciting kids that just want to play hockey.

I agree, Oilersman, about this solidifying the Oilers in 30th if they lose (in regulation especially).

That would put them 9 points back, with 14 games to go. That would have to mean a pretty epic winning streak for Edmonton and losing streak for Toronto in order for the teams to swap positions in the standings.

The only question then becomes, who do we draft? Seguin or Hall? (barring a lottery win for another team in the top 5, “forcing” us to pick whichever is left)

Horp if you want to reminisce about the Leafs of yore, look to the Flames lineup. :lol:

4. Oilersman says:

Seguin – Eberle – Hemsky
    Penner – Cogliano – Brule
    Comrie – Horcoff – Pajama Pants (don’t wanna spell it)
    Nilson – Potunly – Jones/Stortini

Something like that I will predict… forwards anyways… discuss.

I think Eberle being slotted at center is a very recent thing, from what I recall. I believe he’s a natural left winger, if I’m not mistaken. I can’t see him playing center at the NHL level, at any rate.

But that all said, I’ve heard some mixed opinions on both guys. Steve-O recently mentioned to me that Seguin currently has a high shooting percentage… that generally isn’t such a good thing (because often that is an indication more of luck than anything, although not necessarily). I think I’d be really happy with either… both players sound pretty good in their own right.

I would tend to agree with you though that Seguin sounds the most appealing right now. Hall probably has the most potential for offensive upside/flair, but Seguin also seems to be doing equally well with less supporting cast.

This blog is new to me and came out of nowhere for me, but I really love their write up on the Hall vs. Seguin debate:

The one good point that I’ve always felt too about Seguin (negatively) is that he’s really appeared out of nowhere this year, whereas Hall has been at the top for a bit, even when Tavares was drafted. Interesting how Seguin has a big edge in even strength goals. That is a huge plus to him. That’s more of an indication that he has less of a supporting cast.

On the other side of the argument, Hall is noted as the better finisher… as you pointed out, its something we’re lacking. Would it be bad to have another finisher in addition to Eberle? Or do we want another playmaker we have an abundance in? It seems that Seguin does has a scoring touch of his own though.

Really, both guys have their big upsides.. I can’t say either is a “safe bet”, but Seguin really does appeal to me as a guy we should pick up.

I hope the Oilers have been scouting these two like a hawk for a while though.

Racki, I think Mac T (one of our main scouts and for good reason) is leaning us towards Seguin. We already have Centers and prospect Centers, we need a top winger, that has ALWAYS been the problem (especially as of late… like past 2-4 years). Seguin will make the Pretty plays with Hemsky on the top line, all you need is a Center who can put the puck home *cough* Eberle *coughI know it’s a far stretch to think Eberle would come in and be a number 1 center, but why not give the kid the shot… aren’t we “rebuilding” anyways?
    Seguin – Eberle – Hemsky
    Penner – Cogliano – Brule
    Comrie – Horcoff – Pajama Pants (don’t wanna spell it)
    Nilson – Potunly – Jones/StortiniSomething like that I will predict… forwards anyways… discuss.

Its a Saturday night, its a 7pm start here…….Do I go out with friends or watch hockey’s two worst teams? Sorry guys lol I won’t be joining in tonight, but since its on NHL net here I’ll find a way to get it on whereever I go. GO OILERS!!!! I hope Whitney plays tonight too, hes been great since coming over and has helped the team play better.

I think you’re confusing Hall and Seguin because Seguin is a natural center. And do you mean Stu Macgregor for our main scouts? Anyways my theory on the draft, if you have one of the top picks (top five), is you pick the best player regardless of what you [b]already[/b] have in the system. From a recent Lowe interview your projected roster looks accurate (not so much lines) but it sounds like they are going to jump start the kids still (MPS, Eberle, 1st Round Pick), which in my opinion is probably not the best idea. Overall I’d go with Seguin, he seems to be panning out a lot better than Hall is, he is not only offensively gifted but also can back it up with a decent defensive game. What really gravitates my interest towards Seguin is the character he brings (by watching quite a few interviews now), he seems to be way more of a leader than a typical “flashy forward”. That’s my take on it oh and I doubt we’ll see Bobby in an Oilers jersey next season. It will take some balls for the scouting staff to pick Seguin, if we get the top pick but I think it will be the best long term choice.

Seguin has more goals, Hall has more points. We all want a goal scorer here. I don’t think we can go wrong with either one of these guys. Hall is that 1st line LW we all want badly, while Seguin is that 1st line Center we want badly. Both can play wing and center tho. I’ll be happy with wither one of them tho, I’ll say that.

Hey Racki/Trogdor/Steve-O, you may want to fix the Leafs’ logo on the GDT chart. =p It’s a little more efficient making those charts than the images isn’t it?

10. Oilersman says:

Yeah lately my heads been out of wack (concussion… sorry… I guess Beer leagues get rough, even for a goalie…) I meant Stu Mcgregor, and yes Hall is the natural center we’ve been looking for, but I still think Seguin takes it…

haha jesus… can you tell I copy paste? I make about 3 mistakes a day on average on this site. hehe

Also, if I’m putting lines together, Penner definitely plays with one of the young new kids (being Hall/Seguin, Eberle and/or MPS). He brings a fairly complete game, although yes, the fitness is still a question. But he’s a guy that can help shelter the new guys, but also won’t hinder them at all… and will likely make them better too.

13. Oilersman says:

As per Dan Tencer 1 min ago… “Sounds like Ryan Whitney is gonna go tonight for the Oilers. A+ for character and effort so far. Good for him.”

Great to see Whitney is in tonight :)

No worries man. I’m guessing you already know this but be extremely careful with your concussion man, went to a concussion seminar a few weeks ago (I think one of the profs/researchers from U of A was presenting), they can be scary things. Take as much time and then some as you need off/whatever the doctor recommends. It’s one thing to re-brake a bone but to suffer back to back concussions without proper time to heal can be severe.

Please baby Jesus. Let the Oilers lose tonight. That is all. :P

16. Oilersman says:

Yeah, grade 1 concussion so it’s fairly mild… altho it is very important (like you noted) to stay healthy, take time off and recover slowly, this isn’t exactly my first one… had a few growing up, nastiest one was Devon Setoguchi playing in Taber one weekend, he teed it up from the hashmarks and the front of my goalie mask was dented in so bad from the puck hitting it, the cage actually touched my nose… Yeah the kids got a good shot, I’d say I witnessed it first hand LOL! Oh it was a grade 3 by the way.. from a slap shot yes.. needless to say it was the hot commodity as I carried my mask into the front of the arena to show it off the parents flocked me like kids on Santa…

17. MetalOil says:

Having a 9 point cushion sounds much more appealing then a 5 point one so I am gonna suck it up and cheer for the Leafs in this one. I figure if we lose today then we can pretty much cheer for wins the rest of the way so…… GO Leafs Go!!!

yup, well put MetalOil. Lose this one in regulation, and they can do their usual last minute, pressure-free run.

19. Oilersman says:

Good chance for Penner to make up and perhaps hit the 30 goal mark (finally) this season. Also good for guys with goals, like Brule trying to hit 20g, same with Gagner, and also no pressure for guys trying to solidify spots for next years lineup… It’s all golden after a big L tonight :)

20. MetalOil says:

It kinda sucks though because it would be nice for Pat Quinn to be successful in his Toronto return but getting the highest draft pick possible out of this crummy season is more important.

Hey Racki, would you be able to put this up instead of the picture you have now? I think it may be a little more entertaining… I tried to make it with the POTF style in mind…

Sure what the heck, Zack.. thanks for the pic ;)

Awesome, now things are rollin’, hehehe.

24. Oilersman says:

That’s so evil… should have a Bruins fan laughing and pointing at Burkie tho, that’d make the pic epic…

I know we all joke about Toronto not having their first pick in the draft, and I certainly will take a lot of satisfaction in them not being bale to call out the name of Hall/Seguin, but really Kessel is still super young and is already a star in this league that IMO with some good linemates very capable of being a 50 goal scorer, so really, I honestly don’t think the Kessel signing/trade was a bad one, as they have a bona fide young NHL star that is already proven.

Poker night tonight so I won’t be around, hopefully the game will be on so I can catch some glimpses. Hope the Oilers can pull out a win!

27. NorwegianOiler says:

Yadayada Seguin, blah blah Hall. ;)

28. DropIt says:

Biggest game for the Oilers all year.. This is a MUST lose…

Also, im finding it quite intruiging that the closer we get to draft day, the more talk of different options we hear… The last 2 months it was all HALL, now its a little indecision…

Will be very interesting the week of the draft…. Personally, I think that there is no wrong decision… but Hall seems like the #1 guy to me… Seguin seems like a more talented Hemsky with a little more scoring touch.

Either way, I dont think position is something that needs to be taken into account, these are the kinds of players that you build a team around.

Even if a win would propel us into drafting 29th overall I’d still want it! Better crush those Leafs into mush, right now!Yadayada Seguin, blah blah Hall. ;)

Potential wins versus the Leafs come twice a year… drafting (potential) franchise players is a rarity, so I’ll take the loss tonight, happily! But I admire your need to win. However with a mere 15 games of the season left, now is not the time to abort the fall for hall/seguin! :P

30. DropIt says:

Does Toronto have a ceremony before every game? jesus

Also, how has Toronto not had the medal ceremony yet? Have they really been on the road since? We had ours 2 days after the Olympics

Yah that surprised me… they must’ve been on the road a while or something.

32. DropIt says:

hmm, Edmonton playing for Seguin

Toronto is all sorts of bad… Boston fans are going to have some pretty good picks this year… Im glad they’re an esatern team

That’s good to see the old team give the coach a salute.

34. DropIt says:

80 playoff games seems like about 80 years ago…

35. DropIt says:

very exciting back and forth though…

Must be funny if you were to compare GDTs from Oilers and Toronto boards…

I couldnt imagine having my team being one of the worst in the league, and my 1st round pick belonging to Vancouver or Edmonton…

Yah really, it’s got to be crappy for Leafs fans right now… nothing to show for it at the end of this season… more failure again.

1-0 Leafs as Kulemin rips it upstairs.

Jeez, in all alone on Deslauriers there. 2-0.

Well, 4-1… so far that top pick (lottery aside) is looking pretty secure.. *tries not to smile*

Ulllltra secure.. 5-1 ;)

Ok – I haven’t made it to poker night yet because work sucks, but what the hell is going on?

I hope you are all happy cheering for the bad guys

Love the anger by Deslauriers there.. kick some ass!

Love the anger by Deslauriers there.. kick some ass!

What did he do? I’m NHL.com ‘ing it b/c I’m still at work at 9:40 in the friggin evening on a Sat night.

I hope you are all happy cheering for the bad guys

The thing about tonight is no matter who you cheer for, you’re cheering for bad guys.

What did he do?I’m NHL.com ‘ing it b/c I’m still at work at 9:40 in the friggin evening on a Sat night.

He got run over on the “6th goal” (disallowed). He got up, sans-mask and looked to be going after anyone and everyone (Orr included). He had some troubles getting his trapper off, or I think he would have popped someone, namely Phaneuf.

Awww, Roli did rub off on him!

Holy shit… Lowe and Burke are putting the past behind them… crrrazzzzy.

To answer DropIt’s question about why Toronto just had their Olympic ceremony now, they did have 3 games at home already since the Oly’s. But I think they delayed the ceremony until now because the other games were vs. american teams. Probably saved it for an all-Canadian matchup.