By , March 8, 2010 11:50 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs Ottawa Senators
logo Edmonton Oilers 1 FINAL logo Ottawa Senators 4
21-38-6 Record 36-25-5
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

Well, the Oilers are coming off 2 wins in a row now. After watching them plod heartlessly through January, it’s nice to see some effort out of everyone right now. I’d like to believe that there has been a big morale and culture shift, however really there shouldn’t be much reason to believe that, as the only guy of the vets from 06 to go was Staios. However, there are a lot of new faces in the line-ups these days, so there is a possibility that this is the case. Even Horcoff, everyone’s favorite goat, has stepped his game up lately. I think, personally, I’d bet that with the trade deadline gone, the guys can relax a fair bit more and play loose. The Senators have won only 1 game in their last 5. So they’ll be hoping to bounce back against a team that is normally considered the free spot on the big card. Not tonight though!

Prediction: 3-1 Oilers

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner — Horcoff — Pisani

15.9 PP% 17.8
84 PK% 76.2
29.6 S/G 28.4
28.5 SA/G 32.3
49.1 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

– Moreau continues to have neck problems.
– For all intents, Ryan Jones should be out for the remainder of the season
– Quinn has mentioned that he will soon talk to Tambellini about a call-up from Springfield. Look for someone to get a big chance while up here. As Quinn himself said, it makes no sense to call a guy up for one game, then send him back down. He’ll be here for a while.
– The Pats only have 3 more games, and then we’ll be seeing Eberle in Springfield.

50 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Ottawa Senators 4 – Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – SNET – Game 66”

You think Reddox will get the call? It was a while ago but last I heard he was lighting it up in the “A”. Jones brought a little grit to the game but not a bit loss on offensive power, not that we really have that much.

Aside from the AHL-lifers, our farm team is pretty crummy, hey? I would guess Reddox would be the guy, or McDonald. Maybe that even opens the door for Eberle later for a 9-game-or-less stint. There are 17 games left in our season, so maybe a guy like Reddox gets an 8-game stint while Eberle gets up to speed a bit in Springfield. Then once there are 9 games left, bring the boy up? I think that would be nice to see…

I don’t think nine games would stunt Eberles development too bad, if at all, unless he gets injured (knock on wood). Mine as well give him a taste of it, I doubt that the brass would have a problem with it cause right now all they can do is sell the future.

4. Horpensky says:

Sens are my other favorite team. One team is driving for the division title, the other is diving for the #1 pick. Easy for me to cheer for one team to win this time!

lol…yeah, that TO game could be funny…everyone trying to get “own goals”.

It’s a catch 22 though. On one hand, we want the top pick… but can you really be happy about the team being a bunch of losers? Can you be mad that they show fight now?

I hate to say it, but I think we sweep this East Coast series. Maybe Ottawa will give us a challenge, but I think we beat Montreal and Toronto handily.

oh yeah…and factoring in Oiler luck,if we get the first overall pick, we’d probably end up picking the dud, so if we get the second or third pick it takes more of the “choice” of the equation…lol.

I’ll be honest, I’m all about Hall and Seguin. I understand Fowler is expected to be a top pick, and I just haven’t seen enough of him, but I’ve never really been one for American defensemen for some reason. I’m probably heavily biased against them because of Gilbert, to be honest. I know there are some decent ones out there like Johnson(s) and Rafalski and others, but I just can’t help but wonder if they’re not defensive/physical enough. If we pick up a d-man, I’m hoping he’s a guy that can play both ends of the rink with equal fortitude. But I don’t know enough about him, and shouldn’t bias him like that, I know.

Btw, NintendoRaider has risen to 11 (16 last month) on Hockeys Future /ISS rankings.

lol…yeah, that TO game could be funny…everyone trying to get “own goals”.and Chucker, as far as the Oilers finishing dead last, I used to pretty much think exactly the same as what you’re saying…but really, to me 29th is just as good, we will still get one of Hall/Seguin, or even if we finish 29th and lose the lottery we still get Fowler, so no matter what we get a great pick…I honestly don’t see having to worry about any other teams being worse than us to make us drop lower than a top 3 pick.

Tell that to Chicago when they could have had Ovechkin or Malkin instead of Cam Barker. I want a real bonafide top tier pick and I’m not sure that exists after no. 2 spot. We’ve sucked for a long time and we need a guy who will be a future impact player. Seguin and Hall look like sure things at this point, Hall even moreso than Seguin IMHO.

I said earlier in the season that the Oilers will even fail at knowing how to fail. I really hope they prove me wrong. Fans will be angry if they don’t get Hall after all this. If we finish 27th or so and then another team moves up the draft…we’re f’d from a PR standpoint and also for a blown opportunity.

If you have to suck, then suck the most. That’s what she said. Otherwise, there was no point to this year. I guarantee you that if Burke had not traded for Kessel, we’d have seen even more deals out of TO for nothing this year because he’d want to secure that top seed in the draft.

On the Knightrider note; Maybe we can trade up with all the picks we have Racki. I’d like to see him here as well.

yeah…you guys make great points, and I totally agree that I would prefer Hall/Seguin, of those two I go back and forth constantly of who I’d rather have, so either of those two would make me very happy.As far as Cam Fowler goes, I agree to a certain degree one one hand I think it would be kind of a consolation prize, but on the other knowing that he is drawing serious comparisons to Doughty and seeing how unbelievable Doughty was in the Oly’s I can’t help but get at least somewhat excited if we were to have to “settle” for him…but I totally agree, I would rather have Hall/Seguin.Although, I think comparing them to Ovie/Malkin/Barker might be a bit much, Stamkos/Doughty draft year might be a little better comparison.and yes, in agreement with drafting Knightrider too, or even better…if only there was a way to pry TO’s pick from Beantown…oh it would be glorious to get Hall/Seguin AND Fowler.

Fair enough. I wasn’t really comparing the players so much as comparing the situation that Chicago ended up in. They finished 29th and ended up with the 3rd pick which had two very top rated players at 1 and 2 and a really good D man at 3. There are a few similarities there for sure. If they had finished 30th overall, they would have been secured one of the top two picks no matter what. That’s what I’m hoping we end up with, and ideally, the top pick with nobody going past us on the lottery.

Fowler looked great at the WJC, but that’s all I’ve heard about him. I’m sure he’d be a great draft pick, but Hall really impressed and Seguin seems to be picking up steam as the season goes on. If Fowler turns out to be anything close to Doughty, then that’s fantastic. Hopefully all three turn out to be what they are supposed to be and we don’t have to worry about where we finish if it’s bottom three.

I think it was Lowetide that had a post about that recently.

Anyways, I am completely against the idea of tanking so I want to see the team start winning. Plus, we are so far behind that I think it doesn’t matter if we finish strong, we will still be picking a good player (I should really get the MMS up for this week). While we are 4 points back of TO (and in my opinion, seeing TO finish last and us getting second is the ideal position…i.e. I want to see them pan over to Burke as Chirelli chooses Hall and then we pick Seguin) we are still 12 points back of the Islanders with only 17 games left. I don’t think we make that up, and I don’t want the team to be the first in franchise history to finish last.

If the comparisons to Doughty are true, and not the usual draft-fluff, I would be very happy with Fowler. To be honest, I really, really like Drew Doughty. He’s mature well beyond his years and is a guy that can play at both ends of the rink. That’s what I’d want. I don’t care how much offense Fowler puts out… I want a guy that can score goals, but will punish the opposition when they come in our zone. That’s something I’ve noticed was lacking from a lot of recent American d-men, but there are some that can hit hard, for sure.

Ultimately though, I’d be happy with Hall or Seguin, but it sounds like Seguin is more of an all around player.. maybe a guy who is more akin to Oiler hockey too (and by that, I don’t mean sucking.. I mean the 90s Oiler hockey – blue collar). Either way though, it sounds like we’ll be happy, and I’m glad there is a huge gap between us and the 3rd last team. Technically speaking, it’ll take a lot for us to finish 3rd last (which could potentially take us out of the top 3, depending on how the lottery went).

On the Knightrider note; Maybe we can trade up with all the picks we have Racki.I’d like to see him here as well.

I would be ecstatic if we picked up him and any of the top 3 guys.

We’d probably be in a good position to make some moves with other prospects though, or keep some guys in junior or Springfield.

The other thing too is with our 1st pick in the 2nd round, we might be able to pick up Jack Campbell. Olivier Roy could work out well for us, but it would be nice to have another goalie in the system giving him some pressure.

Not gonna lie; I want a loss tonight. Only 4 points out and TO coming up, we need to ensure our last place finish. If the Oilers do their late season rally and finish anything other than 30th, I’ll be pissed. Very pissed.I like that the guys are competing, but we need this year to get us Hall or Seguin. I realize that it’s nice to see our guys do well and get a glimpse of what may be, but the only thing that is important at this point is getting that top pick.

I’m hoping for a loss tonight too. I wanna bet the Habs and the Leafs so we need a little loss here. Go LEAFS AND SENS (God it feels so wrong)

18. neufab says:

Based on the latest rankings, Seguin seems to be pulling ahead of Hall for the consensus top pick, and looks as though there are a few other players starting to move up quickly.I think it was Lowetide that had a post about that recently.Anyways, I am completely against the idea of tanking so I want to see the team start winning.Plus, we are so far behind that I think it doesn’t matter if we finish strong, we will still be picking a good player (I should really get the MMS up for this week).While we are 4 points back of TO (and in my opinion, seeing TO finish last and us getting second is the ideal position…i.e. I want to see them pan over to Burke as Chirelli chooses Hall and then we pick Seguin) we are still 12 points back of the Islanders with only 17 games left.I don’t think we make that up, and I don’t want the team to be the first in franchise history to finish last.

I agree. Picking 2nd would be better in several ways because it kills the “why didn’t they pick the other guy” debate. Plus finishing worse than the Leafs… no… finishing dead last… no… it’s just not right! Who wants the designation of that in the record books?! If nothing else, keeping this franchise from finishing last brings a small positive into next year.

ECHOOOOOO echoooo… echo…

Leafs win 4-3 in OT over the Bruins. A oss put us 6 points back, a win keeps us at 4. Its ok to root for the Oil tonight! I had done a little research on Seguin and Hall. We can’t lose with either but Hall looks like the better goal scorer and we need that right now.

Woohoo, Leafs!!!

*goes and showers to wash the evil off my skin*

Penalty shot, Comrie! Telegraphed shot there.

Don’t like that hit by Horcoff on Volchenkov at all. No reason for Horcoff to complain about that one.. those can be ugly hits.

Holy shitaki, what a save by Deslauriers!

Sounds like Jeff has found a groove over the past few games hey!

Jeez, the lights are out again?

Sounds like Souray’s infection was/is pretty serious, hopefully he’ll get better soon.

Ferrrrnanndooooooo Pisani!

Pisani on the rebound! Wooo! 1-0!

LNOF: I was away during the intermission. Did they mention it? I heard it was under control now or something (something positive, anyways).

I only caught part of it as well, they were talking about how they had to rush him to the hospital and he’s still in there I think. Hopefully someone else caught the full convo.

Not a good shift by the oil here…

Whitney has helped renew my appreciation for Tom Gilbert. Hopefully the two can continue to work well together.

Per Oilers Twitter: O’Sullivan has left the game with a left hand injury and will not return tonight. More updates to follow.

Crap. I think earlier in the evening Jeff would have saved that.

uh oh, Sens found their goal scoring ..

Sigh.

38. Trogdor says:

Been watching while doing things around the house. Sad to see two quick ones against. At least the Leafs won.

39. Trogdor says:

Good time for season ending surgery.

Peckham seems to be winning the battles vs. Ruutu

Why the hell do players hit other players into their own goalies? I don’t understand that at all.

Damn it the bottom is falling out now.

Well so much for this one.

43. Trogdor says:

Ruutu isn’t much in the tough dept. Just a chirpy agitator. And the downward spiral continues.

Peckham seems to be winning the battles vs. Ruutu

lol..yeah, Tencer just tweeted about that it made me laugh

“Dan Tencer
    Oh, how I would love to see Ruutu accept the invitation from Peckham. Not bloody likely, though.”

on another note…they must not enforce stick curvatures anymore, man some of these guys have some wicked looking curves.

45. Trogdor says:

And there’s Ruutu’s specialty.

Edit that… Ruutu in the box and no one else?

wow…Penner really got on his horse there to come back after that OZ giveaway he gave up.

good to see in a losing cause, mean nothing game at this point in the season.

Well it was a good 40 minutes! Night all.

Thanks for stopping by, all

Injury update on O’Sullivan… was a slash to the hand. Apparently he could be out for a while. Quinn said he had a “procedure” done to his hand, whatever that means. Maybe broken hand or finger and they were setting it?

btw, the Oil already planned a call up from Springfield to cover the injury to Jones. Perhaps this opens the door for Eberle later? (I’d like to see him finish the remaining 9 games here.