By , March 7, 2010 1:48 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs New Jersey Devils
logo Edmonton Oilers 2 FINAL logo New Jersey Devils 0
20-38-6 Record 38-22-3
Location: Rexall Place
Date: Mar 7, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

Here we go again, another Oilers game. Despite their trend to suck most of the season, I’m interested in watching this one. I missed the last game (the PPV.. no way am I ordering PPV these days), so I’m suffering some withdrawls ;) I did catch the shootout though, which was spectacular. The Oilers won the game vs. the Wild by a score of 2-1 on a shootout goal by Mike Comrie and some pretty stellar goaltending by Jeff Deslauriers. If only he could do that on a regular basis! The Devils are 3-6-1 in their last 10, while the Oilers are 3-7-0. Both teams are in need of some wins (depending on your view on that!). I’m anxious to get a closer look at Ryan Whitney in Oil blue.

I’ll predict a 3-2 win for the boys in blue tonight.

Lines for Edmonton are a total guesstimation on my part. They were in the Edmonton Sun today, but I didn’t have enough time to memorize them. ;) If anyone knows them, please mention them in the comments.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner — Horcoff — Nilsson

18.8 PP% 18
80.6 PK% 76.1
29.9 S/G 28.3
27.3 SA/G 32.4
48.6 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

- Having a tough time understanding some decisions on the lineups these days. Horcoff at top line center? Is that right? Brule on line 3? I’m starting to understand the criticism of Quinn and kids… hopefully it’s just a motivational technique, or a way to prevent a big pay raise for Brule. :P

39 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, New Jersey Devils 0 – Mar 7, 2010 @ 6:00 PM – SNET – Game 65”

1. MetalOil says:

double post

2. MetalOil says:

Actually looking forward to this one myself too. I hope that the changes on the blueline make us less flashy and more nasty from the back end (Gilbert aside). If I were coach Quinn I would be putting Gilbert through that drill were every player forms a gauntlet on the side boards for a player(Gilbert in this case) to take a hit from everyone in the formation. This might make him a little bit meaner :)

I pray we keep it close.

dantencer

Lines: Penner, Horcoff and Pisani; O’Sullivan, Cogliano and Brule; Pouliot, Gagner and Nilsson; Comrie, Potulny and Stortini.

5. MetalOil says:

I think it is very important for JDD to have a solid game tonight. He has to show management that he can be consistent.

6. MetalOil says:

Good break out pass from Whitney that lead to a great scoring chance. I hear that this is one of his strengths.

7. MetalOil says:

Wow.
    We are one of only three teams that Marty has never shut out.

8. MetalOil says:

Wow what a BS call.

Hey, where is 18? Anyone hear whats up with him?

Beauty play by Nilsson and Poo with the finish!

Moreau is out tonight i think….Smid is done for the season, I was not aware fo that…..Figures, now we start playing good hockey.

Moreau’s neck is still bothering him. Day to day.

Nice effort by the Oilers so far 2-0!

I never realized how often Brodeur drops and slides on his side to make saves before now. I knew he did it a fair amount being a hybrid type, but man he’s doing constantly this game.

Buh bye Peters…

Litte off topic here, but did anyone see cooke’s cheap shot on Marc Savard today that didn’t get called? Savard’s seaason is likely over…

15. MetalOil says:

Buh bye Peters…

lol what a brat.

2 things I have noticed today

lol what a brat.2 things I have noticed today1) we look much calmer on D now. less fancy dans and more simple crisp passes out of the zone,2) JDD seems to be improving which is probably a result of point #1. That offering up the 5 hole and quickly closing it on Kovalchuk shows some confidence.Overall we just look like a much tougher team to play against now & I really love what Peckham brings to this team!!!

Our defense looks so much better with Whitney and Johnson. I think we should keep this defense and let it develop. Add the big 3 young kids, Hemsky and add 2-3 big body and lets get better next season!

Overall we just look like a much tougher team to play against now

I agree and it reminds me of the late 90′s Oilers…short on talent but big on try. And those were beauty teams to cheer for.

Another quick off-topic question for my fellow Oilers fans. My mom and dad said they would buy me a jersey for confirmation. I have to retro orange and blue hemsky and blank road white of this season. I got the old home smyth and current copper and blue hemsky. Is this jersey worth getting: http://cgi.ebay.com/MARK-MESSIER-Edmonton-Oilers-Vintage-Home-Jersey-XXL_W0QQitemZ290386761063QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU_Hockey_Fan_Shop?hash=item439c665567

And let me just say it now, but Strudwick’s offensive ability is killing me. He dumps it in always, even when there is an easy 10 foot pass for a possible scoring chance.

You can see O’Sullivan just dying when he does that.

20. MetalOil says:

can’t go wrong with the Moose!!!

Saw it…and Cooke has always been bush league. We saw it first hand when he played with the Canucks. Should be suspended at least 10 games (but it will only be 2-5).

And I have Savard in the pool…damn.

can’t go wrong with the Moose!!!

Ok, I think I’m gonna go for it!

I wonder if Aaron Johnson ever thought he would be playing the PP in the NHL.

Ok, I think I’m gonna go for it!

I agree, any vintage Oilers gear is worth it.

25. MetalOil says:

Great now were gonna slowly work our way out of the NHL’s basement. Its ok. I want Tyler S. anyways

Great now were gonna slowly work our way out of the NHL’s basement.

Its two games lol slowy we will fall back to last. Even if we don’t get 1st pick, Seguin is a GREAT option

Good job Oil & nice game! Shutting out the Devils no less, congrats JD!

I don’t like tanking anyways, so its great to see the team winning.

Anyways, thanks for coming out everyone.

30. MetalOil says:

As much as I liked Lubes I am starting to think that he may have been the wrong type of #1 D men for this team. I think we will now see a more collective effort on the blue line. and thats very OK with me.

hOLY sHIT!!

Saw it…and Cooke has always been bush league.We saw it first hand when he played with the Canucks.Should be suspended at least 10 games (but it will only be 2-5).And I have Savard in the pool…damn.

Agree…I have never been an advocate of trying tp change the game too much, but these head shots are getting just ridiculous, I hope they set a total example of Cooke once and for all, this shit has got to stop, this hit made my stomach turn, couple that with Cooke’s history of cheap shots and I say just ban the fucker for life. Send the message that if you’re going to play with guys careers, than you’re going to risk yours as well.

and then institute a head shot rule as soon as possible, and like I said, I was never on board with it before, but I’m sold now, watching the Olympics has shown me that you can have amazing, intense, physical hockey and still have rules in place to protect the players.

and yeah…too bad for Savard…he’s had Oiler luck this year.

Matt Cooke was interviewed after the hit and said “it felt like shoulder on shoulder contact”. Bull fucking shit. He was head hunting.

The honor of the game has long died. I miss the times where Matt Cooke would have had his ass handed to him. I know we don’t want the Bertuzzi/Moore incidents, but really, if I saw that happened to a teammate, I wouldn’t be worried about fines, penalties, suspensions or whatever.

Cooke will get his. The Penguins and Bruins play each other again March 18… circle it on your calendars. Unfortunately (in a way), Cooke probably won’t be at that game though due to suspension. That’s only 5 games away.

34. Haboiler says:

That was pretty brutal for sure. That stuff has to be taken out of the game. Will be interesting what he gets since Richards was a similar hit.

As awesome as they are, everyone and their dog has the vintage blue jersey here. That’s a bit more unique. I have a vintage home (i.e. white) jersey with a lot of sigs on it, but haven’t got any name on the back yet. I think I’m going to do either Brown or Semenko.

36. DropIt says:

on a completely off topic note;

Congrats to new Flame, Steve Staios on his 200th point last night ;)

Hey how are you feeling about the Flames trades? I’d personally be hating them.

38. DropIt says:

Hey how are you feeling about the Flamers trades? I’d personally be hating them.Although I’m happy for Staios though… I think he’ll fit in well there (and that’s not a slag against him or Calgary). Always liked him here. In a secret way, I hope he does well.Btw, one of the guy’s I work with (Phil, for Steve) is friends with Staios’ neighbor. Take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds legit… the neighbor said that Tambellini told Staois not to sell his house. The reason for that was that he would be a free agent in a year, and they might pick him up again. Even as big of a fan of Staios as I have been, I can’t see that being a good idea, but just thought I’d mention that. Kind of strange.

I actually really liked the Staios deal. I have always liked his warrior attitude, and he has shown it in spades so far. as he has taken a slapshot in the ribs (the side, where we all know the padding is limited) and he went face first into the boards after Kovalchuck slipped in front of him (ver reminicent to the Igina/Souray play)
    I just wondered why there would have to be a 3rd invoved in the Staios deal… I know thats what Edmonton was looking for, as they are rebuilding… but I thought that Aaron Johnson’s contract coming in, and being a UFA contract none the less, for the loss of Staios’ would be enough, at least IMO it very well could have been a stright up deal.

The Dustin Boyd Deal, I HATED… as I still seee a bright future in Boyd. He is still only 23 years old, and has shown flashes of a solid 2nd line player, but was never awarded the playing time. He played great on a line with Backlund and I was not impressed to see him go, let alone for such a low draft pick. I think he easily could have garnered a late 2nd/early 3rd.

The Tosakalas deal, I am completely fine with, because it is in the same boat as Staios, where for this season, the Cap hit is minimal, and Vesa is head and shoulders better then McE, and has shown he can be a solid goalie in a 1A/1B system. Not to mention he is best friends with Kipper and a UFA at the end of the year. I think when you take the situation into context (aging Kipper, good friends, will garner playing time) we may be able to bring Vesa back as a solid backup goalie.

With the Staios and Toskala deal, i can completely understand where Daryll was coming from, as this team almost NEEDS to make the playoffs and are in a completely different boat as a team like the Oilers. For one, we dont own draft picks… So Daryll is making the adjustments needed to put this team over the edge so we can at least sneak in for another early exit.

On a different note. the resignings… i dunno
    Stajan, to me, seems fair. I think he is a great playmaker, and has more under rated physical skill then he is given credit for and he plays great with Iginla. I think what he got was fair.
    Bourque, on the other hand… i am not getting a good feeling about.. 6 years seems way too long and i think he makes about half a million too much. Especially considering his injury history, so i just hope we continue to see Bourque play like he has been since coming to Calgary.

Yah I was pretty shocked by the Boyd deal too. That one was the worst. Didn’t think the Toskala deal was good either, but when you think of it as you said (he’s an expiring contract anyways) it is not so bad.

But yes, Staios is a good pick up for you guys… but I do agree, the price was pretty steep. Made me feel a lot better about losing him.