By , March 5, 2010 12:21 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Minnesota Wild

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Minnesota Wild

Well these GDTs are getting a bit harder to do given the state of affairs here. This one is also a PPV, which makes it doubly hard to watch, but I think I will catch it, if I can, just to see Whitney in the lineup. Anyways, the Oilers are currently on a 3 game losing streak, while the Wild have won their last 2.

There’s some significant changes to our lineup as of late, partly due to trades/waiver pickup, and partly due to injury. The defense lines aren’t known at the moment (although I can say Smid is out for the year), but the forward lines are pretty much set.

Prediction: 4-2 Wild win tonight.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Horcoff-Nilsson
O’Sullivan-Comrie-Cogliano
Jones-Gagner-Pouliot
Brule-Potulny-Stortini

Defense not known yet

GAME NOTES

– Smid is done for the season due to neck injury. He will be getting surgery done on it.
– Pisani looks to be a scratch today. He actually might be hurt, as he was hit extremely hard in the last game and struggled to leave the ice.
– New player numbers: Aaron Johnson – #2, Ryan Whitney – #6 and Ryan Jones – #28
– Jacques surgery was successful.
– With Johnson and Whitney in the lineup now, Motin and Arsene have been sent back to Springfield.

52 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Minnesota Wild 1 (SO) – Mar 5, 2010 @ 7:00 PM – PPV – Game 64”

Just to emphasize one important point in the GDT… Smid is out for the season, needing neck surgery. As if our blue line didn’t suck enough ;)

2. NorwegianOiler says:

Brutal news on Smid. This is scripted pain right here.

Sign me up for a dose for tonight’s matchup! :D If there ever was a ‘nothing to lose’, it’s now.

Stoner. :P Very nice!

4. Trogdor says:

PPV? I guess I can go out and have fun tongiht then. Sucks to lose Ladi.

5. mrgod2u says:

Well as far as the good/news bad news part about Smid, this way he is healthy for next season when it actually counts again.

Anyone who we can should be dumped on the IR to give our developing players a taste of the big show. Start training camp for next season now.

Maybe Horcoff needs surgery too… Patch him up right so that at least next year if we are still stuck with his salary he might have a chance of winning faceoffs and hitting the broad side of a barn with his one-timer.

Pretty ironic when the only thing left to lose is your draft position, and the only way to lose that is by winning.

Well, I got offered to split seasons tickets for next year. Section 110, row 14. $7000 for 2 tickets to 20/21 games. Do I do this?

Or do I still hold out and just grab gallery seasons tickets for $3500 (and all the games) when the waiting list dries up?

Well, those are at least good seats… row 14 is nice. But $7000! How much are they paying you? I might have to go in and talk to our manager (the one above our peon manager :P).

Sorry about lunch btw.

8. Trogdor says:

You’ve been replaced by Tommy.

NOOOOO!!!

Tommy and John like to touch each other, so I guess that works well for the both of them.

Might be unnecessary panic, but Robin Brownlee mentioned on Oilers Nation that Ryan Whitney may have chronic foot problems (something with the size of the bone in his feet). His left might be fine now, but the right might be an issue. There hasn’t been any indication that Whitney will need surgery or will miss games because of it though.

11. Horpensky says:

I think I’d rather watch the Flames game tonight… and now look at all the guys who’ve had surgery this season!

Hemsky – shoulder
    Khabibulin – back
    Smid – neck
    JFJ – back
    Ryan Stone – knee
    Sheldon Souray – hand

Well, those are at least good seats… row 14 is nice. But $7000! How much are they paying you? I might have to go in and talk to our manager (the one above our peon manager :P ).
    Sorry about lunch btw.

Actually they’re section 104, row 13. And I would only be paying $3500 of my own money…but that’s still a lot of cheddar.

And considering I am thinking of buying a house I probably shouldn’t. Hmmm, house or Oilers…

not a fan of 630 ched

Anyone watching it?

Wow talk about a dead thread but thanks for making it. I’m watching but feel like crap and I’m too tired to type much. So I just came on to say hi and good night as I’m fading big time. Oilers are playing decent, I like that Whitney went after Clutterbuck after that late hit. Hope the Oil pull out a win, I’ll be dozing on my couch until the end. Steve-O, buy a house.

Sorry to hear that LNOF! Hope you feel better. I haven’t been able to watch this one (PPV here, and I’m not paying for this stuff anymore… today.. lol).

Just got in and am watching it on atdhe.

Anyone else watching it?

How have Whitney and the other new guys looked so far?

18. Haboiler says:

I am watching there as well. Sounds like Whitney messed up on the goal against and Jones got kneed by Boogard and left the game with a knee injury, as if that surprises any of us.

i tried watching the feed, but its all ass for me now.

I am watching there as well.Sounds like Whitney messed up on the goal against and Jones got kneed by Boogard and left the game with a knee injury, as if that surprises any of us.

LOL no kidding, hey? Man…..

21. Haboiler says:

yeh its not working at all now for me either.

22. Haboiler says:

JDD standing on his head!

I’ve actually enjoyed tonight’s game so far. I have a few friends over to watch and its been fun. Would like to see the win tonight as I love to play spoiler! JDD has been steller so far!

shootout time

nice goal potulny!

haha…that Potulny SO goal was just ridiculous!

Prediction:

Brule will score 30 next year.

Potulny will score 20.

HANG IN THERE, ADTHE.NET!

JDD deserved that win, by the sounds of it. As much as I love the fall for hall, I’ll take that win!

wow…pin that win on JDD.

good to see them win one!

31. Haboiler says:

a couple nice goals and saves in that shootout… The Dive is great but we’ll take a win once in awhile lol…

JDD

‘Nuff said!

28 of 29 saves, including some huge ones in the SO… too bad he wasn’t like that every night!

Haboiler:

lol, did you see that our trade didn’t go through? you had needed to put your players on IR, or drop them outright to make room for the two extra players you were getting from the trade, so it denied the trade because it would have put you over the max roster size!!

hehe…guess it just wasn’t meant to be, good luck the rest of the season!

35. Haboiler says:

I was wondering what happened was looking for the changes today… I’m so far behind I feel like the Oil and was looking to get rid of some vets! lol

36. Haboiler says:

Those are the game stats for tonite. 26 mins for Whitney and 20 for Johnson. I’m looking forward to see what Johnson can bring as well for the rest of this year. Could be a cheap #6 for next year.

As an interesting aside, the game sheet has us listed with 9 centremen in the lineup maybe thats our problem! lol

haha…I know…it was a good trade for both of us!!

part of the reason I wanted to get rid of the extra players was to clear room for Franzen who I’ve had stored on IR now forever!

With the addition of Parise, Spezza and Franzen my roster would have been sick!

lol…oh well, I guess I’ll have to just drop Penner now, so if anyone wants him he’ll be on waivers!

holy, 26 Mins for Whitney? That’s quite a bit. And 20 for Johnson is a lot too. Good to see that they didn’t collapse under all that TOI. Although I think one of you mentioned Whitney botched the Minny goal in some way.

Whitney looked good tonight. As did Johnson who I sounds like he wants to be here. I hope hes signed back up for next season.

40. Haboiler says:

He got beat in the neutral zone and the legs were slow coming back… Gilbert was 25 mins too… Whitney will be fine, he skates well is a big boy, just needs to use it better. Could be a future leader on this team. With Moreau gone at yrs end, ditto for Souray… who gets the C?

Horcoff, since he’s untradable. lol (but he is a leader-type)

Prediction:Brule will score 30 next year.Potulny will score 20.

I hope so!

43. Haboiler says:

I would agree with you. Hemsky and Gagner with A’s I’d think.

Horcoff, since he’s untradable. lol (but he is a leader-type)

44. dawgtoy says:

clip of Boogard knee on Jones,what do you think?

Took my grandpa to last nights game, which was pretty sweet cause he use to take me when I was five/six. I remember seeing Arnott as a rookie or second year, Weight, Cujo and we had decent seats too.

Last night we sat behind directly behind Backstrom, second level 3/4 the way up, it was a great view and place to analyze players.

Anyways, about the game, JDD was stellar last night and made some wicked saves. Jones made a stupid play (which probably got him benched for more then half the game), by going in deep to hit someone from Minny and then when he fell down used his stick to slash him in the face. I liked what I saw with Johnson, he was pretty sound. Whitney moved a lot with the puck I noticed in one or two plays and carried it along/near the blue line and if we see more of that I think he’ll be a good QB on the PP.

And for our forwards, POS was snake bitten on one or two plays again, if he scored on his chances this year he’d probably be hitting close to 30 goals. I was actually impressed with MAP out there tonight, he played physical and made a sick dangle or two, most notable in on a rush. Potulny and Brule were quite impressive too. I’m really liking what I see of Gagner, especially from the two games I’ve been too where you don’t see too much behind the scenes on TV. He’s playing with a feisty edge and he’s not afraid to back down. I’m not sure if this is Quinn’s doing or just his overall development but if Gagner can add ten pounds of muscle he’ll be a 5’11 tank that’s offensively gifted. Cogliano was the odd small guy out however, his speed is remarkable but other than that he can’t seem to catch a break. Again I must mention JDD was excellent last night and with performances like that we may have a solidified back-up and potential starter in a few seasons down the road.

I would agree with you.Hemsky and Gagner with A’s I’d think.

Don’t forget about the “6th best captain”, Dustin Penner. :P

clip of Boogard knee on Jones,what do you think?

Typical Boogaard move, I guess. It didn’t look as blatantly obvious as other knee-on-knee hits though. Hard to really tell.. I can’t believe youtube doesn’t have a slow motion feature on videos yet. That would help see it better.

Anyways, it looked more like he was trying to throw a big shoulder at Jones and the knee was incidental… but I’m definitely not going to defend Boogaard. :P

Wow, I almost forgot about that. I remember someone getting hit but I can’t remember who it was. Maybe he wasn’t benched as to so much of his knee acting up then.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I’m thinking the Penner we knew of last season has returned, he didn’t really make an effort to exert himself or throw his body weight around, even though that’s not really his style he’d just kind of rub up on guys. I really think it’d be a good idea to trade him for a top pick (preferably to Carolina/Florida) while his value is still somewhat high. Not sure if they’d bite though but I don’t know if we’ll see him return to how he played in the first half of the season…

48. Haboiler says:

I am thinking Pisani and Moreau better get used to sitting alot during the next 19 games or so. According to TFP, Pisani is upset over his lack of ice-time. There won’t be a change in culture until these vets are out of the locer room I fear.

Pisani won’t be re-signed. Being a put in the press box last night made it obvious. Moreau saw little ice time too from what I remember. The culture change only happens when the vets go sadly.