Decision time for Jeff Petry and the Oilers…

By , March 13, 2010 10:26 pm
What to do with Jeff Petry?

What to do with Jeff Petry?

Guy Flaming over at Coming Down The Pipe / The Pipeline Show wrote that the MSU Spartans have been swept by the Michigan Wolverines, and brought up the possibility of Petry heading to Springfield. So it’s decision time. Does Petry head to Springfield? I’d be tickled pink if that were the case.

I’ve seen a bit of Jeff Petry this year, and he has some upside in all aspects of his game. Great play in College doesn’t necessarily translate to the NHL though, so I’m sure he’ll spend some good time in Springfield/Oklahoma. But the question is, should he come up to Springfield now, or should he play another year in Michigan?

So… question for you folks…

Should Jeff Petry join the Falcons now?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

11 Responses to “Decision time for Jeff Petry and the Oilers…”

College hockey is great, I love it, but if you aren’t playing in hockey east up in the Boston area its really a crap shoot other than a few schools (MSU is not one of them). I say he needs to be brought up for the rest of the season, and then play in the AHL again next season. If he reallys wants to go to the NHL then he goes to the Falcons this season. It would be the best thing for his development, the Oilers think highly of him and he has some potential, I’d like to see that in the AHL.

It should be noted too that Jordan Eberle’s season ended yesterday… sooooo Springfield time for him! (I’m sure)

Also, Jim Matheson speculates that Magnus Paajarvi Svensson will return to Timra of the Swedish Elite League next year. I’d like to see him with Oklahoma (because our farm team needs it), but I’m not so certain he should be in the NHL, so having him develop over there isn’t such a bad thing at all.

The article also notes that the Oil are looking at several big college kids to sign.

I don’t think the Oilers have a choice in the matter. I think he wants to finish his college career and get a degree, can’t say I blame him.

As for Magnum PS, I recall hearing him say he won’t play in the A, so its either the NHL for him or left in Europe.

But then again both of those are what I’ve read on the internerd.

Well, I too had heard that Petry wanted to finish school, which would definitely be the smart thing. But that doesn’t mean that the Oil won’t do what they can to bribe him otherwise. :P

As far as MPS, he isn’t the first guy to stay in Europe for development reasons, so it’s not such a bad thing… but playing in Springfield/Oklahoma at least allows us to recall him if someone gets injured. So they could at least get a few games in with him here next year that way. But I wouldn’t complain if he went to the SEL for another year though, so long as he isn’t trying to dodge being an Oiler (which I doubt he is).

I see he got 50g too! woot!

7. MetalOil says:

From what I hear and see MPS seems to like being a part of the Oilers organization. He is deked out in Oiler gear with a big Oilers symbol when you first log on to his website. http://www.paajarvi.com/3/en-us/magnus-paeaejaervi-svensson/magnus-paeaejaervi-svensson.php

”I’m thrilled to have been picked by a Canadian team with so much history and so much passion for the game of ice hockey” says Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson.

I think that another year in the SEL can do him no harm and is probably the best thing for him at this point. We will already have quiet a few rookies on the team next year (Eberle and our pick for sure) and I do not think overloading the roster with all these rookies at the same time in the right move. This is a long term rebuild and there is no need to rush everyone in here at once. Give him another year overseas. It makes more sense than him going to the AHL.

But I’m not sure he’s willing to play in the A. With those guys (Omark is another, and you could say Miknov too) its the NHL or they want to be making more money closer to home.

I agree, I don’t think he’s interested in the AHL, nor is Omark (which we’ve already learned). But they would play there if given one-way contracts, but I don’t see that happening.

I say get him to Okihoma. We’ve had way to many prospects die on the vine because of nowhere to put them and now we do not have that issue. Send him to the A and let him fullfil his potential. College is not going to do anything for his hockey career at this point. He’ll be a key guy in Oki and that will accelerate him to either being what we expect or figuring in how he fits in if at all. Time to see what all these prospects can do.

As for him not being interested in the AHL, I bet he sees the opportunities here are now. He’ll go and know that if he plays well, he’s up with the big club next year a couple times for sure and definitley the year after if his game is there. If he waits a year, it can squeeze a D man out of a job. Best to go for it now. If I was his agent, I’d say go now.

I think the only question for him is if he wants to finish his education or not.