Plante and Chorney sent back to Springfield

By , February 7, 2010 2:18 pm

From the Oilers site:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have assigned defencemen Taylor Chorney and Alex Plante to Springfield of the American Hockey League.

Chorney was recalled to Edmonton on January 25 and appeared in eight games with no points and a -3 rating.

Plante was recalled on January 31 and played in his first National Hockey League game recording an assist with 12 minutes of ice time. He skated in four games total with one assist and a +1 rating.

That means that both Smid and Staios will play tomorrow night against Phoenix.

17 Responses to “Plante and Chorney sent back to Springfield”

Looks like they want to be able to show off Steady Steve before the Olympic break. It’ll be nice to see Smid get back into action as well. I’ve always liked the kid.

3 more games to go until the break.. I wonder if we’ll see anyone on the team moved before then. Not getting my hopes up.

I kinda get the feeling that nobody will be, but hopefully there is. I get the feeling most teams are going to use the break to do their homework on players that can help them.

Glad to see we have some decent prospects in development, Plante had a pretty good run here, with maybe the exception of last nights game (not sure I didn’t really see it). And Chorney is looking pretty good too, he still makes mistakes but he’s in the making.

As for our forwards, the next guy we could call up could be Reddox, apparently he’s been on fire lately and ripping it up down in Springfield.

And I’m happy to see steady Steve back in the line-up, and Smid as he is my favourite player. I’m gonna show off my work again that I made before the season…

Wow, that’s awesome Zack. You do great work!

Thanks Racki! It kinda sucked because I kinda left the OMB at the beginning of the season and I may have a combined total of 10 posts from the start of the season till now. I go on every now and then just to glance over things but I really have no other place to use it/show it off so I’ll post it when I can. :P

Hey I’m always wanting to display Oilers-related user content here. I have a section for user-created wall paper and also for videos. I guess I don’t really have anything for just random pics, but if you were looking for a place to host your oil work, I could set something up.

9. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: Well, take it with a grain of salt, but there’s an internet source out there (not Twatwaffle) saying a trade involving Moreau is almost done. Sorry to cloud it in mystery, but I don’t like to plug sites that come up with unfounded rumors. So until I know this person has some credibility, I’ll just leave at as that… some guy on the net (not Twatwaffle) is saying a Moreau trade is close.

I have registered the same – a few sites (twatwaffle’s included, naturally, as he seems to prowl other sites in order to provide content on his own…) have reported Moreau’s name. I do not, whatsoever, account multiple sources on the internet as any kind of measure for credibility (quantity/quality…) but I’m baffled how Brule’s name seems to pop up as well. Why would the Oilers trade Brule now, his value must clearly be higher to the Oilers than what he could bring in…
    Totally against moving Brule!

What twatty has suggested is a moronic trade of Moreau/Brule for Fedotenko and a set of low picks (2nd/3rd) – which would to me be a statement of absolute randomness in Oil country. Even though Fedotenko is a UFA, letting Brule go for as little as a few picks (assuming Moreau/Fedotenko ‘cancel’ each other out so to speak) would be moronic to say the least.

I am all for stacking up draft picks, shedding salary and all that, but things must at least make a minimum amount of sense. There seems to be a belief that draft picks alone are worth a lot due to the ‘hope’ that they might pan out better than what we already have. Brule’s a 6th overall pick (not that I put that much value into draft position, it really only says what was thought of him at the time of the draft) but still…

We’ll see what comes of this.

I hadn’t heard anything on Brule, but I take the same stance as you. His value is the same to me as a guy like Glencross, and we wouldn’t trade a guy like that, would we? :P I kid, of course. Honestly, they really better not trade Brule unless they get crazy value for him (or if contract dealings are going horribly bad). I’m a firm believer in “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” when it comes to trading. Why trade a guy who plays really well for you? Any player you get back may not perform well. So generally it’s not worth the risk giving up a player like that.

Again, the only reason dealing Brule makes sense is if we get an offer we can’t refuse (the one you mentioned is very refusable, however) or the Brule contract dealings are going horribly bad.

brule was a healthy scratch, so my guess is that the coaches and management don’t think as highly as us about him

12. mrgod2u says:

Or after the Souray breaking hand in fight thing maybe they are trying to keep him healthy long enough to pull the trigger on a trade.

Yah I don’t get why Quinn benched Brule. Everyone has their dogs and their golden childs though I guess. But that one just doesn’t make sense. Especially for two games. Unless it’s like mrgod2u said – keeping him healthy for a trade. That would suck.

Tencer had a bird over the Brule benchings. It’s the closest I’ve heard to a rant from him on what’s going on here. He figures it’s likely Brule sitting to “showcase” the veterans we want to move, but he also said it would be better to play Brule to make them look better. I agree.

If Brule is traded for less than a very good NHLer on term, then management has to be cleaned out completely. He’s one of the only small guys who shows up to play and plays well in my view. Trading him would be a mistake.

15. mrgod2u says:

Well keeping Brule off the ice is so far only making the other players look better by comparison.

ie. Moreau scored as many goals as Brule did in our last game.

Although even at that point we have to really bend the stats to make them look even as good as a benched player.

I guess maybe they think that by keeping Brule off the ice the old vets will not be shown up by his flare and work ethic.

Pretty sad though if that is the case. Seriously who would want any of these guys after watching a game tape anyway. If I was a scout there is no way I would risk my paycheque on recommending a trade for anybody that we want to move.

I did notice in the Horcoff thread on the OMB that people have noted Horcoff’s contract as having a NTC rather than a NMC. If this is true then the good news is that we can bury his contract in the Minors and have the room to deal with our cap issues. For the cost of his contract we could hire enough low-cost players to completely blow out the vets.

This is correct.. Horcoff has a NTC not a NMC. I don’t see the Oilers doing it though. That’s a LOT of cash for Katz to swallow, and well, … I just don’t see them doing it. Aside from a few stupid decisions, the Oilers always seemed to be a pretty loyal organization. They should have waived Moreau long ago and haven’t… can’t see them stuffing Horcoff in the minors. However, maybe they’d eat half the tab though by recalling him

That half would count to the cap though, but still might be worth it. As much as I hate to say it we could sign two players that bring more than Horcoff does for that $2.75M savings.

17. mrgod2u says:

Yeah, I hear that. One of my hopes with Katz taking over was that it would inject a bit of ego into the running of the team (not Pocklington levels, but enough to add some spice). One of my big concerns with the EIG was that there would never be a motivation to make drastic change on a team that kept the luxury boxes full (you can always count on a committee to take the path of least resistance). With a single owner he has to watch the team that he loves stink it up, and listen to the other owners mock his once-proud team.

I am a fairly patient person, and I do think that there are some deadlines in place and that the clock is ticking on some careers. Katz gave management an imperative to fix the team. I think MacT had his chance. Tambellini is in the middle of his right now. His actions as far as the rebuild and draft will either cement his job for 5 years+ or wash him out next season.

Like I said we need enough owner-ego to care about more than the bottom line, but not so much that they are meddling and mucking about with the team. Hopefully Katz puts the money paid to Horcoff at less of a premium than having a competitive team.

Regardless the time to do it would be after this season (when we will need the cash), Horcoff is merely guaranteeing us a first pick at this rate.