Monday Morning Standings

By , February 9, 2010 10:41 am

Rare photo of Tambellini attempting to run this team.

Oh crap am I tired. Hockey game last night started at 11:15 and I didn’t get home until 1:30am.

In other news, the Oilers have decided that just being bad isn’t good enough anymore. They want to descend to a special sort of shit. I can’t wait for the Olympics to start so I can watch some good hockey again. We have become the free bingo spot (I think thats how the saying goes). Embarrassing. I wonder how (or if even) the other GM’s stifle their laughter when Tambellini calls.

Conference Standings

Florida Panthers 58 57
Columbus Blue Jackets 60 57
New York Islanders 58 54
Carolina Hurricanes 58 49
Toronto Maple Leafs 60 49
Edmonton Oilers 58 42

And in the pool Racki is still first, I have moved into second and Trogdor is 4th. And this is a big “week”. Feb 8th to Feb 28th.

18 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

perfect picture.

I like the girl with the diamonds better…..

3. Horpensky says:

I didn’t believe there was anything past rock bottom. Oilers continue to prove me wrong.Let’s call it “Oilers bottom”

Fitting picture but I agree with Chucker, I like the girl with the diamonds better too.

Once we trade/dispose of Moreau I hope the captaincy remains vacant. One of the only candidates on this team for captain, if he remains here would probably be steady Steve in my opinion (for next season). I highly doubt we’d see another captain here though this season.

I don’t know what Tambo is waiting for, it’s not like these guys stock values rise as we play more games, we just seem to be going farther down the shitter as we progress. Even if we did win our next five games that will only raise our stock on a lot of these guys slightly but as we wait it seems to plummet.

5. neufab says:

Priceless picture, the Oilers could use it in a Visa commercial… setting records of the Detroit Lions variety and leadership with a vision to keep the record books current; Visa, taking you to all the games. ;)

…okay bad joke, which is why works referencing this team.

I wouldn’t care if Comrie was captain except that he’d be run out of town again when management fails to put together more than an AHL prospect roster. Tambi can’t trade yet… remember they are “evaluating”.

lol, yes, probably still evaluating.. you’re right.

A few big media types seem to be saying though that Tambellini has been quite busy on the phones… so perhaps there just isn’t a suitable deal out there yet.

(i.e. Something other than: “Sure, we’ll take Moreau, but you need to take Redden and give us your 1st and Sam Gagner”)

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

yeah, I think Tambi is working with players having negative value right now. In order for another team to take some of our guys, they want something nice to go along with it.

I would guess that Staios would earn the most, but each of those guys would hover around $1M, for realz.

Mr.Majestyk: yeah, I think Tambi is working with players having negative value right now.In order for another team to take some of our guys, they want something nice to go along with it.Just out of curiousity, pretend the season is over and Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, Staios all became UFA’s at the end of this season. Who do you think would sign them and how much do you think they would get on the open market?

Well since a Pisani is a UFA I can actually see him retiring due to Colitis and the fact that he hasn’t been the same since the playoff run. Otherwise he’d be 1.00-2.00 Mil.

Moreau – tough to say, always liked Moreau until this year really but I can’t really see him getting a big offer in too many places, maybe as a 13th forward.

Staios – he probably has the same/similar cap value to Horcoff but I think quite a few teams would look at him 1.500-2.500 for the cap hit.

Horcoff – defensive centerman, third liner probably similar to Malhotra’s contract or even a little more. Holy shit I just looked it up and Malhotra’s contract is .700 mil, I thought he’d be making/asking more. I was going to say Horc would also fit the 1.500-2.500 cap hit too. Jeez.

10. neufab says:

Does anyone here think Tambi has the balls to get rid of Horcoff?

ZackMan… I think your assessment is about right… except that Horcoff’s ego demands more.

neufab: Does anyone here think Tambi has the balls to get rid of Horcoff?

Haha it’s tough to say, he’s going to have to do something outside the box. Similar to what the Wings organization did with Lieno (Trade him to the Flyers for a fourth liner – I think fourth liner – and second round pick for this years draft). Instead of sending down Lieno and losing him because someone claimed him from waivers.

Now of course Tambo can’t do that exact same thing but I think he’ll have to do something fairly clever to get rid of Horcoff’s nasty contract. Most likely attach a young/small forward, since we have an abundant of those, a few draft picks or something. I don’t think it’d be that easy like Racki mentioned above we’re probably getting ridiculous offers (maybe not that bad) but to get rid of Horcoff we’re going to have to give up a huge asset and or do something “outside of the box”. That is of course if we don’t want to buy him out or something which could potentially be worse for the cap hit and because we’d have no legitimate face-off guy (well I’m not too sure of his FO% this year).

Man, I’m just thinking that they have the autograph signing on Saturday, I can’t imagine how awkward some of the team will feel (Moreau in particular), I wonder what the turnout is going to be like. Meeting some of the guys in person is quite the experience (I want last year) Souray in person is a lot more intimidating than I expected although he warmed up to my little brother (who was 4 at the time) pretty fast.

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

At this point I’d be willing to swap garbage for garbage if need be. There’s always a chance that someone else’s problem contract could be rejuvenated with a change of scenery. I’m not sure I’d want to take on Redden’s contract, especially since he’s been heading straight down for a number of years, but if we could unload Horcoff and get a useful part even overpaid it might be worth it. Culture change is needed.

Dallas just traded for Kari Lehtonen, so speculation is Turco is on the move.

maybe something like Visnovsky+Cogs+JDD for Niskanen+Neal+Turco.

Turco walks at the end of the year, so we get a salary dump, a great young defenseman and an awesome young power forward?

gr8one: maybe you guys should put on your ninja suits, kidnap Horcoff and water torture him until he agrees to retire. that pretty much seems to be the only way we could get away from that contract being our albatross for its duration.

I’ll get Dick Cheney on the phone.

To MM, I tend to agree. For Horcoff to be moved, we’re taking another garbage player with a high contract back. Sometimes a player rebounds to a certain extent. We’ve seen that a littl with Gomez in Montreal. He’s not worth his contract, but he’s a better player this year than the last few.

I still think it will be very hard to even find that type of deal for a guy who is likely, at best, a third line centre. I’b prefer Bobby Holik over him when Holik’s contract was brutal. At least you knew he’d win the face offs.

I don’t see Dallas giving up Neal gr8one. As much as it’s fair value, I don’t see it happening. I can see your reasoning and it’s equitable, but no way is Nisakanen or Neil moving. I guess the only thing that might swing that is Visnovsky and the loss of Zubov. They might be willing to move Niskanen, but I’d be surprised if they moved Neal. Maybe Ott and Brunnstrom is more realistic in place of Neal with another minor forward prospect from us like Reddox moving the other way.

chucker:
    I’ll get Dick Cheney on the phone.To MM, I tend to agree.For Horcoff to be moved, we’re taking another garbage player with a high contract back.Sometimes a player rebounds to a certain extent.We’ve seen that a littl with Gomez in Montreal.He’s not worth his contract, but he’s a better player this year than the last few.I still think it will be very hard to even find that type of deal for a guy who is likely, at best, a third line centre.I’b prefer Bobby Holik over him when Holik’s contract was brutal.At least you knew he’d win the face offs.I don’t see Dallas giving up Neal gr8one.As much as it’s fair value, I don’t see it happening.I can see your reasoning and it’s equitable, but no way is Nisakanen or Neil moving.I guess the only thing that might swing that is Visnovsky and the loss of Zubov.They might be willing to move Niskanen, but I’d be surprised if they moved Neal.Maybe Ott and Brunnstrom is more realistic in place of Neal with another minor forward prospect from us like Reddox moving the other way.

yeah, I agree that Dallas wouldn’t do that trade either, but it would be nice. Your suggestion isn’t a bad one either, but in place of Cogs I’d probably try and unload Nilsson.

Please tell me Cheney took your call?

18. Haboiler says:

If Pitts is in on Moreau, could we convince them to take Staois as well (they could use a steadying influence on the backend)and Pouliot instead and we will take Kunitz, Goddard & Eaton off their hands?

Moreau 2.0, one more yr
    Staois 2.7, one more yr
    Pouliot 0.825, RFA
    Total 5.525 Cap Hit

for

Kunitz 3.75 for 2 more years
    Eaton 800K this year, UFA
    Eric Goddard, 775K, UFA
    5.35 Cap Hit

Long Shot I know, but anything would be worthwhile to get Moreau out of the dressing room. One could argue that Moreau is an upgrade over Goddard, Staois and Eaton are a wash, and maybe Poo can reunite with Sid to capture that Jr. glory lol. Kunitz is having a horrible year as well.