2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, U.S.A. 2 (OT) – Feb 28, 2010 @ 1:15 PM MST – CTV

By , February 27, 2010 9:12 am
Canada vs. USA - Gold Medal Final
CAN Canada 3 FINAL (OT) USA United States 2
Gold Medal Final
Date: Feb 28 @ 1:15 PM MST
TV: CTV
Canada defeated Slovakia in Semifinal 3-2.
United States defeated Finland in Semifinal 6-1.

Well I’m not too sure if anyone cares about this game. It should pretty much come and go without anyone even noticing really. Just another old game between Canada and the United States. Just a game for a piece of ductile metal. Meaningless.

Obviously I’m being facetious here. This is one of those moments in hockey history that could be remembered for a while. How it is remembered is yet to be known. These games really have been fantastic for Canada, and it’s my hope that one of the end points of the games will be fantastic as well.

I’m sure no American or Canadian hockey fan needs to be reminded what happened the last time these two teams met, on February 21st, but for those that don’t know, it was of course a 5-3 win for the United States. Canadians consider hockey to be “our game”. No one is allowed to be better at it than us, and at least on that day, the U.S. was. So everyone donning that red jersey Sunday should have a lot to prove. I expect a pretty damn good show from Canada, and what remains to be seen for me is who in the Red, White and Blue are going to be doing the same. I expect a pretty epic game.

No prediction for today… I don’t want to jinx anything. I have a lot of hope for Canada, but let’s just see how it pans out. Hopefully both teams deliver an entertaining package. That’s all either countries fans can ask!

TEAM CANADA ROSTER

TEAM CANADA ROSTER
Goalies
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks/NHL),Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL)
Defence
Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Brent Seabrook (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators/NHL)
Forwards
Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins/NHL), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Dany Heatley (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames/NHL), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars/NHL), Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL)

TEAM USA ROSTER

TEAM USA ROSTER
Goalies
Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Tim Thomas (Boston Bruins/NHL), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings/NHL)
Defence
Brian Rafalski (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators/NHL), Paul Martin (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Jack Johnson (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Erik Johnson (St. Louis Blues/NHL), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Mike Komisarek (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Ryan Whitney (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Tim Gleason (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL)
Forwards
Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Zach Parise (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche/NHL), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Dustin Brown (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Bobby Ryan (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Ryan Malone (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers/NHL), Chris Drury (New York Rangers/NHL), David Backes (St. Louis Blues/NHL)

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 12:50 – Toews from Richards
Eric Johnson panics and passes a brutal pass to Rafalski (from just behind the goal line, about 5 feet forward), and Rafalski loses it to Richards. Richards shoots it on net and it’s saved by Miller but Toews gets the rebound in.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 7:13 – Perry from Getzlaf, Keith
Getzlaf carries it in the zone. He tries to throw it on net, but it hits an American defender and redirects to the slot to Perry. He beats Miller with a perfect shot.
USA USA – 12:44 – Kesler from Kane
Kane shoots it on net and it tips off Kesler’s stick out front and squeaks through Luongo’s right arm.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
USA USA – 19:36 – Parise from Langenbrunner, Kane
With the Americans pressing, Parise and Langenbrunner get behind the defense. The puck is on the doorstep for Parise, and he puts it in.
OVERTIME SCORING
CAN CAN – 7:40 – Crosby from Iginla
Iginla and Crobsy work it around together. Iginla takes it near the corner and passes it back to Crosby. He fires a quick shot off that beats Miller.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd OT Total
CAN CAN 10 15 7 7 39
USA USA 8 15 9 4 36

POST-GAME RANT

Well many of us who wished for a close game were taking our words back when the Americans were rallying in the 3rd and eventually tied it up. But thank the hockey gods… “the true North strong and free” won it. The Americans put on a hell of a show. One thing I’ll say is sometimes its too bad that with every winner comes a loser. But the Americans can be proud. They didn’t win gold, but they won a lot of respect. Congrats to Canada, and way to end this Olympics with an exclamation point! 14 golds for Canada.. the most ever by a host country. Correction: that is the highest gold medal count for any nation, period.

81 Responses to “2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, U.S.A. 2 (OT) – Feb 28, 2010 @ 1:15 PM MST – CTV”

Numerous errors in gdt pic have been correct. Oops ;)

It’s interesting, Canada continues the same basic cycle down low (Which I’m thinking that is Babcock’s doing) and many of the teams have yet to pick up on this. It is however simple yet effective.

I hate that I have to work tomorrow 9-5pm, while the new kid gets the day off because he apparently is “busy”, where I’ve worked at the same place for four years and asked for the day off with no go because “we don’t have enough people on”. It’s kind of retarded because I highly doubt too many people will be shopping for produce while the game is on, whether you like hockey or not. Oh well, maybe I’ll sneak an extra long coffee or something. (End college p/t job rant)

zackman, I think part of the reason the cycle stays effective is that most of our forwards are monsters, and it’s not so much that the other teams aren’t adjusting but that there just really isn’t much they CAN do about it.

4. NorwegianOiler says:

Although the one who should be most suited to a cycle game, namely Big Joe, has been outright poor in these Olympics. I’d argue that almost anyone could have replaced him without much difference, he’s done sweet nothing for the team. At least Horcoff would bring some intensity ;)

Yah Jumbo Joe’s idea of cycling is going in the corners and falling over when he’s pushed off the puck. :lol:

I don’t know what the deal is there.. out of shape?

hehe…yeah…

instead of “Jumbo Joe” his nick should be “Twinkle Toe Joe”…has nice ring to it eh?

Canada wins the gold in men’s curling..

Lucky 13?

Just as a comparison point, Canada had 0 gold, 2 silver and 3 bronze (5 overall medals) at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary (I use that as an example because it was the last games in Canada). In 2006, we had 7 gold, 10 Silver, 7 bronze (24 overall medals). This year so far we have 13 gold (leading in that), 7 Silver, 5 Bronze (25 overall medals).

8. Trogdor says:

Tied for most golds in all winter games as well now from what I heard. No pressure to take the all time gold tomorrow for the men. Mop the ice I say! Mop the ice!

I didn’t hear that.. I heard them say it was the highest gold count for a host country though since 1924 (if im not mistaken)

Yeah, I heard that too…13 Gold ties most ever by any country, one more Gold and we set the record.

Better hope you get that gold in another sport. Not happening in hockey my firends. we are all bitter rivals till monday!

NorwegianOiler: Although the one who should be most suited to a cycle game, namely Big Joe, has been outright poor in these Olympics. I’d argue that almost anyone could have replaced him without much difference, he’s done sweet nothing for the team. At least Horcoff would bring some intensity

Agreed. This guy sucks. He never shows up for the playoffs and always sucks internationally. The only reason he’s on the team is because of the line he centres. He’s a great regular season NHL point producer, but he doesn’t win you championships. That being said, Marleau has looked very good.

To Racki, yeah, Joe is famous for being flabby. He’s not ever in very good shape. It really shows when he gets pushed of the puck like a fluff of dandelion. To tell you the truth, I questioned him being on there from day one. His track record speaks for itself. He’s not a big game player.

Like I said, I just hope he plays well for the tournament and isn’t a liability. He’s not a guy that would even be in my top 30 if I was to pick a guy to build a franchise around. Thoresen had a better tourney than he did and he’s been cast off by two NHL teams. What does that say about Joe?

P.S. I’m ranting on him to try and get the karmic rebound i.e. he plays well and completely suffocates my view of him. :P

Let’s do this Canada!!!

The crowd is into this.. not that they haven’t been for every other game. This should be a good one!!!

I love how McGuire just ranted about Kesler knowing the boards so well in Vancouver and intentionally shooting wide when the replay clearly shows his shot ripping off the shins of Weber and then going wide. :lol:

Edmonton Journal’s twitter just said that Visnovsky was reprimanded by the IOC for pseudoephedrine in his system. It was taken in Advil Cold and Flu he consumed to help with sickness he was fighting. Not a big deal at all, but it’s against the rules and he apparently was unaware that it contained a banned substance.

P.s. Canada scores!!!!

Yahhhhhhh Toews!!!!!!

Assist to Erik Johnson for that horrible pass.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

USA was starting to push back, let’s get a goal here!

Yup. We need another before the intermission.

Yah for sure, keep the foot on the accelerator guys!

O-zone faceoff. Come on guys!!

Crap.

Joannie Rochette is going to carry the Cdn flag at the closing ceremonies. I was hoping they would ask her and that she would be up for it.

Yeah. Nice to see that.

oh wow, that’s awesome.. glad to hear she’ll be doing that. I think there would have been an uproar in Canada if anyone else carried it!

another PP.. come on boys

Oh yeah!!! Perry!!!

That worried me, the USA killing off a penalty then getting a pp right after, so happy Canada weathered that and then made good.

Jeez. That was a scary moment there.. but very good kill by Canada so far.

I hate to jinx us, but Canada looks like a much better team, this go round.

Ungh… squeaked through. You can tell Luongo hates himself on that one.

Yeah, deflected and got through. I hope you only jinxed us for 1 goal Racki!!

Man. Too close. We’re getting owned on the faceoffs.

kesler is a genital wart…i wouldn’t be sad to see someone headhunt him

that and getzlaf is going to have a “meeting” with johnson next nhl game

Well the game has been everything I’ve hoped for so far (I said I wanted a nail biter). I’m kinda wanting to see Canada pot 7 goals now, actually.. lol

Damn it Crosby! :P

LoooooooooooOOoOooOooooouuu

Oh man.. 2-2… 2 Americans all alone in front of the net.

Fuck.

This is the type of game I wanted too but it’s killing me.

Overtime. Damn.. this is what I had wanted, but in hindsight, I would have rather have had a blowout win for Canada! :P

LateNightOilFan: This is the type of game I wanted too but it’s killing me.

Ditto

Fucking Lu.

he better find his fucking game for OT.

lol…just saw this on twitter, and so true.

“Craig MacTavish to crowd: “Fact they tied it will just make it that much more spectacular for Canadians when we win it in overtime.”"

I don’t blame Lou for that last one.. two guys got behind our D (Langenbrunner and Parise). Only so much a guy can do. That said, the whole game I’ve been thinking he has been a littttle too shakey for my liking.

CANADA WINS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crosby!!