2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, U.S.A. 2 (OT) – Feb 28, 2010 @ 1:15 PM MST – CTV

By , February 27, 2010 9:12 am
Canada vs. USA - Gold Medal Final
CAN Canada 3 FINAL (OT) USA United States 2
Gold Medal Final
Date: Feb 28 @ 1:15 PM MST
TV: CTV
Canada defeated Slovakia in Semifinal 3-2.
United States defeated Finland in Semifinal 6-1.

Well I’m not too sure if anyone cares about this game. It should pretty much come and go without anyone even noticing really. Just another old game between Canada and the United States. Just a game for a piece of ductile metal. Meaningless.

Obviously I’m being facetious here. This is one of those moments in hockey history that could be remembered for a while. How it is remembered is yet to be known. These games really have been fantastic for Canada, and it’s my hope that one of the end points of the games will be fantastic as well.

I’m sure no American or Canadian hockey fan needs to be reminded what happened the last time these two teams met, on February 21st, but for those that don’t know, it was of course a 5-3 win for the United States. Canadians consider hockey to be “our game”. No one is allowed to be better at it than us, and at least on that day, the U.S. was. So everyone donning that red jersey Sunday should have a lot to prove. I expect a pretty damn good show from Canada, and what remains to be seen for me is who in the Red, White and Blue are going to be doing the same. I expect a pretty epic game.

No prediction for today… I don’t want to jinx anything. I have a lot of hope for Canada, but let’s just see how it pans out. Hopefully both teams deliver an entertaining package. That’s all either countries fans can ask!

TEAM CANADA ROSTER

TEAM CANADA ROSTER
Goalies
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks/NHL),Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL)
Defence
Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Brent Seabrook (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators/NHL)
Forwards
Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins/NHL), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Dany Heatley (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames/NHL), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars/NHL), Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL)

TEAM USA ROSTER

TEAM USA ROSTER
Goalies
Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Tim Thomas (Boston Bruins/NHL), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings/NHL)
Defence
Brian Rafalski (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators/NHL), Paul Martin (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Jack Johnson (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Erik Johnson (St. Louis Blues/NHL), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Mike Komisarek (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Ryan Whitney (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Tim Gleason (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL)
Forwards
Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Zach Parise (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche/NHL), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Dustin Brown (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Bobby Ryan (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Ryan Malone (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers/NHL), Chris Drury (New York Rangers/NHL), David Backes (St. Louis Blues/NHL)

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 12:50 – Toews from Richards
Eric Johnson panics and passes a brutal pass to Rafalski (from just behind the goal line, about 5 feet forward), and Rafalski loses it to Richards. Richards shoots it on net and it’s saved by Miller but Toews gets the rebound in.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 7:13 – Perry from Getzlaf, Keith
Getzlaf carries it in the zone. He tries to throw it on net, but it hits an American defender and redirects to the slot to Perry. He beats Miller with a perfect shot.
USA USA – 12:44 – Kesler from Kane
Kane shoots it on net and it tips off Kesler’s stick out front and squeaks through Luongo’s right arm.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
USA USA – 19:36 – Parise from Langenbrunner, Kane
With the Americans pressing, Parise and Langenbrunner get behind the defense. The puck is on the doorstep for Parise, and he puts it in.
OVERTIME SCORING
CAN CAN – 7:40 – Crosby from Iginla
Iginla and Crobsy work it around together. Iginla takes it near the corner and passes it back to Crosby. He fires a quick shot off that beats Miller.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd OT Total
CAN CAN 10 15 7 7 39
USA USA 8 15 9 4 36

POST-GAME RANT

Well many of us who wished for a close game were taking our words back when the Americans were rallying in the 3rd and eventually tied it up. But thank the hockey gods… “the true North strong and free” won it. The Americans put on a hell of a show. One thing I’ll say is sometimes its too bad that with every winner comes a loser. But the Americans can be proud. They didn’t win gold, but they won a lot of respect. Congrats to Canada, and way to end this Olympics with an exclamation point! 14 golds for Canada.. the most ever by a host country. Correction: that is the highest gold medal count for any nation, period.

81 Responses to “2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, U.S.A. 2 (OT) – Feb 28, 2010 @ 1:15 PM MST – CTV”

Holy wow Crosby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hats off to the Americans…Huge props to them!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

YAHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!! These Olympics officially kick all sorts of ass.

Funny they just showed an outdoor pic labelled Cole Harbour – I wonder where the broad daylight is in the midst of all the darkness outside.

The bar is Big Leagues, about 5 minutes from where I live, about a 30 sec drive from Cole Harbour Place where Sid grew up playing and where my son plays now.

Huge monkey off Luongo’s back.

So fantastic to win GOLD on home soil. Did it the hard way but they got it done!

I feel bad for the USA though. Silver sucks because you have to lose to win it. You don’t realize how well you did to get there until much later. With Bronze you celebrate more because you just won to get it.

But of course GOLD is absolutely the sweetest.

Yup, good point LNOF about “losing to win Silver”

Man those fans are singing the anthem pretty damn loud.

Why did some old man have a bunch of Mardi Gras beads around his neck? lol

Racki: I don’t blame Lou for that last one.. two guys got behind our D (Langenbrunner and Parise). Only so much a guy can do. That said, the whole game I’ve been thinking he has been a littttle too shakey for my liking.

It was prior to that when Lu had an easy glove save that he bobbled and dropped rather than holding it for a stoppage. Myabe it had to do with having to watch it on NBC, but they were talking the entire game about how shaky Lu looked, but I honestly couldn’t disagree with them.

I still think we won this tourney despite our goaltending, but who cares…we WON IT!!!!

great great game, and huge props to the Americants, I honestly thought we were going to dominate, but they made a game of it for the ages!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Yah actually I was even thinking it myself… I was worried Lou was going to blow it at some point in the game. And I noted the bobbled glove save (which he did at least twice that game). But we got it, and that’s all that matters!

I’m proud of the Boys from the USA. They played their hearts out and they shocked everyone by getting where they did. Congrats to canada. Now lets get some oilers trades rolling!

Yah, to be honest, I had the Americans ranked maybe #4. A lot of countries surprised me.. in some cases in a good way, in some cases bad. But yah, the Americans doing so well really surprised me. Losing to them the first game was a big surprise. So good on them for pulling off a good Olys.

Damn, trade deadline coming, hey? Back to reality….

We’ve been hanging on to the Q3 review for the Oilers for a bit now, given that it was Olympic hockey. I almost feel dirty posting it, but I think I’ll put it up Monday.

Comical start to the closing ceremonies as they mock the broken arm of the torch that wouldn’t rise in the opener. They have it sparking this time around, and stuff flies out of it.. then out appears a mime. He mimes helping the thing along.

haha…yeah, that was awesome!

This closing games has been pretty amazing so far, actually. And Sochi has already impressed and the games haven’t even started yet there. lol

I wonder if NHL’ers will be going to Russia in 2014…

I hope so. Ovechkin and Malkin and co. playing back home in Sochi, going for the gold. That would be pretty epic. As much as I want Canada to win them all ;) I assume that the NHL is trying to force Russia’s hand for a transfer agreement of sorts though.

Bostonoiler: I wonder if NHL’ers will be going to Russia in 2014…

can’t see it not happening, if only because the Russians will go berzerk if they are not allowed to compete in the games they will be hosting.

russians would be going regardless (at least ovechkin said he would be)

but if the nhl doesn’t realize this helps the game, then they are all stupid

Yah Ovechkin and others would for sure go, but you have to wonder if the NHL would suspend them or anything like that if they wanted to play hardball that badly and be the big bad meanies.

I would be surprised now though if they didn’t have NHLers for that one.

ugh…nickelback

i guess they don’t want anyone returning to canada

i was going to complain about avril and alanis…but right now they are looking like the high points

At least Avril’s performance was real. Ditto on Simple Plan (and now Hedley). I think at this point the ceremony is pretty much over and now its time to whip out all the pop music.

Marie May (sp?) wins the gold in the french babe singing competition.

Racki: Mary May (sp?) wins the gold in the french babe singing competition.

agreed

Steve-O: agreed

I third and motion carried.

Racki: I’m about 99.9999% sure that Nickleback lipsynced that performance. Boooooo-urns. But as much as we dislike Nickleback, there are many Canadians out there that love them.

Don’t mind Nickelback actually but yeah I’m pretty sure it was lipsynching but then again I think a few other things were too. I was not a big fan of the closing ceremonies at all, the opening ceremonies were pretty interesting I thought a good way to show the aboriginal side of things it was like Canada grew up and matured a bit. Then these closing ceremonies said otherwise.

I liked Alanis’s dress but I missed Marie May. I can’t believe that one girl that sings the believe song is only 16! Anyways, all in all great winter games would love to see them back in Canada in about 16-20 years.

Yah there were a few for sure that lip synched. I turned it off after Kaos or something like that. Before all the pop musicians came out though, the closing ceremonies were pretty good. Although yah, I wondered why no native performance.

30. mrgod2u says:

Well, that was awesome.

Now back to hating Luongo. I’m sure going to miss cheering for a team that I can realistically expect to win…

Yah I actually began cheering Iginla on… I keep showering.. can’t get clean.. can’t get clean.. dirty dirty!