2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, Slovakia 2 – Feb 26, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST – CTV

By , February 25, 2010 10:18 pm
Olympic 2010 GDT - Slovakia vs. Canada
CAN Canada vs. SVK Slovakia
Semifinals
Date: Feb 26 @ 7:30 PM MST
TV: CTV
Slovakia defeated Sweden in Quarterfinal 4-3.
Canada defeated Russia in Quarterfinal 7-3.

Well Canada did the unthinkable in their last game… not just a win against a team they haven’t beaten at the Olympics in half a century, but a huge, 7-3 win. This team seams to finally have gotten it together, getting some secondary scoring. The goaltending is still a bit of a question mark, but I wouldn’t say Luongo let in anything particularly bad the last game. Slovakia, meanwhile, is getting some pretty spectacular goaltending from Jaroslav Halak. They also are coming off a big unexpected win of their own, vs. last Olympics’ winner Sweden. This could be another tough battle like the one vs. U.S.A., if Halak has his way.

I’m not even sure what to predict. I’m hoping that Canada’s offense is again firing on all cylinders and I’ll guess a 5-0 win for Canada.

TEAM CANADA ROSTER

TEAM CANADA ROSTER
Goalies
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks/NHL),Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL)
Defence
Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Brent Seabrook (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators/NHL)
Forwards
Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins/NHL), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Dany Heatley (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames/NHL), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars/NHL), Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL)

TEAM SLOVAKIA ROSTER

TEAM SLOVAKIA ROSTER
Goalies
Jaroslav Halák (Montreal Canadiens/NHL), Peter Budaj (Colorado Avalanche/NHL), Rastislav Staňa (Severstaľ Čerepovec/KHL)
Defence
Zdeno Chára (Boston Bruins/NHL), Milan Jurčina (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Richard Lintner (Dinamo Minsk/KHL), Andrej Meszároš (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL), Andrej Sekera (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Ľubomír Višňovský (Edmonton Oilers/NHL), Martin Štrbák (HK MVD/KHL)
Forwards
Ľuboš Bartečko (Bern/Švajč.), Branko Radivojevič, Martin Cibák (obaja Spartak Moskva/KHL), Pavol Demitra (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Marián Gáborík (New York Rangers/NHL), Michal Handzuš (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Marián Hossa (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Marcel Hossa (Dinamo Riga/KHL), Tomáš Kopecký (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Žigmund Pálffy (HK 36 Skalica/SR), Jozef Stümpel (Barys Astana/KHL), Miroslav Šatan (bez klubovej príslušnosti), Richard Zedník (Lokomotiv Jaroslavľ/KHL)

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 13:30 – Marleau from Weber, Neidermayer
CAN CAN – 15:17 – Morrow from Pronger, Getzlaf
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 16:54 – Getzlaf from Perry, Pronger
3RD PERIOD SCORING
SVK SVK – 11:35 – Visnovsky from Stumpel
SVK SVK – 15:07 – Handzus from Zednik, Satan
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
CAN CAN 10 11 7 28
SVK SVK 4 5 12 21

POST-GAME RANT

Wow.. this game started off kind of slow and looked like it would be a cakewalk for Canada. I was only half into it, and already looking towards the US/Canada gold medal game when the first goal by Slovakia hit. OK… only one goal, no problem. Suddenly, a few seconds, another goal.. with 5 minutes to go. Wow, this is serious now, the score is 3-2. Everyone is into it now, with Slovakia really pushing hard, the crowd is going bananas cheering Canada on. Let me tell you, that final minute was one of the most intense minutes of hockey I’ve sat through. It ranks up there with many of the glorious playoffs I’ve watched. During that whole minute everyone on the ice was sacrificing the body.. pushing hard and pushing hard. THe whole while I thought “oh man, these guys are going to tire out!”. Luongo made an absolutely game clinching save on Demitra from point blank when he was completely down and out. With Demitra looking at a wide 6×4 cage, Luongo through the desperation glove out and tipped his shot above the net. Unbelievable. The remaining 10 seconds ticked away fairly quickly with Canada relieving the pressure a bit. Way to go boys!!! Bring on the Americans!

26 Responses to “2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, Slovakia 2 – Feb 26, 2010 @ 7:30 PM MST – CTV”

There’s a lot of crazy dots, dashes and squiddlee doos in Slovakian names.

I hope we squiddlee doo them all over the ice tomorrow. :P

hehe…i hope it’s close…i hope they scare the hell out of us, and I hope the US wins and then I hope we absolutely annihilate them.

I got rode way to hard down here after the loss to them.

I would be surprised if tomorrow is a walk, but then again, if they bring the same game they did against the Russkies, it may be.

Halak has been unconscious though. Man I wish we traded for him a couple seasons ago like some of us wanted to. He’s not going anywhere now. Price will be.

Yup… I’ve been all about Halak for a while, and his value is only going to rocket up after this tourney.

Racki: Yup, that’s what I’m hoping for too, Gr8one… well, not so much the squeaker of a win vs. Slovakia, but I hope the US wins tomorrow, and I hope we win tomorrow, and I hope we absolutely decimate the Americans on Sunday. How thrilling would that be? (sorry to the American visitors here, but hey, definitely what I’d love to see!)

I like that scenario too – the opposite of the World Jr’s results this year. Need to stay focussed on beating the Slovaks first though.

8. mrgod2u says:

As much as I like the idea of a rematch against the States, I would rather play against Finland in the final. Then Slovakia can beat the States for Bronze. I hold a bad grudge and the idea of the States with no medal is sweeter than them with a Silver.

Well folks, the Americans are completely destroying Finland right now. It’s period 1 and the score is 6-0 currently. Yikes. I still want to play them though. We better beat Slovakia!

10. jakobi_obi says:

USA!

Yeah Racki, although it’s not so much how great the Americants are playing, but Finland really did not show up to play, not that they’re playing bad though either.

This game also very much has the potential to make them cocky and overconfident.

I have to go out tonight for date night. :P I’ll be hoping for the boys from my dinner out. Just get ‘er done boys!!

One of our co-workers here showed up in a Slovakian t-shirt. Needless to say, everyone is giving her a hard time.

ooh please count.. 1-0 canada?

Canada leads 2-0 for those who can’t follow the game… I am unable to post my regular updates tonight as I don’t have the time to currently.

3-2 Canada… nottttt good. Was hoping it would be easier than this.

Unfuckingbelievable ending. 3-2 Cnada. Luongo robs Demitra with a desperation save with seconds left!!

This played out perfectly as far as I’m concerned, Slovak’s put enough of scare into us so we’re not overconfident, and the U.S. has gotta be feeling cocky.

but those last two chances that Demitra had there were crazy, especially the last one, can’t believe that stayed out.

I feel confident about our chances, the ONLY thing that concerns me is Lu still doesn’t look razor sharp whereas Miller is.

DO YOU LIKE SILVER???? I HOPE SO!!!!! USA USA USA!!!

20. Beret says:

Slovaks could win, i hope that….they ware best on tournament…. fuck :( …so, we must now destroy finland, that is only satisfaction….for me: SLOVAKIA 8:0 FINLAND

3x Gaborik
    2x Hossa
    Demitra
    Hanzus
    Chara

Beret: Slovaks could win, i hope that….they ware best on tournament…. fuck …so, we must now destroy finland, that is only satisfaction….for me: SLOVAKIA 8:0 FINLAND3x Gaborik
    2x Hossa
    Demitra
    Hanzus
    Chara

lol…now thta’s an awesome post…love it.

If Canada wins, I think Boston Oiler should shave a maple leaf in his hair.

If the US wins, then I’ll uhm.. punch the first person I see in anger?

23. NorwegianOiler says:

If the US wins, Racki has to fly an American flag in his yard for a week! ;)

Superb game, too bad the Slovaks couldn’t take it to overtime…

Haha I’d get lynched!

For those that wanted a goaltender to step up and play like Miller did against us, finally… well, Luongo saved the day big time in the last 10-ish seconds. It was an enormous save on par with that big cross-crease save that Fleury made in the final seconds of the Stalney cup clinching game to seal the deal. Only difference was that Canada didn’t win it all on it, but pretty much everything was on the line though since losing that means no more gold attempt.

Luongo was clutch for sure, but he did show a lapse in concentration allowing the first goal that got the Slovacs going in the 3rd. But that’s how it can be sometimes, all about timing for goalies, and Lou shut it down when the game was on the line.

Man that was nerve racking. I was getting nervous when the crowd started chanting for USA and when the commentators started talking like the game was in the bag in the first half of the 3rd. Sure enough, the Slovac got that opening goal they needed and that’ll teach everyone for looking ahead!

Anyway, Canada needs to come out of the gate against the USA like they did against the Russians. I really, really hope this is just like the juniors but with the teams flipped! The USA avenged their loss in the early rounds by taking the junior Gold, Canada needs to do just the same for Olympic Gold.

And I really, really hope that the Slovacs get bronze. They have been amazing this tourney and are going to continue to be a force in international hockey for a long time.

Racki: If Canada wins, I think Boston Oiler should shave a maple leaf in his hair. If the US wins, then I’ll uhm.. punch the first person I see in anger?

Sorry man I’m not cutting my hair until after high school hockey playoffs. Our team is nasty.