2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, USA 5 – Feb 21, 2010 @ 5:40 PM MST – CTV

CAN Canada 3 FINAL USA USA 5
Preliminary Round Game 3
Date: Feb 21 @ 5:40 PM MST
TV: CTV
Canada: 1-1-0-0
USA: 2-0-0-0

Well here it is, the game we’ve been waiting for. No, not the gold, but who doesn’t love a good old battle between the US and Canada? This should be Canada’s toughest battle of this Olympics so far, having easily walked over Norway in the first game. The second game probably didn’t go as anyone had planned. It was a win, but Canada struggled to put the puck in the net behind Hiller. Despite outshooting the Swiss by a 2-to-1 ratio, Canada needed extra time and the shootout to lock the win (3-2). Sidney Crosby was the lone goal scorer in the shootout (on his second attempt – after the first 3 shooters for each team, there is no limitation on the number of times a single player can shoot), and Brodeur sealed the win by whipping the glove out on a great save on a shot by Martin Plüss.

TEAM CANADA ROSTER

TEAM CANADA ROSTER
Goalies
Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks/NHL),Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Marc-Andre Fleury (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL)
Defence
Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Duncan Keith (Chicago Blackhawks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Brent Seabrook (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators/NHL)
Forwards
Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins/NHL), Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Dany Heatley (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames/NHL), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars/NHL), Rick Nash (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Mike Richards (Philadelphia Flyers/NHL), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Jonathan Toews (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL)

TEAM USA ROSTER

TEAM USA ROSTER
Goalies
Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Tim Thomas (Boston Bruins/NHL), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings/NHL)
Defence
Brian Rafalski (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Ryan Suter (Nashville Predators/NHL), Paul Martin (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Jack Johnson (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Erik Johnson (St. Louis Blues/NHL), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Mike Komisarek (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Ryan Whitney (Pittsburgh Penguins/NHL), Tim Gleason (Carolina Hurricanes/NHL)
Forwards
Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Zach Parise (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche/NHL), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks/NHL), Dustin Brown (Los Angeles Kings/NHL), Bobby Ryan (Anaheim Ducks/NHL), Ryan Malone (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers/NHL), Chris Drury (New York Rangers/NHL), David Backes (St. Louis Blues/NHL)

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST PERIOD SCORING
USA USA – 0:41 – Rafalski from Suter
A shot from the point changes direction in front of Brodeur off of Crosby, and goes in the net.
CAN CAN – 8:53 – Staal from Seabrook, Toews
A wrister from the point by Seabrook is tipped by Staal in the slot below Miller’s glove.
USA USA – 9:15 – Rafalaski
Brodeur baseball bats a dump in out of mid air and right to Rafalski at the blue line. Rafalaski skates into the high slot and beats Brodeur with a low wrist shot.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 3:32 – Heatley from Toews, Weber
Toews protects the puck behind the goal and carries it out front. He throws a blind shot on Miller that is saved. Heatley bangs the rebound in from the side of the net.
USA USA – 16:46 – Drury from Ryan, Backes
With Brodeur scrambling in his net, the puck slips into the slot area where Drury is there to put it away
3RD PERIOD SCORING
USA USA – 7:09 – Langenbrunner (PP) from Rafalski, Suter
Rafalski receives a puck on a platter from Suter at the top of the faceoff circle. He one times it through traffic, and Langenbrunner tips it through Brodeur’s legs.
CAN CAN – 16:51 – Crosby (PP) from Nash, Keith
With the PP almost over, Nash gets it at the goal line and throws it to Crosby who is there on the doorstep to tip it by Miller.
USA USA – 19:16 – Kesler (EN) from Parise
With Brodeur pulled, the Americans dump the puck into the Canadian zone. Perry is the lone man back and he half-asses it into the zone. Kesler comes in behind him and dives around him, and swings at the puck with one hand, knocking it in the net.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
CAN CAN 19 12 14 45
USA USA 6 13 3 22

POST-GAME SUMMARY

Well, the Canadians battled pretty hard tonight. The story of the game tonight was Ryan Miller who was phenomenal for the Americans. The Canadians also took a string of penalties to hinder their ability to make a comeback.

The Canadians now have a tough road ahead of them. They will face Germany on Tuesday at 5:30PM MST. If they win that game, they will then face the Russians in the quarterfinal, which should be a heck of a challenge. The US finishes at the top of Group A, and will get a bye into the quarterfinal.

129 Responses to “2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, USA 5 – Feb 21, 2010 @ 5:40 PM MST – CTV”

Man… that was a nice play by Kesler.. very nice… highlighted by Perry skating like he had a piano tied to his ass. Absolutely no way should he have been beaten to that puck. Sorry, but what a dipshit.

2. Trogdor says:

Extra game to gel. Hopefully it happens. I wonder who’s going to get ripped by the papers tomorrow?

Anyone that took a penalty tonight.. :P

The US only got one goal on the PP, but hard for us to mount a comeback when we’re shorthanded.

I’m also really choked at Perry for being beaten to that puck. That was horrible work ethic on his part.

4. Trogdor says:

That was terrible, he felt him on his back. He was there first, and could have put the puck to the boards at least.

You know what sucks the most about this loss? All the over-analyzing and bellyaching that’s about to follow in this country. Canada just needs to put this behind them and stay focussed on the final goal.

Next game, Tuesday @ 5:30 (MST) vs. Germany. Wooooo

7. Trogdor says:

Racki: Next game, Tuesday @ 5:30 (MST) vs. Germany. Wooooo

Do they have a goalie that can stand on their head?

Yah the Canadians are down, but far from out. But at the same time, we don’t want to see a repeat of 2006… so that’s why these guys are over-analysing / bellyaching. :P

This loss might be the best thing to happen to this team.

Gregor makes a great point on a recent tweet.

“Jason Gregor
    Canada will play Russia on Wednesday if they can beat Germany on Tuesday…wow…that will be an epic quarterfinal game.”

Safe to assume we beat Germany I’d say, so IMO the winner of Russia/Canada will be the eventual Gold medal winner.(not going out on a limb too far there I guess)

Trogdor:
    Do they have a goalie that can stand on their head?

I think Brodeur was good tonight, but not anywhere as good as Miller. All 3 of our goalies have the ability to steal games though. I think they should play Loo vs. Russia though. So who gets Tuesday’s game then if that’s the case? Back-to-back for Luongo?

gr8one: This loss might be the best thing to happen to this team.Gregor makes a great point on a recent tweet.“Jason Gregor

On one hand I’m looking forward to it, on another… not so much!

Its too bad the Sweden / Finland game is so late.. that’s going to be a hell of a game though> I’ll try and catch as much as I can.

13. Trogdor says:

Well, I’m outta here. See everyone on Tuesday. Some of you at work tomorrow when I make my triumphant return.

Alrighty, thanks all for stopping by! See you at work, Trogdor.

Racki:
    On one hand I’m looking forward to it, on another… not so much!

heh, yeah..I know exactly what you mean, but I really believe this loss will have a solidifying effect to this team, I think we win an amazing game against the Russians, and then roll on to a Gold. I just hope we get another shot at the Americans along the way and annhilate them.

I say we go with Lou, we need a changing of the guard, and of course if(when) he wins, we have to go with him the rest of the way.

Miller. Called it unfortunately. He reminds me of Hasek in Nagano…..

chucker: Miller. Called it unfortunately. He reminds me of Hasek in Nagano…..

Yep. You nearly called the score too!
    I had a bad feeling about this game all day long, I just figured if Miller was on his game it was going to be really tough, which it was.

Canada just nailed their ice dance routine and pulled into the lead over the Americans. Guess we’ll have to take some solace in that tonight!

Good night!

19. Horpensky says:

A random rant:

USA USA USA!!!!!!!! So pumped with the upset

Horpensky: A random rant:
    The entire point of picking Seabrook on the team was to play in a tandem with Keith. Keith TOI: 24:05, Seabrook TOI: 8:02. I wasn’t a fan of Seabrook being picked to the team, but that was the whole reasoning was to play with Keith. Now it looks like we’re having trouble scoring goals, and I think Mike Green would have been a better addition than Seabrook if you’re not going to play him with Keith.Same thing with Patrice Bergeron. He was to be used as the ‘utility’ guy in any situation. Well he got 5 minutes of ice time tonight. I personally think Stamkos would have been a better addition with his wicked shot.Having Green and Stamkos would make our offense (and PP) MUCH more aggressive, and I think our offense is really keeping us from winning games.

not saying I don’t disagree with you, but really, no matter what players we brought there would have been second guessing.

and hindsight is 20-20…maybe Green is here and coughs up the puck for a GWG against the everyone would be saying why didn’t we bring someone more defensive minded.

But really, you make some pretty valid points regarding both those players…although, I personally bring Vinny to the the show over Bergeron. but yeah, I would have taken Lecavalier, Carter, Stamkos or Spezza over Bergeron.

Bergeron has always seemed like an odd choice to me. Would have liked to have seen Stamkos, although youth can be a bit of a double edged sword.

23. Horpensky says:

I thought the choice for Bergeron was more of over-analyzing each situation. When discussing rosters, they were like…what happens when we need to win an important right dot faceoff in our own zone, or when we need a goal scored, or someone gets injured, or to check the Sedins. The answer to all, Bergeron!

But I keep seeing him underused a lot, hence his lower ice time. I just think Babcock and Yzerman just aren’t quite on the same page. If you saw that mini-documentary, Yzerman and co. had the lines and pairings set in stone, but of course Babcock is going to juggle them. Doughty was suppose to be the #7, now he’s #2 and Pronger has been cruddy. Keith and Seabrook have been split. Sharks line might need to be split. Wingers with Crosby/Nash change by the minute (seen Toews, Richards, Iggy).

Yzerman’s vision is being distorted now as the chemistry he imagined hasn’t quite worked out, and now I think the most important thing this team needs is to find that chemistry, and FAST because they run into a hot goalie and they can’t score. They don’t have the raw scoring talent of Green or Stamkos (and I think even using them as PP specialist would make a huge difference), so they rely heavily on chemistry to get the scoring going.

24. DropIt says:

Well, I guess I’ve turned intoit that canuck fan. Luongo should start. Also, I’ve turned into that Oiler fan that despises the existance of Chris Pronger.

Perry shouldn’t see the ice against Germany. And I’m really starting to question Babcock’s coaching. That Thornton line is always out there.
    Heatley is dominant, but Thornton has the soul of a swedish ice dancer.

I would tend to agree with all that you said, DropIt. I was thinking that they should put Heatley with Crosby and Nash (or Iggy). That Thornton line probably becomes a lot less dangerous though. Jumbo Joe looked slow and soft on the puck yesterday. And I was in favor of Pronger, but he didn’t look so good to me yesterday either.

The Germans might be a good team to experiment against with some lineup changes.

26. DropIt says:

Nash really hasn’t impressed me much so far.

Well, I guess we get an extra game to work on things. This is a tougher road to gold for sure. I guess the good thing is we get to see (hopefully) a Canada vs. Russia game and if we win that, likely a Canada vs. Sweden game.

You gotta beat the best to be the best I guess. I’m still pissed about last night though.

28. Bruce says:

DropIt: Agreed, I would also like to know why Crosby’s RW position is the one constantly rotating?Nash really hasn’t impressed me much so far.

Sounds like Crosby plays between Iginla and Staal tomorrow night. Not quite sure where Nash slots in, maybe with Getzlaf and Perry? But he’s off Sid’s line from the sounds of it.

I really like Rick Nash, but I actually was surprised Iginla was taken away from Crosby. Nash is a guy who has ability to make things happen on his own. I definitely like Iginla on the top line better, but thats no knock against Nash at all.

Two forwards I’ve been less than impressed with lately are Jumbo Joe and Corey Perry. If it didn’t lower the effectiveness of that line, I’d pull Heatley off the Sharks line and put him with Crosby/Iggy. I do like Marleau’s play, on the other hand. So again, nerfing his fellow winger wouldn’t be so good.

As for Perry, before he tanked it with a minute left, he seemed out of place to me… like average Joe amongst stars. But hopefully he has a chip on his shoulder now and feels a need to redeem himself a bit. There are some guys though that got obvious free rides because of teammate chemistry. That is somewhat of a good idea, but it limits the line combinations. I’d put maybe Richards in there with Nash/Getzlaf if Perry wasn’t a lock.

Tough decisions right now, but they should be able to play around a bit vs. Germany if they can get a solid enough lead.