2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, Switzerland 2 (SO) – Feb 18, 2010 @ 5:30 PM MST – CTV

SUI Switzerland 2 FINAL (SO) CAN Canada 3
Preliminary Round Game 2
Date: Feb 18 @ 5:30 PM MST
TV: CTV
Canada: 1-0-0
Switzerland: 0-1-0

Game two for Canada sees them face Jonas Hiller and the Swiss. The Swiss have been known, in recent years anyways, for their tight defensive play. I expect a lower scoring game tonight than there was in Canada’s first game in which they won 8-0 vs. Norway. The Swiss lost their first game 3-1 to the Americans on Tuesday.

I’m going to say this one is a 5-1 final for Canada. The Canadians just have far too strong a team that even the tightest of defenses will struggle with. It should be a pretty good game to watch. Players of interest on the Swiss this year are goaltender Jonas Hiller, and defensemen Mark Streit (of the New York Islanders) and Anaheim Ducks prospect / 2009 1st-rounder Luca Sbisa.

SCORING SUMMARY

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 9:21 – Heatley from Marleau, Toews
Marleau gets it behind the goal line and passes out front to Heatley. Heatley kicks it to his stick and wrists it low behind a sprawling Hiller.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAN CAN – 0:35 Marleau (PP) from Heatley, Weber
The shot from the point by Weber is initially saved. The rebound comes out to Marleau, and he taps it in behind Hiller.
SUI SUI – 8:59 – Rüthemann from Plüss, Paterlini
Rüthemann steps over the blue line and blasts a laser of a slapper that beats Brodeur on the glove side from far out.
SUI SUI – 19:50 – von Gunten from Monnet, Furrer
The puck is thrown from the mid-side boards. It banks in off Marleau in the slot.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
No scoring.
OVERTIME SCORING
No scoring.

SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd OT GWS Total
SUI SUI 8 9 3 3 0 23
CAN CAN 17 10 18 1 1 47

SHOOTOUT SUMMARY

SUI SUI – Domenichelli – NO GOAL
- Slap shot from the slot, low, brodeur saves it.
CAN CAN – Crosby – NO GOAL
- Crosby dekes, goes from backhand to forehand and runs out of room as Hiller follows and spreads across the net.
SUI SUI – Lemm – NO GOAL
Fakes shot, Brodeur goes down, Lemm fans on it
CAN CAN – Toews – NO GOAL
Toews comes in shooting, glove side, and Hiller snaps the arm out.
SUI SUI- Wick – NO GOAL
Wick fakes shot, goes to the forehand for the shot and Brodeur sticks the leg and blocker arm out, covering any net he could have shot at.
CAN CAN – Getzlaf – NO GOAL
Goes backhand and then forehand and doesn’t get a good shot off. It is swallowed up low by Hiller’s pads.
CAN CAN – Crosby – GOAL
Shoots from the slot and beats Hiller low, blocker side.
SUI SUI- Pluss – NO GOAL
Comes in and whips a hard shot on net from the high slot and Brodeur snaps the glove out making the save.

POST-GAME SUMMARY

I unfortunately didn’t get to see much of the game, so my summary is brief here… what I did notice (through my casual viewing) was Hiller standing on his head. Great game played by him tonight, and he helped keep the score close in what should have been a higher score for the Canadians.

Next game, Sunday at 5:40 MST (yes, 5:40) vs. USA. This is the one to watch of the preliminary round! You have no excuse for missing this one… Valentine’s Day was last weekend.

21 Responses to “2010 Olys GDT – Canada 3, Switzerland 2 (SO) – Feb 18, 2010 @ 5:30 PM MST – CTV”

1. DropIt says:

5-1 Canada

Iggy gets 2 more.

Brodeur will let one in, and then we will never hear the end of why Luongo should start in net from Vancouver fans nation wide.

2. Oilersman says:

Agreed, Brodeur is clutch at a level Luongo could never achieve, in fact clutch is something he is far FROM…

I wish these games started a little later. But I know they don’t have much choice, having to fit 3 games in, in a day. I think you folks out east probably appreciate the start time too, mind you.

Big save, Marty B!

Hiller is playing unconscious right now.

Wow, where was everyone tonight?

Canada pulls out a win, they knew it was going to be a tough game and hopefully they’re better off for persevering through it. I love how the commentators were talking about how they lost a point in the process. You can’t lose what you never had, you just have to try to earn what’s available. If you can’t, you know you have to work harder. They’ve got a couple days now to do just that. Really, really looking forward to the game vs the USA. Go Canada!

Yah, I was surprised no one was around. I watched a good portion of the game, but wasn’t near my computer much though.

3-2 in the shoot out? Holy fuck. These boys better get their shit together. I hear Hiller was amazing though, but still. No way should this go to a shootout, especially after Turin….

Yah Hiller was pretty damn good.. made some pretty huge saves.

10. DropIt says:

I’m just thankful this game happened against the Swiss.
    Hopefully this game opened some eyes in that dressing room.

That Thornton line ius getting rediculous minuyes so far this tournament, but I don’t think they are as affective as they were made out to be…

11. Oilersman says:

Wow, way to go Lubo!!!! Team Slovakia upsets Russia, WHAAAAT????

Yah that was a huge surprise… Russia was supposed to have a pretty dominant team, whereas Slovakia they have a decent team, but not one you would consider dominant.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

I’d say Racki’s statement fits most for Canada: “Canada was supposed to have a pretty dominant team” ;)

Just the preliminary rounds, the fun has yet to begin.

NorwegianOiler: I find it less surprising that Russia let their guard down against Slovakia, which is a decent enough team, than seeing that Canada failed to break Switzerland until a shootout. :D
    Just the preliminary rounds, the fun has yet to begin.

Yah, I was surprised, and I wasn’t surprised. The Swiss don’t get a lot of credit, but they are a pretty tight defensive group. So I wasn’t surprised the score was low, but I was surprised it took a shoot out to win it (I predicted 5-1! well off the mark on that one). It also didn’t help that 2 of the Swiss goals weren’t what I’d call stellar. One banked in off someone in front, the other was a laser of a shot, but one that was from far enough range that perhaps Brodeur should have had it.

As far as the offense, Hiller really stood on his head, and thats how teams from the “lesser” hockey countries are going to win these games… good goaltending/defense.

zackman35: Well I just learned about how it’s pretty tough to find video highlights for the Olympics. Hiller’s stock went up last night, even though it’s irrelevant, what’s more interesting is Halak’s though. I’ve been trying to see some footage of him playing.

I’ve been banging the Halak drum for a loooong time now. Chucker has too. I wish the Oil would have scooped him up. I take him over Price any day, or any of the hacks we have in net here.

17. neufab says:

I would like Halak, but with what the Oilers have invested in Khabibulin, the odds don’t look good. It would be the smart move, although the Canadians would want a lot more than JDD, and rightfully so. What do you think it would take to get Halak? They too have a bunch of small forwards.

I don’t think it would have taken much, pre-Olympics. If he keeps doing well, you’d have to think his stock is going to rise. But I do think goalies are still in a pretty saturated market, so it shouldn’t break us to pry even a guy like Halak away. I’m guessing they’d want a pick and perhaps a prospect though. But I am not even sure what to speculate. Perhaps JFJ + JDD would do it…? The Canadiens need the size, for sure. I am a big fan of Jacques now though, so I’m not too keen on him being traded. But for a guy like Halak, hell yes.

I’ve always thought that the Canadiens were shopping the wrong guy though. Nothing against Price, but they seem to be trying to make him into the next Dryden, but may be hurting his confidence a bit. Who knows. All I can say is that ever since seeing Halak play a dozen or so games in his first year (well I didn’t see all of those, but I saw a few and followed the highlights) he looked pretty impressive, and I’ve been a fan ever since. He seems pretty cool under pressure too.

As far as Khabibulin, I think everyone would say it was a ridiculous idea to sign him for that price for that length. If they moved Deslauriers though, his competition really is Dubnyk for the other spot in the lineup. Khabi is pretty much guaranteed, so long as he’s healthy. And well, I would be confident in giving Halak a lot of games right now. I’d sooner have him as a starter than any one of our goalies on the roster.

19. MetalOil says:

Racki:

During the off season I was wanting us to sign Craig Anderson. That would have been nice EH? on the other hand he probably would not have done as well in our lineup.

As for yesterdays game I found it very boring. Of course being all hopped up on morphine sitting in my hospital room did not exactly help keep my attention on the TV screen. The hot ass nurses at the sturgeon hospital did manage to keep my attention though :) Was trying to think of ways to justify a sponge bath for a surgically repaired wrist :)

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

I haven’t been able to watch much of the Olympic tourney so far. I could just be a completely arrogant Canadian(is there such a thing?) but I still see Canada as the team to beat. In such a short tournament like the Olympics anything can happen though so who knows. What I’d really like to see is a Canada vs Russia super series again. I think for Canada to truly be impressive it takes a series. On the downside, I haven’t seen a punishing Team Canada from what I watched.

21. neufab says:

Halak will be the starter for his next team. If the Oilers did the right thing he could challenge Khabi for the #1 spot. I like the idea of having 2 solid net minders because I think Khabibulin is at his best with a 45-50 game work load. Our back-up needs to be good enough to fill the gap and take over when a) Khabi gets hurt, and b) when Khabi retires.

The Canada/ Swiss game was not impressive even though Hiller stood on his head. The Canadians were too concerned with making plays and trying to be cute instead of taking authority over the game and taking it to them.