By , February 14, 2010 10:41 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Anaheim Ducks

Well first off, Happy Valentine’s Day to all you non-single folks. Today is an earlier game, with a 5:00PM start. It’ll be on PPV and I may end up missing this one. The Oilers are fresh off a pretty exciting shootout win vs. the Kings, after a pretty bleak road trip. The Ducks are coming off of a 3-1 loss to Calgary yesterday, but have won 5 of their last 7 games, however. These two teams met on the Oilers recent road trip, with the Ducks winning it by a score of 3-2. I only caught part of the 3rd period for this game last time around, so I’m not too sure how close the score really was. However, tonight I’ll pick a win.

Prediction: 4-3 Oilers

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Nilsson
O’Sullivan-Horcoff-Comrie
Pisani-Pouliot-Brule
Moreau-Cogliano-Stortini

Visnovsky-Smid
Grebehskov-Staios
Strudwick-Gilbert

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Anaheim Ducks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Beleskey-Koivu-Perry

19.2 PP% 18.5
80.6 PK% 76.6
29.1 S/G 28.6
33.2 SA/G 32.1
48.4 FO% 47.1

GAME NOTES

- Today’s lines… I picked the same Oilers lines as last game. I also picked the same Ducks lines as the Wednesday’s game. Obviously these are subject to change.
- Jacques looks to be having back issues again and missed yesterday’s practice.

POST-GAME RANT

Penalties are bad, mmm’kay?

63 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Anaheim Ducks 7 – Feb 14, 2010 @ 5:00 PM – PPV – Game 61”

Well on the official Oilers site there is a poll regarding which player has the greatest heart.

Here’s a video of the player I picked..

I won’t be able to watch tonight’s game, even if it wasn’t ppv I still wouldn’t be able to watch it. :P

Ya, Moose gets my vote too.

Same. Moose by a country mile. Best elbows too.

Yeah, I’ve always debated getting his jersey. It’s too bad POTF didn’t have 10 more regulars maybe we could throw an outdoor game next year if this place gets bigger. Haha, I think that would be pretty sweet idea if we could all shoot some puck one saturday/sunday afternoon or something.

I’m in if we want to play a game or two.

Awesome, now we just need 8-10 more guys other than us (Steve-O and Trogdor included) and we’ll have a wicked game going. I’d come up from Red Deer just to play.

8. Oilersman says:

I would be willing to drive from Brooks AB… I’m a tender too :D

haha

on tencers twitter “Visnovsky: “Ladi is just jealous I’m going and he’s not.” Smid: “Whatever. You’re Slovakian. I would make Team Slovakia.”"

10. hockey noob says:

Hey everyone,

Hey, Team Slovakia could surprise a few big teams. They’ve got both Marion’s (Hossa and Gaborik–if he’s not injured), along a few other good players.

I still think Russia and Canada are the top teams. Dark horse would be the Swedes – I never count the Swedes out. Farther down would be the Americans.

I mean, there is a reason these guys play the games, obviously. But the Russians have a crazy good team on paper. The Canadians are never slouches either, and also have a pretty impressive team, probably moreso due to depth. I think the Americans blew it a bit not having more experience in the lineup. But we’ll see. Actually on the note of the Russians, I think they have a scary as hell top line (followed by a nice looking #2 line), a decent top 4 of D, as well as a great set of goaltenders but the depth might be a bit of a concern. By that, I mean when facing the Canadians who are pretty much scary across the board.

Should be an interesting Olympics ;)

Racki: Hell yah, that would be a lot of fun. Good idea. Maybe next year we could do that. Steve-O and Trogdor also both play. Trogdor is going under the knife for knee surgery on Tuesday though, so he won’t be good to go until next “season”. But that’d be great to get a bunch of us playing a game.

haha, that would be awesome, if enough advance notice is given, I would try and plan one of my visits to Canada for that time and try to make it!!

Steve-O: hahaon tencers twitter “Visnovsky: “Ladi is just jealous I’m going and he’s not.” Smid: “Whatever. You’re Slovakian. I would make Team Slovakia.””

haha, yeah that gave me a good chuckle when I saw that too.

As far as Canada’s chances go, I think I agree with the general consensus that Canada/Russia are the favorites, but I have an uneasy feeling about our goaltending and on the flip side of that if Bryzgalov/Nabokov gets hot that could be the x factor that pushes the Russians to Gold, Miller and Lundquist could also be huge x factors too, when it gets to single elimination a hot goalie can be the difference maker.

Yah goaltending could make a huge difference for a few teams… very much agree with that!

14. hockey noob says:

The US has some great top-end talent in net with Ryan Miller. After that, there’s a big drop-off in NHL stats since they didn’t take Mr. Anderson.

However, the USA has big problems at defense. The average +/- of their defensemen is +1 or so. They also have pretty low scoring guys on the blue too.

Anyone watching the game? 1-1 currently.

Oi.. 2-1 Anaheim on a poor looking goal. The Oilers first cough up the puck in the neutral zone and Perry’s shot squeaks through Deslauriers who otherwise played it well.

hockey noob: The US has some great top-end talent in net with Ryan Miller.After that, there’s a big drop-off in NHL stats since they didn’t take Mr. Anderson.From what I’ve looked at, their forward roster is not too bad, but certainly not at the level of Russia or Canada on paper.However, the USA has big problems at defense.The average +/- of their defensemen is +1 or so.They also have pretty low scoring guys on the blue too.

Yah I don’t like to count any team out, but I think the Americans could have put a better team together.

I completely forgot this was an early start. From am Olympic POV, how does Getzlaf look?

LNOF: Haven’t paid close attention to him, but I’ll try to. He does have an assist on the 2nd goal, and looks to be playing regular shifts.

Pretty impressive he’s fine and playing already. Reminiscent of Stortini’s injury. You guys remember when his leg folded under him when he was fighting someone in SJ (Shelley?). It looked ugly as hell and was right around the same time of the year, just before the all-star break. He came back right after the break.. not sure if he missed any games or not. But both guys are pretty resistant to injury. If that was Moreau, that leg would be broken in 18 places. lol

He looked good there, nice save by JDD

Nice play by Getzlaf bumping Strudwick down and stealing the puck.

Did I hear Gene right earlier that Komisarek and Martin are out for the Americans (I presume they are injured)? If so, anyone hear the replacements? I’ll try and locate that info.. want to update my rosters.

edit: I see it’s Gleason and Whitney that are the replacements.

Pretty nice goal for the Oil there. Good hard work by Brule, Horc and Potulny

Great interview between Gene and Steve Tambellini.. I hope someone else is watching. Addressing the Katz/Stauffer interview.

Here are some tidbits (some parts aren’t exact words, but close):
    “I know they’re not looking for a quick fix weekend where we fix the Oilers. The end result is going to be terrific. I know what the result will look like, but that will take some time.”

“Am I trying to move people? Absolutely. I can’t tell you who I’m moving.. it’s a negotiation, you understand that. We have people that are interested in our older players. We have people that are interested in our younger players. But I can’t give you names until we’re finished the negotiations.”

“We’re not looking for a quick fix, we’re redoing our draft ability, development, etc, etc. (sorry that is really summed up.. but he said basically that they’re redoing the whole damn thing, which is good obviously.”

Basically then spoke about how he wants this city to be proud of this team again.

The big important notes are that Tambellini, Lowe and Katz are all incredibly focused on drafting and development to fix this team. This is a bit contradictory to what we’ve seen in the past with ludicrous attempted UFA signings or trades. And this is definitely the right path now.

Put your money where your mouth is Steve!

Storts would make a good caveman – he should be in those commercials…

Wow so many chances shorthanded! Needed one of them to go in there!

Racki: LOL.. yah the only I ask of him though is to do anything it takes to be rid of certain obviously bad influences. The first one that comes to mind is Ethan Moreau. I think he’s damaging the team now. The second one is way harder to do, and isn’t because of lack of effort, but that would be Shawn Horcoff. I’d also suggest then cleaning up some of the smaller players. Pick the ones you want to go with. I’d say move O’Sullivan and maybe Nilsson.

I would say the priority this trade deadline is to push the vet value to playoff teams and hope some teams bite. You have Staois, Horcoff, Moreau and Pisani who have been all the way to game 7 of the SCF, promote that, even if all you get is a pick in return – the disposal of the contract is more important. I think all can be moved except Horcoff due to his contract. Staois/Moreau only have 1 more year and Pisani is UFA so that should be manageable.

Racki: Props to Wisniewski for taking a beating to block some shots… and then going down again after being hurt.. and again…

Agree. Same mold as Staois.
    Poor Gene with the sympathy pain! He has a new hero!

Moreau! He really, really wants to be traded! Does it to the Ducks again!

how so?

LateNightOilFan: Storts would make a good caveman – he should be in those commercials…

lol, I’ve said the same thing in some other threads.

Wisniewski is having a great season, probably the Ducks best all around D-man this year.

and yeah, apparently Moreau really wants to move to Anaheim. lol

Steve-O:
    how so?

Well, they’re already damaged goods, but aside from recently now that he’s being showcased, he’s good for a bad penalty right when we need a momentum shift the other way. He also has been in offensive hell for quite a while now. Again, aside from recently, he’s been a below average PKer this year. He’s taking minutes that could be better used.

I’m not talking about leadership wise, if that’s what you were thinking, cause I don’t buy into that stuff.. none of us know what goes on in the locker room. I’m just talking about on the ice. He’s been pretty horrible this year.

hah, I was doing some laundry so I missed Moreau’s goal. Was it a shorty? (edit: I see it was)

LOL, Penner just manhandled Neidermayer. But he’s going to the box for it.

5-2… getting out of hand now.

I recommend Getzlaf not take his skate off the entire Olympics, just so it doesn’t swell up.

Goal #5, by Parros of all people.

God damn it… as much as I like Visnovsky scoring, I think I’m screwed in the pool. lol (5-5 between Gr8one and me)

5-3!! Visser!

There’s a certain NYI player who should look at that to see how it’s done.

Racki: Damn it, this game is going to kill my pool chances against you, gr8one. lol If you haven’t been watching, I came back from 8 2 or something and it’s 6-5 tonight. This recent goal probably made it 5-5.

,,|,,

gr8one:
    I know…I was actually just looking and came here to tell you to that you’re a bastard, I think this is the 2nd consecutive “game” against you that I lead all week and you came back late to take the lead.,,|,,

lol, well it’s all tied up, and I have no one playing from this point on. So it’s yours to win. Currently 5-5.

although, you’re right, it is 5-5 now,

another goal and assist would be awesome!!!

Let’s go Penner, Visnovsky and Perry!!!

nice save/clear by Deslauriers on Bodie!

Please end 5-3! (or at least no more points for Penner/Vis :P)

lol nope, one more goal by Penner with Visseer assisting, and then Perry gets an assist on an empty netter. I win the fantasy week handily, and we get one game closer to a #1 pick!

Nice high jump by JDD there.

Staois with his 3rd penalty – not the way to increase his trade value.

Comrie drops them with Wisniewski… that wouldn’t have been pretty. Good of Moreau to jump in there though and throw interference.