By , February 11, 2010 10:59 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Los Angeles Kings

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Los Angeles Kings

Well I missed last night’s game, but it looked like the Moreau show… were there any Moreau to the Kings rumors? We’ll have to see who showcases themselves tonight.

So the Oilers are continuing their fall for hall on this road trip so far, with a perfect 0-4. The Kings lost their last game (4-2 to Anaheim on Monday), but you’re allowed to lose 1 or 2 when you’ve won the previous 9. Hold on to your butts, it’s going to get rough. Another loss tonight, I would think.

Prediction: 6-1 Kings

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Nilsson
O’Sullivan-Horcoff-Comrie
Pisani-Pouliot-Brule
Moreau-Cogliano-Stortini

Visnovsky-Smid
Grebehskov-Staios
Strudwick-Gilbert

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Los Angeles Kings Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Richardson Kopitar Brown
Smyth Stoll Simmonds
Frolov Handzus Parse
Ivanans Moller Purcell

Scuderi Doughty
Johnson Drewiske
O’Donnell Greene

Ersberg
Quick

GAME NOTES

– Last night on the post-game show, Dan Tencer and Rob Brown seemed to be speculating that the Oilers were MacIntyring (Mac-retyring?) Zack Stortini. In other words, they suggested that perhaps they did not see his use here anymore and he might become obsolete from the lineup. If that’s the case, they’re a bit more clueless than I thought. One thing I learned from watching MacTavish last year (to his credit) was that you only need to sit Stortini for a game or two, and he’ll learn and come back flying and be a factor.
– Will update as info comes.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
No scoring.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 13:38 – Grebeshkov from Staios, Cogliano
Great shift here. Stortini screens Ersberg and taps for the shot. Grebeshkov wrists it on net. Greene tries to knock it free, but he actually tips it in the net.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 7:46 – Penner (PP) from Nilsson, Visnovsky
Penner steps into the faceoff dot to Ersberg’s right and wires it past his blocker.
LAK – 11:05 – Brown from
The Kings press hard on this shift, throwing everything at Desulauriers. The shot from the point is saved. Deslauriers goes down to try and stop Deslauriers, but Brown roofs it.
LAK – 15:12 – Smyth from Brown, O’Donnell
The point shot is saved by Deslauriers. He’s pretty far out of the paint though as the rebound goes to Smyth. He has no problem putting it into the 4×6.
OVERTIME SCORING
No scoring.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd OT Total
EDM EDM 7 6 8 2 23
LAK LAK 7 13 18 5 43

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:21 – Moreau hammers Drewiske in the LA zone behind the goal line on a dump in.
5:54 – On the Oilers powerplay, Dustin Brown gets a partial breakaway. He almost looks like he will blow past Gilbert (last man back), but Gilbert manages to stay with him while seemingly spending half the effort.
4:25 – Stortini makes his return to the lineup known by causing some frustration for Ersberg and knocking Johnson over in front of him, after the whistle.
2:21 – Slick move by Comrie who was in on a 2-on-1. He telegraphed pass and even fake-passed it, then fired it on Ersberg, but Ersberg didn’t buy it (mostly thanks to Johnson playing the pass quite well).

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

18:33 – Anze Kopitar just barely misses a pass on the rush and a chance to tap it in behind Deslauriers.
15:08 – Great play here… Horcoff entered the zone… Gilbert zoomed in a head of him past 2 defenders. Horcoff flipped a gorgeous pass to him that landed right on the tape. Gilbert got a shot off, but Ersberg made the save.
12:15 – Frolov goes behind the net and tries to wrap it around in on goal. Deslauriers is looking the other way, but luckily the puck flies out through the crease.
7:00 – Great shift here by Moreau, Stortini and Cogliano…. they end up scoring on it. As Gene said, it looked like they were on a powerplay there.
3:18 – Nice hit by Staios on Moller. Kind of fell on him, but Staios showed good blue collar work on this PK.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

9:58 – Nice save by Deslauriers on a one-timer from Drewiski at the point.
7:32 – Richardson and Gilbert do some sparring in front of the net.. good for Gilbert for standing his ground.
3:48 – Smid and Simmonds exchange some glove punches. They look ready to go. Perhaps something brewing for later.
1:49 – The net comes off the moorings and Doughty shoots it in, well after. Deslauriers gets pissed off and jumps on Doughty mugging him. No gloves dropped, but still worth mentioning. Time for some 4-on-4 action.

OVERTIME HIGHLIGHTS

3:21 – Staios gets called for a penalty in the OT.
3:10 – Deslauriers makes a good save on a Stoll one-timer on the powerplay.
1:20 – Lucky break for the Oilers here as the Kings couldn’t quite score on the powerplay, but they get some good chances, including a near repeat of the two Kings goals.
0:20 – O’Sullivan gets in alone on Ersberg with a d-man pressing him. He fires it from the middle of the circle, and Ersberg whips out the glove.

SHOOTOUT SUMMARY

LAK – 1 – Kopitar – GOAL
– Deslauriers tries to poke check him, but Kopitar freezes him and dekes and puts it upstairs.
EDM – 1 O’Sullivan – No goal
– O’Sullivan tries to shoot it upstairs but Ersberg gets the arm out and it goes up high.
LAK – 2 – Johnson – No goal
– Deslauriers poke checks again and Johnson can’t geta shot off. The puck almost squeaks through JDD’s pads anyways.
EDM – 2 – Potulny – No goal
– Potulny goes in deking. Ersberg gets low spreading the pads out. Potulny tucks it off the post.
LAK – 3 – Brown – No goal
– Deslauriers poke checks yet again. Brown gets absolutely nothing going here.
EDM – 3 – Horcoff – Goal
– Horcoff comes in and fires it hard past the blocker side, mid-height in the net.
LAK – 4 – Smyth – No goal
– Smyth fakes the shot and brings it backhand and tries to go five-hole. Deslauriers gets the paddle down though and stops it.
EDM – 4 – Nilsson – No goal
– Nilsson tries to deke and go backhand – forehand, but the puck slips off his stick.
LAK – 5 – Stoll – No goal
– Stoll comes in and shoots it low on the glove side. Great leg save here by Deslauriers as he kicks it out.
EDM – 5 – Comrie – No goal
– Comrie tries to deke and bring it back forehand for the shot, but Ersberg makes the save.
LAK – 6 – Doughty – No goal
– Doughty tries to deke, but again Deslauriers stick is in the way and pokes it free before a shot can be made.
EDM – 6 – Pouliot – No goal
– Pouliot dekes, goes forehand backhand and rings it off the post.
LAK – 7 – Simmonds – Goal
– Simmonds comes in and shoots the forehand past JDD
EDM – 7 – Penner – Goal
– Penner comes in and dekes and slides it under and through Ersberg’s five hole.
LAK – 8 – Richardson – No goal
– Deslauriers again pokes it away and then kicks the pad out on the extra attempt by Richardson.
EDM – 8 – Pisani – No goal
– Ersberg poke checks it off Pisani’s stick who was trying to deke.
LAK – 9 – Handzus – Goal
– Deslauriers goes down and tries to poke check, but Handzus pulls it to the side and shoots it in the cage.
EDM – 9 – Brule – Goal
– Brule stickhandles quickly all the way up to Ersberg. Ersberg goes down in the butterfly and Brule beats him on the forehand on the glove side.
LAK – 10 – Frolov – No goal
– He comes in shooting and fires it pretty wide.
EDM – 10 – Visnovsky – Goal
– He comes in looking to deke. Ersberg goes down and Visnovsky goes backhand to forehand and fires it mid-height into the blocker side of the net.

85 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Los Angeles Kings 2 (SO) – Feb 11, 2010 @ 8:30 PM – SNET – Game 60”

1. Horpensky says:

I would only watch this game to watch Doughty play. This kid is smooth

Yup. Doughty is amazing for sure. I was lucky enough to pick him up early in the year. He looks like the next Ray Bourque type guy but with better wheels.

3. Haboiler says:

Katz on 630 CHED….

4. Oilersman says:

Oilersman: Tambi has the green light to do whatever it takes to rebuild this club… well let’s get ready for a busy deadline folks!

Sarcasm? I was impressed with the Erik Cole trade and the Mac T firing presser other than that the cartoon that chucker posted is sadly fitting. Like you said though Oilersman, Tambo has the green light to do what ever he wants to rebuild this club as per Katz and failure to put this club in the playoffs next year I could expect Tambo to resign/get fired and a big mix up in the management.

6. Oilersman says:

Hmmm.. I hope that means he’s open to waivers, buyouts, murdering players, etc…

edit: just listening to the interview now, and i hear that yes Tambi has the green light to do ANY of that (minus the murder, perhaps)

Oilersman: Yes Sarcasm haha, but honestly not sure if the team will make the playoffs next year either… yeah we got guys like Eberle, MPS, Omark, Nash trying to make the jump next season, and yeah they are putting up good numbers in their respective junior careers, but this team is far from making the playoffs next year… you know Tambs, throw all the money we can at a “star” UFA, then fail to acquire anything decent in the off-season and scramble to pick up any UFA’s of decent value *cough* Hossa

Oilersman you just took a huge leap in regards to respect in my eyes from that one comment. Not sure if I’ve seen much of you here but welcome to Putting on The Foil. I’m happy to hear/read that your not one of many fans who think that Eberle, MPS, Omark and Nash can save this team in one or two seasons. And even though it’s been stated countless times (UFA offerings) you still make a valid point. Personally I don’t know about you but I’ve mentioned quite a few times now that I hope that we don’t see most those guys near this team next year. Maybe Eberle (due to his awesome camp this preseason and apparent size) or even a top/top two pick but even then that won’t save the team.

I believe with some handy work and a lot of action over this summer we can acquire a few key components that we need. I highly doubt we’ll acquire an elite player, I don’t think we’ll be in the position too anyways, hopefully we can draft a potential elite and in doing so not chase after a 7 year 10.00 mil + contract this summer and deepen our cap woes. A lot of people have also forgot about number 83, it seems as though Hemsky has fallen off the face of the earth. He may not be a saviour but with this current record it kind of discards coincidence in his absence on the roster. I think with a few moves we can become a playoff team pretty quickly. That and the fact we’ll have a starting goaltender and if not a solid back-up which JDD is starting to develop into.

Racki: I actually really like this interview with Katz. Makes me feel a bit better about him as an owner.

Yeah me too Racki, not too sure about too many other owners but it seems like a lot of them aren’t as hockey savvy our familiar may be a better word, with the game as Katz is. He’s not given up and he’s given Tambo a chance still, he says the generic ad apologizes but that’s a given.

I also like his talks about the downtown arena, some interesting things he was talking about there…

Good discussion all around. I too was nudged in the direction of “this is a good sign” by today’s interview. I think we may see some trades at the deadline for “future considerations” and also the willingness on ownership’s part to be patient.

I took the develpment part of the conversation to be in lock step with the recent announcement of the Oklahoma team being in place for next season. It’s clear they were focussing on the longterm view by getting this crucial element in play. I would personally like to see all our lads over in Okie playing under Daum for at least one year before coming up.

I think next year should be a year of dumping what’s left over of bad players/contracts with some serviceable UFA’s signed to one year deals to make a competative team in the meantime and by competative, I mean hard working. Another high draft pick would not hurt my feelings.

I’d like to see these guys, ideally, all on the farm next year or back in junior depending on the level of development. All the young guys who are our future should be trained there into a system that is followed up on the big club and when they come up, I’m thinking 2012 for wholesale callups as they will all likely be ready at that point. They will be used to playing with each other, become bonded as a team and have chemistry inside the system. I also see this as a Renney in partnership with Daum project on the style of system we want as Quinn is likely gone after next year to me. Either upstairs or into retirement.

We’ve seen how rushing a guy like Gagner, Brule, Nilsson, Gilbert etc. has hampered their longterm development. I don’t want to see that with Eberle, MPS, Lander, Rajala, Petry, Plante, this year’s draft picks, Roy etc. It’s clear this team won’t be very good for a minimum of two years, so do it right with the kids.

What I was scared the most of was that I was going to hear Katz say something like “we’re trying our best” and “it’s not so bad” and those kinds of answers. He recognizes this team sucks. And he has empowered Tambellini to fix things. That’s all I really need to hear from an owner. Anything outside of that might be fluff or whatever, but I just needed to hear those particular words that let me know the fact the team is losing isn’t lost on him.

And Chucker, I agree with you on a lot of what you said… good stuff. I haven’t given up on Quinn at all though. It was a pretty crummy hand he’s been dealt, and he’s been trying to polish a turd all season. I think we’re seeing a lot of the same things we saw under MacTavish though… guys just up and quitting. There’s a few bad seeds on this team that need to go as while their intent may be good, I think their effect is actually the likes of a cancer.

This year’s deadline and next year should definitely be used to unload all those players that just don’t give a damn some nights… Moreau, Horcoff, O’Sullivan, and a few others. Penner may even fall in that category, but I really do like him. I only say his name because he doesn’t seem to have the heart or the shape to go the whole season. But I have no problems with him sticking it out here either.

I wasn’t hinting that I am displeased with Quinn. As you said, he’s been polishing a turd all year. I think the same thing will likely be true next year but to a lesser extent. I just always envisioned his 3 year deal having him move upstairs after his second year or so. I think he’s a good guy to have in the organization.

I also see Renny as the better fit to work with Daum on development systems and I believe he’s the X’s and O’s guy here. I said that because it would seem, to me, to play into his strengths as well as Daum’s. Quinn is a good evaluator and likey better suited as an assistant GM or upper management type who evaluated who needs to stay and go and who can come in to help.

Racki: Chucker: Ahh, misunderstood you. But that does make sense now what you’re saying. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in management either. He might be a guy that will garner some respect from other GMs.

I think so. He’s pretty well respected by pretty much everyone. Having him around is nothing but good for the organization and it also garners the attention of the Eastern media as they love him too. That could be a good thing.

Gene Principe play-by-play = booooo … or zzzzz

16. MetalOil says:

Wouldn’t kill me if the Kings won this one as I’m on there bandwagon and think they could use the points more then the Oil do but go Oil anyways!

Storts back in

18. MetalOil says:

Racki: Storts back in

Good! He really did not deserve to be in the press box. He is probably one of our most consistent players when it comes to working hard. Might have just been a victim to showcasing players for trades though.

Gene’s commentary sums up the Oilers season.. unenergetic for the most part, but contains surprise rises in excitement on rare occasions.

MetalOil:

I hope that’s the case.. I totally agree, his work ethic is unsurpassed right now. He’s the kind of guy though that does need to be benched every now and then for a game or two though to re-establish his presence. But I bet he has a good game tonight if they play him enough.

21. Oilersman says:

zackman35, thanks for welcoming me to the board, I am new yes, fresh from the Oilers boards (which I should of jumped ship when Racki made this site in the first place… stupid stupid fans you argue with on those boards I tell you man…) anyways, to put it short I agree with you Eberle will most likely make the jump, and perhaps a guy like Arsene/Chorney seeing Staios/Struds will be gone by seasons end/summer… I may have been a little bold on my statement regarding Tambellini, but for anyone who has been following he has done exactly that… I mean yeah the 8-10 million dollar guys will play where they want, if they say no the first time no money will change there mind, why continue to plunder chasing “elite” players when the media just laughs at us, mocking us… I mean constant sun and great weather or Edmonton… and we’ve seen a prime example of this recently as well which I mentioned above… until I honestly see Tambs make a move that Lowe would not, I have little faith and respect for him… sure it’s hard to move guys but between the organization this is year 4 no playoffs, somethings got to give?

@Racki… agreed this interview also makes me feel a lot better regarding our ownership, being a successful owner is one thing, having pride for your team and their colors running through your blood is what’s going to build this team into a dynasty…ps when ever did we hear the shareholders love for the team when they ran it?

22. Oilersman says:

Also decent first period by the boys, and yes it is great to see Storts back in!

Well the Canes won tonight… that puts them 11 ahead of the Oilers, currently.

Evening everyone, why is Gene doing the play by play?

Oilersman: Yah I agree with what you’re saying about Tambellini. Katz has given him the green light to do ANYTHING too, so that right there tells me that there is no excuse for keeping a player like Moreau around this year. And I also agree that chasing rainbows, going after superstars is silly. I actually was pretty adamant back when we were going after Hossa and Jagr, even. I always said, clean up the little areas first (back then it was Glencross). I’d rather that this year they would have signed a checking center, a shutdown defenseman, and a goaltender that wasn’t in danger of evaporating before his contract is done.

LNOF: I think Gene’s doing it in mockery of how dull our season has been… :P

Racki: LNOF: I think Gene’s doing it in mockery of how dull our season has been…

Yeah, I just started tuning in, has he been making the corny jokes throughout his commentary? Ha!

Anyway, sounds like I missed a big day in Oil Country – green light time! Will they live up to the anticipation? Or will it be another instance of talking tough but not following through? Hmmm…

Mr. Willie O’Ree – amazing man there.

Yep, agree on Willie… good to hear from him!!

And no, Gene has been dull as hell, just like the Oilers this season ;)

Gene has made a few good jokes, but his tone is generally one that will put you to sleep. Big difference between him and Quinn. But I give him credit… it’s not his regular job, and play-by-play is a pretty tough job!

That’s the ol’ Horcoff there (nice pass to Gilbert)

Oilersman: zackman35, thanks for welcoming me to the board, I am new yes, fresh from the Oilers boards (which I should of jumped ship when Racki made this site in the first place… stupid stupid fans you argue with on those boards I tell you man…)

welcome from me too…

but shhhh about us here, we don’t want all those idiots finding there way here too!

heh

I’m pretty slow to reply here (cause I’m typing up game notes), but nice work by Stortini, Cogliano and Moreau. As gene said, it looked like a powerplay out there.

Grebs! He’s in my pool yay!

And welcome from me too Oilersman, the good ‘ole OMB just isn’t the great place it used to be. It’s much saner here!

Yah, always happy to have some people from the OMB come over, although definitely just the good posters (which you appear to be, Oilersman). There’s some people over there I definitely have no interest in seeing here though (unless they clean up their act, of course).

Jeez Robert, shoot the puck there…

37. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki this is a way more civilised discussion group. Welcome Oilersman!

Gene is waking up! Nice ‘Hail Mary’ save JDD

edit – that save was scary in that the puck was under his right toe as he slid across and he didn’t realize it

39. neufab says:

Gilbert has had some jump tonight.

Another goal post. I am quite pleased with Potulny.

40. neufab says:

I think Quinn should be in the Stride commercials :)

41. neufab says:

What a shot Penner.

Nice goal by Penner!

Very nice Penner! 2-0

Oh crap, that’s not good.

Crap, now it gets interesting. Thanks Gene for mentioning shutout…

46. neufab says:

Playing in the other end for 8 minutes or so would be good.

47. neufab says:

Sigh… at least it was Smyth,

Oh dammit