GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Anaheim Ducks 3 – Feb 10, 2010 @ 8:00 PM – TSN – Game 59

By , February 9, 2010 11:47 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Anaheim Ducks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Anaheim Ducks

PRE-GAME RANT

So a couple of teams to another step forward in the standings, with the Canes and Islanders both winning. Edmonton currently sits 7 points behind Toronto, 9 behind Carolina and 14 behind the Islanders. The Oilers are 3 for 3 on the road so far… I mean, 3 losses in 3 games, including a 6-1 pounding at the hands of the Coyotes on Monday, seemingly returning to their January mentality. In fairness, they did face a pretty hot goaltender in Bryzgalov on Monday. The Ducks have had a bit better luck lately, having won 4 of their last 5. The odds just keep worse and worse by the game for the Oilers.

Let’s go with another loss tonight… maybe let’s just assume a loss until (at the very least) we finally trade one or more of our supposed checking line. 5-3 Ducks.

I’m pretty certain Dubnyk will get one of the next two starts… I’ll go so far as to guess he starts tonight.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Nilsson
O’Sullivan-Horcoff-Comrie
Pisani-Pouliot-Brule
Moreau-Cogliano-Jacques

Visnovsky-Smid
Grebehskov-Gilbert
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Anaheim Ducks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Beleskey-Koivu-Perry
Ryan-Blake-Selanne
Marchant-Chipchura-Bodie
Brown-Carter-Parros

Neidermayer-Wisniewski
Eminger-Whitney
Festerling-Brookbank

Hiller
Toskala

TEAM COMPARISON

To be updated later.

GAME NOTES

SCORING BY PERIOD
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 0 2 0 2
ANA ANA 1 1 1 3
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 17 14 8 39
ANA ANA 10 15 5 30
  • Oil are o for on the powerplay tonight (includes long 5-on-3) but have notched 2 shorties so far tonight.
  • JFJ and Parros had a decent tilt in the 1st.

47 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Anaheim Ducks 3 – Feb 10, 2010 @ 8:00 PM – TSN – Game 59”

  1. Puritania says:

    Well, guess I’m gonna strap myself into a chair and let the Oil waterboard me yet again, er I mean watch the game.

    Brain 4-0 Ducks
    Heart 157-0 Oil
    Liver 7-1 Crown Royal

  2. mrgod2u says:

    Hmmm, I am going to swim against the stream and predict an Oil win tonight. Not a pretty one, but say 3-2.

    Penner will have a good game.

  3. Steve-O says:

    If Dubnyk plays he gets his first win tonight as I’m with mr. god on this one.

    Except Penner will not have a good game.

  4. chucker says:

    Anaheim is a tough call to me even with our play of late. I’d say this is likely their best chance at a win, but given the play of the last two games, I cannot call a win.

    If the glacier line is on again and in form, then we will get another two points closer to Hall/Seguin/Fowler.

  5. zackman35 says:

    Well if my prediction is correct we’ll win two and lose two against the Ducks. I still think 65 is the magic number. Second last place team hits that number in points and I think we’ll have first pick sealed.

  6. NorwegianOiler says:

    There’s the lottery zackman…;)

  7. zackman35 says:

    NorwegianOiler: There’s the lottery zackman…;)

    Haha, sorry let me re-word that. If the second last place team has 65pts we’ll have last placed sealed and 48.2% chance of top pick and the 51.8% possibility of dropping to second pick overall (I think that’s how it works).

  8. Trogdor says:

    Another televised game, another night out. I’m sure I’ll get to watch the game, but my comments will be directed at the TV and not here…

    Until we string 5 in a row together, I have trouble believing we’ll win any night. Although the last time we strung 5 in a row together, very bad things happened.

  9. gr8one says:

    zackman35:
    Haha, sorry let me re-word that. If the second last place team has 65pts we’ll have last placed sealed and 48.2% chance of top pick and the 51.8% possibility of dropping to second pick overall (I think that’s how it works).

    close, flip those numbers though…the way you have it worded says that second last has a higher probability of winning than last place.

    I actually had no idea that 2nd last was that close, it’s barely better than 50-50, I always thought it was more like 60-40.

  10. Steve-O says:

    gr8one:
    close, flip those numbers though…the way you have it worded says that second last has a higher probability of winning than last place.I actually had no idea that 2nd last was that close, it’s barely better than 50-50, I always thought it was more like 60-40.

    no, second is only around 25%, but all of the other chances for other teams equal just over 50…he just means at worst we can end second

  11. Racki says:

    He is right, it’s 48.2% chance for the team in 1st to get the top pick. And then of course if you’re in top, like Steve-O says, the only other spot you can get is 2nd, so therefore you’re a 51.8% chance to land #2. It sounds odd, but its because (as you all know) the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th last place teams can knock you out of the top spot if one of them wins the lottery. If you add up all their %age chances of winning the lottery, you’d get 51.8%.

  12. Racki says:

    Btw, looks like I’ll miss most or all of this game tonight.

  13. Racki says:

    OH man, watching the Habs / Caps game… Mike Green just blasted a slapper that hit Josh Georges… it looked like he took it in the side of the head. Visor partially popped off too.. maybe took it in the ear…. actually, back of the head possibly. Didn’t look good at all. Laid on the ice for a while and got off with some help. Yikes.

  14. chucker says:

    So really, to make it a more certain chance of getting the no. 1 overall pick, we absolutely need to get one of Carolina’s or Toronto’s first overall pick. Boston isn’t trading the Leaf pick from what I’ve seen after the Kovalchuk trade fallout.

    I’m thinking there is no way Carolina trades their pick either, not without a Hemsky + other going the other way.

  15. gr8one says:

    Racki: He is right, it’s 48.2% chance for the team in 1st to get the top pick. And then of course if you’re in top, like Steve-O says, the only other spot you can get is 2nd, so therefore you’re a 51.8% chance to land #2. It sounds odd, but its because (as you all know) the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th last place teams can knock you out of the top spot if one of them wins the lottery. If you add up all their %age chances of winning the lottery, you’d get 51.8%.

    ahhh, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

  16. Steve-O says:

    if you don’t want to watch the end of the mtl/wsh game then tsn 2 has the oiler game on now until the other game ends

  17. zackman35 says:

    Ah yeah, sorry for the draft lottery confusion guys. Basically if we end up last place the worst we could do is get second pick overall, either way I wouldn’t really care as long as we end up with Seguin. Not saying we’ll land bottom but if we do, personally I’d like to see Seguin in the Oilers organization rather than Hall or Fowler.

  18. LateNightOilFan says:

    Nice tilt JFJ! Parros drew some blood but JFJ did well there.

  19. LateNightOilFan says:

    Well 1 pt for my pool…

  20. Steve-O says:

    not a terrible period, good fight, only a couple moments of being lost out there

  21. LateNightOilFan says:

    Potsy pots one!

  22. gr8one says:

    holy shit, Moreau makes a play that’s not boneheaded!!!!!!

    Stop the Presses!

  23. LateNightOilFan says:

    Nice save sequence by JDD there

  24. gr8one says:

    JDD is playing well.

  25. gr8one says:

    I’m really gaining a newfound appreciation for Pouliot too.

    Pouliot, Potulny and Brule are about the only good things to watch on this team anymore.

  26. Steve-O says:

    jeez, time to start taking a few more penalties

  27. Trogdor says:

    Trade Moreau tomorrow!

  28. gr8one says:

    wooo, put on a show Moreau, get that trade value upped!

  29. LateNightOilFan says:

    Woo! Moreau showcasing himself to the Ducks!

    Crap, another point for my pool as Ryan ties it.

  30. Steve-O says:

    yeah, i’ve been banging that poo drum for a bit now

    and weak goal by jdd, shades of conkannen

  31. gr8one says:

    gr8one: JDD is playing well.

    *was.

  32. Trogdor says:

    Where’s Racki hiding? No period summaries up until 2nd intermission and even now, my half assed effort doesn’t say much.

  33. LateNightOilFan says:

    You know, I just realized when they showed the replay of the Moreau goal how long it’s been since I’ve seen him that happy.

  34. gr8one says:

    Racki: Btw, looks like I’ll miss most or all of this game tonight.

    Trogdor,

    dunno, but that reeks of female involvement.

  35. gr8one says:

    LateNightOilFan: You know, I just realized when they showed the replay of the Moreau goal how long it’s been since I’ve seen him that happy.

    yea, we rag on him alot, but we know he’s a prideful guy and none if this has got to be easy on him.

  36. Trogdor says:

    I’m about to disappear again myself… Hope the game continues to entertain as it hasn’t been too bad so far.

  37. LateNightOilFan says:

    My God Pat’s face keeps getting redder and redder as the season wears on…

    No chance for JDD on that goal
    I missed why we got the bench minor, are the ref’s sensitive tonight?

  38. LateNightOilFan says:

    gr8one: Trogdor, dunno, but that reeks of female involvement.

    Damn women…

  39. gr8one says:

    LNOF,

    I didn’t catch what the bench minor was either, but Tencer tweeted it was unsportsmanlike conduct.

    and, aren’t you a woman? didn’t I see you refer to “your husband” at times?

  40. LateNightOilFan says:

    gr8one: LNOF, I didn’t catch what the bench minor was either, but Tencer tweeted it was unsportsmanlike conduct.and, aren’t you a woman? didn’t I see you refer to “your husband” at times?

    I am a woman…that’s why I was joking with ya there!

  41. gr8one says:

    LateNightOilFan:
    I am a woman…that’s why I was joking with ya there!

    hehe…I thought so, just wasn’t 100% sure. :p

    you’re also a fellow East coaster burning the midnight Oil with me, correct?

    hence your nickname?

  42. LateNightOilFan says:

    gr8one: hehe…I thought so, just wasn’t 100% sure. :pyou’re also a fellow East coaster burning the midnight Oil with me, correct?hence your nickname?

    Yep, I’m just outside of Cole Harbour in NS

    Tough loss, I thought they played well.

  43. gr8one says:

    yeah, I agree they played well, a lot of sloppy play by both sides, but overall I think the Oilers carried the play and outchanced the ducks.

    oh well, another game closer to last place.

    gn all.

  44. LateNightOilFan says:

    Good night!

  45. Racki says:

    So I caught the 3rd only, but they showed replays of Moreau in action. Was it me, or did it look like he was playing hard tonight…. hmmm… Moreau to Anaheim rumors were running rampant for a while, and Moreau plays good vs. Anaheim.. interesting. Showcasing himself? :P

  46. Horpensky says:

    The Ducks played SO bad, and they still managed to win. They had the worst turnovers ever, yet we couldn’t score on the odd man rushes. We’re THAT bad.

  47. Racki says:

    Had to laugh at the Pisani/O’Sullivan 2-on-1 in the 3rd. Even Cuthbert was wondering what O’Sullivan was doing (and then Ferraro mocked him mercilessly). Was he drafting Pisani?? I hope he was at the end of a 3 minute shift, because that looked pretty pathetic. No drive on that at all.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Panorama Theme by Themocracy

%d bloggers like this: