By , February 4, 2010 9:05 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Minnesota Wild

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Minnesota Wild

Well, they’ve done it again… they’ve pulled off another win with a 1-0 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday. After a month of no wins, it is nice for the “faithful” fans at Rexall to witness what a win is like (the last win previous to these two was December 30th against the Leafs at Rexall Place). So the Oilers are 2-7-1 in their last 10. The Wild, meanwhile, have lost their last 2 (5-2 to San Jose on Saturday and 4-2 to the Stars on Tuesday) and are 4-5-1 in their last 10.

I’d like to see the top line become Penner, Gagner and Brule again tonight, although I’m doubtful that will happen. I also wonder if we’ll see the two Doobies battle it out in net tonight, as both Harding and Backstrom are injured for the Wild. Harding backed up Dubielewicz for the last Wild game, but he’s nursing a hip injury. Since Deslauriers played last night and looked scary at times (despite the shutout), I would think that Dubnyk would get the nod. We shall see.

Since this game is in Minnesota tonight and we generally like to struggle there, from what I recall, I’ll say: 2-1 Minnesota.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Cogliano
Comrie-Potulny-O’Sullivan
Moreau – Horcoff – Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini

Visnovsky – Chorney
Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Plante – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Pitton

Minnesota Wild Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Mietteinen-Koivu-Brunette

19.2 PP% 17.7
74.5 PK% 81.3
28.6 S/G 28.5
31.7 SA/G 28.3
47.2 FO% 53.2

GAME NOTES

– Staios is back skating again.
– Dubnyk has been re-assigned to Springfield and Pitton has been re-called.
– Pisani in, Brule out. Brule is a healthy scratch. I’m wondering if Pisani is being showcased here, as there are now rumors brewing that he’s being shopped.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
No scoring.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
MIN – 1:19 – Havlat from Johnsson
Havlat jumps on a rebound in the slot and easily puts it behind Deslauriers. Looked like missed coverage by Visnovsky there.
EDM – 6:41 – Comrie (PP) from Gagner, Visnovsky
Beauty saucer pass by Gagner here to quickly get it cross-crease to Comrie who one times it in.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
MIN- 3:41 – Mietteinen from Koivu, Brunette
Koivu starts going behind the net but throws it out front to Mietteinen, who is in tight on Deslauriers and flips it up under the bar.
EDM – 8:41 – Pouliot from Stortini, Jacques
Stortini and Pouliot just keep whacking away at it on the side of the net. Pouliot barely jams it home. What a goal line stand! They review it (possibly kicked in), but it stands.
MIN – 12:12 – Latendresse from Brodziak
Latendresse Lat-undresses Strudwick and puts it behind Deslauriers on the backhand.
MIN – 17:24 – Havlat from Latendresse
Havlat to Latendress, back to Havlat, back door. Havlat puts it into the yawning cage.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 10 7 15 32
MIN MIN 15 7 14 36

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:43 – Big save by Deslauriers on Havlat.
10:55 – Latendresse runs over Gilbert in the corner.
9:00 – Wow, great effort by Pouliot here. Possibly the most unskilled-looking way to deke through two guys, but it worked to get him in alone on Harding.
6:42 – Deslauriers loses it and flops around for a bit while every Oiler on the ice collapses on him to cradle the puck in under him.
5:44 – Wow, Deslauriers bombarded by shots here and somehow he keeps it out. He loses sight of the puck again and just snow angels.
1:31 – Bodies flying in the corner. Pouliot nails someone, somewhat from behind. Scott half hits him as more players jump in on the fray. Scott then goes after Stortini, and Jacques jumps in as well. Scott goes off for 2.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

18:05 – Jacques takes a stick in the face that isn’t called.
14:15 – Comrie drilled from behind by Zidlicky here. Another 2 minute penalty for the Wild will put the Oilers on a 5-on-3. The Oil score a nice one after the first penalty expires.
8:40 – Great kill by O’Sullivan. He nearly got two short-handed chances. Once he lost his stick, the other time he was pretty much mugged and battled up the ice with Burns. But that ticked some good time off the clock.
7:32 – Cogliano takes a big hit trying to cross the blue line by Zanon, but Zanon actually seems to take the worst of it, going down. Good job by Cogliano for standing up to the hit!
1:46 – Deslauriers emulates his idol (Hasek) here, dropping the stick and picking the puck up with his blocker hand.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:29 – Deslauriers makes a nice save on a cross-crease one timer by Nolan.
9:38 – Pouliot undresses a defenceman here and makes a beautiful play on Harding. It slides through the crease to Jacques. Jacques slaps it to the net but Harding flies across to make a gorgeous save. Harding is hurt on the play (he has a hip problem that may have been reinjured). He’s done for the night, as he takes one for the team to keep it tied. Khudobin is in, for his first NHL game ever.
7:37 – Gagner is tripped up on a breakaway… no penalty shot, but its called a trip. The Wild end up with a critical kill on this penalty to keep it 3-2.
0:17 – The Wild sail one wide of the empty net.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty decent game played by the Oilers tonight. They got off to a horrible start in the first period, however. But towards the end of the first, the Oil started to battle back (partly due to a powerplay on a John Scott roughing call). Good game by Jacques, Gagner, and for the most part Deslauriers (who made some pretty key saves, but at times looked a little lost). I didn’t really notice Plante tonight, however that is usually a good thing. Admittedly, I didn’t pay close attention tonight like I did last night. Visnovsky seems to be battling lately, and not in a good way. I think more and more each game, Potulny is also looking like a great pickup. I hope the Oilers keep him next year.

Great game also by Latendresse and Havlat (who each had two points, and had 3 goals between them), and Josh Harding. Harding left the game mid-way through the third on a gorgeous save to keep the score tied. He actually injured himself on the play. He’s battling a hip injury and looks like he may have reinjured it. I thought Harding was star-worthy tonight.

Next game, Saturday vs. the Avalanche, in Colorado. It starts at 8:00PM MST and is televised on CBC.

79 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Minnesota Wild 4 – Feb 4, 2010 @ 6:00 PM – SNET – Game 56”

Lets go Oilers! Another win would be nice.

We better get Nintendoraider if we miss out on Seguin/Hall.

3. MetalOil says:

I agree.
    watch us go undefeated in Febuary now LOL.
    It seems that the solid & steady play of Plante has settled the team down defensively & if we do start start winning on a more consistent basis and take ourselves out of the top 3 draft picks it would not be the end of the word for our draft. heck sometimes the hidden gems of the first roumd go much later the the top 3 picks. I think Neat”O”Rider cold be one of these Gems.

4. Trogdor says:

I’d rather see a string of wins than Hall in an Oiler jersey. We do have some good players coming through the ranks. Hall would be a bonus, but we’re okay for a bit. Just need to bring in some different players…

As for tonight, future dad duties will getting in the way of sitting down to watch the game once again. With the early start, I might catch the first at least.

As someone posted last night this could be the start of our 60% way through the season run as where we keep stringing a few wins together on a consistent basis climbing away from the basement and top draft pick.

Or it could be the fact that the Oilers faced Carolina (second worst team in NHL) or a very inconsistent Flyers team that are both in the Eastern Conference as either Trogdor or Steve-O pointed out. Tonight we face the Wild, a team that we`ve tended to struggle against as far as I can remember. Heck I remember the one year they were the team that officially took away are chances of making the playoffs. I`m pretty sure it was them.

I still think we are in the race for a top 3 pick, I can see Toronto taking off a bit now and we are about 10points away from any other team (besides Carolina) this could be a month or two with a whirlwind of different emotions for this organization.

If the entire bottom of the league goes on a winning streak along with us, then that’s still good right? Our team wins, plus we still stay in the Hall/Seguin sweepstakes. Where’s the pinky finger, Dr. Evil emoticon?

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: We better get Nintendoraider if we miss out on Seguin/Hall.

No belief in Fowler then? Khabanov? Others? :P

No Doobie brothers battle tonight.. Dubnyk was sent to Springfield (probably to get a start or two) and Pitton has been recalled. JDD gets the start again.

i don’t want to tank, in fact if they win out the rest of the way and just miss the playoffs i’ll be happy

so long as management knows that this team has problems that need to be fixed

NorwegianOiler:
    No belief in Fowler then? Khabanov? Others? :P

Haven’t seen either. Fowler I didn’t pay any attention to in the WJHC. But for sure there are some good players in the top-10. I just HAVE seen a few games now with Niederreiter and thought he played great. Wish I could watch more Dub games. I’ve been trying to catch as many OHL games as I can lately too to get an eye for some of the other OHL prospects.

11. Trogdor says:

If they win too many management will think the problems have resolved themselves… We can’t have that.

Steve-O:

so long as management knows that this team has problems that need to be fixed

Hoping that the fall for Hall continues now. My brother is a canes fan and the other a flyers fan so I got the big two wins I wanted them to get. Being only 3 points behind the Canes tonight is a perferct one to drop. Can’t believe I’m saying that. Remember though they are playing back to back so they are most likely going to lose…..

Might be making the trip out to Springfield tomorrow night with some friends, but not sure the 1 hour drive is worth it….

Well you should be able to catch Doobie in Springfield, which would be a lot less painful to watch than a regular Falcons game.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m going to miss most of this game as my son plays the same time. Hope to get back in time to see the 3rd. Hope it’s a good game, whatever the result.

NorwegianOiler: I don’t seriously think there’s much hope (or fear) that we’ll drop out of/climb above bottom/top 3 – if that makes sense. According to our separate agendaes (win/lose) we’ll still probably end with the same result, yet I can never find myself hoping they’ll lose at any given night. Que sera, sera though…

That’s actually kind of my mindset, in a way. I watch every game hoping they will win. However though, in the grand scheme of things, I’m just as happy if they lose because that means we’re one step closer to a higher pick. It’ll be pretty hard for them to surpass the 4th last team (CBJ) though, you are right. CBJ has an 11 pt lead on us although we do have 3 games in hand on them. So maybe its not THAT hard.

Also have to worry about the lottery too though. Could boot us out of the top 3. Could put us to #1 too, mind you.

17. Trogdor says:

Unofficial reports stating that Ilya Kovalchuk is heading to New Jersey. That should get them scoring some goals again and more victories for Brodeur in the pool.

yah I just heard on Dan Tencer’s show the same thing.. Kovi to New Jersey. Don’t know players coming back yet.

19. Trogdor says:

Yup, looks to be NJD, So far only player being Mentioned is Oduya.

21. Trogdor says:

Harding healthy enough to play tonight as well from the pre-game.

Trogdor: Hard to say how it will effect either team without knowing all the details, but I would imagine quality young players and a pick or two heading to the Thrashers.

yeah, NJD have a pretty lethal 1-2 punch on the LW being able to roll Kovie and Parise.

23. Trogdor says:

NJ
    Ilya

Atlanta
    Oduya
    Clarkson
    1st Rounder

24. Trogdor says:

Just saw it flash on the TV, not sure if it’s official

WTF is sportsnet saying they may trade Gagner? Honesty? Whether or not this is true, let me reiterate that my opinion on these guys is that I think they’re fucked. Well maybe not them personally maybe the producers but not a huge fan of the sports net broadcast. I like the actual game broadcast but in general, not so much.

Trogdor: NJ
    IlyaAtlanta
    Oduya
    Clarkson
    1st Rounder

is that speculation, or you heard that somewhere, twitter is saying

“Kovalchuk for Oduya, Bergfors, a prospect (believed to be Mattias Tedenby”

27. Trogdor says:

Flashed on Sportsnet, not official though. Speculation after I rewound to look at it again.

gr8one:
    is that speculation, or you heard that somewhere, twitter is saying
    “Kovalchuk for Oduya, Bergfors, a prospect (believed to be Mattias Tedenby”

Back on Oilers topic.. not sure if someone mentioned it, but Brule out, Pisani in. Booooo (nothing against Pisani though). Hopefully he doesn’t have the Flu again. If so, we should buy him some oranges or something.

Btw, the 4th period (usually good) also says:

Kovalchuk for Oduya, Bergfors, a prospect (believed to be Mattias Tedenby) and a 1st round pick… more on that soon

30. Trogdor says:

Read something about Pisani being a player we’d move, but we’re not playing him. Maybe he’ll get some more ice time now to give other teams a better look. I think/hope we’ll hang on to Brule.

So harding also in… guess his hip is better.

Pisani might fetch us a low pick. That’d be alright.

JDD keeping us in early!

34. Trogdor says:

Fast paced start to a game I thought would be a snoozer.

Palmiere not Tedenby is the word now.

It could be, Trogs, that they ARE showcasing him tonight (Pisani). John Druce 2.0 could be helpful in a playoff run.

Racki: Palmiere not Tedenby is the word now.

Haven’t even heard of one of them, young guys with some positive looking offensive upside is my guess

And wow, JDD is reminding more and more of Hasek lately.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Comrie-Potulny-O’Sullivan/Cogs
    Moreau – Horcoff – Pisani
    Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini

That’s a similar depth chart to how I was thinking at the beginning of the season. Now only if Horcs cap hit reflected his place on the chart.

38. Trogdor says:

Ottawa up 2-0 over Van. Where the hell did they come from as of late?

Now they’re saying Cormier instead of Palmieri/Tedenby

Trogdor: Ottawa up 2-0 over Van.Where the hell did they come from as of late?

While we were on a ginormous losing streak, they were on a pretty huge winning streak. This could be #11 in a row! Crazy.

41. Trogdor says:

TSN story now says acquired…

The Thrashers acquired defenceman John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and a first round pick.

Racki:

Every hockey fan in the Nations’ Capital is starting to map our potential parade routes.

43. Trogdor says:

Another penalty kill practice.

44. Trogdor says:

Nice snow angel save. Very Hasek like.

Ok add Salmela in there. LOL Kovalchuk and Salmela for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier and a 1st

46. Trogdor says:

Hooray for more snow angels. Like how he skooched forward there as well to get off the goal line.

Now THATS a snow angel.

48. Trogdor says:

Salmela is from Nokia, Finland. I knew Nokia was Finnish, but didn’t know it was a city as well.

49. Trogdor says:

Be nice to head to the dressing room up by 1.