By , February 1, 2010 9:33 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Well, let’s call this one for what it is. If the Oilers win this one, things get a bit tighter. But if the Oilers lose, they’re going to have a 9-point separation with the Hurricanes (OT points, aside). I would almost think that even the Oilers couldn’t blow THAT lead.

The Edmonton Oilers are on game number 13 of a losing streak, having gone all of January without a win. The Hurricanes are headed the other direction lately, having won 5 of their last 6 games, all this since naming Eric Staal their new captain. Coincidence? Possibly. But this is something I think the Oilers could learn from as well.

Anyways, prediction time:

Canes 3, Oilers 2

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

(To be updated once I hear more..Steve-o updated at 7:15)
Penner – Gagner – Nilsson
O’Sullivan – Poo – Brule
Moreau – Horcoff – Comrie
JFJ – Cogliano – Stortini

Visnovsky – Chorney
Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Plante – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Carolina Hurricanes Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Whitney – Staal – Jokinen

18 PP% 19
79.6 PK% 73.9
29 S/G 28.6
31.3 SA/G 31.6
49.3 FO% 47.2

GAME NOTES

- Sheldon Souray is out now with a broken hand. It could be possible he’ll be done for the season. Whatever the case, that likely stalled any possibility of trading him until after the season.
- The Oilers have recalled Alex Plante. Not sure where he’ll play, but I’ll put him in the line-up in Souray’s spot for now.
- Deslauriers gets the start tonight, according to Oilers Twitter
- UPDATE @ 1:00PM: Stortini and Comrie are in for tonight’s game. Dan Tencer thinks that Pouliot and Jacques will be out.
- Comrie missed the last game due to soreness in his hand from the fight in the previous game.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAR – 02:42 – Alberts from (Sutter)
EDM – 07:59 – JFJ from (Pouliot, Plante)
EDM – 15:00 – Brule from (O’Sullivan, Cogliano)
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAR – 10:49 – Jokinen from (Staal, Pitkanen)
EDM – 13:31- Pouliot from (Stortini,JFJ)
EDM – 17:05 – Gagner from (Comrie,O’Sullivan) PP
3RD PERIOD SCORING
No scoring…
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 14 10 3 27
CARCAR 11 9 15 35

POST-GAME RANT

Hooray!!!  The streak is broken!  Now, how do we build on a  victory over a team only one spot ahead of us?  Blockbuster trade?  Move salary for picks?  I’d like to say we’ll find out soon, but I’m doubtful of that.  Bit scared after a first shot first goal again, but sounds like JDD was solid since then.

I’ll leave the rest of the space for Racki to post some thoughts since he actually attended the game.

Racki here… sometimes when you’re at the game you catch certain things more, but you also miss a lot of key stuff… so these are just my own observations. Jeff Deslauriers… wow, am I wrong in saying he was horrid tonight? Only 2 goals against, but he was shakey. Two really bad goals, had troubles hanging on to the puck, made his marquee flub behind the net. Alex Plante – solid game for the youngster. First NHL game and he gets an assist; can’t complain about that. Looked like his minutes were very sheltered, but he kept it simple and I didn’t catch any mistakes (except he fell on his butt once… not sure if that was helped along by someone). Jason Strudwick – SOLID game from him. He got the second star, and he looked like a natural, veteran d-man and made life easy for Plante. Horcoff… the fans were all over him tonight. He is an offensive vacuum, but he did make the odd good play. Somehow Comrie managed to get the top star. He looked decent at times, very sluggish at other times. So I don’t get that one, unless it was due to him surviving playing with two of the worst players on the team right now. The line of Brule, O’Sullivan and Cogliano really impressed me. I’d like to see it some more. The top line (Penner line)? Not so much. Nilsson impressed me at times with his back checking, but aside from that, they looked invisible to me. Good game by Pouliot as well… he probably should have earned a star; maybe even first star. Jacques was pretty solid as well, and I believe he earned the 3rd star.

For the enemy, Joni Pitkanen… two stupid penalties, but wow was he a force out there. I was happy to see him go when he was traded, but I may change my mind on that. He even looked physical tonight too. He showed some good battle in the 3rd period. Apparently he played over 13 minutes in the 3rd too.

Anyways, next game is Wednesday vs. the Flyers at Rexall. It’s a 7:30 start on TSN.

97 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes – Feb 1, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – PPV – Game 54”

LateNightOilFan: Cane announcers – ‘And now, a disturbance’ as JDD gets pushed over.

Tripp Tracy is absolutely brutal, he makes me want to gouge my eye out with a rusty melon baller, even my wife can’t stand him…I can’t even begin to describe some of his idiocy. But, alas…gotta get my hockey fix somehow.

ummm, for the brule goal we’ll go with:

cogliano channels the hemsky magic doing a through his own legs puck drag into a beauty backhand pass to o’sullivan, who then proceeds to head fake ward into paralysis and then makes a seeing eye pass over to brule, who then proceeds to deke through a d-mans legs and then into the open net. they proceeded to find a jock strap in the corner

3. MetalOil says:

And Calgary still can’t Score goals I see. At least for now LOL.

as for the carolina goal, we can just go with a lucky fluttering shot from the point that proceeds to bounce off of every oiler leg before just barely crossing the line

and why is rod and some random dude talking about mouth to mouth?

looks as though the flames/rangers trade is still on

7. Trogdor says:

Yeah, still talk about Kotalik, but a strange move to want to hang on to Oli for one more game… It’s ice, he could slip and hurt himself.

8. Trogdor says:

Flyers 1
    Flames 0

9. Trogdor says:

Ah… One of the Jokinens is scoring…

10. Trogdor says:

Best nickname ever…

I was going to say we need to stop the bleeding, sounded like all hope was lost there. Time to kill a PP and keep the momentum rolling.

11. Trogdor says:

PIMs for Whitney!

I forgot how fast Belgian brews can foam up…

12. Trogdor says:

GAGNER SCORES!!!

2 goal lead, wow…!

14. MetalOil says:

Of all the games for us to win( or on the way to winning ) it has to be against the canes LOL. Anyone heading down to Whyte for celebrations :)

15. Trogdor says:

Yeah, it’s the Canes, but no complaints. It’s been too long…
    Already a better month than January!

16. MetalOil says:

So are last two wins(fingers crossed, knock on wood) will be the Canes and Leafs. Hummmmmm.

17. Trogdor says:

2-0 Flyers over Flames. No immediate dividends so far.

18. Haboiler says:

We’ll take any win at this point… just to say that we can still do it. Been way to long.

19. Trogdor says:

Getting outshot in the 3rd, but sounds like we’re doing alright.

flames lost 3-0

also mckenzie and dreger both saying that trade should be going down soon

finally a fucking victory

23. Haboiler says:

OIL WIN OIL WIN OIL WIN lol

24. Trogdor says:

Bigger news than that, Oilers win!!!

25. MetalOil says:

Get those Oiler car flags out from the attic, head to your nearest Whyte Avenue watering hole and paint Oil decals onto your faces because our Edmonton Oilers have reached new highs by hitting the win column in 2010 !!!!! Party Time !!!!!!!

Broad Street Bullies Beware……… You are next on the hit list !!!!!!! YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!

woop!!!!

Undefeated in February!!!!

27. Trogdor says:

Alright, I’m logging off. Time to head to Whyte and party!

Thanks for coming out!

Woo hoo!! OILERS WIN!!

Nice to see a happy bunch of our guys on the ice at the end of a game. Absolutely hilarious they took 2 pts from the Canes though.

And I’m out, been fading in and out all night, long day. Good night all!

Of all games. Why this one? Oilers can’t even lose right. lol Oh well, there’s always next game.

chucker: Of all games. Why this one?Oilers can’t even lose right. lolOh well, there’s always next game.

Yeah, we won against the second worst team in the league, woop. Haven’t seen highlights yet but I can’t imagine we’ll have the same success the next game or the next few games for that matter. Oh well a win’s a win but come on against our competition for top lotto pick…

Well just got back from the game. It was a decent game… although I’m with Chucker.. of all games to win? This is our last game of the season win vs. Calgary…

32. MetalOil says:

Its even worse when you look back on our last two wins. Carolina and Toronto

MetalOil: Its even worse when you look back on our last two wins. Carolina and Toronto

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I didn’t really realize that until you brought it up, jeez haha. Well look at it this way if we loose twelve more games I’m pretty sure we’ll end up with a top pick, if not second for sure. To be honest I think Toronto will do better now so if Carolina regains their winning ways then we should be set.

Quinn just mentioned out luck in the post game presser mentioning a piece a dog poo that was too soggy to lite. Haha, at least we get some entertaining things to talk and quote about from his pressers.

34. MetalOil says:

Quick question Racki since I was not able to actually see the game. How did Plante look? He has gotten good reviews so far on the radio and on the OMB.

I just updated the post game report with my thoughts on a bunch of players (including Plante)…

But Plante seemed to get very sheltered minutes. He kept his game VERY simple. To his credit, Jason Strudwick didn’t hang him out to dry like he has other d-men. Strudwick had a very good game, and in turn, that made life simple for Plante. Plante did perfectly fine but wasn’t really tested in any way to get excited about. I didn’t see him make any mistakes though, which is always good.

37. MetalOil says:

Alright. You cannot really ask for any more than that from a young D man playing in his first NHL game.

Yup… it was a solid performance. Nothing stand out. Kevin Lowe had a saying back when he was a d-man… you know you’re doing a good job when people don’t notice you out there.

Well, I noticed because I specifically watched him like a hawk, intently. But really he didn’t do anything standout in any way whatsoever, which should be taken as a good thing. :P

Eggfugginzackly! Smarter than our GM, he is.

40. MetalOil says:

And that is the reason I really really want to see the Wrecking ball(Peckham) in our lineup. Any clue what type of injury he has?

Racki: So I went with my g/f’s dad, and he himself hit the nail on the head: “You know the one thing we’re lacking? We don’t have anyone mean on the blue line like Jason Smith was.”Eggfugginzackly! Smarter than our GM, he is.

Yeah, we need another GATOR. And Bob Mc announced Cgy-NYR trade call is happening now. Deal is exactly as @DarrenDreger reported it last night – Jokinen/Prust for Higgins/Kotalik. as per his twitter.

Yah I heard… how fucked up is that trade though?

Sunday’s convo..
    Sather: “Ok so we’re doing this, right? I’ll send in the paperwork now.”
    Sutter: “Uh, no… I’d like to get one more game out of Olli.”
    Sather: “Uh, what?”
    Sutter: “Yah, just one more game out of him.”
    *uncomfortable silence for 5 mins*
    Sather: “Uh… what?”
    Sutter: “I’ll call you tomorrow.”

Seriously though, who the hell puts a trade on hold to get another game out of a player? Especially when that deal has already hit the airwaves. I was joking at work that I hope Jokinen spends the game doing snow angels on the ice, and puts his line offside on every shift.

M.O.: sounds like Peckham is out with a concussion.

I’m kinda thinking they’ll be in the big hunt to acquire Kovalchuk but really even if they did land Kovi they’ll still need a center for both him and Iggy not to mention if they don’t make it deep in the playoffs I don’t think Kovi would even stay. It’s a big risk and it doesn’t look to good with their current record either…

45. MetalOil says:

Ahhhh well that sucks. We probably will not see him up here this season then. It is too bad because when he was up for his brief duty last year he brought an injection of energy that seemed to be contagious for the rest of the team. I have not seen that energy on the Oilers since he was sent back down.

Oh and wanted to give some props to Chorney. He made a REALLY horrrrriibble pass tonight. But there were some really good plays tonight by him too. 5 shots blocked, including a beauty one without his stick. (but damn, what an awful pass on that giveaway)