By , February 1, 2010 9:33 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Well, let’s call this one for what it is. If the Oilers win this one, things get a bit tighter. But if the Oilers lose, they’re going to have a 9-point separation with the Hurricanes (OT points, aside). I would almost think that even the Oilers couldn’t blow THAT lead.

The Edmonton Oilers are on game number 13 of a losing streak, having gone all of January without a win. The Hurricanes are headed the other direction lately, having won 5 of their last 6 games, all this since naming Eric Staal their new captain. Coincidence? Possibly. But this is something I think the Oilers could learn from as well.

Anyways, prediction time:

Canes 3, Oilers 2

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

(To be updated once I hear more..Steve-o updated at 7:15)
Penner – Gagner – Nilsson
O’Sullivan – Poo – Brule
Moreau – Horcoff – Comrie
JFJ – Cogliano – Stortini

Visnovsky – Chorney
Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Plante – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Carolina Hurricanes Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Whitney – Staal – Jokinen

18 PP% 19
79.6 PK% 73.9
29 S/G 28.6
31.3 SA/G 31.6
49.3 FO% 47.2

GAME NOTES

- Sheldon Souray is out now with a broken hand. It could be possible he’ll be done for the season. Whatever the case, that likely stalled any possibility of trading him until after the season.
- The Oilers have recalled Alex Plante. Not sure where he’ll play, but I’ll put him in the line-up in Souray’s spot for now.
- Deslauriers gets the start tonight, according to Oilers Twitter
- UPDATE @ 1:00PM: Stortini and Comrie are in for tonight’s game. Dan Tencer thinks that Pouliot and Jacques will be out.
- Comrie missed the last game due to soreness in his hand from the fight in the previous game.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
CAR – 02:42 – Alberts from (Sutter)
EDM – 07:59 – JFJ from (Pouliot, Plante)
EDM – 15:00 – Brule from (O’Sullivan, Cogliano)
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CAR – 10:49 – Jokinen from (Staal, Pitkanen)
EDM – 13:31- Pouliot from (Stortini,JFJ)
EDM – 17:05 – Gagner from (Comrie,O’Sullivan) PP
3RD PERIOD SCORING
No scoring…
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 14 10 3 27
CARCAR 11 9 15 35

POST-GAME RANT

Hooray!!!  The streak is broken!  Now, how do we build on a  victory over a team only one spot ahead of us?  Blockbuster trade?  Move salary for picks?  I’d like to say we’ll find out soon, but I’m doubtful of that.  Bit scared after a first shot first goal again, but sounds like JDD was solid since then.

I’ll leave the rest of the space for Racki to post some thoughts since he actually attended the game.

Racki here… sometimes when you’re at the game you catch certain things more, but you also miss a lot of key stuff… so these are just my own observations. Jeff Deslauriers… wow, am I wrong in saying he was horrid tonight? Only 2 goals against, but he was shakey. Two really bad goals, had troubles hanging on to the puck, made his marquee flub behind the net. Alex Plante – solid game for the youngster. First NHL game and he gets an assist; can’t complain about that. Looked like his minutes were very sheltered, but he kept it simple and I didn’t catch any mistakes (except he fell on his butt once… not sure if that was helped along by someone). Jason Strudwick – SOLID game from him. He got the second star, and he looked like a natural, veteran d-man and made life easy for Plante. Horcoff… the fans were all over him tonight. He is an offensive vacuum, but he did make the odd good play. Somehow Comrie managed to get the top star. He looked decent at times, very sluggish at other times. So I don’t get that one, unless it was due to him surviving playing with two of the worst players on the team right now. The line of Brule, O’Sullivan and Cogliano really impressed me. I’d like to see it some more. The top line (Penner line)? Not so much. Nilsson impressed me at times with his back checking, but aside from that, they looked invisible to me. Good game by Pouliot as well… he probably should have earned a star; maybe even first star. Jacques was pretty solid as well, and I believe he earned the 3rd star.

For the enemy, Joni Pitkanen… two stupid penalties, but wow was he a force out there. I was happy to see him go when he was traded, but I may change my mind on that. He even looked physical tonight too. He showed some good battle in the 3rd period. Apparently he played over 13 minutes in the 3rd too.

Anyways, next game is Wednesday vs. the Flyers at Rexall. It’s a 7:30 start on TSN.

97 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers vs. Carolina Hurricanes – Feb 1, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – PPV – Game 54”

1. mrgod2u says:

The Oil should lose this one in a walk.

I want our blockbuster trade!

2. NorwegianOiler says:

Should we name Eric Staal our captain as well? :P

I don’t know about your guys, but I am super stoked for the PPV tonight!!!! :lol:

I’m totally going to order it on all of my TVs!

N.O.: Making a player on another team our captain might even be an improvement..

I’m thinking Whiney et al. will be trying to put on a show so they can get traded to a contender. Our guys have not shown the same spunk knowing they are on the block. I have to think the Canes win this.

By the by, wasn’t the toilet bowl on Saturday? So what do we dub this game? *face/palm*

Whitney*

Yah I’m thinking the Canes win it too. Wonder what their PPV numbers will be like.

8. mrgod2u says:

After Saturday they should be paying the fans to watch the games.

Maybe we can get some teams to buy it as an instructional video on how not to care.

Or maybe we can have a DVD made of the game to take to prospective UFA’s houses. Then we can show it to them so they can see how much they will shine compared to this years crap-heap of a team.

we win because the canes are from the east, and the east sucks

Don’t care how bad the teams’ records may be Oilers vs Canes always reminds me of this…

Oh and about the captaincy if the Oilers strip Moreau of the “C” or sit him I think that shuts most if not all doors for a decent trade involving number 18.

Well he should be traded, to begin with… so…… kill 2 birds with one stone? ;)

12. OilerTyler says:

I noticed Boynton was put on waivers today, we should pick him up

Ya, i posted over in the general section about it… i don’t think we will pick him up, but it would be nice!

14. Hockey Noob says:

Plante – Strudwick should be interesting. What a crazy season for Oilers fans?

I’m still hoping that we see some changes with the roster prior to the deadline. I can’t imagine Struds, Moreau, and Staios all in Oilers silks next season–that would be too much to bear.

Hopefully Tambo can clean house a bit.

15. neufab says:

I still haven’t decided if I want to spend $15 to watch our farm team. Interesting to see Plante who was drafted the same year as Gagner.

If I hear one more person say that trades are difficult to make then I’ll come unglued. Obviously they’re possible.

neufab: I still haven’t decided if I want to spend $15 to watch our farm team.Interesting to see Plante who was drafted the same year as Gagner.
    If I hear one more person say that trades are difficult to make then I’ll come unglued.Obviously they’re possible.

I’ve been saying the exact opposite for a while. OK, maybe not exact opposite, but I’ve been saying that it’s not as hard to move Moreau or Staios as people make it sound. Hell, throw them on waivers and be done with it, if it’s THAT hard. I don’t think our reputation can suffer anymore than it already has at 30th in the league. At least doing that would show that this team is committed to turning things around.

And Noob, he best clean house, or I’ll TP his house!

Wow, good(ish) news from Dreger. Souray expects to be back playing again in 6 weeks. That’ll be after the deadline though.

18. Trogdor says:

At least that’s a favorable prognosis for someone possibly looking for a playoff boost… Olympic break gives him more heal time too.

I wonder if any of my locals will be picking up the tab for the PPV tonight. Probably BP’s.

Mr. Trogdor, you have the con…

Racki: The “in-laws” got some tickets, so I will be going to the game tonight. Lord have mercy on my soul.Mr. Trogdor, you have the con…

Haha, I’ll go with them Racki if it means I’d get to go to the game. Although the last game I went to (vs Stars) they looked like a last place team…

Racki: lol, it’s not the “in-laws” that’s the reason I don’t want to go.. it’s the Oilers stinking that is the reason. But hey, this way I don’t have to order a PPV or watch it online, I suppose.

Haha ah yeah, that’s a good reason too. They didn’t look confident at all in the game I went to and you could see the frustration in real live situation that you don’t normally see on TV. At least you’ll get an in-depth look at Plante.

Yah that’s at least a bonus.. interested in how he does tonight.

24. Trogdor says:

I have the con? Does that mean I have to turn Ched on?

Fernando Pisani and Ryan Potulny are sitting out tonight – as per tencer via twitter

damn, tencer put up the lines and cogliano gets the short straw

27. Trogdor says:

We won! The opening faceoff…

28. Trogdor says:

Trying to watch a feed but it’s awful, switching to radio…

And yeah, down 1 early… Have fun tonight Racki!

29. Trogdor says:

Woohoo, JFJ! 1-1. Plante gets first career point.

nice shot JFJ.

hmmm, listening to the radio and tencer seems to be in the future on twitter

btw…watching the one and only Oilers game that’s televised down here tonight, it’s good to see them on real tv.

I forgot JFJ was in the lineup lately. Nice sneaky goal there to tie it up.

It would be fitting if the Oilers actually won tonight, seeing as our last win came against the Leafs who are also basement dwellers with us. So it wouldn’t be surprising if they bookended their losing streak against the 2 teams they actually want to get points.

hmmm, seems poo and cogliano have switched spots too

Cane announcers – ‘And now, a disturbance’ as JDD gets pushed over.

Nice goal!!

37. Trogdor says:

2-1? How many people are starting to order the PPV late today?

ha ha future tencer…missed that one

39. Trogdor says:

Hard to write descriptions of the goals when they’re on the radio… Maybe I’ll drop those for tonight.

40. Trogdor says:

Future Tencer is twitting in a pretty negative light…

Trogdor: Hard to write descriptions of the goals when they’re on the radio…Maybe I’ll drop those for tonight.

we could make up some descriptions

42. MetalOil says:

I notice on NHL.com that we are up 2-1! Forget the losing streak, When is the last time we were even leading in a game?

43. Trogdor says:

We were up 3-0! Then lost 5-3. Wait, that was Toronto…

44. Trogdor says:

Steve-O:
    we could make up some descriptionsi.e. plante skates it end to end, with a couple savardian spin-o-rama’s while finally dishing it off to poo, who then proceeds to take it behind the net and saucer it over to jfj, who then does a between the legs top shelf goal

Congrats! You’re the new VP of descriptive writing.

45. MetalOil says:

Is this game on any websites???

not that i can find, i’m rocking the ched

47. Trogdor says:

Was trying to watch on one feed, but it was too bad to know what was going on.

48. MetalOil says:

The old fashioned way eh!!!

49. Trogdor says:

Flames game is on though…