By , February 8, 2010 8:03 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Phoenix Coyotes

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Phoenix Coyotes

The Oilers are coming off a very poor performance in Colorado in which Deslauriers kept the score as close as it was. The previous game was a loss against the Wild after two wins (vs. Philadelphia and Carolina). The Coyotes were blanked 4-0 vs. the Stars on Saturday, but their previous six games were win. The two teams have had opposite looking seasons this year. The Oilers are 2-7-1 in the last 10 games while the Coyotes are 7-3-0. The Oilers are 18-33-6 on the year and the Coyotes are nearly the inverse at 35-19-5. This is another good example of a team that has gone through tough years but is seeing the fruits of their labour. With any luck, the Oilers will see the same turnaround soon.

Anyways, I figure another loss, unfortunately (depending on your point of view, I suppose). Prediction: Coyotes 4, Oilers 3.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Nilsson
Brule-Pouliot-O’Sullivan
Moreau – Horcoff – Pisani
Jacques-Cogliano-Comrie

Visnovsky-Smid
Grebehskov-Gilbert
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Pitton

Phoenix Coyotes Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Lombardi-Lang-Doan

19 PP% 16.1
75.1 PK% 83.3
28.5 S/G 29.6
31.9 SA/G 29.4
46.8 FO% 50.5

GAME NOTES

– Smid and Staios return to the lineup tonight. Not sure just yet on the lines, but I’ve posted my guess above. Will update the lines when I hear what they are.
– Looks like Gagner will be scratched tonight due to knee soreness. If he requires surgery and its delayed, I suggest that Trogdor gives up his spot in line for knee surgery so that Gagner can have it.
– Last minute change.. Comrie is in, Stortini is out.
– Add to that, Potulny will get top line billing, Pouliot hits the 2nd line, according to Dan Tencer.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
PHX – 9:58 – Jovanovsky from Lang, Lombardi
On a delayed penalty to Staios, Jovanovski gets the puck at the point and blasts it through traffic past Deslauriers.
PHX – 19:29 – Lombardi from Doan, Lang
Lombardi receives a gorgeous, behind-the-back, no-look pass from Doan from behind the goal line (highlight material). Horcoff follows behind Lombardi as he goes across the front of the net. Lombardi just out waits Deslauriers who eventually goes down, and Lombardi backhands it up stairs.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
PHX – 1:11 – Lombardi from Vandermeer, Doan
Vandermeer makes a pass cross-ice through traffic to Lombardi on the entry into the zone. He shoots it up stairs past Deslauriers’ glove hand
PHX – 5:48 – Vandermeer from Lombardi, Hanzal
Vandermeer shoots it from the point. It redirects in off Strudwick in the high slot and fools Deslauriers.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
PHX – 4:19 – Vrbata from Lombardi
At the end of a penalty to the Coyotes, Vrbata gets the puck and blows past Grebeshkov in alone on Deslauriers. He dekes glove side on Deslauriers and beats him.
PHX – 11:40 – Lang from Pyatt
Lang skates into the slot and backhands it low past Deslauriers.
EDM – 15:32 – Penner from Nilsson
Penner beats Jovanovsky, and then loses control of the puck, but Nilsson reels it in. Nilsson throws it back across to Penner and Jovanovski kicks it at Bryzgalov. Bryzy makes the save and it rebounds to Penner who puts it behind the goaltender.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 13 9 12 34
PHX PHX 12 10 11 33

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:10 – Nilsson is nailed by Prucha just after the whistle. Luckily he half dodged the hit, but could have ended ugly with potential knee contact.
15:15 – The vet line look like a bunch of lost idiots on this shift, unable to perform a basic break out.
14:08 – Bissonnette runs over Deslauriers and tries to sell it as an accident, but the ref isn’t buying.
13:19 – Phoenix is called for a second penalty, giving the oil a 5-on-3 for 1:08.
12:51 – Comrie just misses putting in a power play goal on the side of the net.
11:14 – The Coyotes successfully kill off both penalties of the 5-on-3. The Oilers generated 7 shots over both powerplays, but Bryzgalov stood tall.
7:11 – Good toe drag by Brule to get past Yandle into the middle of the ice in on Bryzgalov. He doesn’t quite have enough room to beat Bryzgalov though and also ends up taking the goal post to the face. He earns a pat on the shoulder from one of the coaches for his efforts.
6:25 – Bryzgalov makes a nice save on Nilsson in tight.
3:00 – About 1 minute into another Oilers powerplay, and it looks horrific. Not sure if this is because of the Oilers bad powerplay ability or Coyotes exceptional penalty killing. I’ll go with a combination of both.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

18:03 – Doan gets hurt battling for a puck. He leaves the ice to the dressing room. Looked like it may have been his wrist.
14:44 – Jovanovski throws a good hit on Brule.
13:40 – Doan returns to the Coyotes bench, so looks like he’s OK.
11:40 – Big hit here by Brule on Fiddler who was just laying a hit on Pouliot at the time.
11:00 – Strudwick bowls over Fiddler at the blueline, from behind as he’s catching up to him.
9:56 – Penner accidentally high-sticks Hanzal and draws blood and earns a 4 minute penalty.
6:20 – 3 and a half minutes into this double-minor, and we’re now just finally seeing signs of life from the Coyotes on this powerplay. Good kill by the Oilers.
5:49 – Penner’s penalty expires and he gets an end-to-end pass from Pouliot at the Coyotes blue line. He is in nearly alone on Bryzgalov and fires a shot that Bryzy just gets enough of, as it raises up high and out of play.
4:43 – What a play by Brule as he goes around a sprawling d-man to backhand a pass out to O’Sullivan. O’Sullivan gets a great shot off but Bryzgalov absolutely robs him as he quickly goes post to post.
1:41 – Good defensive play by Strudwick to prevent a Winnik breakaway here.
1:27 – Bissonnette looks like the new agitator/actor of the year trying to sell a Pouliot hit as dirty… with a 4-0 lead.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:10 – Potulny tries to pass it across to Penner on the other side of the net. Bryzgalov bites and cheats across, but the puck comes back to Potulny. He tries to jam it in, but Bryzgalov quickly recovers and gets his pad across.
17:48 – Good play by Pouliot to drive to the net with Lang hanging off his back. He rings it off the post and draws a penalty.
12:43 – Big hit by Brule on Perreault… he ends up leaving the game due to the hit.
11:50 – Nice moves by Vrbata here to toe-drag the shiat out of Pisani and Staios.
11:15 – Strudwick starts a fight with Bissonnette. Starts off looking like a mistake here. But midway through, Strudwick battles back. Both of these guys tally a decent punch count. No real big bombs, just several shots.
7:12 – Comrie fights Prucha and earns the KO on the second punch. Wowza. Prucha throws the first punch, and then Comrie lands a glancing blow, then connects on the beak of Prucha, knocking him down.
2:40 – Penner throws a cross-ice pass to Nilsson. Nilsson one times it, but Bryzgalov quickly gets across and takes the shot in the crest. Nilsson gets the rebound and puts it on net again, but Bryzgalov saves it yet again.

POST-GAME RANT

The score was pretty brutally ugly, however it may be slightly misleading. The Oilers definitely deserved a loss, but performances by Bryzgalov and Lombardi really made the score what it was. Bryzgalov stood on his head and was only outdone by Lombardi who had a 5 point night. For the Oilers, Nilsson had a pretty good game offensively, showing more signs of being a shooter tonight (although not gaining any rewards from the shooting). Brule also had a great game as he threw his weight around and worked some magic with the puck. Comrie had a brief tussle with Prucha in the 3rd, scoring the KO as he connected with a punch right to the face of Prucha, buckling his knees and sending him to the “frozen canvass”.

Pretty mediocre game played by Deslauriers tonight. He didn’t get much help back there, but he also wasn’t bailing anyone out either. The loss doesn’t rest on his shoulders, however. This game did have too many freeloaders in white tonight, and that resulted in the lopsided score.

Next game, Wednesday night at 8:00 on TSN vs. the Ducks, in Anaheim.

Draft Watch
# TEAM PTS GP
27 logo 54 58
28 logo 49 58
29 logo 49 60
30 logo 42 58

102 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Phoenix Coyotes 6 – Feb 8, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – SNET – Game 58”

1. neufab says:

Oilers have never lost 10 road games in a row. With the records they’ve set this year, I don’t think they need to set this one. I hope they win 3-2.

I guessed a phoenix win, just based on their hot streak and record. But I know the last game was close and the one before I think we shut them out.

3. Haboiler says:

Oilers Twitter says top line is 27/78/12… wow look out Phoenix lol… Brule on with Potulny and O Sully. Would have liked to see Pots or Brule take Pouliots spot up there or even put both of them with Penner.

oh man that top line is disgustingly bad. lol Well, who knows. Didn’t Pouliot/Nilsson have some sort of chemistry together? So you never know, right?

Hmm, I presume then that Gagner is out (due to knee)?

Do you have the other lines listed? Can’t check twitter at work.

6. Trogdor says:

I’ve considered the suggestion of giving up my time slot for Gagner, and have decided it is more beneficial to the team if I go ahead and get myself fixed first. It will work out best for everyone involved.

7. Haboiler says:

From their site: ODD MAN OUT UNKNOWN

With Brule and Nilsson back in, and Gagner out, the Oilers must scratch another forward tonight. After the morning skate, Quinn still wasn’t sure who that would be.

“My list is probably one of six, so I haven’t finished spinning the wheel yet,” he said.

My best guess is:
    Penner-Pouliot-Nillson
    Brule-Potulny-O’Sullivan
    Moreau-Comrie-Pisani
    Jacques-Cogliano-Stortini

Horc finally takes a seat… Pure speculation on my part.

Racki: Hmm, I presume then that Gagner is out (due to knee)?Do you have the other lines listed? Can’t check twitter at work.

Would love to see it, but I don’t think it’ll happen though. Apparently according to today’s practice, the lines above look like what they’ll go with.. but if Quinn said that after practice, then it’s still up in the air obviously. So guess we just wait and see.

9. Haboiler says:

Oilersnation is stating that Comrie is out as a healthy scratch. Doesn’t make too much sense to me as Horc isn’t getting traded and its showcase time in E-Town.

10. mrgod2u says:

I’ll say it again, have any of the players we want to trade been doing anything that could remotely resemble “showcasing” ?!?

Honestly they are better off in the press box where they at least can’t further develop their minus rating or get injured.

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

If some of the guys we want to trade spent a night in the press box they might come to play the next game with some added intensity. I feel like the writing has been on the wall for a guy like Moreau for a while now, he’s playing like it. I wouldn’t expect him to be the least bit shocked if/when he’s traded.

12. neufab says:

Too bad we can’t scratch “Captain”, not good optics. Wouldn’t help his stock much, even though the team isn’t any worse…

I just want to watch a win for once… like the Dec. 11 win over the Blues; 5-3 win after scoring 5 straight once they started to play. If you look at the season early on, the few bigger wins that this team has had occurred with Hemsky in the line-up.

Guess once the trade fire storm begins we won’t know if last years team was bad because of MacT or if the team just couldn’t rise to the occasion without Hemsky. I expect next years team to be better.

13. neufab says:

I have been quite pleased with Gagner, Brule, Comrie, Potulny, Smid, Visnovsky, and Penner. More recently the 4th line has been something this team has long needed, except they need to WIN fights.

Brind’Amour has been scratched this year (and had his captaincy stripped). Of course, they’re also in the basement along with us. lol But really, I don’t think optics here can get any worse, so they shouldn’t worry about looking bad. Just do whatever it takes. But benching Moreau might mean we stand a better chance to win.. so I’m not sure I’m in favor of that.. :P

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

if they bench him, and he comes out and plays better because of it, then he will have better trade value.

Here’s the talk of today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxKau5eviks

Carter rocks Salmela. It was a really hard hit, but it looked like there wasn’t any ill intent or head contact. Looks like Salmela got rocked by his own shoulder pad and/or the ice.

Last minute change.. Stortini out, Comrie in. Add to that, looks like Potulny gets top line duty, and Pouliot goes to line 2, per tencer.

18. neufab says:

Imagine a hit like that in the Olympics.

As for Moreau counting the days, you’d think the other team knows exactly what they’re getting. I suspect he’ll be better elsewhere, and think that management can better fill his roster spot. I’m feelin’ a little harsh today… I would rather not see another double digit loosing streak record. Is winning one in four too much to ask?

ooh long 5-on-3.

Off to a predictable start with the Coyotes getting the first goal.

Kind of a snoozer so far, let’s see what we can do on this pp…

Welcome, LNOF…

This powerplay is pretty horrid so far… and ended that way.

Hate those late period goals…especially after a pp.

I’m here…just nothing to say.

gr8one: I’m here…just nothing to say.It’s sad feeling so apathetic towards the Oilers, and it’s even sadder when my mind starts thinking “well, we’re probably not going to win anyways, so maybe my fantasy players on Phoenix can light shit up.”

Yah I hear you about the apathy. I still like to watch, and pull for a win or at least some exciting action. But I know the Oilers aren’t doing any favors to the GDT as most people don’t care enough to watch this train wreck :P

LateNightOilFan: I was surprised Gainey stepped down, figured it would be at the end of the season.

It makes sense in a way…. I guess he just didn’t want to force his trade deadline moves on the next GM. It’ll be too late to really name a permanent GM, I would think… but he’s probably just trying not to make the next guy live with his deadline moves.

LateNightOilFan: Hate those late period goals…especially after a pp.Kind of like my son’s game tonight, they had a 4 min pp, including over a minute 5 on 3, couldn’t do a damn thing and then the other team came back and scored.

Your son’s team probably plays a better game than the Oilers these days. :lol:

GENE… Pouliots pubis-whatever touched that heating bad, buddy…

Racki: Your son’s team probably plays a better game than the Oilers these days.

Unfortunately they’re going through their own losing streak right now, but most of them are tight, one goal games. Tonight was rather uninspiring though.

3-0 urgg…don’t like the early goals against either…

Holy crap, jeez they can’t catch a break.

Racki> yeah…no matter how bad it gets I can’t see me ever not watching the Oilers play if I can, I guys we’re just gluttons. heh

wow, ROBBERY.

really, the Oilers have not played like they should be down 4-0.

Bryzgalov is playing unbelievable…I really didn’t think he had it in him to maintain his level of play, but he’s making me a believer.

Is he on the Russian Olympic team?

Yes he is. Actually I would say there are a few players on the team that are standing out (namely Brule, Pouliot that I’ve seen so far). But there are still a lot of guys along for the ride. Maybe I’m just being overly critical. But for sure Bryzgalov has played pretty well tonight and made some big saves.

Racki: Well I honestly am going to call it now… I am not down on this team or anything or saying it out of hate or having my Boston Oiler meltdown of the night (lol) – the Oilers are going to finish dead last on the season. I thought with the pressure off, they might poor on a big draft-pick crushing rally. However, they’ve just lost any will to really battle out there, as a whole. Most of this team is playing flat. There’s a few guys that still care, but for the most part, this is some really uninspired play.Quite frankly, since I DO want a top pick, I don’t mind at all, but it does suck that this team doesn’t seem to have any dignity right now (although it could be they do, but they just plain stink).

But I’ll post a review probably during the Oly break or something.

gr8one:
    Yeah, I totally agree, I’m also very optimistic for next year as well,I think that is playing a factor in my not getting angry about this season. I still truly believe that this team has some amazing building blocks, and if management makes some savvy moves that we could very well be a respectable playoff team next year.

I can say I’m excited about the future.. just our present is pretty bleak.

gr8one: and yeah, I didn’t mean to suggest that I thought the Oilers were playing well, because they’re not…just not 4-0 bad, they certainly have had their fair share of chances, and played well on that 4 minute PK.

Yes, I noted that in the “highlights” above.. that was a very well played penalty kill. And they’ve had some stand out moments (again, really like what I see from Brule, not that this is a surprise). But I am just saying there are too many guys that are coasting, but when you see Brule and Pouliot flying around everywhere, it’s a bit misleading.

I think 2 things had a huge positive impact on Bryz coming into this season – first was winning the gold at the World’s – a huge confidence boost for him after a poor 08/09 regular season and second was the Coyotes reassigning Fuhr and bringing in Burke as goalie coach.

Racki: So btw, when Hockey Noob mentioned the free NHL Game Center Live account, it was for bloggers. I’ll be putting up a review of it once I’ve had a chance to check it out fully, but I can honestly say I was pretty damn impressed. REALLY impressed. Some of the features blow me away. I’m not saying this to blow smoke up their butts for giving me a free preview… I might actually buy this next year. Not sure if I watch enough of other team play though to justify that, however.
    But I’ll post a review probably during the Oly break or something.

yeah, I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it, if you have the ability, I’d especially like to hear how it works hooked up to a big screen, and if the streams are broadcast in a high enough resolution to look good on a tv.

Racki:
    Yes… I think the biggest positive about this team is that it’s not our key players that are the problem here. It’s all these “glue” / complementary players that are. We need some better role guys, and some banging d-men. Those are easier to come by than picking up a Gagner, MPS, Eberle, Penner, Hemsky, Visnovsky etc…We also need better luck. I mean, the team was pretty devestated by injuries. Souray, Khabi and Hemsky alone are huge palyers to lose.
    I can say I’m excited about the future.. just our present is pretty bleak.

as usual, totally agree, and having that one player to be a true offensive catalyst that can lift the team, and help everyone play up to their potential. Hemsky MIGHT still be that guy, but I’m getting wary. But a Hall/Seguin perhaps even Eberele/MPS might be that too.

Seeing how the Sedins have exploded this year I started to make a quick comparison to their career trajectory and Hemmers, and really, Hemmer is at least on par or ahead of them as far as production goes at the same point in their careers, so it’s certainly not too late for Hemmer to really bring his game to another level.

I think Bryz is going to get a SHUTOUT.

SHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUTSHUTOUT

Penner Pouliot Brule should be top line.

gr8one:

OH yah for sure I will attempt to do that. I’m interested in how that turns out too.

Bad news for Getzlaf and his Oly chances.. may have injured a knee or broke leg? According to Daren Millard:

Ryan Getzlaf falls awkwordly vs Kings.. Leg pinned under him. Looked ugly. Left the game and has not returned.

Doesn’t imply extent of injury, but those generally are never good.

who has Lombardi in the pool? :P