WJHC GDT – Canada 6 vs. Switzerland 1 – Jan 3, 2010 @ 3:00PM MST – Semifinal

Canada Canada 6 FINAL Switzerland Switzerland 1
WJHC Semifinal #1
Canada Record: 4-0-0, bye to semifinal
Switzerland Record: 3-2-0, defeated Russia to reach semifinal
Date: Jan 3 @ 3:00 PM MST
TV: TSN

That picture is of Nino Niederreiter, the Swiss forward who has been garnering a fair bit of attention this tourney, and the player that helped the Swiss to the unthinkable – a victory over the Russians. Get used to that face, because we’re going to see a fair bit of him in Sunday’s game.

This isn’t the first meeting between the two teams this tournament. Canada beat the Swiss 6-0 the first time they met, in the preliminary round. But even so, I hope the Canadians take them seriously. Look for a more inspired game from the Swiss and perhaps a tighter game.

I expect the Canadians will win this one though. My prediction is 7-2. I think the Swiss have a strong, hardworking, blue-collar team. But the Canadian powerplay is just unbelievable right now. It is currently at 43.3%. The Swiss are going to have to play a very disciplined hockey game if they hope to take down the Canadians. Of course that PP stat is inflated, having unloaded on a couple of lesser teams. But if I’m coaching another team in this tourney, I don’t want to face that powerplay.

Here are the Oilers Prospects stats:

logo EDMONTON OILERS PROSPECT WATCH
Player Team GP G A PTS +/-
Jordan Eberle Canada 4 5 5 10 +2
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson Sweden 4 3 6 9 +6
Anton Lander Sweden 4 2 2 4 +2
Teemu Hartikainen Finland 5 3 1 4 -2
Toni Rajala Finland 5 1 2 3 -1

Also, just a reminder… we can catch more of Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson and Anton Lander on Sunday in a game vs. USA. It is televised on TSN and starts at 7:00PM MST.

POST GAME RANT

This one is over. Started off close, in the first.. but the Canadians really opened up in the 2nd and 3rd. Got a bit chippy in the 3rd. Fuglister hit Hamonic from behind with about a minute and 30 left. Hamonic left the game hurt, and Fuglister earned the 5-minute major.

Players of the game: Swiss – Jorg. Canada – Scandella.

Canada will play the winner of the Sweden vs. USA game (7:00PM MST Tonight). They will play the winner Tuesday at 6:00PM MST.

71 Responses to “WJHC GDT – Canada 6 vs. Switzerland 1 – Jan 3, 2010 @ 3:00PM MST – Semifinal”

I’d like to think this will be a tough one, given the Swiss defeated Russia. But I predict that the score won’t stay close for very long. Advantage Canada.

I’m hoping for a Canada Sweden finals…..The Oilers future stars face off.

Hey B.O., did you go see the Springfield game? I think you said you were going to it. They actually won with Doobie back, if you didn’t go to the game and didn’t know that.

I’m going tomorrow when they play two towns over. I actually went to another AHL game tonight (Devils vs. Sharks) tomorrow i have another (devils vs. Falcons). They are cheap tix and a lot of fun. I’m going with friends tomorrow, there will be multiple Oilers jerseys haha. btw I just found myself on the edmonton Oilers website lol. When they came to Boston they took a pic of the fans standing next to the Tunnel where they come out and I’m there in my orange and blue hemsky jersey. It was right before I met Stortini haha

oh and btw yes i did see they won.

click the link….picture 43. I’m right behind the 2 dudes with bear suits on lol. I have the retro jerseys and hat with Oilers logo pin and Canadian flag pin. You can’t see my face but if you knew me could tell its me haha. I was sick outta my mind this game too which was funny because the whole team was already sick. I almost didn’t make it to this one i passed out on the train due to the flu and stuff and fought my dad to let me go lol. story of a champ. anyway sorry for flooding the thread…

GO CANADA

Famous!

Is that your dad/Ek-lund in the photo in front of you (wearing the hat with the shades on it)?

7. MetalOil says:

What is with the 3:00 start time? Gez now I have to flip between the Titan & Canada Game. Anyways. I expect this to be closer then most people would think. I’m going with 4-2 Canada!!

8. Trogdor says:

Looking forward to another victory today, but I would love to see a competitive game. Had some trouble with sloppy play against the US after breezing through the previous games. Want to be sharp for the final.

Today we get another preview of a future Oiler.. not Eberle… but either Hall or Niederreiter. :lol:

Seriously though, I’m hoping that Canada comes out strong early on and sets the pace. If they sit back too much, the Swiss will take advantage and not let them get into the game.

10. MetalOil says:

Man If Eberle has a big game or two here he can cement his name as the best Canadian Jr Player of all time. He may not catch up to Lindros in Career Canadian World Jr points(He trails Lindros by 7 but Lindros played in 3 while this is Jordans 2nd appearance at the WJHCs) Has anyone else had as much an impact at the Tourney then Eberle has in his two years of service on the Jr squad?

I remember Lindros in the tourney and he was DOMINANT. My favorite was when he bowled a kid over off the draw. Iirc he got a penalty for it, but it was funny to see. He had the size, plus the total package to go with it. So Lindros definitely is in a league of his own and is the rightful all-time King of the WJHC of the tournaments I saw. I wouldn’t have seen Gretzky when he was in it in 78 or whatever, but one would have to assume that he is the true King, however.

All that said though, Eberle has looked very good for Canada this year especially. Last year he was quietly good (with exception to the winner vs. Russia), but he has been loudly good this year.. everyone is taking attention.

Eberle scores!!!! I knew I’d say that on this pp ;)

13. MetalOil says:

Well Eberle looks pretty dominate out there 2 and is now only 6 points back of Lindros in one fewer tourneys played. Although I was pretty young when Lindros played for the Jrs so I really have no means of comparison. He Can’t have been more clutch the Ebs though.

I wonder what it would take to get NYI and/or Toronto’s 1st pick from Boston.

that would likely give us 2-3 top 5 picks.

15. MetalOil says:

gr8one: I wonder what it would take to get NYI and/or Toronto’s 1st pick from Boston.that would likely give us 2-3 top 5 picks.

Our number one pick.

17. MetalOil says:

I smell another goal coming up.

MetalOil:
    Our number one pick.

*without being redundant.

I’d think about giving up Hemsky for one.

19. MetalOil says:

gr8one: that Neidereiter kid does look pretty good, ya gotta wonder what kind of numbers he’d be putting up with higher caliber team mates.

I like this Conz goalie on the Swiss too. I can see him being a 1st rounder at the draft.

MetalOil:

yeah, I’d have to say after Markstrom he’s the second best goalie in the tourney.

I wouldn’t give up Hemsky unless we knew what was coming back in return.

On another note..
    I’ve got to admit, that it’s getting harder not to be excited about Eberle though.

I love Taylor Hall, and hope we can draft him next year, but I also notice he does a lot of things that give him success at this level that would get him crushed in the NHL.

on the other hand, Eberle definitely looks NHL ready.

Ungh Kadri!

24. MetalOil says:

Racki: I wouldn’t give up Hemsky unless we knew what was coming back in return.
    On another note..

He is looking to be a very good pick, espeacially at 22nd overall. I also like how the Oil have been patient with his allowing him to gain full confidence at the Jr level. He is ready for the NHL next season for sure.

Racki: Ungh Kadri!On the note of Kadri, I haven’t quite figured him out… sometimes I wonder if he’ll turn into a Steve Downie. I’m kind of glad he’s a Leaf!

yeah, honestly…other than Tavares, Hedman and Duchene, I don’t think there’s aany other players from last years draft that I’d rather have than MPS.

Evander Kane looks pretty good though too…

Brayden Schenn has been pretty good too. I personally think Toronto made the wrong choice there.

Wow, Eberle just missed the top corner on a shorthanded chance. Good attempt.

Anyways, drafting Gagner, Eberle and MPS all back-to-back-to-back is pretty effin’ incredible. Don’t give up on Gagner yet either folks!

Scandella with shorty! POORLY played by the Swiss there.

woooooooo!

nice shorty.

that was an awesome cross ice pass by Bourque.

Now Hall with a goal, 3-0… the Swiss defense is now showing their weakness. I wouldn’t say it’s so much the Canadians playing that good.

pretty sure I just heard the sound of floodgates opening.

Hopefully the Canadians don’t write them off just yet. I think they Swiss are looking much more mortal than they did yesterday though.

Swiss showing some signs of life. But they definitely have issues on the backend due to injury. Like TSN said, they have to ride their two “top” d-men for half the game.

6-1. Travis Hamonic injured on a hit from behind late in the game.. hopefully he’s OK. Bit of poor sportsmanship at the end there.

35. MetalOil says:

Yeah that was dirty but I still give that Swiss team a lot of credit for the way they played in this tourney. Now on to our opposition for gold. I’m cheering for the Sweds because I wanna see the Oils top 2 prospects go head to head for gold.

Yeah M&O, I’m hoping for a Swede win too, for the same reason, although I think Swden will be much harder to beat I think for us to take the gold.

I’m looking forward to watching the U.S.-Sweden game tionight too.

Canada will have to play better than they did today to beat either team for gold though.

Neither team will be a push over for Canada.. or should be a push over for Canada, I should say. So, I’m not looking forward to one team or the other for the sake of it being a better chance at a win. However, I too want to see Canada play Sweden, just because of the Eberle vs. MPS/Lander factor. More chance to see our prospects.. but hey, can always watch the Swedes tomorrow too (I would presume TSN would show it) if they lose tonight.

It would be nice to see a big challenge for our Swede prospects though… see how they handle facing some pretty hard competition. We should see that tonight as well though.

btw, for those of you watching the game (Sweden vs. USA), I’ll be watching it too and probably posting in here as well too, especially if our prospects make any big plays or score.

Harmonic’s injury was to the shoulder… off to the doc to get it checked. I would guess that it would be lucky if he is back by Tuesday, but who knows.

USA up 1-0 over Sweden on the first shot of the game

MPS looking good so far. Very good.

Hamonic done, per Bob McKenzie. Separated shoulder will keep him out of the gold medal game.

Racki: MPS looking good so far. Very good.

Indeed.

Goal Lander! :) 1-1… juicy rebound for Lander

woot, another oiler prospect with a goal!

Swedes have to stop taking penalties.

Another juicy rebound for Lander.. 2-1 Swedes.. woot!

48. MetalOil says:

So does Lander make the Oilers next year as well?

How did the puck stay out of the USA net there? Damn.

MetalOil.. he’ll have as good a shot as any, but I will say his two goals were what you’d normally call “garbage goals”. Right place, right time. But he’s a good defensive player with a bit of offensive upside. Depends on what the Oil’s needs are next year, I guess.