WJHC GDT – Canada 6 vs. Switzerland 1 – Jan 3, 2010 @ 3:00PM MST – Semifinal

Canada Canada 6 FINAL Switzerland Switzerland 1
WJHC Semifinal #1
Canada Record: 4-0-0, bye to semifinal
Switzerland Record: 3-2-0, defeated Russia to reach semifinal
Date: Jan 3 @ 3:00 PM MST
TV: TSN

That picture is of Nino Niederreiter, the Swiss forward who has been garnering a fair bit of attention this tourney, and the player that helped the Swiss to the unthinkable – a victory over the Russians. Get used to that face, because we’re going to see a fair bit of him in Sunday’s game.

This isn’t the first meeting between the two teams this tournament. Canada beat the Swiss 6-0 the first time they met, in the preliminary round. But even so, I hope the Canadians take them seriously. Look for a more inspired game from the Swiss and perhaps a tighter game.

I expect the Canadians will win this one though. My prediction is 7-2. I think the Swiss have a strong, hardworking, blue-collar team. But the Canadian powerplay is just unbelievable right now. It is currently at 43.3%. The Swiss are going to have to play a very disciplined hockey game if they hope to take down the Canadians. Of course that PP stat is inflated, having unloaded on a couple of lesser teams. But if I’m coaching another team in this tourney, I don’t want to face that powerplay.

Here are the Oilers Prospects stats:

logo EDMONTON OILERS PROSPECT WATCH
Player Team GP G A PTS +/-
Jordan Eberle Canada 4 5 5 10 +2
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson Sweden 4 3 6 9 +6
Anton Lander Sweden 4 2 2 4 +2
Teemu Hartikainen Finland 5 3 1 4 -2
Toni Rajala Finland 5 1 2 3 -1

Also, just a reminder… we can catch more of Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson and Anton Lander on Sunday in a game vs. USA. It is televised on TSN and starts at 7:00PM MST.

POST GAME RANT

This one is over. Started off close, in the first.. but the Canadians really opened up in the 2nd and 3rd. Got a bit chippy in the 3rd. Fuglister hit Hamonic from behind with about a minute and 30 left. Hamonic left the game hurt, and Fuglister earned the 5-minute major.

Players of the game: Swiss – Jorg. Canada – Scandella.

Canada will play the winner of the Sweden vs. USA game (7:00PM MST Tonight). They will play the winner Tuesday at 6:00PM MST.

71 Responses to “WJHC GDT – Canada 6 vs. Switzerland 1 – Jan 3, 2010 @ 3:00PM MST – Semifinal”

hahah Burke booed on the big screen by Saskatoon.

2. MetalOil says:

Racki: MetalOil.. he’ll have as good a shot as any, but I will say his two goals were what you’d normally call “garbage goals”. Right place, right time. But he’s a good defensive player with a bit of offensive upside. Depends on what the Oil’s needs are next year, I guess.

Yeah he is probable about two years away from a spot on the Oilers

Yah, it’s hard to say, really. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Lander and Hartikainen. But both of those guys are more like euro-grinders from what I can tell. I think this is Lander’s second 2-goal game, but I wouldn’t get TOO excited about that. Not to take anything away from him, or anything, but I wouldn’t expect for Lander’s biggest impact to be his offense.. but that’s still a good bonus. He might be a strong 2-way guy.

Horrible way to start the period, unless you’re an American.

Racki: Famous!Is that your dad/Ek-lund in the photo in front of you (wearing the hat with the shades on it)?

No. My dad hates the Oilers haha die-hard Bruins fan and was crushed when the Oilers won those two cups. He also likes the Hurricanes and his friend is a flames fan. He wasn’t in the picture. Don’t know who that guy is.

Eklund Twatwaffle my dad??? wtf? lol

Wow, talk about luck for Markstrom. Almost bounced off the glass, off his back and in…… or did it? Going upstairs.

Bostonoiler:
    No. My dad hates the Oilers haha die-hard Bruins fan and was crushed when the Oilers won those two cups. He also likes the Hurricanes and his friend is a Flamers fan. He wasn’t in the picture. Don’t know who that guy is.Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle my dad??? wtf? lol

I just always assumed since you seem to love the guy so much. :lol:

Looks like Eberle had a good game today. Nice, I fully expect him to make the team next year. Hall looked ok from what I hear. I think he will be an NHL star. Lander with 2 goals, he will e a key 3rd line player 2 years from now. Hows MPS doing?

Racki:
    I just always assumed since you seem to love the guy so much.

haha but hes from philly and I’m from Boston. my dad runs a rink, ek makes up bullshit in his basement. I haven’t been on the site in awhile

10. MetalOil says:

Weak

MPS no points yet, but he’s been flying. He’s been the subject of praise from McGuire and Miller all game, plus even got some love from Ray Bourque – “That guy is a first line NHL player”.

And for some reason I thought Ek was from Boston. Oh well, if you were my son, I’d move away too. Hahaha, just kidding ya.

Hey, American dude… what did you think would happen when you got completely under the puck and shot it as hard as you could? 2 mins… delay of game. come on Sweden!

Btw MPS > Lander… don’t let the 2 goals fool you. MPS has high high potential. Lander is playing well, but he’s more of a blue collar guy. Good 2-way ability though, it seems.

ok, so obviously we have the usual vets and roster locks.

plus some of the other plugs that have shown flashes like O’Marra and McDonald.

15. MetalOil says:

Well that about do it.

Ouch.. 4-2 USA. Come on you meatballs. hah… Swedish mea… nevermind.

Racki: Ouch.. 4-2 USA. Come on you meatballs. hah… Swedish mea… nevermind.

lol

gr8one: ok, so obviously we have the usual vets and roster locks.Then we have Eberle, MPS and whoever our first round pick this year being highly probable to be Oilers next year.plus all of our current bubble guys like Nilsson, Brule, Stone, Potulny, JFJ, and Reddox.
    throw in some other really interesting prospects like Omark, Nash, Lander, Hartikainen and Rajala.plus some of the other plugs that have shown flashes like O’Marra and McDonald.next years roster is going to be damned interesting, and almost impossible to predict what it’s going to look like like.

My only problem with it is we’ve got a lot of guys who could break into the league but no time for them. And Omark.. well, from what I understand we’ve yet to sign him. He could re-enter the draft if he’s not signed by the end of next year I think.

Markstrom looks rattled.

20. MetalOil says:

I’m not convinced about Markstrom. Seems to choke when it matters most.

Go North America!