Oilers to recall Alex Plante

By , January 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Not official yet, but it’s pretty much a given, unless a defenseman comes back for tomorrow that the Oilers will recall Alex Plante for Monday’s game to replace Sheldon Souray. Alex Plante was a healthy scratch against Providence today, and the reason in the game notes is “Edmonton”. In 48 games with the Falcons, Plante has 2 goals, 7 assists and is -10 with 122 penalty minutes.

edit: This is confirmed by the Edmonton Journal and Oilers.

11 Responses to “Oilers to recall Alex Plante”

Well I couldn’t see this happening, at the beginning of our season but it’s just the reality of how things have gone for this team this year (Souray a potential trading commodity fracturing his hand). It will be good to see Plante because he is suppose to be a tough/gritty defensive d-man, which we don’t have in the line-up currently. He’s going to make a few mistakes no doubt but I’d like to see this guy in action.

I have a feeling Eberle may be called up by the end of the season, I truly hope not though, not at least before he plays a few games in the ‘A’.

Yah I guess if the Pats miss the playoffs he’ll be sent to the Falcons. You’d have to figure that the Oilers wouldn’t bring him up here for more than 9 games, if at all though. I’d say even 1 would be too many.

Plante. Well, let’s hope he does well. I know there was a lot of criticism of his draft position so I’m hoping he has a good stint up here. It would be nice to know that we have two physical defenssive style d-men in the minors ready to come up when needed. (Peckham being the other)

As for Eberle, I agree completely with Racki. Send him to Springfield and don’t even let him come here this year with this BS going on. Save him for a potentially fresh start next year. No need to rush him into anything right now and for sure it would be idiotic to burn up those 9 games as you pointed out.

Yeah, I fear that management will bring up Eberle to get more on the side of the fans than anything. I really hope he ends up playing in Springfield for a good season before he comes up here. What was scary though is in training camp he was impressing Quinn quite a bit with his play.

Not scary at all ;) Be happy he was impressing.

You know I’d prefer they didn’t waste a year on him, but it was good to hear that he was the one guy that stood out in camp this year.

6. MetalOil says:

Is Peckham really this far down on the depth chart now???

No he’s just hurt.

8. MetalOil says:

Again? Damn

It will be interesting to see what our blueline looks like next year. I have to think Grebs now has a target on him to be traded, possibly Gilbert. One of the two is likely gone now with Souray injured, but maybe they make that decision in the summertime when there are not limitations on Souray being moveable.

I wouldn’t be upset at all if all 3 of Gilbert, Grebeshkov and Souray were traded. However, I’d prefer to give Grebeshkov a bit more chance.. and well, I wouldn’t be upset at all if we kept Souray either.

As far as Gilbert, I liked him in his first year and he just hasn’t been the same ever since. Too soft.. too afraid to take a hit (well, maybe not afraid… unwilling), not good enough defensively. I could do without him. Grebeshkov I still haven’t decided on yet. But right now, he makes Tom Gilbert look like Bobby Orr.

11. mrgod2u says:

Grebs hasn’t done anything to warrant a salary upgrade this off-season, but it will be up to him where he wants to go as a UFA (correct me if I’m wrong there but since he went through arbitration isn’t this the case). I don’t think he will pull down any more anywhere else, but he might want a change of scenery and someone will offer him money as a 6th d-man. Souray will be trade-bait this summer, his bad season here will not be noticeable in hindsight with the missed injury time. Visnovsky might be gone by the deadline if the offer is right (a darn shame, but what do we need a defenseman of his quality for next year?). I think we aim to keep Gagner and Cogs if we can free up enough cap to match any offer sheets that come in. Nilsson has earned a spot as has Potulny and Penner. Convince Pisani to retire, deal Moreau. Let Horcoff get healthy and then keep him around to teach the young guys to take faceoffs, whatever, his cap hit is less of a problem if we ice a team next season with young players in development and role players on 1-year low cost salaries. Then when the hit is diminished buy him out, or trade him, or maybe he finds his game and is less of an overpayment… whatever.

Take our lumps next year and start competing for the cup the year after. Anything less than that and we might as well not rebuild at all.