More(au) trade talk

By , January 27, 2010 7:10 pm
Sums up how we all feel watching the team this year..

Sums up how we all feel watching the team this year..

Was listening to the Team 1260, and Jason Gregor mentioned that there are 3 teams interested in Ethan Moreau – Anaheim, Los Angeles, and San Jose. So for those of you saying that these big contracts are immovable, you may be surprised. I think Staios is another guy that Tambellini might be getting a couple of calls about (as far as guys who surprisingly have value). So as I’ve said before, I do think that Tambellini does have the ability to drop significant salary. Of course we won’t likely get much in return for Moreau/Staios, but I’m fine with that.

There’s also been some talk (by fans) of moving Souray to the Ducks for Guigere. I would have to presume that more would come our way as well, but the thought process there is that we’d be gaining a year’s worth of salary cap hit because Guigere’s contract expires a year earlier than Souray’s. I am not sure if we talked about it here too, because that sounds familiar to me. But I just wanted to say I’m not a fan of the idea at all. Wanted to hear what you folks had to say on the matter.

UPDATE:
One more topic I wanted to throw in here.. in the Metro today there was an article suggesting that Gagner and Cogliano should be sent to the minors for development reasons. Wanted to get some reaction on that too. First off, unless I’m completely mistaken (and I doubt I am in this case) both would have to clear waivers, which makes the idea completely unthought out. Secondly, even if they didn’t need to clear waivers, why would we do that? Gagner is doing his part right now. Cogliano really is maybe just in need of more decent linemates (although he’s had Penner/Gags recently). Anyways, seemed like a silly idea, waivers-aside.

43 Responses to “More(au) trade talk”

1. MetalOil says:

I would rather keep Souray then have two goalies with big Cap hits like that.

2. Horpensky says:

Picking up JSG would be a terrible idea. Next year we would have a 4 headed goalie monster, and that’s the last thing Tambo needs is to create another mess he has to clean up.

I’d say trade Souray to the Coyotes for the Flames’ 1st rounder, so we have even more reason to cheer for the Flames tank ;)

3. MetalOil says:

I like it Horps!!! I like it a lot!!!

haha First off, my thoughts about having 10-ish Mill in goaltender salary is about the same – horrible idea. But I believe the people floating the idea also suggest that Deslauriers and Dubnyk aren’t worth hanging on to. So there is no 4-headed monster. And quite frankly, Giguere (I decided to start spelling his name correctly) or not, they still need to make a decision on Dubnyk or Deslauriers eventually anyways. But I think the point was to cut both lose… I assume.

But yup, MO summed my feelings.

Souray should be moved for some young assets if possible. I’m OK with taking on a fair sized contract (preferably short term salary), but it wouldn’t be the centerpiece of the deal.

hehe…yeah, great suggestion Horps.

The Giguere idea is a terrible one as things stand right now, however, IF there was some sort of loophole out of Khabi’s contract like has been suggested there might be(which I doubt) and we were able to unload some other contracts elsewhere, I actually wouldn’t mind having giggy.

but those are some pretty massive “ifs” and extremely unlikely.

but yeah…Khabi, Giggy, JDD and DD. no way.

Even if it was just Khabi and Giggy it’d be a huge NO.

Truth is with the Goalie situation, no way getting around it come October next year Khabibulin will be starting goaltender (assuming that he resumes his course of healing – even taking to account if it takes him a little longer). There is no way around it, since he’s injured we can’t possibly trade him and both JDD and Doobie will be fighting for their positions this year as a spot on this team.

If the Oilers chase for another goaltender I will have lost all faith in this management. It’s one thing for the players to say: “we still have hopes for the playoffs/taking it one game at a time/I don’t look at the standings I play every game” because really would you want your players in your franchise saying “we given up/tank this season and hope for next season/we suck but there’s not much we can do”… no, no we wouldn’t no matter what the reality is.

The best thing, personally in my opinion, for this organization to do is clear up as much cap room as we can, maintain our core/trade away our assets (TANK) and attain some good/cheap vets in the off season and maybe make a few moves.

I was watching TSN earlier and Bob Mac was mentioning the price for Kovie, something like a good young player (1st liner), a great prospect up and coming and a few picks or first round pick. What scared the crap out of me is the thought of Tambi chasing Kovi and offering him a stupid contract and making our cap woes that much worse (and losing our first pick+someone like Gagner). We may have a bonafied superstar but I don’t want a two line team next year, that’s not the way to ‘re-build’ in my opinion.

Added another topic to the post.. in the Metro a writer suggested an off-the-wall idea (which if you read above is flawed, and well… just not a good idea) of sending Gagner/Cogliano to the minors for development reasons. Lets assume that waivers weren’t an issue though (apparently the writer didn’t think of that).

First off – absolutely love that picture (as I wipe the coffee off my monitor)…

Just say no to JSG. He and I go way back – right to the Moosehead days. Love him, but IMO he’s a pure puck blocker who is going to progressively become less effective as the goalie equipment continues to get smaller. I could be wrong, but that’s my gut feel, just based on the way he plays.

JSG & Khabi – no thanks. I’d rather get some picks/prospects for Souray or just keep him as opposed to tying up that kind of cap hit in 2 goalies. I hope this is just talk by fans like you say. Talk about double handcuffing the team!

as for Moreau getting traded…YES PLEASE!!!!!

There are a few Oilers I just want gone, I honestly don’t care if we get anything in return.

namely, Moreau, Staios, and Horcoff…give me a 10th round pick and you can have ‘em.

Not that I don’t think they have value, each one certainly does, I just don’t think they should be part of the Oilers future, and dumping their salary would be of far more value to this team than having them take up roster spots.

Horcoff obviously still has the most value, but that contract just kills his worth, and I doubt any team would take him even for nothing. I actually feel bad for him in some ways.

If Pisani still had term on his current contract, I’d have him on this list too, however since he is UFA, I actually would not hate the idea of keeping him around for a million per, depending on how other thing shake up, but a reasonably paid healthy Pisani could still have a lot of value IMO.

11. MetalOil says:

Both Cogs and Gags are still on entry level contracts right??? Entry level contracts are always 2-ways I think so Yes I think they could be sent to the AHL. I might be wrong as this is all just from my head.

Edit:
    Maybe they have both played too many NHL games to be sent down now.

I think after 160 games, it’s not even a question anymore, they for sure need to clear waivers. But I could be wrong on that.

Oh and btw, 2-way or 1-way means nothing about waiver status. It just has to do with the salary you get if you’re playing in the minors. 2-way means you get AHL salary.. 1-way means you get your NHL salary down there.

edit: just confirmed… >160 games means both have to clear waivers to go down (and well, even less games are required for Cogliano due to age).

gr8one: Yeah, honestly, I’m not at all uncomfortable with our goaltending situation for NEXT year, as a matter of fact, it could be kind of ideal.We go in to camp next year with Khabi as the clear cut #1, and have JDD and DD fight it out for the backup spot.Then, out of whoever wins that battle, hopefully with the experience they gained this season will have helped their development, coupled with a healthy Khabi there to take off the pressure when/if they do falter. and if all goes well, let them split the games and ride the hot goalie when whomever gets hot.and if by the end of next season neither JDD or DD seem to be showing signs of being a legit NHL starter than they probably never will and cut our losses with them at that point.looking at it like that, Khabi’s third year isn’t even so bad, because he could still be around to be a backup/insurance policy for whichever starter we end up having whether it be JDD or DD…or if it’s decided by then that they both aren’t starter material, than Khabi could still be a pretty good presence to have as a backup/1b goalie.however….I can’t wrap my head around any sort of logical thought process to having Khabi around for that fourth year.

Yeah, assuming we keep JDD and Doobie for the remainder of the season I can see Doobie panning out a bit more than JDD, from what I saw so far/heard. I know I haven’t seen too many games with Doobie in net but JDD always seems to let one or two soft ones in. I know it’s his first actual season but still there’s something about Doobie. For our goaltender dept. and the sake of tanking I say keep the goalies we have for the remainder of the season.

And on the updated note, not thought out at all. Assuming it did work our team is bad but you can only go so far with a young player before you can’t send him back anymore. Instead of ‘developing’ I’m afraid it’d only be two steps back.

Yah, really, I thought it was a pretty oddball suggestion, to demote those two to the AHL.

And as far as the goaltending situation, until Khabi is off the team, I think we ride out Doobie and/or Deslauriers. My choice would be Dubnyk as well too, although I thought Deslauriers of last year was a decent goaltender. Maybe he’s just a bit rattled right now.

15. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki, is that Racki jr. in the photo?

I agree, no way we trade for Giguere. Giggy has a six million dollar cap hit and if Bulin stays on the books, that will make the worst $9.75 million goalie tandem in the NHL.

I’m not thrilled about our goalie situation next season. Khabibulin’s a big question mark in terms of his health or how effective he will be.

At this point, neither Deslauriers or Dubnyk look like great prospects either. Whichever of these two the Oilers keep, we’ll still be one Bulin injury from another year out of the playoffs.

Hockey Noob: Hey Racki, is that Racki jr. in the photo?

haha yah right :P

And I completely agree on the rest of what you said.

17. Hockey Noob says:

Haha, well you knew that I was joking, so that’s good. How do you use the emoticons on this site?

Good question. :P You can use the standard emoticons though that a lot of sites use, such as : ) , ; ) and : lol : (without spaces of course. But you can also put a post up then edit it and add in the emotes. I don’t know why there isn’t an “advanced” kind of posting method where you can do more stuff though, like the edit allows. (and I mean the edit in the top right corner of the message)

I’m not interested in another declining goaltender for a good player. Some good prospects and a 1st rounder, yes. Giggy; No.

I’m not surprised somebody like NJ would be interested in Staios. They have a history of taking perceived junk and making it usefull. Brad Lukowich and others come to mind.

As for Moreau, he’s already gone mentaly. You can see it.

Here’s my criterea for moving Souray:

1) It is in the East.

2) Yes I know about his family. I don’t care.

3) Never trade a player within your own conference if you can. Every ex-Oiler that is in the west burns us regularly and one went on to be the last piece of a cup team.

4)This may mean we keep him or trade him in the summer to whomever we want. Don’t be in a rush with Souray. Staios and Moreau I could care less where they go because they are plugs, but I’d still send them to Atlanta just based on principles.

5) I love the archived 24 on Global. I’m all caught up now.

I agree about moving Souray out East, if we can. He might even have some Eastern teams on his list (ex. Capitals). I’d like to honor his list if possible though. He’s been a pretty classy guy. But I’m also OK with him staying here too. I’ve supported him since day one of the trade, through good and bad. I’m in no hurry to see him go. But I completely agree with the sentiment that Giguere is horrible value for Souray and a pointless addition to the team.

If he’s going anywhere in the Wast, then I hope we’re getting another impact player in return. Imagine throwing a bit more LA’s way for Dustin Brown… :P OK, wishful thinking, I know.

21. Haboiler says:

Couple of questions for I’m interested in hearing some response on:

1. If the Oil get out of the Khabby deal, do you do the Souray-Giguere deal knowing he only has 1 year on the contract?

2. Do you know that the Flamers do not have a 1rst round (gone in Jokinen deal) or a 2nd round pick (gone in Rene Bourque deal) in this years draft. With an aging Kipper, Iggy struggling with no secondary scoring and no real scoring prospects (other than Backlund possibly). Do you think we rebound quicker than they do? Unless they unload Regehr or Phaneuf, they could be trouble for a while.

Also for fun, we should do a little prediction contest on which Oil we think will be traded and where. might be neat to see how our GM skills are lol.

22. MetalOil says:

Calgary lost tonight for the 8th straight time. Flames fans must be outraged as they are not as accustomed to long losing streaks like we are. Add it up and Alberta is on a 19 game losing streak in NHL action. That is just nuts.
    (whoop meant to put this in GD)

Ha! Sorry Drop-it but as an Oiler fan nothing would be sweeter (this season) than to see the Oilers get a top 3 pick and the Flames fail to make the playoffs but I still do see the Flamers making the playoffs…

24. DropIt says:

Sigh.

What’s frustrating is the fact that if the entire team wasn’t so got-dang snake bitten, we could have scraped out 3 or 4 wins.
    I don’t even want to talk about it.

In regards to HabOiler, our prospect pool definately isn’t as promising as Edmonton’s is, At least not offensively. Its kind of the same story as it currently is.

Calgary is ballz deep in defensive products (Pelech, Negrin, Aulie, Seabrook, Kronwall, Erixon, etc.) its hard to imagine that 2 or 3 don’t pan out, not to mention Jbo, Giordano, Phaneuf, Johnson, Pardy and Regehr are still young in regards. So I feel we are safe there, and one would think somone will be moved for offensive depth, but it is sutter…

Offensively, We have Backlund, and to a far lesser extent, Nemisz. Safe to say, our prospect pool is about as deep as a petrie dish of my sperm sample.

Goaltending, we are set. Even long after Kiprusoff, we have Leland Irving and Matt Keetley, who are crushing the AHL. And both played for the Canadian WJ team. We have Joni Ortio, who just played for team Finland, in the WJs and David Shantz, who nearly beat out McE for our backup this year.

The difference I think between the 2 teams, is Calgary has many more assets on the Flames to move then the Oilers do.

Long story short, Calgary’s better :P

But seriously, I really don’t think Calgary is in the same position as the Oilers are, which is a complete rebuild.

—————

On topic.
    Moreau, could actually bring in a bit of an overpayment, IMO.
    He would be a great 3rd liner asset to any playoff team and bring leadership.
    I think he could fetch a 3rd rounder and maybe even a longshot prospect (4th or 5th rounder)
    Souray.
    Don’t shoot the messanger, but I would be shocked if he brings in a 1st round pick. I really don’t think he does it. With his age, contract and stats, I just don’t think it happens. But, teams tend to overpay at the deadline. My prediction is a 2nd rounder, a 2nd round prospect and a 3rd/4th round prospect.

Visnovsky.
    Could bring in a 1st rounder, but I’m not sure Edmonton blows it up THAT much, but he fetches more than Sheldon.

First of all, there’s a few interesting names in Calgary’s prospect pool. They don’t sound too bad off, after all. In particular, I think Irving will be a good goaltender for you guys.

Secondly, yes, for sure Visnovsky has the better value than Souray. But I think just like you say, the trade deadline will give Souray enough value for him to provide us with something good in return. It doesn’t have to be a first rounder (although that sure would be nice) but a size upgrade at forward, a defensive/physical defenceman or a prospect would be nice in return.

Yeah, I don’t really think anyone is expecting Souray to bring in a first rounder, if he did I’m sure there wouldn’t be too many fans unhappy about that return.

although, team’s like Phoenix or Boston that have two first rounders this year, or a Washington that will be selecting late in the first round might be more inclined to give one up. who knows.

zackman35: Ha! Sorry Drop-it but as an Oiler fan nothing would be sweeter (this season) than to see the Oilers get a top 3 pick and the Flamers fail to make the playoffs

yes Zackman, there is something that would be sweeter than that, and that would be for Calgary to miss the playoffs, us get a top 3 pick, AND acquire Calgary’s first pick via Phoenix and get a Neonrider out of it.

actually, that might just be cruel. heh

27. neufab says:

I say no to the 10 mil. goalie thing, even if Horcoff was in the deal. It just doesn’t make sense to have that much of the cap tied to the goal tenders. Too bad Horcoff is immovable. Comrie (when healthy) can do Horcoff’s job just as effectively for a lot less money.

TSN’s Dregger mentioned 6 names on the Fan 960 yesterday – Souray, Visnovsky, Moreau, Gilbert, Cogliano, O’Sullivan. In all fairness it is speculation at this point, but I would hate to see Visnovsky go. I’ve wanted to see Visnovsky in an Oiler uniform for about 5 years, and we now have him. I think that the Oiler blue line does need a little upgrading but to dismantle it completely destroys the work (as ineffective as it may be) done to create a puck moving d-core.

I think trading Souray is undesirable except that we should be able to get a good return. If not, then keep him. As for Gilbert, he leads the team in shots, and even though his offensive numbers are down this year, we know he’s got it in him. We would need a good return on him because we need a right handed d-man with more upside than Staios (who is expendable). Trading Gilbert for too little will bite us in the ass.

Trading Moreau seems inevitable. He’s been a good soldier and there seems to be a consensus here. As for Cogliano and O’Sullivan (I would add Nilsson to that list) it’s pretty clear that some of our smaller guys have to go. I’m torn here because I love Cogliano’s speed and think he will become a solid top 6 forward. O’Sullivan was also a guy I have propped up and defended since he came here, and even though he’s been snake bitten, he’s still been more effective than Cogliano. Between the two… it simply depends on who’s coming back, and lets face it, the other GM holds the cards here.

I hope the Oilers get tougher and build a team to finish the year rather than setting up a roster with the expectation of rookies saving the team next year. Make Eberle and MPS earn their spot, because when they’re ready, they will anyway. I would like to see a guy like Girardi come this way as a more defensive defenseman. Up front, maybe Stafford, Colby Armstrong, or from Phoenix, Mueler, or little brother Staal if they get Souray.

I think moving a few players is all it would take. Even though the Oilers are dead last, the margin of separation isn’t as big as it appears. A solid shut down d-man would go a long way, and a couple of bigger forwards with more offensive upside than JFJ and Stortini would make a noticeable difference.

gr8one: hah, I just made a post in another thread about trying to steal Calgary’s 1st round pick away from the Coyotes. I don’t normally take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but if the Flames continued to tank and landed us a top-10 pick, I’d be smiling ear to ear. That’s a long fall for them though. But I guess its possible, especially if they won the lottery.

neufab: I say no to the 10 mil. goalie thing, even if Horcoff was in the deal.It just doesn’t make sense to have that much of the cap tied to the goal tenders.Too bad Horcoff is immovable.Comrie (when healthy) can do Horcoff’s job just as effectively for a lot less money.TSN’s Dregger mentioned 6 names on the Fan 960 yesterday – Souray, Visnovsky, Moreau, Gilbert, Cogliano, O’Sullivan.In all fairness it is speculation at this point, but I would hate to see Visnovsky go.I’ve wanted to see Visnovsky in an Oiler uniform for about 5 years, and we now have him.I think that the Oiler blue line does need a little upgrading but to dismantle it completely destroys the work (as ineffective as it may be) done to create a puck moving d-core.I think trading Souray is undesirable except that we should be able to get a good return.If not, then keep him.As for Gilbert, he leads the team in shots, and even though his offensive numbers are down this year, we know he’s got it in him.We would need a good return on him because we need a right handed d-man with more upside than Staios (who is expendable).Trading Gilbert for too little will bite us in the ass.Trading Moreau seems inevitable.He’s been a good soldier and there seems to be a consensus here.As for Cogliano and O’Sullivan (I would add Nilsson to that list) it’s pretty clear that some of our smaller guys have to go.I’m torn here because I love Cogliano’s speed and think he will become a solid top 6 forward.O’Sullivan was also a guy I have propped up and defended since he came here, and even though he’s been snake bitten, he’s still been more effective than Cogliano.Between the two… it simply depends on who’s coming back, and lets face it, the other GM holds the cards here.I hope the Oilers get tougher and build a team to finish the year rather than setting up a roster with the expectation of rookies saving the team next year.Make Eberle and MPS earn their spot, because when they’re ready, they will anyway.I would like to see a guy like Girardi come this way as a more defensive defenseman.Up front, maybe Stafford, Colby Armstrong, or from Phoenix, Mueler, or little brother Staal if they get Souray.I think moving a few players is all it would take.Even though the Oilers are dead last, the margin of separation isn’t as big as it appears.A solid shut down d-man would go a long way, and a couple of bigger forwards with more offensive upside than JFJ and Stortini would make a noticeable difference.

spot on, chap.

Just want to point out that Nick Boynton is a RHD. Also, it’s unreasonable to think he’d be able to save the team next year (he probably could play another college year anyways), but we have one growing in our back yard as well in Jeff Petry. I think he’ll be a couple of years away, minimum, before he makes regular appearances on the blue line though. It’s too bad we couldn’t pry Pietrangelo away from St. Louis.. he’s a helluva d-man and is also a righty, but that’s a pipe dream.

Neufab, I agree that Souray shouldn’t be traded unless the return is good. There really is no reason to move him if we can move some of the other salary. Although if it’s a choice between moving Souray and Visnovsky, I’m all for moving Souray. I’d also be for moving one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov. It might bite us in the ass trading one of them, but so far it’s biting us in the ass keeping them. I haven’t seen enough to think Gilbert is the real deal just yet, but I do get what you’re saying (which definitely is smarter and more patient than what I’m saying).

I would trade Nilsson and O’Sullivan long before Cogliano too. But they likely have less value, despite the fact that our coaching staff has done everything in their powers the last year and a bit to drag him under.

Really the reporters talk about blowing the team up and unloading 35M worth of salary like they absolutely have to. They really just need to clean out enough cash to re-sign the critical players. It would be nice though to unload some dead weight like Moreau, Horc, etc. (I say dead weight, but I mean guys that can be replaced for cheaper).

I’m cautioning against Mueller. Seems pretty high risk. But some of the others you mentioned would be great for sure. But we need guys who will score consistently, not more question marks.

31. neufab says:

I agree that Mueller is high risk and see him as part of a package, and NOT the main piece of that package.

If by some miracle Horcoff was traded, I would be in favor of bringing back Kotalik. Also overpaid, but not as much as Horc. Somewhat streaky, but I liked him with Gagner. Kotalik plays his size and has that shot which we would miss if Souray goes. Plus he liked it here. Is there any reason to think we can’t bring back ex-Oilers… the Rangers are hurting, so maybe Girardi & Kotalik is doable.

As I think about some comments by the “experts” I think that the media, and some of the fans undervalue the effect that Souray can have on a contending team. I think the Oilers have a right to ask a lot for him. Minimum proven top 6 forward.

Who’s on your list.

(my keyboard is gimped and can’t use my punctuation properly)

I’m going throw a crazy one out there for everyone what are your thoughts on trading Penner? Maybe I should make that a poll. He wasn’t invaluable to everyone until this year, and he’s starting to fall out of favor again recently…. is he a guy we should hang on to? Or get value for him while we can just in case he busts again?

Personally, I say keep him still (unless a big trade comes along that you can’t refuse), but just wondering what the thoughts were from everyone.

33. MetalOil says:

I would have to see what the return was for Penner to have an opinion on it. Right now I lean to keeping him because of a healthy Hemsky back next season on his line. They have good chemistry.

Yeah…my opinion on trading Penner would be highly dependent on the return we’d get for him.

35. neufab says:

Although no one is “untouchable” if we get back Ovechkin or Crosby (snow storm warning at the equator?), but I think Penner has yet to hit his prime. Penner stays IMO.

Any one know much about Jared Staal (Phoenix)?

36. DropIt says:

Penner played out of his mind this year. His return would be pretty good. I think worth shopping around anyways while his stock is so high.

Racki: you wil NEVER get our pick!!!
    Mainly because Daryll is the only GM who can bitchslap Pheonix into taking our trades. :P

Also, I’m not sure what Edmonton gives up for that pick, but it likely is a lot.

Racki: gr8one: hah, I just made a post in another thread about trying to steal Calgary’s 1st round pick away from the Coyotes. I don’t normally take pleasure in the misfortune of others, but if the Flamers continued to tank and landed us a top-10 pick, I’d be smiling ear to ear. That’s a long fall for them though. But I guess its possible, especially if they won the lottery. Really though, just another 1st would be nice. They could even land Campbell around 15th or so.

This I would like to see as well. I can see Grebs getting moved and he would likely get a first rounder or Mueller + 3rd.

My ideal situation is we get Calgary’s 1st and Toronto’s first. That way we can draft Hall, possibly Seguin/Fowler and Nightrider.

Boston would take Penner or Viser, and we’d get 1st rounder plus likely Ryder and a prospect

Moreau and Pouliot to Phoenix for Calgary’s first? Maybe a dream. Souray maybe, but it cuts against my desire to see him out East. POS was had for a 2nd rounder basically, so maybe POS and another similar player to Pho for their first. Maybe Gilbert?

lol Nightrider… that guy is going to have a 100 different awesome nicknames.

So far: Neato-rider Niterider and Nintendorider

And Phoenix wouldn’t give up Calgary’s first for Moreau + Pouliot (I would hope.. well, I’d hope they’d do it, but that wouldn’t be a good trade for them).

And I would LOVE it if they traded POS+Gilbert for a first. That’s a lot of salary though, so we’d probably have to take a player in return.

hehe…yeah, I call him Neonrider, but so far Nightrider is by far my favorite.

40. DropIt says:

Sorry Chuck, but I think you may be over valuing a couple of your players. But If tambellini manges to get even 1 more first rounder, Oiler nation should be ecstatic. That would definately be a young, dynamic team in the future

41. MetalOil says:

I like to call him Neat”O”Rider
    Besides whoever gets the top 3 or 4 picks I think the team that drafts him wins the draft.

I agree, M.O… on the winning the draft stuff.

43. Craig Simpson says:

I can’t imagine what tool came up with the Giguerre for Souray scenario. That sounds like Eklund Twatwaffle stupidity. The only way you trade Souray is if you shed a lot of salary and get a good prospect or two in return. Tambellini would get a lengthy, rude email from me if that ever went down.

I think the best scenario is if we could unload Moreau and Staios. That sheds almost as much salary as Souray and if we get a bag of pucks for either of them, that would be just fine. They’d both be off the books and we’d have breathing room. Not to mention I think their leadership has been wholly inadequate.