Monday Morning Standings

By , January 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Fix it. I don't care how. Just make this team respectable again.

This shit is embarrassing.  I hate the fact that this team has become the laughing stock of the league.

And I still have 5 or 6 more games in my mini-packs.  Just garbage.

Katz, Tambellini or Lowe, I don’t care who, you need to fix this.  Unless I see something that indicates that you are trying to fix this I am not spending a dime on anything Oiler related.*

And a lottery pick ain’t going to fix it.

Conference Standings

St Louis Blues 48 49
Tampa Bay Lightning 48 48
Columbus Blue Jackets 51 47
Toronto Maple Leafs 50 43
Edmonton Oilers 48 37
Carolina Hurricanes 48 35

In the pool, Racki is still first, while myself and Trogdor are 3rd and 4th respectively.

*Who am I kidding.  I love this fucking team.

22 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

You say a lottery pick won’t fix things. It won’t fix things alone, Hall will be a huge piece to the puzzle if we get him. Remember we still got Omark, MPS and Eberle too. These guys do suck and I won’t be buy any new oilers gear anytime soon, or at least till next year…..

We’re going to have a traffic jam next year of players wanting to get in… Rajala, Hartikainen, Omark, MPS, Eberle, our 2010 pick (btw, stop talking like Hall is our guaranteed pick already). I think some of those prospects may have to go. I’m not so sure we’ll see Omark here, just given that he was a bit insistent on going to the KHL before the season started. He does have an out to come here this year, but do we have room?

I personally am on the fence, wondering if he’s the real deal, or just another youtube sensation.

lol Racki I just realized I could jinx it……..I think the Oilers have room for Omark and that he and Svensson (both swedes) would work well together. I think Rajala and Hartikkaen will play in the AHL, same with Lander and Kyntar, and most likely Jeff Perty and Chris Vande Velde. Eberle and Svensson seem to be locks to make the team, as does our 1st round pick, whom ever it may be (Hall/Seguin/Fowler) Chorney and Peckham are locks to play full time next year and If Omark comes over I think he makes the team. Omark is putting up good numbers in the KHL right now. He was great in the SEL (or where ever he played in Sweden) and is good in the KHL, he will be a fine NHL’er. Oh and Racki Schremp is putting up some okay numbers, comparable to Shawn Horcoff at about 6 mil less…..

4. neufab says:

There aren’t many rookies that make an immediate impact big enough to change the fortunes of a team. A couple of years ago we thought that Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson would be a top NHL line by about this time. For a decade now we’ve been told that this team’s potential is about to break out. It will be hard to undo some of the wrongs committed by the Oilers organization.

Gagner was good enough to make the Oilers roster when he did if you look at who didn’t make it (Schremp fans insert argument here). What does that say except that the roster was weak and Gagner’s growth is likely stunted due to the fact that the Oiler’s brass and many of us thought that a trio of second year players would resurrect the ’06 playoff run.

Now we’re “developing” (or destroying) our prospective goaltenders and leaving them out to dry without any support. I am not getting my hopes up on prospects. A good organization recognizes that good prospects need to come up under an established and competent core. They need the freedom to grow into their potential. The NHL is a tough league to crack, and harder to excel in. Where is the support?

Lets just let them loose for a few years and then wonder why their confidence and development and mental state is not where we want. Then lets trade them for more prospects because these didn’t pan out… and when that doesn’t work lets try it again.

A “team” is more than a collection of the best available players, ie. NY Rangers prior to salary cap… and still going.

I think a starting point is to examine each players game during a period where they were successful, and then ask: what were they doing to gain that success? Which players (or player types) assisted in that success? And what will it take to create an environment where that success can be surpassed?

I believe that this team (and those up and coming) have talent. The current team is not unified though, and it lacks the right complementary players, and does not have a player that is easily identified as their leader (unless one looks for a “C” on one of the jerseys). The Oilers had their heart cut out when Smyth was traded, and although that discussion has been beat to death, my point is that the void is still there, and the machine is keeping this team alive. As far as production AND determination AND net presence AND heart AND positive attitude AND identifiable leadership, which player can fill that void?

neufab: I particularly like how you focused on how this organization brings up our prospects. It’s kind of the ‘throw them in the water because it looks like they can swim’ and we hope they swim. For the past few years this is exactly what the Oilers have been doing, as you mentioned and it’s getting sickening to watch a lot of our prospects ending up as busts (well what seem like busts). We traded away one of our top prospects (Schremp) because he didn’t ‘fit’ in our system. I think it looks like there is some room for him now but I guess that deals more with the hind-site.

Point is, like neufab mentioned, prospects develop a lot better around a strong ‘core’ so they have something to emulate and develop into. Where as if you plunk a whole bunch in the line-up then it is, well we know the picture. Looking back we had guys filled with passion in our 06 cup run, Smith, Smyth, Laraque, Staois (still brings it out almost every game), Moreau (what he use to be), Peca, Stoll etc. We had an actual NHL team, not just the Edmonton Falcons.

Here is a list of what the management should focus on:
    a) Make a lot of moves this season/off-season and acquire some guys that help bring in some identity/passion.

b) Focus on what we have and not run out throwing stupid amounts of money towards a contract at an elite level player (Not too sure many elite players would ‘want’ to play here).

c) Not trying to rush on bringing up more than two players ( two forwards and two defense) that haven’t played at least a full season of hockey.

d) Buy out certain contracts (esp. Khabi’s), I don’t think he’ll ever play the same caliber again and if he does we’ll always be thinking band-aid in the back of our minds.

e) I’m pretty sure they know this last one, aim to draft high in the first round but don’t solely depend on the pick. He will help our team but he can’t save it alone.

Just a quick note on point D, zack…. can’t buyout Khabi… we’re stuck with that salary, like it or not. The only way it comes off the cap is if he’s on the LTIR, or is traded or is claimed on waivers (in which case we still are stuck with half the tab if its on re-entry waivers, I believe).

Btw, again.. look forward to a big write-up on some draft info. All done, but since tomorrow is a game-day, I’m going to put it up tomorrow night after the game or early Thursday.

7. Horpensky says:

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think one of the things that irritates me the most about this season is that we keep talking about the rebuild, but for me this season is the rebuild. Last year is when the rebuild should have started. We’re already a year behind. They should have fired MacT 25 games into last season and brought in Quinn after the WJ’s. They would have spent the remainder of last season assessing talent and implementing the new system. The offseason could have been spent doing what we are likely going to be doing this offseason, unloading our vets.

I agree with Steve-O’s original post though. I just want to see something getting done this season to show that we’re on the right track to rebuilding. Nice to see some coverage on TSN about this. Sometimes image is everything. When Katz and Tambs start getting negative media attention it can sometimes spark some action to be taken.

Horpensky: We keep talking about how bright our future is, but we have some bigger problems on the team right now, and unless Tambo gets off his ass and gets rid of the certain players, we won’t get to see Eberle/MPS/2010 1st rounder at all. I don’t want a half ass blow up either, because we’ll just be bringing these kids into a poisoned environment. If Tambo doesn’t send a @#$%ing nuke at this team this offseason, I’d rather see Eberle in the AHL than getting chained to this trainwreck.

I don’t think people are forgetting about the need to blow the team up.. it’s been talked about a lot here. Although I hope Tambellini realizes it needs to be done.

And Mr. M, agree completely. Especially about the timing of the firing and the rebuild. Tambellini is either very patient, or doesn’t know when to quit.

I think Colorado is a pretty good indicator that we don’t have to suck next year and that going with a massive youth movement and starting your young kids sooner rather than later is not necessarily a recipe for disaster.

I truly believe that if management plays it’s cards right, gets rid of some baggage, brings in a couple of pieces that we are lacking that this team can be very very good next year.

an example and not far fetched example might look something like this….

Penner Gagner Hemsky
    Cogliano Hall Eberle
    MPS Horcoff O`Sullivan
    JFJ Malhotra Stortini

Visnovsky Volchenkov
    Gilbert Grebeshkov
    Boynton Smid

Now, I`ve inserted some names that may or may not be available, but am using the names as examples of the TYPE of player we need, and are usually readily available at reasonable prices. ( although Volchenkov might be a a fair cap hit, but less than Souray is currently)

But that lineup would give us three pretty scary scoring lines, and a big, gritty shut down line that would be capable of scoring a few goals too.

it also gives us decent size throughout the lineup, and our D corps still has a lot of offense, but gets meaner and grittier, and a lot more capable of shutting down other teams.

we`ll have Hemsky back for a full season(we hope) and as bad as Horcoff has been and as much as he is overpaid, I think we can all generally agree he`s not nearly as bad as he has been this season and is not playing very healthy, couple that with a guy like Malhotra that can do all the utility work Horcoff has been forced to do, he could finally be able to focus more on his offense and not get overused doing other things.

and of course, let`s just assume that the current Oilers not listed in the above lineup have either been traded for picks/prospects, demoted or bought out.

one final note on Horcoff though, even though I think he is better than he has been getting credit for, the only reason I kept him is because I think it’s unreasonable to think that he is tradeable, if Tambi could get rid of him for anything I say do it…but that’s unlikely, and if next year comes and he still sucks hind banana like this year than either bury him, or buy him out.

12. neufab says:

Tambellini is now into his 3rd year and he has not shown Oiler fans that he has the ability to take action. He’s been slow to address the needs of this team. I’ll give him credit for bringing Cole in and out, and for getting Kotalik (briefly), and for attempting to upgrade the goalie situation. It’s like washing your car to fix the engine – you may be doing something, but not solving the problem. A creative mind could move even Horcoff (not that it’ll happen). At the very least, I think the fans need to see that there is a plan going forward that is beyond the status quo. Oiler fans will be more willing to wait if they see progress; in the RIGHT direction.

Steve-O: gr8one: that second line gets destroyed in my opinion, and because Quinn doesn’t line-match/shelter lines (like mac t did with bobby and the canucks two years ago) their minus totals will be off the charts

yeah…I can’t necessarily say that I disagree with you to be honest, and when I was typing that I knew it was a very real possibility…but on the other hand, Hall has decent size, and if we were to draft him, and he were to crack the lineup he’d be even bigger/stronger next year, and yeah, Eberle and Cogliano are small, but Eberle seems to play bigger than he is, but more than anything that line is fast…it might end up being the fastest overall line in the NHL, especially Cogs and Hall…couple that with the fact that it being our second line, the opposing teams will likely be playing their shutdown guys against our first line.

having said that though, it certainly wouldn’t be a bad thing if some of those rumors out there brought us a Nathan Horton or Brandon Dubinsky to slot in on that second line somewhere.

by the way…Quinn’s “hind banana” sure is fucking catchy…

haha, yah the hind banana comment is everywhere now.

16. neufab says:

17. Trogdor says:

I know he’s a Sabre, that’s about it. Hearing some rumors?

Hey guys, there is a really good article at Lowetide relating to this exact topic. I find it pretty interesting and I think you will too. It focuses on how the rebuild doesn’t have to necessarily be a process that lasts a few years, like a lot of the media portrays it as.

One thing I really like about it is how it talks about the prospects development and how it would be nice to see them in their given leagues as opposed to rushing them in.

Lowetide: I wonder what would happen if the Oilers simply addressed need and for once didn’t worry about developing any more kids. Here’s what 2010-11 might look like:

* First round pick summer 2010: back to junior
    * Jordan Eberle: Springfield
    * MPS: Timra

Anyways I recommend looking into it.

Anyways, yes… with the prospect pool we now have, we don’t need the full scale rebuild. We just need better complementary players that aren’t making more money than the guys that actually effing do something.

neufab: I’m not that familiar with the east, anyone know how available Drew Stafford is?

I know his name was thrown about earlier this year. There’s more info on it on this article on the foil: “Gilbert For Stafford … would you do it?”. Basically to sum up, apparently a reporter said “A source in Edmonton says the Oilers would trade puck-moving defenseman Tom Gilbert in a heartbeat for Drew Stafford, if the Sabres were interested.”

That’s about it. Nothing substantial.

21. neufab says:

I missed that one because I was unaware that the discussion ever existed. Kind of funny though. The reason I asked is because I have watched him play a couple of times this year after the Sabres played Edmonton. I recall that he got a goal, and remember liking how he played and have been thinking that the Oilers need a guy like that. Especially because he is a right handed right winger with size, and with an Edmonton connection. He reminded me of a more skilled version of Moreau. I picture him playing with Cogs/O’Sullivan and Brule. Gilbert is too high of a price though. I still think that Gilbert is our Gagner on D.

22. neufab says:

Racki: Yah some of us have been saying the same thing here. We don’t need the whole 5-year plan rebuild. The rebuild started long ago.. we’re actually in a rebuild already. It was just fucked up beyond all recognition. So it’s more about setting it straight. Again, I personally think it’s a matter of moving some of the salary that we can, and replace our complementary players. I think we have a decent core group, of which Horcoff, Moreau and Pisani are NOT a part of. I got into this argument on HFBoards about it. Just because they’re high paid guys, doesn’t make them the core. I am a bit too lazy to list off all the guys who I consider the core, but Hemsky, Gagner are obvious ones, as well I’d say Visnovsky (again.. I beg people to stop putting him in trade ideas, no matter how valuable he can be in a trade).

I completely agree on all your points. What I don’t understand for the life of me is how this organization fails to see and address the holes in the roster. How is it that these guys who control this team for a living fail to see the obvious? Are they blind? Do they not care? Are they incompetent?

Maybe it’s just me, but I have higher expectations of this organization. I will vehemently argue that the rebuild started when Smyth was traded. I simply don’t buy that deals can’t be done. With all the salesmanship used on the fans, clearly they have the ability to sell an idea. Why not use those skills to move guys and acquire those who you need. The Oilers have 26 players listed on their roster not including their prospect pool. They don’t need to sell the farm, but they do have enough assets to be able make some moves.

Kenny Rogers once said “you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, and know when to run”. I am questioning if the Oiler “management team” has a clue on any of those.

… please prove me wrong, because then we all win.